JohnRich

Iranian Pastor Sentenced to Death

News:
Iranian Pastor Sentenced to Death

"Iranian Pastor Youcef Nadarkhani, who is facing the death penalty, again refused to convert to Islam to save his life. Nadarkhani was arrested in 2009 for the crime of apostasy because he allegedly abandoned Islam for Christianity. As a pastor, Iranian clerics believe that Nadarkhani was preaching in order to convert Muslims..."
Full story: International Business Times

1) Cultural relativism: It's their law under which he was operating, therefore he deserves to to punished according to their law, and he should be executed; or,

2) Their law is wrong; no one deserves to be executed for speaking their religious views.

That's ok John. If we believe everything we hear out of Tehran, then in twenty years we may look back and thank them because they saved the USofA. How'd I come up with that?

Iran to Send Ships to U.S. Waters: A New Cold War?
witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

That's ok John. If we believe everything we hear out of Tehran, then in twenty years we may look back and thank them because they saved the USofA. How'd I come up with that?

Iran to Send Ships to U.S. Waters: A New Cold War?

I'madinnerjacket must've listened to Obama's "Marching Shoes" speech.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Apparently many people put no limits at all on this cultural relativism idea - anything goes! And the same folks have no balls for simply standing up against what's just plain wrong. I guess they would have supported all the other evil injustices of the world too, since that's what was culturally correct in those places and times: Pol Pot, Idi Amin, Stalin, Tojo. Hey, it was their law, they had the right to murder anyone they wanted! There's probably also at play here, an exhibition of the depth of hatred some people have for Christianity. I wonder if America was to pass a law saying that we could execute muslim clerics for preaching the Koran, if these cultural relativism folks would also approve of that?

....folks have no balls for simply standing up against the death penalty that's just plain wrong. I guess they would have supported all the other evil injustices of Texas too, since that's what was culturally correct in Texas.

Reads a little differently now, doesn't it?
:D:D:D

"It's OK if Texas does it, It's NOT if Iran does it."

Entertainment at its best.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

>just getting picky now bill, Hitler was not as bad as the others.

Yeah, but Pol Pot just doesn't cause that visceral piss-you-off reaction that John was going for.

Pol Pot....what mother would name her son that, I ask you? Kinda makes you wanna laugh.

Yeah, but Pol Pot just doesn't cause that visceral piss-you-off reaction that John was going for.

Pol Pot....what mother would name her son that, I ask you? Kinda makes you wanna laugh.

He named himself. I think he had his name legally changed ...kinda like Lew Alcindor or the Pope.

Are you sure? we're a relatively well informed group here. Invoking hitler is a tired cliche, but Pol Pot...that's fresh stuff!

....folks have no balls for simply standing up against the death penalty that's just plain wrong. I guess they would have supported all the other evil injustices of Texas too, since that's what was culturally correct in Texas.

Reads a little differently now, doesn't it?
"It's OK if Texas does it, It's NOT if Iran does it."

So, you think it's equivalent to compare:
1) A criminal who is executed for murdering others, and;
2) A priest who is executed for talking about religion.

What this means is that you think preaching religion is the equivalent of murder,
and that a priest is the equivalent of a criminal.

Nice.

I'm sure if you try just a little bit, you can see how these two things don't deserve to be analogous. And therefore, your comparison to criticize Texas' death penalty fails. Rest assured, that if Texas was executing preachers for simply talking about religion, I'd be dead set against it, just as I'm dead set against Iran doing it.

>So, you think it's equivalent to compare:
>1) A criminal who is executed for murdering others, and;
>2) A priest who is executed for talking about religion. . . .

JohnRich, 2006:

"So you're saying I shouldn't worry about all the high-profile politicians and all the organizations that would like to ban private gun ownership? I think your Hitler used the same kind of psychology on the Jews . . ."

Pot, meet kettle.

Dead is dead, John. Death penalty...Death, get it?
You seem to be saying it's OK to kill someone IF....
What makes your IF more palatable than another's IF?

You do realize that other countries think that you are as batty as you think they are, don't you?

What this means is...

...that you have, once again, read stupid shit into a statement that wasn't there in the first place. Typical SC maneuver. Reading comprehension seems to be a major problem. You seem to have a knack for leading the pack.

BTW, when you become King of the World, please feel free to force your beliefs down the throats of every nation, OK?

Isn't it ironic, how:

1) Liberals are opposed to the death penalty for any reason, no matter how heinous the crime, or how sure the guilt, and yet at the same time;
2) Those same liberals are all in favor of an Iranian priest being executed for simply exercising free speech.

And furthermore...

