rushmc

Ron Paul

Any of them can beat Obama

Hard to believe Gingrich would beat Obama. He's too close to being a bona fide fundamentalist. My perception is that even amongst the conservative crowd he's just a bit too extreme and appeals to a relatively narrow set of voters. No way he can get a majority of the vote - his only hope would be if a 3rd party candidate somewhere between him and Obama on the spectrum steals more from Obama than Gingrich. IMO, nominating Gingrich would pretty much hand the election to Obama.
" . . . the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging them and kicking them into obedience." -- Aldous Huxley

Naive...? Perhaps. I don't think that anyone is saying that RP is not smart. It's his wisdom, or lack thereof, and ability to translate and relate to common sense issues, that is worrisome. As for foreign policy, RP is very poorly informed or unable to grasp the complexity of issues. That RP seeks advice is a good thing. As POTUS, RP would have the final say, though.
I don't think RP is up to the task.

This country is on the wrong path.the founding fathers would be ashamed
Ron Paul is a modern day Thomas Jefferson...:)
“I hope our wisdom will grow with our power, and teach us that the less we use our power the greater it will be.”
Thomas Jefferson

“Peace, commerce, and honest friendship with all nations...entangling alliances with none”
Thomas Jefferson

Ron Paul is warning us about war time conditions.
Just look at our airports...The patriot act ... Homeland security...TSA...now folks we can be held without trial indefinably...

If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy.
James Madison

Thomas Jefferson is my fav American statesman. Having studied TJ, extensively, I disagree that TJ or James Madison would be in RP's corner.
As an aside...Newt Gingrich has a PhD and is a far better speaker.
I disagree with your statement about who our troops support. I am active in Veterans groups and visit our fine troopers at military posts and bases often. I have observed no such massive support for RP. RP supporters keep posting this mantra, but it is unsupportable.
Please refer to my previous posts concerning RP's very serious error about the IAEA reports, which RP said did not exist.
Please refer to post # 58.
Who you vote for is up to you. As long as you do vote, it's kool. However, when you campaign for a candidate you can expect your comments to be closely examined. Especially on DZ. There are some real thinkers here.

He would get my vote as well

Any on that stage would be miles ahead of the one we got now

Ok, lets expand on this. Regardless of who you think the best candidate would be, Newt probably doesn't have much of a chance at beating Obama. Romney would have a decent chance, but definitely not a sure shot. Strategically Ron Paul would be the only definite win for the GOP, IMO. Its likely nearly every GOP candidate including yourself would vote for him over Obama, and you are going to have a landslide of Democrats jumping the fence to vote for Ron Paul over Obama as well. If the GOP had half a brain right now they'd be propping up Ron Paul as much as possible because he's a sure shot. Newt is far too disconnected from the center and left voters to ever get any from that camp. Romney, would get a few, but there are still way too many that would vote for Obama over those two anyday.

If he GOP keeps ignoring Ron Paul and keeps propping up these horrible alternatives, then they're going to piss this election down there leg and we'll see 4 more of Obama.

The GOP does not select which candidates to run. A candidate decides to run and then seeks voter support through fundraising, debates etc. In the end, the GOP does not decide who the eventual nominee is. That's determined by the voters.

Ok, lets expand on this. Regardless of who you think the best candidate would be, Newt probably doesn't have much of a chance at beating Obama. Romney would have a decent chance, but definitely not a sure shot. Strategically Ron Paul would be the only definite win for the GOP, IMO. Its likely nearly every GOP candidate including yourself would vote for him over Obama, and you are going to have a landslide of Democrats jumping the fence to vote for Ron Paul over Obama as well. If the GOP had half a brain right now they'd be propping up Ron Paul as much as possible because he's a sure shot. Newt is far too disconnected from the center and left voters to ever get any from that camp. Romney, would get a few, but there are still way too many that would vote for Obama over those two anyday.

If he GOP keeps ignoring Ron Paul and keeps propping up these horrible alternatives, then they're going to piss this election down there leg and we'll see 4 more of Obama.

The GOP does not select which candidates to run. A candidate decides to run and then seeks voter support through fundraising, debates etc. In the end, the GOP does not decide who the eventual nominee is. That's determined by the voters.

Well thank you for that civics lesson:S.

The GOP does select their nominee, but they use votes to determine who they nominate.

