regulator

Cop threatens to execute driver over concealed weapon permit

This is one of the reasons I find it hilarious that some people think they could resist using their own weapons agains the state if the state decided to repeat that bit of history or if, like the Tea Party sometimes suggests, make use of "2nd Amendment remedies."

It's just ridiculous.

Which, of course, is why the US military has completely eradicated AQ in Iran and Afghanistan, right?

I guess you could ask the folks that have tried to put up a resistance like that in our recent past, but they're all dead.

Disparity of numbers - all else being equal, 10 people will always prevail against a single person.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

This is one of the reasons I find it hilarious that some people think they could resist using their own weapons agains the state if the state decided to repeat that bit of history or if, like the Tea Party sometimes suggests, make use of "2nd Amendment remedies."
It's just ridiculous.

Which, of course, is why the US military has completely eradicated AQ in Iran and Afghanistan, right?

The issues with eradication of AQ in the Middle East has almost nothing to do with them owning military quality hand guns and rifles. If that were the only issue, they'd be dead a long time ago.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

It's just ridiculous.

The issues with eradication of AQ in the Middle East has almost nothing to do with them owning military quality hand guns and rifles. If that were the only issue, they'd be dead a long time ago.

And the issues with putting down an uprising in the States would have almost nothing to do with them owning military quality handguns and rifles.
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

It's just ridiculous.

And the issues with putting down an uprising in the States would have almost nothing to do with them owning military quality handguns and rifles.

RIGHT!

Which is exactly why it's stupid for people to continue to attempt to use that as some sort of justification for an "armed citizenry" for "2nd Amendment solutions."

Your little pop guns ain't what's going to make the "revolution" possible.
quade -

It's just ridiculous.

RIGHT!

Which is exactly why it's stupid for people to continue to attempt to use that as some sort of justification for an "armed citizenry" for "2nd Amendment solutions."

AAANnndd.....you completely missed the point - why am I not surprised?
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

It's just ridiculous.

RIGHT!

You seem to be attempting to make a different point than I am and have been for quite some time. If you continually drift in your personal concept of what is being talked about, I can't control that.

Be that as it may, the idea of "2nd Amendment solutions" as being a legitimate reason in today's world for gun owners is simply silly.

The point came up about Jews being disarmed by the Nazis . . . the fact is, it wouldn't have really made all that much of a difference. Up to that point, it's not exactly like the Jews were all that violent to begin with. They weren't exactly known at the time for taking up arms. They were more interested in banking, not a violent revolution and overthrow of pre-Nazi Germany.

Your comments equating the Jews to AQ are hilarious.
quade -

It's just ridiculous.

RIGHT!

You seem to be attempting to make a different point than I am and have been for quite some time. If you continually drift in your personal concept of what is being talked about, I can't control that.

Odd - and here I thought we were discussing the use of weapons in an uprising against gov't - when did *you* change the subject?

Be that as it may, the idea of "2nd Amendment solutions" as being a legitimate reason in today's world for gun owners is simply silly.

Yes, that was your "they could NEVER stand up against the military' quip.... which I debunked by showing that AQ is doing EXACTLY that.

The point came up about Jews being disarmed by the Nazis . . . the fact is, it wouldn't have really made all that much of a difference.

Really? Look up "Warsaw Ghetto Uprising". You think a country full of people with the will to resist couldn't have made a similar showing?
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Really? Look up "Warsaw Ghetto Uprising". You think a country full of people with the will to resist couldn't have made a similar showing?

Yes! By all means. Let's look at that.

Except it wasn't "a country full of people" and the US would similarly never have "a country full of people" either. They'd have a smallish pocket of determined people the military would crush just like the Germans did at the Ghetto.

Any idea of a citizen army rising up and overthrowing the government of the US is simply ridiculous at this point.

More recently, The Wall in Germany and the Moscow uprising would not have taken place if the government had actually wanted to stop either.

Simply look at Tiananmen Square.

Each and every person in the square could have been armed to the teeth and it still wouldn't have made one damn bit of difference. I'm fully convinced the government in that case was willing to mow down every last one of them.

And yes, I'm willing to say on record I think the same thing would happen here if the wrong guy was in office at the time.

Your biggest ally in your "revolution" would be the compassion the guy at the top had. Not whether or not you had weapons.
quade -

They'd have a smallish pocket of determined people the military would crush just like the Germans did at the Ghetto.

Which takes us RIGHT back to AQ - how's that "crushing" going, again?

Any idea of a citizen army rising up and overthrowing the government of the US is simply ridiculous at this point.

I imagine King George said something similar back in the late 1700's.

Your biggest ally in your "revolution" would be the compassion the guy at the top had. Not whether or not you had weapons.

Vietnam, Afghanistan, Iraq... all fought by mismatched forces with inferior weapons. The American Revolution was fought by 3% of the population.

The Army and Marines number approximately 1.5 million, active and Reserve.

Even 1% of the current population doubles the military numbers, and defenders have between an 8:1 and 10:1 advantage in MOUT operations.
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

They'd have a smallish pocket of determined people the military would crush just like the Germans did at the Ghetto.

