mpohl

Copter Downed by Taliban Fire; Elite U.S. Unit Among Dead

I'd say that the Taliban elite fighters are better than the US elite fighters.

The Taliban fired the proverbial "Golden BB" and happened to strike an aircraft full of US SEALs. It was bound to eventually happen if the war went on long enough, but it's not exactly like it was testimony to elite fighting skill.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

The Taliban fired the proverbial "Golden BB" and happened to strike an aircraft full of US SEALs. It was bound to eventually happen if the war went on long enough, but it's not exactly like it was testimony to elite fighting skill.

+1 and spot on

Just like the US elite forces have a preponderance for striking children, weddings in progress, etc...

Very elite!

Just like the US elite forces have a preponderance for striking children, weddings in progress, etc...

Very elite!

"Georgette Gagnon, Director of Human Rights, UNAMA: Good morning. The human cost of
the Afghan conflict for Afghan civilians rose in the first six months of 2011. Afghan civilians
experienced a 15 per cent increase in conflict-related civilian deaths over the past first six
months compared to the same period in 2010. This dramatic growth was mainly due to the use
of landmine-like pressure plate improvised explosive devices or IEDs by Anti-Government
Elements. We at UNAMA documented 1,462 civilian deaths for this period, with 80 per cent
attributed to Anti-Government Elements, an increase of 28 per cent in civilian deaths from the
same period in 2010."

Looks like it's YOUR 'elite fighters' that are causing the great majority of the deaths.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

You seem to be extraordinarily confused about the SEALs and what they do versus how the vast majority of all war is conducted in general.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Very elite!

"Georgette Gagnon, Director of Human Rights, UNAMA: Good morning. The human cost of
the Afghan conflict for Afghan civilians rose in the first six months of 2011. Afghan civilians
experienced a 15 per cent increase in conflict-related civilian deaths over the past first six
months compared to the same period in 2010. This dramatic growth was mainly due to the use
of landmine-like pressure plate improvised explosive devices or IEDs by Anti-Government
Elements. We at UNAMA documented 1,462 civilian deaths for this period, with 80 per cent
attributed to Anti-Government Elements, an increase of 28 per cent in civilian deaths from the
same period in 2010."

Looks like it's YOUR 'elite fighters' that are causing the great majority of the deaths.

I'm for just going ahead and ending US presence there and going with the nintendo-type push-button style of warfare. Do future generations a favor and just light the place up. Make sure Pakistan and Iran have front row seats for the show. That place has been a thorn in the civilized world's ass for thousands of years.

Just an off-topic observation - When the "thousands" (cough-bullshit) of "civilians" were killed in Iraq during GWB's administration the UN (and presumably Georgette) laid the blame directly on Bush, Cheney and Rumsfeld. Now Georgette sees that the rise in civilian deaths in Afghanistan during O's administration is only because of collateral damage by the Taliban fighters. ....end of thought . Carry on.

Just an off-topic observation - When the "thousands" (cough-bullshit) of "civilians" were killed in Iraq during GWB's administration the UN (and presumably Georgette) laid the blame directly on Bush, Cheney and Rumsfeld. Now Georgette sees that the rise in civilian deaths in Afghanistan during O's administration is only because of collateral damage by the Taliban fighters. ....end of thought . Carry on.

Are you aware that Iraq and Afghanistan are not the same place?

- Dan G

Are you aware that Iraq and Afghanistan are not the same place?

Of course. That's why I used the actual words "Iraq" and "Afghanistan". Besides, what difference does it make? Are you suggesting that our troops were ordered by GWB to kill civilians by the thousands in Iraq but Obama ordered the same troops to leave the killing of civilians to the Taliban in Afghanistan? Or maybe we just sent the murderous troops to Iraq and the nice guys and girls to Afgh. ?? Maybe the "civilians" and fighters there (both places) are blurring the differences between combatants and non-combatants ..possibly bringing into question their status as "civilians".

But, the original point I was trying to make is that the OP shouldn't be crowing too much about the military prowess of the Taliban's elite, hide-behind-women-and-kids, lucky-shot fighters. We are playing with one hand tied behind our backs. It wouldn't be too hard to win if we had the will to win at the highest levels of command. Probably less people would be killed, too. ...maybe different people but less people in the long run.

