Stumpy

If you MUST teach creation myths in science class...

I'm open to the Roving Philosopher stories and the teaching of the importance of certain character attributes as a means of living in harmony. Most of the rest is BS made up by a politicized organization long after Jesus died.

Like what?

Almost certainly the story of his birth.

Advertising: the second-oldest profession in the world.

I'm open to the Roving Philosopher stories and the teaching of the importance of certain character attributes as a means of living in harmony. Most of the rest is BS made up by a politicized organization long after Jesus died.

Like what?

Almost certainly the story of his birth.

Well I guess that's where our faith differs...

Well again, it's not about faith, it's about facts.

Just consider one of the less controversial aspects for many of the faithful, the Census of Quirinius.

It's like one of those details that gets placed into an urban legend to make it sound more plausible, but in doing so pretty much proves it's fiction.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

No, my attitude is simply that, in the interest of a well-rounded education, students should be shown that other ideas exist or have existed.

Fine, as long as you're teaching them why those other ideas are wrong.

Teaching one side of ANY story is brainwashing as determined by whoever is deciding which one side is to be taught.

Nonsense.

You don't ask for alchemy to be taught alongside chemistry. You don't ask for flat earthism to be taught alongside geography. You don't ask that Aristotelian gravity be taught alongside physics. And these are among the least ridiculous examples that are parallels of teaching creationism alongside evolution. The only difference is that creationism comes from your religion. That's the reason you want it taught.

I'd rather have a thinker than a regurgitator. Providing both sides of the story will help them learn to think.

You teach people to think by teaching them how to arrive at the right answer. Teaching science isn't just about teaching facts, it's about teaching how those facts were found and how the theories that tie them together were developed.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

What would be the political motive for making that part up?

I think you'd be better off using the Pauline letters and writings of Peter to build a case for political motives in scripture...not that I'm saying there were.
Your secrets are the true reflection of who you really are...

Just consider one of the less controversial aspects for many of the faithful, the Census of Quirinius.

It's like one of those details that gets placed into an urban legend to make it sound more plausible, but in doing so pretty much proves it's fiction.

What are the facts, Quade? Do you know?
No, of course not. So, having no foundation to stand on, and considering the multitude of differing opinions on just what the "facts" are, your comment is good for thinking about, but not much more than that. Definitely not for offering proof of anything.

Sorry.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

What are the facts, Quade? Do you know?

I know the census did not occur the way it's described in the New Testament. The Roman records exist to check it against. If something that simple and mundane isn't true, then why should I believe the rest of the more fantastical parts of the Nativity story?

No. It was clearly done for political reasons to in order to place the birth of the man we know as Jesus of Nazareth in Bethlehem to make a connection with David. In modern day terms, it would be called RetCon.
quade -

I know the census did not occur the way it's described in the New Testament. The Roman records exist to check it against. If something that simple and mundane isn't true, then why should I believe the rest of the more fantastical parts of the Nativity story?

Nobody asked you to believe it. So have at it as you will in that respect. Believe what you want to believe and that's fine.

The issue revolves around the fact that there have been so many conflicting translations, transcriptions, interpretations and twistings of every thing written by men of many persuasions and having unknown personal agendas from those times that, as you say, "If something that simple and mundane isn't true, then why should I believe the rest of the more fantastical parts of..." anything?

Apparently you can't believe anything about anything unless multiple versions all come to the same exact conclusions from different writings, eh? Being facetious for a second, I'll say you must have really hard times with news reports with respect to politics and politicians.

No. It was clearly done for political reasons....

Are you sure you know what you are talking about? Are you sure you're on firm ground there?
My money is on No.

Regardless of all that, the point from me to you is that, being so vocal and so positive of your positions, one would think that your statements are based on a solid foundation, and they are not.

Your foundation is no more solid that many others so why all the diatribe against something you cannot be sure of. It only boils down to your beliefs vs others belief. And that applies across the board not just to religions of any sort.

You are making assumptions that have no foundation that you can be sure of. Simple as that.

