dreamdancer

Warren Buffett calls for higher taxes for US super rich

Step up audits and penalties. I'd rather see that than raising tax rates on the ones that play be the rules.

Audits were down during the GWB administration, and going back up now. Suggest anything?

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Step up audits and penalties. I'd rather see that than raising tax rates on the ones that play be the rules.

Audits were down during the GWB administration, and going back up now. Suggest anything?

You mean like Joe the plumber getting audited after handing Obama his ass? Meet the new Dem, same as the old Dem.

Funny how you expect small business owners and S-corps to keep up with every jot and tittle, when your own article states that "employees working in IRS enforcement can't hope to close the tax gap on their own, especially given the frequently changing tax laws."
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

You mean like Joe the plumber getting audited after handing Obama his ass? Meet the new Dem, same as the old Dem.

Funny how you expect small business owners and S-corps to keep up with every jot and tittle, when your own article states that "employees working in IRS enforcement can't hope to close the tax gap on their own, especially given the frequently changing tax laws."

Turbo Tax works just fine for small businesses. and the self employed. Lame excuse for CHEATING.

Turbo Tax works just fine for small businesses. and the self employed. Lame excuse for CHEATING.

What then is Tim Geitners excuse?

Apparently Mitt Romney pays tax at "close to the 15% rate".

Lots of middle class taxpayers pay at a higher rate than that. But then, Romney is only worth around $200 Million, it must be a real struggle.

Lots of middle class taxpayers pay at a higher rate than that. But then, Romney is only worth around $200 Million, it must be a real struggle.

middle class taxpayers have incomes - he does not. Goes back to fact that we tax income, not wealth.

middle class taxpayers have incomes - he does not. Goes back to fact that we tax income, not wealth.

And you see nothing wrong with that?

Based on this: http://www.brillig.com/debt_clock/

He is paying several shares of the taxes needed for paying down the debt, a few people should be thanking him!

Matt

Really? Middle class taxpayers are subsidizing the rich, according to Sen Coburn (R).

www.coburn.senate.gov/public//index.cfm?a=Files.Serve&File_id=544ae3e7-195b-40ad-aa84-334fdd6a5e1f

I know you think something is wrong with it.

I see a lot that is right with the preferential taxation of qualified dividend income. It encourages investment/savings in legitimate companies, rather than dot com speculation or home flipping. With interest rates under 1% and any payments being taxed at a rate of over 35%, there's no incentive for me to save any more in a cash account.

If the dividend rate returns to regular income, then the very rich like Romney or Buffer will steer their investments back to growth stocks and pay 0% each year. The middle class will suffer more than they will.

I know you think something is wrong with it.

I see a lot that is right with the preferential taxation of qualified dividend income. It encourages investment/savings in legitimate companies, rather than dot com speculation or home flipping. With interest rates under 1% and any payments being taxed at a rate of over 35%, there's no incentive for me to save any more in a cash account.

If the dividend rate returns to regular income, then the very rich like Romney or Buffer will steer their investments back to growth stocks and pay 0% each year. The middle class will suffer more than they will.

In 1969, the U.S. tax code required "only" 16,500 pages. By 2007, the code grew to 67,506 pages. The current form 1040 instruction booklet is 155 pages long. Obviously none of this is necessary for the collection of taxes from middle class wage earners. The code has been shaped by the corruption of our government by the super rich for the benefit of the super rich.

In 1969, the U.S. tax code required "only" 16,500 pages. By 2007, the code grew to 67,506 pages. The current form 1040 instruction booklet is 155 pages long. Obviously none of this is necessary for the collection of taxes from middle class wage earners. The code has been shaped by the corruption of our government by the super rich for the benefit of the super rich.

Almost sounds like a decent argument for a flat rate, with; no deductions, no exceptions.

Matt
An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!

Almost sounds like a decent argument for a flat rate, with; no deductions, no exceptions.

Matt

and no special tax rates - income is income where ever it comes from.

let the market decide and government doesn't have to "encourage" or "discourage" anything

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

this strikes me as irrelevant to our thread, but ok.

How many of those pages cover tax credits for earned income, education expenses, health costs, home deduction changes, IRA accounts, or the yearly patch to the AMT? All of these are new, and all of these are relevant to the middle class, and in many cases only to the middle and low class.

Tax code growth has two aspects - that done to pander to or earn (depending on your bias) vote, and that done for money interests. The latter would include the offshore income storage done by Fortune 100 companies.

Look I for one an fine if an investor makes money off their investments so as long as said investments were made in the US for US based US operated companies.
The moment that investment leaves the country, I would like said investment to be taxed at 50%.

But who the hell am I kidding, a good 2% of the population won a good 90%+ of all the means of production....so we are basically a communist country we just don't know it.

So keep arguing like it matters.
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

The only thing that falls from the sky is birdshit and fools!

this strikes me as irrelevant to our thread, but ok.

How many of those pages cover tax credits for earned income, education expenses, health costs, home deduction changes, IRA accounts, or the yearly patch to the AMT? All of these are new, and all of these are relevant to the middle class, and in many cases only to the middle and low class.

Not as many as benefit the wealthy, who bought and paid for the legislatures.

so you don't actually know the numbers, do you?

Do you?

Maybe he takes advantage of the carried interest loophole.

The top hedge fund manager, John Paulson, makes more hourly than most Americans will earn in a lifetime, while paying a lower tax rate. This is an egregious loophole, but the GOP refuses to consider it as part of a deal to reduce the deficit they so hypocritically deplore.

so you don't actually know the numbers, do you?

Do you?

Maybe he takes advantage of the carried interest loophole.

The top hedge fund manager, John Paulson, makes more hourly than most Americans will earn in a lifetime, while paying a lower tax rate. This is an egregious loophole, but the GOP refuses to consider it as part of a deal to reduce the deficit they so hypocritically deplore.

Paulson is a Democratic supporter mostly, its all public info. Most rich people who live in West Chester, Greenwich and Bergen County are. Whats the motivation of the GOP to aid people who support the wrong party?
"The point is, I'm weird, but I never felt weird."
John Frusciante