dannydan

Ponder, perhaps CHEW on this!

i am so not part of this problem and thus i'm not turning a blind eye to it.

Of course you are. I mean, you say you know a millionaire who's getting government assistance, but you're unwilling to do anything about it. Pretty much the definition of the phrase.
Or, wait, was your story just BS? Is that why you won't name him and say what he's getting?

are you really this deep into self rightousness man? Tell ya what BRO, i'll give you this and i'm done, They live in Washington D.C. Now YOU go read their tax laws and find the loophole for anyone that makes over $1,000,000 and is eligible for dental assistance for their family and YOU fix it! ciaos

OH . . . so you mean the vast majority of Republicans in the House and Senate. I see. You were generalizing. YOU don't actually know A millionaire. You were just using hyperbole to make it sound as if you did and couldn't admit it without being pressured. Ah . . . I see.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Would food stamps and/or public assistance be OK as long as you got to personally approve anyone who was to receive it?

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

any able bodied PERSON that can work, type, drive, pick up trash along our curbs, fix a meal for a disabled VETERAN, etc etc etc does not need food stamps and i'm living proof! Never needed assistance making sub 30k with family of five two of which are 14 months apart and in diapers some twenty years ago! Does ANYONE know WHY social security and WELFARE was started in the first place???

ya'll def don't want me as the king of the have and have nots! I'd be marked man! lol ;)

Take for instance that young lady testifing to Nancy Pelosi about WHY she deserves handout pills for birth control! Are you freaking kidding me? No, yer not, and THATs whats really really sad about some thinking in this world muchless our country... :(

So a sample of one is plenty to generalize from. Good to know.

Therefore, any able bodied person can put themselves through a private university, graduating with little or no debt. I'm living proof. It's easy. :|

What are you doing to improve the situation? Just bitching about it? Voting?

Have you provided any work for anyone? Work that paid enough for them to live and eat in your community?

Wendy P.

There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Have you provided any work for anyone? Work that paid enough for them to live and eat in your community?

that hurts! The knife you stab me with and you just twist and twist and twist....

do you ask this of ALL the ones you know that are employees of some company?

From Social Security Facts

the Social Security Act itself was much broader than just the program which today we commonly describe as "Social Security." The original 1935 law contained the first national unemployment compensation program, aid to the states for various health and welfare programs, and the Aid to Dependent Children program.

According to Wikipedia

A limited form of the Social Security program began as a measure to implement "social insurance" during the Great Depression of the 1930s, when poverty rates among senior citizens exceeded 50 percent.[12] The stock market crash of 1929 had destroyed the value of many Americans' retirement savings, and bank failures did further damage.

There's a lot of stuff floating around the internet about Social Security (among a lot of other things). Don't believe everything you read on the internet, even if it panders to what you want to believe. A comforting lie or partial truth is still a lie or partial truth.

Wendy P.

So a sample of one is plenty to generalize from. Good to know.

Therefore, any able bodied person can put themselves through a private university, graduating with little or no debt. I'm living proof. It's easy. :|

Wendy P.

You are missing his point. Those on welfare and other public dole do not sit around all day in a vegitative state. They can do SOMETHING, even if it's something menial.

You are missing his point. Those on welfare and other public dole do not sit around all day in a vegitative state. They can do SOMETHING, even if it's something menial.

I completely agree. Did you read the part that anyone who is not working and on food stamps has to both look for work actively, AND do at least 20 hours a week of volunteer work? And if they're working fewer than 20 hours a week, they still have to make up the time in volunteer work.

There is way too much of an entitlement mentality among some people. The 1996 welfare reform was, on the whole, a good thing, and there should be a periodic purge of the system, much as there is of the political system. There is no perfect static system.

But there is, in fact, legitimate need, and if you meet some of the people who are in need, you begin to see them as people, rather than as lazy losers.

Wendy P.

OH . . . so you mean the vast majority of Republicans in the House and Senate.

Actually, there's more millionaires on the Dem side as I recall.

Nope. At least not according to this article.

Millionaires in House and Senate;

Republicans = 146
Democrats = 103

I will admit I don't have more current figures than Nov. 2011, but I can't imagine the numbers have changed all that much.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

OH . . . so you mean the vast majority of Republicans in the House and Senate.

Actually, there's more millionaires on the Dem side as I recall.

Nope. At least not according to this article.

