lawrocket

How about that stock market?

The Dow fell another 520 points today. The Dow, S&P 500 and Nasdaq all lost in the 4% range.

We now have seen the 6th, 9th and 11th largest Dow Jones declines in history in the last four days of trading. It's lost two thousand points since mid-July and where is was in September, 2010.

I am myself a bit stumped by it. Mainly the volatility and fluctuations of 400 or 500 points in a day.

the volatility shouldnt stump you. The regulators over the years have done away with market makers. They were always the buyer of last resort. In the old days, 8 years ago or so, each stock would have several market makers trading the name. if the stock got hit, at some point they would step up with a bid from their own account. the system worked but regulators hated how they kept their spreads. they felt it was to wide and costing retail investors money. So now its too costly to make a market and you have stocks whipping around.

the other major difference is the speed. market makers could only do so much at a time and it slowed the pace down. programs work in fractions of a second. no person can keep up so the swings become greater. PM's and Traders, who would normally step in before things got crazy just cannot keep up.

Im not saying it could be better the old way or blaming regulators. times change. Markets need to be fair and orderly. Technology changes everything including the financial markets. Regulators are acting on behalf of the general public, not the market makers. It is what it is.
"The point is, I'm weird, but I never felt weird."
John Frusciante

Global stock markets crashed and gold soared to a new record high on Thursday, amid growing fears that the world is sliding into a double-dip recession.

Dire manufacturing figures from the US prompted a sell-off on Wall Street, where the Dow Jones plunged more than 500 points at one stage. It later traded down 445 points at 10965, a fall of nearly 4%.

The FTSE index in London plummeted 220 points, or 4.1%, to 5110 with all 100 stocks on the index down – banking and mining stocks were among the biggest fallers, led by Barclays, Lloyds Banking Group and Royal Bank of Scotland.

Germany's Dax fell 6.3% and France's Cac lost 5.7%, while markets in highly indebted Spain, Italy and Portugal dropped by 5.8%, 6.1% and 4.8% respectively. In Asia, Japan's Nikkei closed down 1.25% while Hong Kong's Hang Seng tumbled 1.2% and the Shanghai Composite ended the day 1.6% lower.

The yield on UK 10-year government bonds, known as gilts, tumbled to 2.34% – the lowest since 1897 – and gold jumped 2.1% to hit a fresh record high of $1,825.99 an ounce as investors fought shy of equities.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2011/aug/18/world-stock-markets-plunge-as-fears-of-recession-intensify
stay away from moving propellers - they bite
blue skies from thai sky adventures
good solid response-provoking keyboarding

getting very interesting :)

When shares are cheap relative to bonds, there’s usually a good reason for it. In a recession, corporate profits suffer, dividends are cut and corporate insolvencies rise. Equities therefore fall. Bonds, by contrast, become the default savings security of choice.

Money that would normally be spent or invested in productive assets gets instead squirrelled away in cash and its nearest equivalent, government bonds. A vicious circle developes, where more cash saving means less demand, equals less spending and employment, equals more cash saving. It’s what John Maynard Keynes dubbed “the paradox of thrift” – it’s obviously good for people to save but it’s very bad for demand. Bond yields are driven down to a level which reflects a deflationary environment, where prices fall rather than inflate.

Not good.

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/finance/jeremywarner/100011638/the-coming-depression-in-pictures/
stay away from moving propellers - they bite
blue skies from thai sky adventures
good solid response-provoking keyboarding

And here we go again! Back under 1200 on the failure of the debt committee to reach a deal.

[sarcasm]
Wow, am I surprised at this news about the debt committee. I am shocked to my very core. Now let's see if they can reach an agreement on how to announce their failure to reach an agreement.
[/sarcasm]

Others are fearful, so it's time to get greedy again.

Did you see in the news where McCain and others are already writing laws to bring to the floor that would stop the automatic spending cuts?
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

Fresh blood and fresh ideas.

Thats the ticket

Both parties want the status quo

The insider trading they are allowed to do makes them rich and does it fast

They do not want change

Time to boot them all out
Abraham Lincoln

Did you see in the news where McCain and others are already writing laws to bring to the floor that would stop the automatic spending cuts?

I imagine McCain would only seek to block the DoD cuts.

How did the whole thing shrink to 1.2T anyway? I thought the song and dance was for 4T in deficit (not debt) reduction over 10 years. And now we can't even get 1.2?

I imagine McCain would only seek to block the DoD cuts.

How did the whole thing shrink to 1.2T anyway? I thought the song and dance was for 4T in deficit (not debt) reduction over 10 years. And now we can't even get 1.2?

Ya

the whole thing was only a show to start with

Never was a chance

I think anybody who paid attention knew this from the git go

On another note

I thought I saw a news story where we hit the debt limit again

Did you see that?

(15 triilion?) Or is the limit higher than that now?

They have raised it some many times now I forget
Abraham Lincoln

It's official- super committee fails to reach a deal.

I think they need to go back, start over, and baby step the whole thing. Here's what I want to see:

'supercommittee agrees on folgers v maxwell house for morning coffee.'

'Super committee agrees an subway v quiznos for lunch.'

