JohnRich

2011 Smashes Sales Record for Guns

No it doesn't, because if John Rich was right the first time the current high sales would not be possible.

Immaterial to the sub-discussion. Makes a nice attempt to sidetrack the discussion, though.

Bill's post:

"people would run to gun stores in droves to buy their guns before Obama became president"

People bought in greater quantity BEFORE possible deleterious changes came into being. This is proven by the sales booms prior to Obama taking office, as well as prior to Roberti Roos (Cali) and the 94 AWB.

"no one would want to buy the "namby-pamby unreliable politically-correct guns" that are all that Obama will allow"

This is supported by the virtually non-existent sales of Cali-neutered guns/mags outside of the state.

Point(s) to JR.

Now, AG Holder is calling for more restrictive gun laws, and sales are again up.

Point to JR.

Duh.

Duh, indeed.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

I have posted this before...I do not own a gun, but let me say to you ...I soon will and i am preparing for what is coming...

“Occasionally the tree of Liberty must be watered with the blood of Patriots and Tyrants.”
Thomas Jefferson

News:
2011 Smashes Sales Record for Guns

"This was a banner year for guns -- 2011 is set to smash the record for gun sales.

"The record for a single year was set just last year, when the FBI reported that 14,409,616 background checks were requested. In 2011 that figure will top 16 million..."
Full story: Opposing Views

If I am in the gun business, I am loving gun control.

It seems like only yesterday when you were claiming that people would run to gun stores in droves to buy their guns before Obama became president, because afterwards no one would want to buy the "namby-pamby unreliable politically-correct guns" that are all that Obama will allow

And Obama's claims and past actions show he wanted to limit gun purchases and remove semi auto weapons and handguns.

It is only his lack of political ability that has prevented him from following through on his goals.

What better idea of what a person plans to do is there than his statements and earlier actions?

Simple question for you: Do you think Obama would ban handguns and semi auto rifles (like he has claimed he wanted to do) if he could and would suffer zero political damage?

>Simple question for you: Do you think Obama would ban handguns and semi
>auto rifles (like he has claimed he wanted to do) if he could and would suffer zero
>political damage?

No, no more so than Romney does. Both are politicians who say things that get them elected - and both have tried to pander to gun control advocates AND gun enthusiasts.

>Simple question for you: Do you think Obama would ban handguns and semi
>auto rifles (like he has claimed he wanted to do) if he could and would suffer zero
>political damage?

No, no more so than Romney does. Both are politicians who say things that get them elected - and both have tried to pander to gun control advocates AND gun enthusiasts.

His 'under the radar' gun control quote seems to disprove your assertion.
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Simple question for you: Do you think Obama would ban handguns and semi auto rifles (like he has claimed he wanted to do) if he could and would suffer zero political damage?

No. I don't think he cares all that much. It's certainly not something he talks about. When was the last speech he gave in which he did?

I think the idea Obama is out to grab your guns is fiction created by the pro-gun lobby and spouted by Wayne at the NRA because it's good for their business.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

No, no more so than Romney does.

Romney is actually WORSE on the 2nd than Obama. He has banned guns.

But you don't think that if Obama (or Romney for that matter) could ban handguns or semi auto weapons with no political fallout that they would not do it?

No. I don't think he cares all that much.

He has claimed that he does care

1. Opposed bill okaying gun use in home invasions in IL.

2. Fact check said this was all true on a survey sent to Obama:
35. Do you support state legislation to:
a. ban the manufacture, sale and possession of handguns? Yes.
b. ban assault weapons? Yes.
c. mandatory waiting periods and background checks? Yes.

3. OBAMA: Let’s be honest. Mr. Keyes does not believe in common gun control measures like the assault weapons bill.
Source: Illinois Senate Debate #3: Barack Obama vs. Alan Keyes Oct 21, 2004

Lets not forget on February 25, 2009, Attorney General Eric Holder declared,
"As President Obama indicated during the campaign, there are just a few gun-related changes that we would like to make, and among them would be to reinstitute the ban on the sale of assault weapons."

The fact is that he knows that it would be a political blow going into the next election. And Heller didn't help his case.

But there are two separate questions:
1. Would Obama (or Romney) ban semi auto rifles if they would not face political ramifications?

2. Do they want to ban them enough to face the consequences of that action?

I think the answer to #1 is yes and #2 is no.

Obama's statements and past voting record supports my conclusion.

2. Do they want to ban them enough to face the consequences of that action?

. . . #2 is no.

