cocheese

Legal pot smokers

Thank you for your efforts to change things. If you have a green card or have voted to change the laws in favor of cannabis, Thank you so much.

Just be intellectualy honest. Don't support "Medical" Pot simply because you like to get stoned. Support it openly, stating it is because you like getting stoned. Stop co-opting other's illness to advance your favorite vice.

I opposed the AZ MediPot initiative simply because the majority of those who supported it wouldn't be honest about their motivations...

>Don't support "Medical" Pot simply because you like to get stoned.

I support medical marijuana both because it's a useful medicine for some diseases and I think it should be a legal drug. And I've never smoked anything in my life.

Fair enough. I just refuse to support the intellectualy dishonest. If they came out and said legalize it, tax the bejezus out of it like Tobacco or Alcohol, and enforce DUI laws as stringently as they apply to Alcohol, I'd vote for it.

Bullshit me and I will vote against it, and if you are caught with it--don't drop the soap.

Well, I like to get high AND I support legalization for medical reasons. I would love to see it legal for recreational use as well, but I think that's a long long shot.
To be perfectly honest, I know more people who smoke pot than I know people who drink. I know more people who smoke pot than I know who don't. You would think the Government would want to tap into that revenue stream - or maybe it is more profitable to keep it illegal?

As for me and my house, we will serve the LORD...

I think the medical usefulness of marijuana is mostly an urban myth. I also believe that any medically beneficial substances in marijuana would be a lot more beneficial in easy to dose pills, preferably pills with as little adverse effects as possible. I regard feeling stoned as a major adverse effect of medicine (I occasionally smoke(d) weed, I don't think of recreational stonedness as being evil, but medicinal stonedness isn't a good thing)

I think most, if not all drugs should be legal but regulated. I think it's completely moronic that in most western countries alcohol is legal and marijuana isn't. While Cannabis has dangers associated with it, it doesn't even come close to the hazards associated with alcohol. Alcohol is right up there with heroine and cocaine, it's safer to take XTC or magic mushrooms than to drink beer. Plus, laws that forbid Marijuana/other drugs use only get criminals richer, they don't really prevent marijuana/drug use.

"I also believe that any medically beneficial substances in marijuana would be a lot more beneficial in easy to dose pills, preferably pills with as little adverse effects as possible."

One of the biggest reasons Marinol was mostly a bust was that it didnt stimulate the appetite like smoking just plain old weed does. Thats a HUGE benefit for chemotherapy patients that are nauseated all the time - and so far our best scientists have not been able to synthesize a substance that has the same appetite stimulation that smoking a joint can give (not that our Government allows that much marijuana research to begin with...)

One of the biggest reasons Marinol was mostly a bust was that it didnt stimulate the appetite like smoking just plain old weed does. Thats a HUGE benefit for chemotherapy patients that are nauseated all the time - and so far our best scientists have not been able to synthesize a substance that has the same appetite stimulation that smoking a joint can give (not that our Government allows that much marijuana research to begin with...)

Yeah, well, that's not the fault of the concept of pills, but the fault of people not trying hard enough to get a better alternative than inhaling the smoke of a tropical plant that's full of harmful stuff. Smoking herbs is a really primitive way to administer medicine. Pills aren't there for nothing, they're usually (probably always) superior to any use of herbs in medicine.

Marinol, if I remember it well enough is really just THC, and it's one of the dozens of psychoactive substances found in Cannabis. A combination of cannabinols would probably do a better job. I know space cake also stimulates the appetite, so smoking isn't an essential part of getting the desired effect.

But I think it should be legal anyway whether you've got cancer or not. Luckily it's legal enough here...

Thank you for your efforts to change things. If you have a green card or have voted to change the laws in favor of cannabis, Thank you so much.

Just be intellectualy honest. Don't support "Medical" Pot simply because you like to get stoned. Support it openly, stating it is because you like getting stoned. Stop co-opting other's illness to advance your favorite vice.

I opposed the AZ MediPot initiative simply because the majority of those who supported it wouldn't be honest about their motivations...

sure it was intellectually dishonest. That said, a partial transformation to open legal sale and use via this medical ploy (I got insomnia, really!) works better than an none to all transition. If it really was a bad idea, we'd have known about it by now.

Mmmmmmmmm.....space cake!
Oddly enough though, the legal weed was one of my least favorite things about the Netherlands - not that I didnt like it, it was just the least of all the things to do and see there (for me at any rate). I will admit, it did enhance the Van Gogh Museum!

I support medical marijuana both because it's a useful medicine for some diseases and I think it should be a legal drug. And I've never smoked anything in my life.

Yeah, well your ignorance is rather unfortunate...but fuck it...if people wanna paralyze their neurons, fine...I just hope your son understands the ramifications of such stupidity...
Your secrets are the true reflection of who you really are...

One of the biggest reasons Marinol was mostly a bust was that it didnt stimulate the appetite like smoking just plain old weed does. Thats a HUGE benefit for... snack food manufacturing corporations.

FIFY
:D:D

Hey! Don't laugh. This IS speaker's corner, you know.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Yeah, well your ignorance is rather unfortunate...but fuck it...if people wanna paralyze their neurons, fine...I just hope your son understands the ramifications of such stupidity...

I could say the same for your ignorance. I sure hope noone you care about ever has to have chemo, since it is obvious from your post that you would deny them one of the most effective drugs for assisting with their nausea.
As for recreational use, it is very well established that pot is MUCH less harmful than alcohol.
Jack Herer's book The Emperor Wears No Clothes is a fascinating (if very biased) book detailing the history (social and political) of marijuana prohibition in the USA. Hint - the legal status of marijuana has much less to do with perceived social ills and much more to do with Dupont and the pharaceutical industry. In fact, when Anslinger brought the proposal for marijuana prohibition before congress in 1937, the main person to voice opposition was Dr. William C. Woodward, Legislative Council of the American Medical Association.
Yes, for all you folks who believe pot has no medicinal value - the AMA was the largest opponent of marijuana prohibition.