I dunno. How's Ruby Ridge and The Waco Compound?

You seem to think 1% of the US population could over throw the US government by armed aggression. Really? Not a chance.

There's no fuggin' way you'd be able to keep any advanced plans like that secret today. None. Try it. I challenge you to write 100 of your closest friends an email suggesting an armed revolt.

I'm almost certain you'd be visited by the FBI within a day or two. Most likely well before you even heard back from all your friends, let alone organized 3 million of them.
quade -

I dunno. How's Ruby Ridge and The Waco Compound?

Ruby Ridge, where two men stood off several hundred law enforcement officers for 12 days?

The Davidian compound, where less than 50 men stood off hundreds of law enforcement officers for over 50 days before being burned to death?

Both in confined places where there was nowhere to retreat to? You just proved my point.

You seem to think 1% of the US population could over throw the US government by armed aggression. Really? Not a chance.

And the examples of the American Revolution, Afghanistan, Iraq, etc. prove your OPINION of the matter wrong.

There's no fuggin' way you'd be able to keep any advanced plans like that secret today. None. Try it. I challenge you to write 100 of your closest friends an email suggesting an armed revolt.

You make the large assumptions that:

1. It would be something planned beforehand
2. If it *were* planned, it would be discussed via means that the government could intercept
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

2. If it *were* planned, it would be discussed via means that the government could intercept

1 - Yes.
Otherwise how the hell would anybody know to get out of bed?

2 - Yes.
Oh, I see. You seem to think there's some magic form of telepathy or other form of communication the government can't tap into yet the average (or hell, even above average) citizen would be able to use?

I'm sorry to have to tell you this, but no. There isn't. Certainly not one that would have any chance of reaching 1% of the population in a way that could be kept secret.

I mean, unless you're talking about some secret decoder ring. That is high quality top secret secret stuff!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdA__2tKoIU
quade -

1 - Yes.
Otherwise how the hell would anybody know to get out of bed?

You're still assuming.

How did the Rodney King rioters know to get out of bed?

2 - Yes.
Oh, I see. You seem to think there's some magic form of telepathy or other form of communication the government can't tap into yet the average (or hell, even above average) citizen would be able to use?

Yes, that amazing telepathic program called PGP - I would ask if you've heard of it, but it's obvious you haven't.

I'm sorry to have to tell you this, but no. There isn't. Certainly not one that would have any chance of reaching 1% of the population in a way that could be kept secret.

Yes, because NOBODY has ever gotten spam from an anonymous emailer....right?

I mean, unless you're talking about some secret decoder ring. That is high quality top secret secret stuff!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdA__2tKoIU

Can't do youtube....but thanks for showing your (lack of) understanding of the issue.
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

19 Saudis, who were not even citizens, managed to train in the US and then commit acts costing us trillions of dollars. The 1% don't have to act as a single entity to disrupt the nation. It can operate at local levels, with more limited coordination. And if you really have 3M people in groups of 10-20, there aren't enough government agents to intercept them all.

Why continue to ignore history that shows itself constantly. We saw it in Vietnam, and we continue to see it in Iraq and Afghanistan. The protesters in Syria and the other countries that did mass protests this year have mostly been non violent groups (or unarmed), but even they've been fairly successful. The government of a nation has trouble shutting up a significant minority of its people, and greater trouble killing even hundreds without consequences.

2 - Yes.

Yes, that amazing telepathic program called PGP - I would ask if you've heard of it, but it's obvious you haven't.

Oh my, sir, you are naive if you think messages sent under PGP are not instantly flagged and nearly instantly cracked by the NSA.

Sending a message with PGP encryption is essentially the same thing as sending it via the Little Orphan Annie Secret Decoder Ring method. It will keep your messages to your mistress "secret" from perhaps your wife, but certainly not the NSA.
quade -

2 - Yes.

Oh my, sir, you are naive if you think messages sent under PGP are not instantly flagged and nearly instantly cracked by the NSA.

Sending a message with PGP encryption is essentially the same thing as sending it via the Little Orphan Annie Secret Decoder Ring method. It will keep your messages to your mistress "secret" from perhaps your wife, but certainly not the NSA.

Got a cite for that?
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

2 - Yes.

Got a cite for that?

Again, I say go for it!

Send out your email about armed revolution to 100 of your friends using whatever cryptological method you desire.

Let's see what happens!

But hell, don't take my advice. Take the advice of guys that have actually thought about it for more than a day or two.

http://www.ncmilitia.org/spycounterspy/fs006.html

Google up "NSA PGP" and you'll find hundreds of articles. Although nobody can say with 100% certainty what the capabilities of the NSA are, I think a person would have to almost be an imbecile to underestimate them and assume the planning for their "revolution" can take place unnoticed in today's post-9/11 US.