The language I used in my post has more to do with GOP pushing for specific candidates during the primaries. Conservative media outlets are doing all they can to prop up any candidate besides Ron Paul. Why? Because Ron Paul is not going to be there puppet. All the other candidates play ball just fine, so anybody but Paul will do for the GOP. That's what I'm getting at. I'm full aware that in the end, the people's votes are what determines that. Unfortunately the general voting populace is very swayed by media attention. Its fascinating to me that Ron Paul is fighting for the lead in the polls, yet all we here in Fox News is "unelectable", "out of touch with reality", "bad speaker". I'd really like to know how he'd be doing with a little mainstream media support.

And as much as many folks would like to dismiss him he neck and neck for that front slot. So lets face it folks, he's very much electable or he wouldn't even be in the top 3 right now.

The GOP does select their nominee, but they use votes to determine who they nominate.

The language I used in my post has more to do with GOP pushing for specific candidates during the primaries. Conservative media outlets are doing all they can to prop up any candidate besides Ron Paul. Why? Because Ron Paul is not going to be there puppet. All the other candidates play ball just fine, so anybody but Paul will do for the GOP. That's what I'm getting at. I'm full aware that in the end, the people's votes are what determines that.

And as much as many folks would like to dismiss him he neck and neck for that front slot. So lets face it folks, he's very much electable or he wouldn't even be in the top 3 right now.

Media outlets are not the GOP. I can't find any specific support for one candidate over the other by the GOP at this point. That's all I'm saying.

The language I used in my post has more to do with GOP pushing for specific candidates during the primaries. Conservative media outlets are doing all they can to prop up any candidate besides Ron Paul. Why? Because Ron Paul is not going to be there puppet. All the other candidates play ball just fine, so anybody but Paul will do for the GOP. That's what I'm getting at. I'm full aware that in the end, the people's votes are what determines that.

Media outlets are not the GOP. I can't find any specific support for one candidate over the other by the GOP at this point. That's all I'm saying.

Fair enough.:)

I disagree with your statement about who our troops support. I am active in Veterans groups and visit our fine troopers at military posts and bases often. I have observed no such massive support for RP. RP supporters keep posting this mantra, but it is unsupportable.

I commend you for your service and respect your opinion on Mr. Pauls foreign policy as much as anybody elses, but just want to mention there has been two sources already linked in this thread to his support from military.

We don't have a "military poll" (would be nice if we did). The only indicator we have right now is campaign donations. I placed a link on the first page that was just the 2nd quarter donations and Ron Paul had received more than all the other candidates combined including Obama.

The 3rd quarter totals are out now, and that number has exploded. You can see the chart on hwt's youtube link. Yes its a Ron Paul ad and they made the pretty chart, but the numbers are not disputable. They are out there for public record and you can find them with a simple google.

I attached a graph of the 3rd quarter totals if you would like to see it.

Your opinion and observations while just as valid, don't reflect the entire military. It would be like me sayins that all the non-military people I hang out with think Ron Paul is a nut, therefore every one else in the country thats not serving think he's a nut too.

Lets face it people are sick of these wars. They probably cost McCain the election last year, because Obama "claimed" he had a plan to get us out of them.

You must not have been paying attention. Obama promised to get us out of Iraq. He also promised to expand our effort in Afghanistan, not end it. And that was one of the reasons I voted for him.

- Dan G

Its fascinating to me that Ron Paul is fighting for the lead in the polls, yet all we here in Fox News is "unelectable", "out of touch with reality", "bad speaker". I'd really like to know how he'd be doing with a little mainstream media support.

Probably a good deal better. Fox tries to sabotage him, and everyone else tries to ignore him.

Its fascinating to me that Ron Paul is fighting for the lead in the polls, yet all we here in Fox News is "unelectable", "out of touch with reality", "bad speaker". I'd really like to know how he'd be doing with a little mainstream media support.

Probably a good deal better. Fox tries to sabotage him, and everyone else tries to ignore him.

Bullshit. Fox News has given Ron Paul a platform to express his views moreso than any other network. He's been on Hannity, OReilly and Chris Wallace several times and he was always given a great opportunity to reach Republican voters.

Bullshit. Fox News has given Ron Paul a platform to express his views moreso than any other network. He's been on Hannity, OReilly and Chris Wallace several times and he was always given a great opportunity to reach Republican voters.