Millionaires in House and Senate;

Republicans = 146
Democrats = 103

I will admit I don't have more current figures than Nov. 2011, but I can't imagine the numbers have changed all that much.

It's changed since the report that I saw a couple years ago, then.

According to your linked article, neither side has a majority of millionaires, much less the 'vast majority' you claim for the Reps.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

>Those on welfare and other public dole do not sit around all day in a vegitative state.

You are correct. If they do that they are denied food stamps and welfare.

Not always...

A guy I worked with when living in San Diego 'was' playing the system to it fullest. He & his wife were pullin' in 6 figures combined, he had a 2200sqft apartment overlooking the bay that was costing them 125.00 a month after state aid, they were on food stamps and paying only a small percentage of their monthly utilities. New cars, $15,000 Harley, jet skis...

~he use to laugh when telling us all how WE were paying for his fun and how stupid WE were for not taking advantage.

Well...somebody dropped a dime, turns out the state frowns upon things like that, and went after him big-time.

Went from all that to a one bedroom crap apt in the Cajon zone, both quit their jobs in hope on having the bill forgiven...didn't work so it then went to getting divorced and him moving back to Ohio and changing his name.

'Sometimes' playin' the system backfires...couldn't have happen to a 'nicer' more deserving guy! :)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

The only way to get food stamps with more than a 30K gross income is to have a large enough family. And guidelines vary from state to state. This is a good thing, since cost of living certainly varies from state to state.

In New York, as an example (just the first one I found in Google), the family has to be 5 people or more to get food stamps with an income of greater than 30K -- with "people" being verifiable citizens, or verifiable legal aliens who have been here more than 5 years (and that might be state-to-state). There is some variance if there are elderly or disabled in the household.

There are valid objections to how food stamps are administered. It's better to object based on knowledge, rather than just a blanket objection without a lot of fact behind it.

Wendy P.

All of government needs to be cut by about 20%, including welfare and food stamps. You would be suprised how fast things would change once this happens. A good struggle is good for ones characture.

All of government needs to be cut by about 20%, including welfare and food stamps. You would be suprised how fast things would change once this happens. A good struggle is good for ones characture.

That would add about 5 million people to the unemployment list. You really think that would be good for the US economy?

That would add about 5 million people to the unemployment list. You really think that would be good for the US economy?

Yes

Unles it is done it will get worse than your numbers

Doing it now will help things turn around much faster
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

>Well...somebody dropped a dime, turns out the state frowns upon things like that,
>and went after him big-time.

Good - sounds like the system worked.

When I was jumping at Brown we had a jumper there who decided to declare bankruptcy because he had too much debt. Before he did it he was ordering everything he could - a new rig, an AAD, two mains, a reserve - because "it would be free once they cancelled the cards" according to him. Didn't work out quite as well as he had hoped.

It also pissed me off that he was ordering stuff from Square One. He couldn't even claim that it was some big anonymous company - it was Kate and Tony's company.

>Doing it now will help things turn around much faster

There may be good arguments for doing it now - but it absolutely will make the recovery slower. That might be worth it, but adding 5 million people to the list of people unemployed will damage the economy.

>Doing it now will help things turn around much faster

There may be good arguments for doing it now - but it absolutely will make the recovery slower. That might be worth it, but adding 5 million people to the list of people unemployed will damage the economy.

Disagree

Removing gov will help the economy return much faster

And over say a year I think a large portion of those numbers could come from attrition such as retirments

I also think you agree that what evey tactic is taken there will be short term pain
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

Not sure what you mean with that sentence. Worse as in more employees? Worse as in ven more people unemployed? Worse as in a worse economic environment?

I doubt you will find too many respectable economics who would agree that adding 5 million people to the ranks of the unemployed will speed up recovery. How exactly do you think that would work?

>Well...somebody dropped a dime, turns out the state frowns upon things like that,
>and went after him big-time.

Good - sounds like the system worked.

In that case it worked surprisingly well.

My understanding is, it was fairly quick from the time the abuse being reported to seizing all assets and then tallying a bill for repayment...something like 60-90 days.

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Not sure what you mean with that sentence. Worse as in more employees? Worse as in ven more people unemployed? Worse as in a worse economic environment?

I doubt you will find too many respectable economics who would agree that adding 5 million people to the ranks of the unemployed will speed up recovery. How exactly do you think that would work?

If you cut government spending by 12% this year and 12% next year and did it at 1% per month, the economy would not even feel the change. the economy would actually improve and unemployment would drop as the cuts took place.