SpeedRacer

Democrat or Republican? Voters say, Fuck both parties

people might be leaving in droves, but sadly, not nearly enough to affect the outcome, which will be either a Dem or Rep government.

The country desperately needs a third and/or fourth alternative.

Too many people voting for one or the other 'because they don't want to other guy to win' instead of voting for what they really believe in, which undermines democracy at its very base.

And the entire system is rigged anyway for the two-party system. Also corrupt and also needs to be fundamentally dismantled. Starting with removing ANY affiliation with ANY party on voter registrations. If parties want to recruit, they can do it on their own.

I would love to see viable alternative political parties. I don't think we will ever see it happen in our lifetime, I think a full on revolt is just as likely, as in not very likely.
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

tea party appears to be doing well. i don't know why they don't pull away from the republicans thus making the republican party the center right party?
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

The only thing that falls from the sky is birdshit and fools!

tea party appears to be doing well. i don't know why they don't pull away from the republicans thus making the republican party the center right party?

The very short answer is: for the same reason national 3rd parties have virtually never been viable in the history of the US: the deck is hopelessly stacked in favor of the permanent exclusivity of the 2 major parties. Been tried, several times, on both sides; always failed.

From the looks of it if you ask me the Teaparty has the angry older white folks vote. And in many states that's enough to get elected!
I think they can and should run on their own ticket.
That would actually put the Republicans in a better standing as center right party.
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

From the looks of it if you ask me the Teaparty has the angry older white folks vote. And in many states that's enough to get elected!
I think they can and should run on their own ticket.
That would actually put the Republicans in a better standing as center right party.

Nope, it would only ensure that Obama gets re-elected.

Look I hate to tell you this but as much of a dumb fuck that Obama is with respect to his inability to lay down the law and lead anything from the government to a freaking dog sled team the Republicans don't really stand a chance in hell at the moment.
The best they have is Newt? The guy who shut down the government 3 times because he was board? The guy who single handedly killed Bush 1.0's re-election?
Yeah ok sure!

The very short answer is: for the same reason national 3rd parties have virtually never been viable in the history of the US: the deck is hopelessly stacked in favor of the permanent exclusivity of the 2 major parties. Been tried, several times, on both sides; always failed.

Teddy Roosevelt & th Bull Moose Party?

Also, Perot stood a decent chance to win, until he started to flake out.
Speed Racer
--------------------------------------------------

I think you are in for a surprise. You under-estimate how fed up people are with Obama including those who worked to get him elected. It's normal to be turned off during the vetting process when every negative aspect of a candidates past is being highlighted. It's quite different when the primaries are over and the different political parties rally behind their chosen candidate and promote the positive aspects.

every negative aspect of a candidates past is being highlighted

Yeah but as it stands....wht +'s do the republicans have thus far?
You have Bush 3.0
You have Healthcare-but wasn't me
You have married 3 times and strange
You have I'm a woman with crazy eyes
And you had that Pizza guy?

Look Obama may have the leadership qualities of a three legged one eyed dog....and the boy can't lead shit....but the republicans are not looking good now either with their love of wall street and saying really dumb shit such as "The poor do not know how to work."

Ah ok!

Give me a third party to really turn things around!

This is always the time we start hearing the calls for a third party candidate. Many envision this savior riding in on a white horse to save us from another candidate with defects ie. th perfect politician.

Hate to tell you but there is no savior. People all have defects and inconsistencies in their behavior and character.

The reality is that should a 3rd party candidate ever win, they would be another sad disappointment because they would have difficulties getting support in Congress for their ideas.

Has there ever been a President without baggage?

There will never be the "perfect" candidate, doesn't mean they wouldn't make good leaders.

Shit, look at just about every single successful CEO. Even Steve Jobs with his seriously fucked up family life still made Apple billions.

We live in reality, everyone has skeletons in their closet.
The feather butts bounce off ya like raindrops hitting a battle-star when they come in too fast...kinda funny to watch. - airtwardo

Teddy Roosevelt & th Bull Moose Party?