This is among the reasons the government has less fear of a large uprising and is terrified by very small cells and the "lone wolf."
quade -

You are giving the government far too much credit.
They failed to prevent 911 but in hindsight they had all the info they needed.
They failed to prevent Pearl Harbor.
The list goes on and on. In each case the government had the intell but failed to recognize it for what it was.
Hell, they had one of Jeff Dahmer's victims naked and pleading for help in the streets yet gave the poor S.O.B. back to that monster.
Another thing you fail to recognize is that in any large uprising or revolution, to destroy the revolutionaries you must destroy yourself to an equal or greater degree.
In case you still aren't convinced a small group of people can fuck over their government, one name: Somalia.
HAMMER:
Originally employed as a weapon of war, the hammer nowadays is used as a
kind of divining rod to locate the most expensive parts adjacent the
object we are trying to hit.

2 - Yes.

Got a cite for that?

Again, I say go for it!

Send out your email about armed revolution to 100 of your friends using whatever cryptological method you desire.

Let's see what happens!

But hell, don't take my advice. Take the advice of guys that have actually thought about it for more than a day or two.

http://www.ncmilitia.org/spycounterspy/fs006.html

Google up "NSA PGP" and you'll find hundreds of articles. Although nobody can say with 100% certainty what the capabilities of the NSA are, I think a person would have to almost be an imbecile to underestimate them and assume the planning for their "revolution" can take place unnoticed in today's post-9/11 US.

You make an AWFUL lot of assumptions. You assume that Fed.gov already has suspicions and has the person under surveillance. Then, they either have to break into the house and bug it, or TEMPEST the computer, or find where passphrases are written down - and do you *REALLY* think that someone that serious would have them written down?

You *do* realize that the last RSA challenge took just short of 3 years of calendar time, right?

And your example *still* doesn't support your "instantly flagged and decoded" statement.
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

In case you still aren't convinced a small group of people can fuck over their government, one name: Somalia.

I'm almost certain the current, post-9/11 NSA has one or two more capabilities than Somalia ever dreamed of in detecting the early stages of an uprising.

While you may have a point about me perhaps overestimating the capabilities of the NSA, I'm equally certain you personally would be unwilling to gamble your current way of life on running the email experiment to find out. ;)
quade -

And your example *still* doesn't support your "instantly flagged and decoded" statement.

Mike, I don't want to cast any aspersions on you so I'm hoping you don't take this personally because that is truly NOT the way it's intended, however, with the amount of on-line ill will you've shown toward certain members of the government, don't you think you're already flagged?

I'm not suggesting you've ever done anything too untoward or made any death threats or that the "government" has you bugged or anything . . . but . . . I can't for the life of me imagine a scenario that doesn't have "mnealtx" in a database somewhere to be kept watch on and if "mnealtx" sent out the previously proposed howeverthehell encrypted email about an armed revolt that it somehow wouldn't be instantly flagged and looked at.

And again, I don't mean this as any sort of insult at all. In fact, I think I'm probably in the exact same position.

What I'm fascinated in is that you've somehow not thought about it before and come to the exact same conclusion.
quade -

Mike, I don't want to cast any aspersions on you so I'm hoping you don't take this personally because that is truly NOT the way it's intended, however, with the amount of ill will you've shown toward certain members of the government, don't you think you're already flagged?

Amount of ill will I've shown? I was unaware that sarcasm and satire was considered "ill will" these days.

I can't for the life of me imagine a scenario that doesn't have "mnealtx" in a database somewhere to be kept watch on and if "mnealtx" sent out the previously proposed howeverthehell encrypted email about an armed revolt that it somehow wouldn't be instantly flagged and looked at.

I'm sure that virtually all of us are in some sort of gov't database.

And you're making the assumption that the person would only use PGP for that single email....which is probably not the case.

And again, I don't mean this as any sort of insult at all. In fact, I think I'm probably in the exact same position.

As I said above, I think most all of us are on some sort of database or another.

What I'm fascinated in is that you've somehow not thought about it before and come to the exact same conclusion.

Again, you assume that the person is only going to use PGP for that one email.
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Again, you assume that the person is only going to use PGP for that one email.

Actually, Mike, the less you use encryption, the more difficult is it for people to crack. People are generally lazy and have a tendency to reuse passwords or make passwords that follow a pattern or use words in their messages that repeat from message to message. Those are among the ways Enigma was cracked in WWII.

For instance, if I was working for the NSA, one of the first patterns I'd be looking for in messages from AQ would be the Arabic equivalents of "God is great" because no matter what the message it's probably going to have that in there somewhere. I know it sounds like it would be silly attempting to look for that in the encrypted messages, but if I had thousands and thousands of them, even though they are encrypted, they'd still pop out like a sort thumb via statistical analysis. I used to do that sort of thing in high school for fun using the equivalents of Enigma messages. OK, they only had the equivalent of 5 or 6 wheels and I was programming in BASIC, but let's assume the NSA has better computers, smarter people and it's not just a hobby.

So the plotter of the "revolution" is kinda screwed either way. If he ONLY sends out one encrypted message, it's going to pop up as something unusual. If he's ALWAYS sending encrypted messages, they probably have noticed that and already have his passwords he normally uses and they don't even have to bother "cracking" it; just open it up like they normally do.
quade -