Butters

Robertson is ...

Article

"I know it sounds cruel, but if he's going to do something, he should divorce her and start all over again, but make sure she has custodial care and somebody looking after her," Robertson said.
"If you respect that vow, you say 'til death do us part,'" Robertson said during the Tuesday broadcast. "This is a kind of death."

Such a caring Christian. Since this is a kind of death does that mean euthanasia is okay for alzheimer's patients?
"That looks dangerous." Leopold Stotch

So if a spouse needs to be full time in a care facility, and their mental state is such that they cannot even recognize who you are, should you stay married to them? What if that care would be picked up by Medicaid if you were divorced, but if you stay married it will suck down your meager assets in a year or two? Do you think that spouse would want you to suffer more than you have to?

Sorry, but while there is little I like about Pat Robertson, I can understand that someone married to an advanced Alzheimer's patient can find it to be overwhelming.

Not everyone has the same breaking point. And he did say that provision should be made for care for the person.

I don't think it's right, but sometimes it's the answer that will save everything else.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Article

"I know it sounds cruel, but if he's going to do something, he should divorce her and start all over again, but make sure she has custodial care and somebody looking after her," Robertson said.
"If you respect that vow, you say 'til death do us part,'" Robertson said during the Tuesday broadcast. "This is a kind of death."

Such a caring Christian. Since this is a kind of death does that mean euthanasia is okay for alzheimer's patients?

"In sickness and in health!"

I guess, Those are just words. I certainly don't look to Pat Robertson for advice.

Chuck

I guess, Those are just words. I certainly don't look to Pat Robertson for advice.

but it's not a sickness that the patient will recover from. I hadn't considered the medicare angle, either, though this sort of rationale detachment may not have a place in a good marriage.

So if a spouse needs to be full time in a care facility, and their mental state is such that they cannot even recognize who you are, should you stay married to them? What if that care would be picked up by Medicaid if you were divorced, but if you stay married it will suck down your meager assets in a year or two? Do you think that spouse would want you to suffer more than you have to?

If you truly love someone, money shouldn't be a question. My aunt Billie was diagnosed with Alzheimer some years back. My uncle, Jim Harvey, has stayed by her side from day one. He is a hell of a great guy. When possible, he takes her out to do the things they always did. She may not recall the past, but each time he takes her up in Snappy http://www.fairchildclub.org/jh.htm , it is like the first time. It brings them both a lot of happiness like it did the very first time. My aunt has always been a devout Christian. Jim has always been an Atheist. They have always loved each other, and I know that Jim will never leave her. He'd sell his beloved Monocoupe (a plane he has owned for over 60 years) if that is what it took to treat Billie.:)Pat Robertson shows what an ass he is, every time wind escapes his lungs.>:(
"...And once you're gone, you can't come back
When you're out of the blue and into the black."
Neil Young

idol curiosity

So who's the idol you're curious about?:P

He's a human being. All of them are complex people, and all of them have good and bad in them.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Article

***"I know it sounds cruel, but if he's going to do something, he should divorce her and start all over again, but make sure she has custodial care and somebody looking after her," Robertson said.

I was tempted to ask; "What would Jesus do?" then I realized that 2000 years ago, an Alzheimers sufferer would probably be stoned to death for being filled with evil spirits.

The right always has the most peculiar "In defense of marry" philosophy.

"How is your Wife's battle with alzheimers going Pastor Jones ?" "I have no idea, the divorice was final 6 months ago." I hope Robertson never retires.

Does Billie know who Jim is these days?

The last year my mother in law (not at the time) had any assets of her own, her living expenses were $103k. That was in a group Alzheimer's facility. That amount didn't include personal expenses such as clothes and getting her hair done, but those don't add up to much. If necessary, I could spend that for a decade, but not for a score.

It's rough, and not everyone is up to either, financially or emotionally.

My father's last place (serious head injury at 90 left him similar to advanced Alzheimer's) was $4400/mo, none of it covered by insurance. We were lucky to have that, but not everyone does.

Wendy P.

Does Billie know who Jim is these days?

The last year my mother in law (not at the time) had any assets of her own, her living expenses were $103k. That was in a group Alzheimer's facility. That amount didn't include personal expenses such as clothes and getting her hair done, but those don't add up to much. If necessary, I could spend that for a decade, but not for a score.

Sadly, she has very little memory of the past. It seems to come once in a very great while. Oddly, she can remember numbers and will call my mother, her sister, but not know who she called. Really saddens me that she doesn't remember me. She is the one who named me, when I was born. Her favorite actor was Mark Stevens http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Stevens_%28actor%29 So that became my first and middle name. She never had any boys, only girls, so she treated me like a son. I was her favorite nephew. She is still my favorite aunt. I loved to hear her stories about flying around the country in Snappy and to see that big grin on her face. She is too cool.
Luckily, for her and Jim, they have saved a sizable amount and have great insurance, along with Jim's pension from McDonnell Douglas. Jim was an aircraft designer.
Billie is in her 80's these days and she is frail. She probably will not live much longer. It is good to know that Jim will be there for her until the end.
Sad that Robertson believes it is fine to abandon someone when they need you the most.
"...And once you're gone, you can't come back
When you're out of the blue and into the black."
Neil Young

If you truly love someone, money shouldn't be a question. My aunt Billie was diagnosed with Alzheimer some years back. My uncle, Jim Harvey, has stayed by her side from day one. He is a hell of a great guy. When possible, he takes her out to do the things they always did. She may not recall the past, but each time he takes her up in Snappy http://www.fairchildclub.org/jh.htm , it is like the first time. It brings them both a lot of happiness like it did the very first time. My aunt has always been a devout Christian. Jim has always been an Atheist. They have always loved each other, and I know that Jim will never leave her. He'd sell his beloved Monocoupe (a plane he has owned for over 60 years) if that is what it took to treat Billie.

Nice story...reminds me of "The Notebook." What a great film...:)
Your secrets are the true reflection of who you really are...

... then I realized that 2000 years ago, an Alzheimers sufferer would probably be stoned to death for being filled with evil spirits.

Maybe. Alzheimer's is mostly a disease of the old, so when life expectancies were less, it wasn't so common.

True. Another valid point is that it's apparent from ancient history and literature that senility among the elderly existed even 2000 years ago, and it was understood to be part of being old just as physical frailty was. Back then, most family units were extended, and it was simply understood that you took care of your elderly kinfolk at home until they expired.

but it's not a sickness that the patient will recover from. I hadn't considered the medicare angle, either, though this sort of rationale detachment may not have a place in a good marriage.

That's true. That was the best I could do, in regards to the wedding vows. Which don't seem to carry much weight these days. Anyhow, what Robertson said just seems to go against what he's preached in the past. The guy has really lost it and why anyone pays any attention to him is beyond me.

Chuck

How many of you who are bashing Robertson have actually had to take care of an Alzheimers Patient on a daily basis? I don't mean you know someone who has alzheimers, I mean you have had to change their diapers, deal with their moodiness, fed them, cleaned shit off the wall that they threw, cleaned up puke etc. every single day for years while at the same time your "loved one" has no idea who you are. I'm not defending Robertson, I'm just saying that until you have walkied in another persons shoes, don't be so quick to judge.