Also, Perot stood a decent chance to win, until he started to flake out.

Those examples just demonstrate my point: that third PARTIES (not just the occasional once-off individual CANDIDATE) never get any lasting, viable traction nationally. TR's candidacy was a once-off, made semi-viable only because he was a former president. All he managed to do was suck-away enough votes from incumbent Taft that Taft lost his reelection bid. The Bull Moose "party" was simply the vehicle of TR's personal vanity; and when TR's political viability died, that "party" vaporized.

In 1948, Strom Thurmond's "Dixiecrat" candidacy was a once-off; but the Dixiecrats didn't survive as a 3rd party. Instead, they (the Southern wing of the Dem party) grudgingly re-entered the Democratic party's formal ranks, with some of them starting to go over to GOP with Goldwater in '64, and most of the rest of them shifting to GOP with Nixon in '68; and they remain in GOP to this day, largely as social-issues conservatives.

George Wallace's 1968 campaign was really a once-off, with a base and agenda similar to Thurmond's in '48. The votes his candidacy peeled off were almost exclusively social conservatives, and that came within a whisker of costing Nixon the election. Wallace never established a lasting, viable national 3rd party.

John Anderson's 1980 3rd party candidacy had no lasting 3rd-party effect.

Ross Perot in 1988 was less of a "3rd party candidate" than he was a "3rd candidate". He had enough of his own money to purchase a bit of personal, once-off electoral viability; but what lasting 3rd party structure survived his candidacy? Nothing.

Has there ever been a President without baggage? .... We live in reality, everyone has skeletons in their closet.

Ike didn't have much baggage. His whatever-it-was relationship with Kay Summersby never saw the public light of day back then, and it would have stayed that way. Everyone loved him; and had it not been for the 22nd Amendment, he'd have probably been re-elected in 1960.

What baggage did Gerry Ford have? None that I can think of, until he served in office. Then he was painted by the nation's exhaustion over Nixon and Watergate, plus a (not very deserved) reputation for intellectual and physical clumsiness.

Jimmy Carter's personal background was pretty clean; not much mud could have been slung at him in 1976, prior to his service as President.

every negative aspect of a candidates past is being highlighted

Yeah but as it stands....wht +'s do the republicans have thus far?
You have Bush 3.0
You have Healthcare-but wasn't me
You have married 3 times and strange
You have I'm a woman with crazy eyes
And you had that Pizza guy?

Look Obama may have the leadership qualities of a three legged one eyed dog....and the boy can't lead shit....but the republicans are not looking good now either with their love of wall street and saying really dumb shit such as "The poor do not know how to work."

Ah ok!

Give me a third party to really turn things around!

In the world of politics, sometimes, sadly, you have to vote against one candidate. Not so much as for the other. BHO is a disaster as POTUS. We have a senate that has yet to pass a budget for the last two years. A leader is needed. That leader might not be a saint, or a universally acclaimed all around great guy, but he's got to be better than 4 more years of BHO.

Maybe if the parties worked together for the people, not themselves, we would have leadership.

Wishful thinking. It's all about the power.
There is not a hairs breadth of difference between the inner circles of either party.
When the Demos were in power, Repubs were practically unable to use the Kongressional wash room. Demos are now enjoying the same treatment in the House.
Now that Nelson ( D Neb.) is retiring, the Senate and brain-dead Light Horse Harry Reid are going to feel the reciprocal jolt, too.

Why the "K" in Congress. The "K" is as close to a swastika as I can get.

Duverger's law is what you are referring to. Just a note that while our voting and political system inherently favor a 2 party system, it does not mean it wiill immutably be the same two parties we have now.
"What if there were no hypothetical questions?"

does the Tea Party still exist?

Yeah they do and are doing rather well if you ask me. They are in effect pushing the Republicans around very well.

does the Tea Party still exist?

Yeah they do and are doing rather well if you ask me. They are in effect pushing the Republicans around very well.

people no longer differentiate. They're just asshole republicans now.