' super committe agrees no black olives or mushrooms on their pizza.'

'supercommittee agrees on where to go for margharitas for happy hour.'

Baby steps, baby steps.

Now Obama is on TV blaming the Republicans

:D:D

surprise surprise
Abraham Lincoln

From CNN:

"I'll veto any Effort to get rid of automatic spending cuts if congress fail to reach a deficit deal."

Well good. He's staring to act like a president. slam your fist down and say - "the buck stops here." net's sequester them like A jury- no turkey until you agree on what type of stuffing and gravy With the turkey.

....so long as he doesn't follow that up with a proposal for a trillion dollar jobs or infrastructure bill.

I'm all for another CCC, though I think the focus would be on larger infrastructure, rather than the smaller stuff like the great trails in Yosemite (which are still quite functional).

But spending is spending and he just said he was committing to reductions, so any such proposal needs to be balanced with funding in the form of taxes or other cuts.

Why not? The Republicans don't have to compromise on anything.
They're going to get their cuts and no new taxes and all they had to do was sit back in their chairs and cross their arms.
I promise not to TP Davis under canopy.. I promise not to TP Davis under canopy.. eat sushi, get smoochieTTK#1

As if anybody is at all surprised that they couldn't make a deal.

As if anybody is surprised that they point fingers at each other.

As if anybody is amazed that the mandatoryt cuts won't come until 2013 - after the 2012 elections.

And will anybody be surprised when, prior to the start of fiscal year 2013-2014 that the Congress will block the cuts and the President will sign the legislation? Because "now is not the time to make these cuts."

My wife is hotter than your wife.

I think the biggest mistake here was leaving this in the hands of Congress. Is it possible to go outside of Congress to a third party institution and have them submit multiple proposals for Congressional approval?

I'm not up on my Constitutional law, but removing the politicians from the process may be a last ditch option. Of course, a 2012 house cleaning would probably do the same thing. Fresh blood and fresh ideas.

I don't know of anything that would prevent anyone from writing a proposal and having a congressman sponsor it through the process.

House cleaning? In this country?
:D:D:D
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

They're going to get their cuts and no new taxes and all they had to do was sit back in their chairs and cross their arms.

It was the DEMS that rejected a plan that would have increased revenue by roughly 500 billion and cut spending by roughly 700 billion.

Of course, the MSM and Obama are calling it 'Republican obstructionism'....quelle surprise.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

It was the DEMS that rejected a plan that would have increased revenue by roughly 500 billion and cut spending by roughly 700 billion.

Of course, the MSM and Obama are calling it 'Republican obstructionism'....quelle surprise.

They're politicians, do we expect any different?

I'd sooner be a used car salesman at a buy-here-pay-here joint than run for mayor...

Not what happened

The Republicans offered a starting point

The Dems offered NO real spending cuts

One better than the other?

Not really

But blaming the R's is dishonest, but that, in the end, is what politics is today
Abraham Lincoln

sure they did - they are all kicking in automatically starting in 2013, and the politicians are already lobbying on the TV this a.m. early to stop the cuts before they even go into effect. especially the DoD

Obama said "No" and he will veto any chance to do that.

get yer story straight. I fail to see why the automatic spending cuts are not being implemented TODAY......across the board, EVERY department, ALL at once

Then we would feel some pain, then we would see some change.

Both sides are assholes. Glad I voted for neither one.

When 2012 comes, the Republicans win a majority, the deficit goes up, spending stays out of control and the taxes get lowered and we are COMPLETELY in the shitter deeper than ever, - my prediction.

Anyone who votes Rep or Dem and expects things to get better is fucking kidding themselves.....

sure they did - they are all kicking in automatically starting in 2013, and the politicians are already lobbying on the TV this a.m. early to stop the cuts before they even go into effect. especially the DoD

Obama said "No" and he will veto any chance to do that.

get yer story straight. I fail to see why the automatic spending cuts are not being implemented TODAY......across the board, EVERY department, ALL at once

Then we would feel some pain, then we would see some change.

Both sides are assholes. Glad I voted for neither one.

When 2012 comes, the Republicans win a majority, the deficit goes up, spending stays out of control and the taxes get lowered and we are COMPLETELY in the shitter deeper than ever, - my prediction.

Anyone who votes Rep or Dem and expects things to get better is fucking kidding themselves.....

MY story is straight
What you are talking about is the automatic cuts should the committee reach no decision
which it did not

Now get YOUR story straight:S
Abraham Lincoln

http://news.yahoo.com/obama-puts-medicare-social-security-cuts-table-031442907.html

Obama has had social security and medicare cuts on the table since last summer.

which part of 'your story' is that in? 'cause I cannot find it.

and the automatic cuts are still cuts, so to say there are none, is a wash.

Are you writing your congress reps to tell them that DoD cuts are necessary? I bet not. And I bet 'your' elected representatives do everything they can to block the cuts of any kind.

so again, they are ALL assholes, on both sides and the people that support them, thinking that things will improve, are delusional at best.

Got a bill number for that?

Na

It is just a talking point

He will figure it out someday....
Abraham Lincoln