It's certainly not an assumption to say the census didn't take place as described int he Bible. The Roman records are clear about how they did their census and how they taxed people. There are tons of records about it and none of them match the story in the Bible; especially the bit about having to travel to the city of your ancestors in order to be counted.
quade -

You are a man of great faith...

The original accusation was that most of the NT biblical record was politicized BS...none of you guys even came close to providing anything substantial to support that claim...and I even gave you a hint.

You guys are like grade school creationists trying to debunk evolution....You haven't a clue.:D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Census_of_Quirinius

H.H. Ben-Sasson, A History of the Jewish People, Harvard University Press, 1976, ISBN 0674397312, page 246: "When Archelaus was deposed from the ethnarchy in 6 CE, Judea proper, Samaria and Idumea were converted into a Roman province under the name Iudaea."; page 274: "Josephus connects the beginnings of the extremist movement with the census held under the supervision of Quirinius, the legate of Syria, soon after Judea had been converted into a Roman province (6 CE)."

Spong, John Shelby. Jesus for the non-religious. HarperCollins. 2007. ISBN 0-06-076207-1

Ehrman, Bart D.. Jesus, Interrupted,HarperCollins, 2009. ISBN 0061173932

Ralph Martin Novak, Christianity and the Roman Empire: background texts (Continuum International, 2001), page 293.

Try cracking open more than just one book on the subject.
quade -

So you refuse to answer my questions...you've got nothing. Got it.

Damn...I was hoping to have a meaningful conversation.

You're like a creationist quoting answers in genesis...

It's obvious you don't wanna put much stake into this. Hopefully Pirana has something substantial to contribute...

You bore me tonight. Go to sleep.

Go to sleep? I've got the Superbowl party just staring...we're about to go out into the wilderness and go have some have some fun....please, reread the thread and come up with some legit shit....m'kay? I'll back monday or tuesdaqy......

Wait a second - the article mentions the Scientology creation story as one of the multiple religions they would have to teach. I'm all for the idea of teaching from all sides, but to do so, they would need source materials. The Bible (new and old testaments), you can get for free, since it's well out of copyright. Same for the Quran. Scientology's creation story (per the Scientology website) is contained in The Factors, which is still under copyright, and is sold by the Church of Scientology for $250...

That sure sounds like an expensive curriculum.

just because you tire of the same unanswered basic 1st question, of anything. doesnt make it go away.

True. The irrelevance of the asking that question never ends. Unthinking people continue to ask it.
Maybe you don't know that the question already HAS been answered. I'll repeat the answer here for you:

Asking for physical evidence to prove or disprove a non-physical entity is pointless....there just simply is none to be had either way. Ergo, inanity.

pops you're a flying spaghetti monster
Born ok 1st time.

just because you tire of the same unanswered basic 1st question, of anything. doesnt make it go away.

True. The irrelevance of the asking that question never ends. Unthinking people continue to ask it.
Maybe you don't know that the question already HAS been answered. I'll repeat the answer here for you:

Asking for physical evidence to prove or disprove a non-physical entity is pointless....there just simply is none to be had either way. Ergo, inanity.

We come bearing gifts of meatballs, italian spices and tomatoes...all bow before the great FSM!

Wait a second - the article mentions the Scientology creation story as one of the multiple religions they would have to teach. I'm all for the idea of teaching from all sides, but to do so, they would need source materials. The Bible (new and old testaments), you can get for free, since it's well out of copyright. Same for the Quran. Scientology's creation story (per the Scientology website) is contained in The Factors, which is still under copyright, and is sold by the Church of Scientology for $250...

You can get a pretty accurate description of Scientology and it's origins and beliefs and practices from South Park. In addition to being hilarious, it's also factually accurate.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

-A figment of your imagination.
-An avatar in cyberspace.
-One of the bozos on the bus.
-Any or all of the above.
:D:D

Scientology: Give us all your money

Hey! I could join for $42.95
WooooOHooooo!

>Scientology: Give us all your money

All your money are belong to us.

Beats handing it over to Jerry Falwell, Jim Bakker, et. al, but not by much.