I could say the same for your ignorance. I sure hope noone you care about ever has to have chemo, since it is obvious from your post that you would deny them one of the most effective drugs for assisting with their nausea.

No it's not.

As for recreational use, it is very well established that pot is MUCH less harmful than alcohol.

So what? Is that your excuse for self induced mental retardation?
Your secrets are the true reflection of who you really are...

What are you suggesting that Bill is ignorant about?

One of the biggest reasons Marinol was mostly a bust was that it didnt stimulate the appetite like smoking just plain old weed does. Thats a HUGE benefit for... snack food manufacturing corporations.

FIFY
:D:D

Hey! Don't laugh. This IS speaker's corner, you know.

LOL. If recreational pot is ever made legal I am buying stock in Nabisco, Ben and Jerrys and Frito Lay.....

I am going to jump in on this since it is something I have knowledge and experience with. First a little back ground; 1982 I was diagnosed with a stage IIe Hystiocytic Lymphoma. In the early 80's this was a death sentence. I was young tho and was offered an opportunity to be a chemotherapy experiment. Needles to say this treatment protocol was VERY aggressive. At that time the only anti-ematic available to me was Compozine. Honestly I couldn't stand the stuff and just elected to tough it out. A couple of months in I was asked if I wanted to participate in the Lynn Pearson Theraputic Program. This was a program in place thanks to Lynn Pearson who lobbied the State of NM to legalize THC but unfortunately passed from his disease. The program was administered by the University of New Mexico Cancer Research and Treatment Center. To my knowledge it was one of the first legal medical marijuana programs. To say it was a lifesaver is an understatement. I had dropped from 150 lbs to around 116 on a good day. I was essentially starving to death. I had never smoked weed before and to me it was a new experience, but I viewed it as any of my other prescribed drugs, like Demerol, Morphine or Tylox. The last two months of my 8 months of chemo hell I actually gained some weight because I had less nausea and actually had an appetite due to the THC. (I know UNM was working on an athsmatic type Inhaler to administer the drug but I don't know where that ended up.)

After the chemo and the subsequent radiation treatments were over I didn't use THC again............Until 5 years ago. At that time I was diagnosed with colon cancer. Now I discovered there are many, many more anti nausea medications that work, much better than the THC did, which are currently on the market. Having said that I believe that THC should be one of the choices. I just wish there was a better delivery system than smoking. Anyway, I had more surgeries and chemo. I am in remission again but all the damage from surgeries, chemo and radiation treatment has left me in constant pain. (Don't want to get into where because it is a bit embarrassing) I am currently prescribed and monitored for Vicodin. Problem is that Vicodin causes me sleep problems. I tried every sleep aid imaginable but found with the Vicodin it just made me a zombie for most of the next day. Luckily I reside in CO. I visited with my doctors and they were unanimously in favor of me trying THC to help put my pain aside long enough to fall asleep. For me THC does not relieve the pain but allows me to ignore it. Hard to describe but suffice it to say it works for me. I currently have a card and I do use THC right before I go to bed. It has been a godsend.

I want you to know I am not a stoned out bum. My wife and I have raised two very fine and productive children. I have owned and still own businesses. I have good standing in the communities where I live. If I hadn't told you I use THC you would never know.

I do feel that the program is being abused and I fear it will be outlawed again, because it is being used as a step for full legalization. That frustrates me because I feel we are being used as a pawn by both sides....yes I feel the full legalization crowd is using us to further their agenda and frankly that pisses me off as much as the people who speak with authority that it has no medicinal benefits. I personally believe in full legalization but feel it is a separate issue than the medical legalization.

BTW, for the record medical THC is legal in the state of CO but is still illegal as far as the Federal Govt is concerned. It is doubtful the Feds will start busting patients but they do go after growers and distribution facilities.

Just thot I would chime in. In my opinion there is quite a bit of misinformation out there.

Thanks,

I would also like to add to the discourse.

My mother is an oconogist and during my teen years I worked in her office helping patients going through chemo. I cannot recall how many times I saw this sick person rushing outside to throw up in the bushes, the bushes right outside the building would die so quickly because of all the vomit and chemicals in it.

Being in Texas there was no medical marijuana, but patients would still find a way. The ones I saw that came in for chemo after smoking had such a dramatic change for the better. Not only in their ability to control nausea and work on their appetite, but also in their general demeanor. I have noticed with things like cancer, how your outlook is plays a huge role in their recovery, and the people that had smoked were generally more jovial and in better spirits. All these patients were either senior citizens or close to that age.

Fast forward a few years, one of my best friends comes down with testicular cancer, mid twenties healthy guy. He decides from day one that he will incorporate marijuana in his treatment, his doctors were stunned about how much weight he was able to keep on during the rounds of chemo, he needed so much chemo and surgery because it was pretty late stage stuff. He credit the weed with giving him the ability to fight for longer periods of time. I remember visiting him at MD Anderson and we would walk down to the park with his chemo machine in tow and he would just sit down and light up, when a cop came by he would simply ask the cop if he really wanted to be the guy arresting the cancer patient actively being pumped with chemo.

He had his last surgery this summer, he is in remission and as soon as he is well enough to do it, we are planning on going on a skydive together. So to say that marijuana doesn't have medical benefits is simply wrong.

But at the same time, it should also be legal for recreational use. It would save the government (both state, federal and local) untold amount of money from prosecuting and jailing offenders and would create a new legal industry in the production and commercialization of the drug.