skydude2000

Texas Whipping?

Yes, there seems to be this ever increasing idea that you're to be a pushover type of friend toward your child, not a parent. Discipline is supposed to be fun and easy...just like school work and your job.

So if you don't beat your kids you're a "pushover"? There are lots of ways to enforce discipline that don't involve physical violence. What does whipping the shit out of a kid teach them? Number one, they'll never trust you when they need help. Number two, violence is an acceptable way to resolve disputes.

It even gets to the point where the parents will allow underage drinking in the house and even smoke marijuana with their 16 year old kids...after all, "they're just gonna do it anyway, and I rather them get it from me and learn to be junkies under my roof rather than out in the streets somewhere"

There have always been bad parents, in every generation. Teaching kids to use violence to get their way is not a helpful contribution to the problem.

Don

I hope you realize that you are totally missing the point of Coreece's post.

I assume you are just ragging him because he is a professing Christian.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

I assume you are just ragging him because he is a professing Christian.

Actually, not at all. My disagreement is with the idea that inflicting pain is the only, or even a preferred method of disciplining children. The religious background of the parent is immaterial to whether or not certain behaviors are appropriate. However, I would say that certain beliefs make it easier for people to act out their "inner sadist", if they can convince themselves that they are not personally responsible for their behavior but are just following the commands of a "higher power".

I hope you realize that you are totally missing the point of Coreece's post.

If his point is just that a parent shouldn't be a "pushover" always trying to appease the kid, then I completely agree. In the context of this thread, I took it that he was defending the actions of the father. Looking over his posts in this thread, I see that I was likely mistaken as he has said he does not condone the father's behavior.

Don

I sincerely hope for the sake of humanity that neither of you have children.
Beating children is NOT christian nor is it proper or acceptable in any way.
What I see of christianity is right in line with fear and intimidation though...so it makes sense.

Be careful, the greenie police might take you away and throw you in an exaggeration camp...

For once could you just please read what I actually wrote in this thread and at least try to comprehend instead of mixing all your steroetypical hodgepodge with your disfuctional childhood and projecting that onto me?
Your secrets are the true reflection of who you really are...

There have always been bad parents, in every generation.

Finally...

That's right, abusive parenting has never been limited to a specific religion, race, ethnicity, or demographic other then in the mind of a bigot.

...So, how about cutting out all the BS, eh?

My disagreement is with the idea that inflicting pain is the only, or even a preferred method of disciplining children.

No I don't believe that, and as you've read through my posts you'd see that I've never had to resort to physical discipline...nor do I anticipate a situation where I would personlly need to.

If his point is just that a parent shouldn't be a "pushover" always trying to appease the kid, then I completely agree. In the context of this thread, I took it that he was defending the actions of the father. Looking over his posts in this thread, I see that I was likely mistaken as he has said he does not condone the father's behavior.

Thanks Don...

I do actually read some of your posts. There was no stereotypical hodgepodging involved.

No matter how you phrase it or package it, physically assaulting a minor is NOT discipline.
It IS a violent assault of a minor child. Legally that is child abuse and/or assault and battery.
*ETA* To me, if you need to use violence to raise children, you're not mature enough to do that properly.

I chose not to use violence to get points across.
It has worked swimmingly for me so far.

No matter how you phrase it or package it, physically assaulting a minor is NOT discipline.
It IS a violent assault of a minor child. Legally that is child abuse and/or assault and battery.

I agree...

This of course is different from corporeal punishment where the differences are recognized by the State and are in fact legal.

I disagree.

STRIKING another person, let alone a minor child, is quite simply wrong. I'd even go so far as to say striking a minor in damn near any circumstance is quite simply wrong.
Unless in self defense or defense of another human, it's wrong.

I disagree.

Well of course you do...You have experienced a very unfortunate abusive childhood. I don't blame you...I'd imagine that you'd take a rather unreasonable stance based on emotion rather than reality...

Just try to find comfort in the fact that the United States and God disagrees with you...if not, move to Sweden.

I'd even go so far as to say striking a minor in damn near any circumstance is quite simply wrong.

So what circumstance would you find it fit to strike a minor? Disciplinary measures, I hope?

Yes, discipline is the defense of your child against the stupidity of life that many of us may find natural...

Here's the general rule of thumb:

Physical discipline knocks the sense into you.
Physical abuse knocks the sense out of you.

I disagree.

STRIKING another person, let alone a minor child, is quite simply wrong. I'd even go so far as to say striking a minor in damn near any circumstance is quite simply wrong.

http://www.landoverbaptist.org/news0303/spanking.html
"Science, logic and reason will fly you to the moon. Religion will fly you into buildings."
"Because figuring things out is always better than making shit up."

/www.landoverbaptist.org/news0303/spanking.html[/url]

This must be a parody?

Yes, it is. It's an exaggerration of what some christians believe about beating children.
"Science, logic and reason will fly you to the moon. Religion will fly you into buildings."
"Because figuring things out is always better than making shit up."

I disagree.

Updates:S:S:S

Judge Adams created nonexistent law stating that children are 'fantasizers' and the statements of children amount to 'no evidence'