Might want to youtube those "interviews". They never gave him an opportunity to reach Republican voters. They brought him on there to try and rip into him and in turn made themselves look stupid when he did really well at defending himself, that is for the few seconds they gave him to actually talk. You really need to see O'Reilly's interview of him. Its ridiculous. O'Reilly never let him finish a point.

When he's not on their shows they ignore the fact that he exists and only talk about Newt and Romney like they're the only contenders. Check out Jon Stewarts video on this. Its pretty funny.

I watched Cavuto ask Chris Wallace what if Ron Paul wins the Iowa caucus after Wallace kept talking like Newt and Romney were the only candidates. Chris Wallace with a straight face, said it would completely discredit Iowa caucus. What a douche.

"Your opinion and observations while just as valid, don't reflect the entire military. It would be like me sayins that all the non-military people I hang out with think Ron Paul is a nut, therefore every one else in the country thats not serving think he's a nut too."

Then we are in agreement. For any candidate to broadly submit that he is the "military's" or any particular factions candidate at this point is pure political posturing. RP is not a leader. His wisdom is suspect. I again refer again to RP's incorrect outburst with Bachman.
As far as the numbers...... I have a friend, a PhD, who teaches at a major University. He sez that "Figures don't lie, but liars know how to figure."
We are in a national campaign that has global implications. The US is still reaping the consequences of the Carter administration's malfeasance. Please see the worthless Dept. of Energy. RP has yet to show statesmanship. RP does show an elitist detachment from everyday America. RP actually believes , ala Neville Chamberlain, that he can negotiate with the Iranians.
Where are the Winston Churchill's of America?

Obama is 2nd to none with his public speaking when his teleprompter is working. But have you ever seen what a bumbling fool Obama sounds like when his teleprompter fails? Here is an example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omHUsRTYFAU

Omigod, he sounds like Dubya with a teleprompter.:D
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Obama is 2nd to none with his public speaking when his teleprompter is working. But have you ever seen what a bumbling fool Obama sounds like when his teleprompter fails? Here is an example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omHUsRTYFAU

Omigod, he sounds like Dubya with a teleprompter.:D

I can see why there is so much anticipation in the Gingrich camp for a Gingrich/Obama "one on one" debate. Newt will hand Obama is own ass.

That chart is grasping at straws. Seriously. It does not prove anything about the amount of Paul support. Especially with the low numbers involved. $113,000? How many people contributed is more telling. Gingritch could have had more donations with less totals overall. When dealing with personnel numbering into the million mark, $113,000 tells me a very pitiful amount for any candidate. The overall amounts tells me that generally, Service Members (truth) generally don't donate. And the total amount of money vs. total amount of donaters is too small to get a legitimate statistical sample.

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never know if they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

I'm returning your shovel here. The Fox hostility was abundantly clear after the Iowa straw poll where Paul narrowly loses to Bachmann, yet the frontrunners are declared to be Bachmann, Parry, Romney, and perhaps Huntsman or that really neat Chris Christie.

But diverborg- you're well off the remark thinking that he's going to get a huge number of crossover votes. I put up a link much earlier in this thread, courtesy of NerdGirl, that lists the numerous inconsistencies in RP rhetoric that make it clear he's in no position to get the job done. And really, the bulk of the reason for his support is that he is consistent. When this is shown to be false, so goes much of that vote.

I'm old enough to remember that Ford was well-liked as a person (especially after Nixon), but he was kind of a bumbling public speaker; and that probably helped cost him the 1976 election.

Do you rate that as big a reason as Watergate, the pardon, or the fact that he was never elected even as VP?

An example of desperated left leaning media doing it's damnedest is the Des Monies Register supporting Romeny

Since they are a heave Obama supporter, why would they do that?

(not aimed at you GM)
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

McCain lost because he was RINO for the most part

Yeah, this is it. He wasn't grumpy enough to hold the standard! Even though his entire campaign was "Continue Bush Policies." Funny enough, Obama seemed to steal that from him after taking office.

McCain only wanted to be the maverick media darling

He figured they would stay with him after the nomination

He figured wrong

In any event

The left got the republican canidate they wanted
Abraham Lincoln

The left got him (McCain) 73% of the GOP delegates? That's a neat trick - how do they repeat it this time?

Just look at who endorsed Romney here in Iowa
Thats how they do it

That and the left media slanting the stories and omission

When the vote is close it makes a difference
Abraham Lincoln

And the media is trying to do the same thing again.

Yes
If they dont get THE canidate they want they go for the next best thing for them
Abraham Lincoln