Of course. That's why I used the actual words "Iraq" and "Afghanistan". Besides, what difference does it make? Are you suggesting that our troops were ordered by GWB to kill civilians by the thousands in Iraq but Obama ordered the same troops to leave the killing of civilians to the Taliban in Afghanistan? Or maybe we just sent the murderous troops to Iraq and the nice guys and girls to Afgh. ?? Maybe the "civilians" and fighters there (both places) are blurring the differences between combatants and non-combatants ..possibly bringing into question their status as "civilians".

But, the original point I was trying to make is that the OP shouldn't be crowing too much about the military prowess of the Taliban's elite, hide-behind-women-and-kids, lucky-shot fighters. We are playing with one hand tied behind our backs. It wouldn't be too hard to win if we had the will to win at the highest levels of command. Probably less people would be killed, too. ...maybe different people but less people in the long run.

Actually, it was obvious that your point was the UN blamed Bush, et al. for killing civilians in Iraq, and blames the Taliban for killing civilians in Afghanistan. Of course, the first part of your claim was pure fiction. The UN never directly blamed Bush, Cheney and Rumsfeld for killing civilians, but it made a nice partisan talking point for you. It has always been clear in both wars that the majority of civilian deaths has been due to local actors. Your attempt to make some anti-UN, anti-Obama partisan dig was complete nonsense.

- Dan G

Actually, it was obvious that your point was the UN blamed Bush, et al. for killing civilians in Iraq, and blames the Taliban for killing civilians in Afghanistan. Of course, the first part of your claim was pure fiction. The UN never directly blamed Bush, Cheney and Rumsfeld for killing civilians, but it made a nice partisan talking point for you. It has always been clear in both wars that the majority of civilian deaths has been due to local actors. Your attempt to make some anti-UN, anti-Obama partisan dig was complete nonsense.

I stand corrected. It wasn't the UN at all ...it was actually our own American lefties. "Bush lied, people died."

Well, since Bush did, in fact, lie, and people did, in fact, die, that slogan is at least technically accurate. It's stupid, too, but technically accurate.

I don't blame Bush et al. for civilian deaths in Iraq. I do, however, blame them for taking the focus and funding away from the fight in Afghanistan for no good reason. We'd be a lot farther along in Afghanistan if we hadn't wasted so much time, mony, and effort in Iraq.

- Dan G

"You Might Be In The Taliban If..." Quote | Reply
Here's a funny one from a bud of mine in the 'Stan...enjoy!!! LaughCrazyCool
-----------------------------------------------------------
You Might Be In The Taliban If...

...You refine heroin for a living, but you have a moral objection to beer.

...You own a $300 machine gun and $5,000 rocket launcher, but you can't afford shoes.

...You have more wives than teeth.

...You think vests come in two styles: bullet-proof and suicide.

...You can't think of anyone you HAVEN'T declared Jihad against.

...You consider television dangerous, but routinely carry ammunition in your robe.

...You've ever been asked, 'Does this burka make my ass look fat?'

...You've felt the urge to rub one out after seeing a woman's exposed ankle.

...You were amazed to discover that cell phones have uses other than for setting off roadside bombs.

...You've ever uttered the phrase, 'I love what you've done with your cave.'

...You wipe your ass with your bare left hand, but consider bacon unclean.

I don't blame Bush et al. for civilian deaths in Iraq. I do, however, blame them for taking the focus and funding away from the fight in Afghanistan for no good reason. We'd be a lot farther along in Afghanistan if we hadn't wasted so much time, mony, and effort in Iraq.

well, we would have already come to the conclusion that others learned (Russians, for example) about warring in this god forsaken place. And gotten the hell out. Killed Bin Laden 4 years ago too. might have let the GOP keep both ends of Congress.

well, we would have already come to the conclusion that others learned (Russians, for example) about warring in this god forsaken place.

You fool! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders - The most famous of which is "never get involved in a land war in Asia"
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

well, we would have already come to the conclusion that others learned (Russians, for example) about warring in this god forsaken place.

You fool! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders - The most famous of which is "never get involved in a land war in Asia"

Poor little Georgie never took that class at Yale.... He was too busy partying and being a good little cheer leader