1) The support for the priest execution seems to be "cultural relativism": if that's their law, then we shouldn't interfere, and let them do what they think is right.
2) However, that same argument doesn't seem to apply for U.S. states with the death penalty - rather than let them do what they want because that's their way, instead they cry that they are barbarians, and they shouldn't be allowed to do it, and they wail over ever execution.

Go figure.

John if this was the only post I had ever read from you and didn’t know or use your history try to find what might be your motivation I would agree with you.

We should be able to decide and use common sense with such issues. In Iran they kill drug dealers! much harsher then what happens here but that’s there laws. But when it comes to someone getting punished for exercising there god given rights (which is an American understanding; which I love and believe to be the most logical way) we should say or at least recognize the difference. Be able to say yes that’s WRONG

Its fucked up because Iran has a fucked up government.

but I knowing your past history of posting feel like you are always making it a competition (your not the only one) that one side is right the other wrong. What do you say about the many cases where the man executed was found inocent by DNA later. There are so many cases actually a whole book written on about False executions that happened in TX and its almost always some poor black guy. The more cases you read its obvious that they wanted a escape goat and they used a black guy because they are racists ( I think it was 30 cases). I’ll find the name of the book when I get home and put it on here later. ( I know you need documentation before you will take MY word).

My point again is not to say Texas suck its to say there are a lot of fucked up people in this world, and any time you feel a kinship to them because of your religion, geography, race, financial statues, familly etc. that’s compromising your judgment you are helping the problem.

I see it everywhere all the time Liberals, Right wingers even people who consider themselves independent. I don’t get it never have and don’t think ever will.

If we could all evolve past the mind fucking we received growing up in whatever culture we grew up in and actually take a fresh look at what makes sense and what doesn’t I swear we are already living in heaven. Unfortunately most people are not ready or they are simply incapable of it.

Sorry for the length I don’t post much any more so I like to make them count.
I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." - Kurt Cobain

Liberals are opposed to the death penalty for any reason, no matter how heinous the crime, or how sure the guilt, and yet at the same time;

Are you sure about that? I'm not sure ALL of any group is opposed to the death penealty.

Those same liberals are all in favor of an Iranian priest being executed for simply exercising free speech.

You seem to missing the point. It's not about being in favor of anything. Anybody being executed sucks...no matter where they are from, what their crime, or anything else.

Same as you....by your own words, you favor the death penalty in Texas but abhor it when it happens in another country. You appear to be complaining about Iran executing someone and at the same time defending Texas doing it. It's conflicting and confusing as to what you really are trying to say.

The support for the priest execution seems to be "cultural relativism": if that's their law, then we shouldn't interfere, and let them do what they think is right.

Again, you're missing the point. I don't think there's anybody here, and certainly not me, that SUPPORTS the priest's execution. I am against the death penalty anytime, anywhere. Really simple. Recognizing cultural differences has nothing to do with whether or not one supports their actions. Your continued attempt to tie the two together is disturbing and doesn't speak well for you.

However, that same argument doesn't seem to apply for U.S. states with the death penalty - rather than let them do what they want because that's their way, instead they cry that they are barbarians, and they shouldn't be allowed to do it, and they wail over ever execution.

I don't need to turn that around again to demonstrate the irony of it all.

Thanks for you PM, though.

Isn't it ironic, how:

1) Liberals are opposed to the death penalty for any reason, no matter how heinous the crime, or how sure the guilt, and yet at the same time;
2) Those same liberals are all in favor of an Iranian priest being executed for simply exercising free speech.

And furthermore...

1) The support for the priest execution seems to be "cultural relativism": if that's their law, then we shouldn't interfere, and let them do what they think is right.
2) However, that same argument doesn't seem to apply for U.S. states with the death penalty - rather than let them do what they want because that's their way, instead they cry that they are barbarians, and they shouldn't be allowed to do it, and they wail over ever execution.

Go figure.

You sure seem to know a whole lot about what Liberals think. It's as if you can see right into Liberals minds and know exactly what they ALL think about every topic.:S
Speed Racer
--------------------------------------------------

Isn't it ironic, how:

And furthermore...

Go figure.

You sure seem to know a whole lot about what Liberals think. It's as if you can see right into Liberals minds and know exactly what they ALL think about every topic.:S

Must've rubbed off from Bill and Quade thinking they know exactly what all conservatives think about every subject.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Yes, I suppose it goes in both directions. And this is the problem with the political scene today: people are falsely shoved into two pigeonholes, and all sorts of false assumptions are then made about what they believe. That's why political arguments never seem to get anywhere, we're all talking right past each other.

You never get a chance to defend your beliefs when you are too busy arguing with someone who has incorrect ideas about what you believe. You get attacked for holding beliefs that aren't even yours.
Speed Racer
--------------------------------------------------