So then what's your point? It's like the stupid question in another thread here about IF all the bad effects of burning fossil fuel could be eliminated would environmentalists still be against burning fossil fuel? It's a hypothetical without any basis or possibility in reality.

You might as well ask any one of a number of other mentally mastabatory questions such as how much wood would a woodchuck chuck or who would win in a foot race, The Flash or Superman?
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

>But you don't think that if Obama (or Romney for that matter) could ban handguns or
>semi auto weapons with no political fallout that they would not do it?

Nope. In the absence of a political reason to do so they would not. They're politicians; that's why they do anything.

>But you don't think that if Obama (or Romney for that matter) could ban handguns or
>semi auto weapons with no political fallout that they would not do it?

Nope. In the absence of a political reason to do so they would not. They're politicians; that's why they do anything.

I disagree - they are politicians for one reason, to exercise power over others - rather than as you note, to only accrue a benefit from those actions

political reasons are why they sometimes restrain themselves because their personal desires would threaten the long term retention of that power

I'm sure most politicians have a list of things they'd love to do if only they could get away with it with the political criteria being neutral rather than a benefit

hint - it's all that 'stuff' that both sides try to scare the other side with

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

I think the idea Obama is out to grab your guns is fiction created by the pro-gun lobby and spouted by Wayne at the NRA because it's good for their business.

We can't read his mind and know what he would like to do in the future.
But we do know what his past record is on gun control, and that's very clear.

See: http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2011/12/bruce-w-krafft/just-because-youre-paranoid-about-gun-control-doesnt-mean-they-arent-really-out-to-grab-your-guns/

And given his past anti-gun record, there's good reason to be cautious about what he might still do in the future.

•“Do you support state legislation to … ban the manufacture, sale and possession of handguns? Yes.” (Independent Voters of Illinois/Independent Precinct Organization general candidate questionnaire, Sept. 9, 1996

•“I’m consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.” (Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004)

•“I believe in keeping guns out of our inner cities and that our leaders must say so in the face of the gun manufacturers lobby.” Barack Obama, The Audacity of Hope (2006).

•Obama voted to ban almost all rifle ammunition commonly used for hunting and sports shooting. (United States Senate, vote no. 217, S. 397, July 29, 2005)

•Obama voted to uphold local gun bans and the criminal prosecution of people who use firearms in self-defense. (Illinois Senate, SB 2165, vote 20, March 25, 2004)

•In his only two votes on confirming Supreme Court nominees, Obama voted against two of the five justices (Chief Justice Roberts and Justice Samuel Alito) who later affirmed an individual right to keep and bear arms in the case of District of Columbia v. Heller.
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

>And given Obama's history of not grabbing your guns, Wayne looks like an idiot.

Yep. And given how so many people were buying guns because Obama was going to grab them the instant he got into office - a lot of gun owners look like idiots today.

"Oh, but next time it will be different! He's just waiting to lull us into a false sense of security."

"Sure, he hasn't grabbed our guns yet. But he'll be out of office in just three more years - and at the end of that he'll grab our guns!"

"OK, so he's been out of office for a year now. Everyone has relaxed - which is exactly what he wants! NOW he's going to grab our guns!"

>And given Obama's history of not grabbing your guns, Wayne looks like an idiot.

Yep. And given how so many people were buying guns because Obama was going to grab them the instant he got into office - a lot of gun owners look like idiots today.

"Oh, but next time it will be different! He's just waiting to lull us into a false sense of security."

"Sure, he hasn't grabbed our guns yet. But he'll be out of office in just three more years - and at the end of that he'll grab our guns!"

"OK, so he's been out of office for a year now. Everyone has relaxed - which is exactly what he wants! NOW he's going to grab our guns!"

Swap Bush/Patriot and you have the Dems.
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

No doubt the NRA would deliver that message regardless of his actions, but the actions behind Holder and Fast and Furious give real validity to the paranoia. It shows how low they'll stoop for their cause.

The good part is that guns don't depreciate - they're extremely durable goods and the prices only go up (esp in California). So if you ever plan to buy that gun, there's not a big consequence to buying it now instead of later.

The good part is that guns don't depreciate - they're extremely durable goods and the prices only go up (esp in California).

All thanks to gun control.

Gun control is great for gun business.

only for those who think gross revenue is the end figure.

only for those who think gross revenue is the end figure.

The treat of increased gun control has led to record sales. Would you call record sales bad for business?

you replied to my reference to price. Prices are up because costs are up.

Record sales are great in the short term, although we're talking about a market that does perhaps a couple billion in sales per year. Not exactly big business.