regulator

Cop threatens to execute driver over concealed weapon permit

Hitler used to have wet dreams about entire brigades of people just like you under his command.

I was unaware you had studied Hitler's wet dreams. Sounds kind of icky to me, but bravo on the Godwin's law proof.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Among the pressures facing police officiers working the streets of America is the rising number of people legally carrying concealed guns. But when one such licensee was pulled over in Canton, Ohio, an officer threatened to shoot him on the spot. Here's the chilling video.
The arrest took place in early June, but the video only came to light today from a group called Ohioans for Concealed Carry. They had been working on behalf of the driver of the Pontiac Grand Prix, known so far only as William, who was arrested and charged in the stop.

As the 17-minute dashcam video shows, the two Canton police officers see the car pulled over in a neighborhood and detain a male passenger and a woman standing outside, whom the officers quickly identify as a prostitute. After telling the driver to stay put, they detain the male passenger and search the back of the car for a few minutes.

Only after that search does Officer Daniel Harless start questioning William, some seven minutes into the video — who then admits, when he can get a word in, that he has a concealed weapon, and tries to show Harless his permit. When he discovers William's gun in his belt, Harless instead becomes enraged: "You are supposed to say that right off the goddamned bat!"

Right now, the shit that you just pulled, I could blast you right in the mouth...I am so close to caving in you're goddamn head...you're just a stupid human being...People like you don't deserve to move throughout public. Stupid idiot."

After searching the car, getting worked up with his partner, and hearing from police dispatch that William does indeed have a legal permit to carry a concealed weapon, Harless comes back to the cruiser where William has been detained:

I swear to God man this little bull crap you just pulled right now has got me so hot. You know what I should have done? I'll tell you what I should have done. As soon as I saw your gun, I should have taken two steps back, pulled my Glock 40 and just put ten bullets in your ass and let you drop. And I wouldn'tve lost any sleep. And he would have been a nice witness as I executed you because you're stupid.

William was charged with two misdemeanor counts; one for stopping in the roadway, and another for failing to inform officers of his weapons.

After the video surfaced, the Canton police announced that Harless had been put on indefinite suspension last month, and the case forwarded to Internal Affairs. Ohio gun activists are raising money for William's defense. And the rest of us get to hope the next misunderstanding ends more amicably, rather than less.

http://jalopnik.com/5823543/cop-threatens-to-execute-driver-over-concealed-weapon-permit

I can tell you that if this was me all I would have said to the officer would be "My attorney is going to love this". Then I would have taken my right to be silent that was not given to me and just smiled.

As a person with the right to carry legally I do not think I should even have to inform the officer.

PPl who carry legally are far less likely to commit crime especially violent crime.

http://thetruthaboutguns.com/2011/07/robert-farago/question-of-the-day-why-are-concealed-carry-permit-holders-more-law-abiding-than-the-general-population/
Life is all about ass....either you're kicking it, kissing it, working it off, or trying to get a piece of it.
Muff Brother #4382 Dudeist Skydiver #000
www.fundraiseadventure.com

As a person with the right to carry legally I do not think I should even have to inform the officer.

I guess that depends greatly on the law of whatever state you're in. If it's the law of the state that you must inform, then, you probably ought to regardless of what you think is right. According to the Attorney General's Office for the State of Ohio, it appears as if it's required.

Here's the 2009 Concealed Carry Laws Manual from the Ohio State Attorney General's Office.

http://www.ohioattorneygeneral.gov/getattachment/02ff1ca7-b17e-46e2-9f1f-505beac65926/2009-Concealed-Carry-Laws-Booklet.aspx

Scroll down to page 14 under "Traffic Stops and Other Law Enforcement Encounters."
quade -

I guess that depends greatly on the law of whatever state you're in. If it's the law of the state that you must inform, then, you probably ought to regardless of what you think is right. According to the Attorney General's Office for the State of Ohio, it appears as if it's required.

Here's the 2009 Concealed Carry Laws Manual from the Ohio State Attorney General's Office.

http://www.ohioattorneygeneral.gov/getattachment/02ff1ca7-b17e-46e2-9f1f-505beac65926/2009-Concealed-Carry-Laws-Booklet.aspx

Scroll down to page 14 under "Traffic Stops and Other Law Enorcement Encounters."

Quade.... I know I have my permit that's why I said I think as it is my opinion and I think it should move that way. If I get pulled over I tell them right away and my license plate is flagged as well. But I can tell you if a cop told me to not speak I wouldn't and when I had my chance I would let him/her know I was armed and have my permit. If this asshole was my cop then my attorney would have a field day.

Thanks giving me a link to something I am well aware of.......
Life is all about ass....either you're kicking it, kissing it, working it off, or trying to get a piece of it.

Just a question, RStanley, but what would your attorney do to the cop? My opinion, part of what makes this so egregious is that the victim is left with little or not recourse. The police department "may" investigate. My guess is this cop might get some remedial training at most, when I think he should be both fired and charged with assault but it will be a cold day in hell before that happens. I guess a citizen could file a civil action, maybe, but I'm not quite sure what the civil action would be for? And what the expected outcome would be?
"What if there were no hypothetical questions?"

Hitler used to have wet dreams about entire brigades of people just like you under his command.

I was unaware you had studied Hitler's wet dreams. Sounds kind of icky to me, but bravo on the Godwin's law proof.

Thank you, but I was only pointing out the obvious.
If it looks like a duck.....
HAMMER:
Originally employed as a weapon of war, the hammer nowadays is used as a
kind of divining rod to locate the most expensive parts adjacent the
object we are trying to hit.

Wow dude, I had no idea about you, Hitler and the duck. What goes on between you three behind closed doors is your own issue. TMI, man. TMI.
quade -

Wow dude, I had no idea about you, Hitler and the duck. What goes on between you three behind closed doors is your own issue. TMI, man. TMI.

Very predictable response.
You lose, I win. :)
HAMMER:

Yes- Officers don't care much for surprises. If the officer asks, tell him you have a permit and a concealed weapon. If he does not ask, keep your mouth shut, unless obligated by your State laws to do so. Keep your hands on the steering wheel. If you have tinted windows, open the ones where the officer approaches before he arrives. Be polite and compliant. Tell your passengers to be polite as well. The officer is probably NOT why you have a permit is it? When requested, reach slowly, one handed for your I.D. If it's in the glove box or under the seat, for Christ's sake, tell them so before you reach, they may have other instructions.
Also- recent U.S. Supreme Court decisions do not allow searches of vehicles, even if an arrest is made unless it is connected to the arrest Like DUI/liquor bottle in plain view etc.- or with a search warrant obtained later. That officer has a lot of 'splaining' to do. He will be censured by his agency at length. He could lose his job. Some jurisdictions would charge him criminally, and in point of fact it could well be a Civil Rights violation under title 18 U.S. codes.

I do see a cop perhaps overreacting to discovering a weapon on a subject where it appears as if the subject may have been required by law to inform the police officer of the weapon and failed to do so.

Did you watch the video, quade? You keep sating that the subject did not attempt to inform the cop that he was carrying with a CCW. Watch the video again. Or reread my previous posts directed at you pointing out that the subject tried a few times to tell the cop that he was carrying but was told to shutup each time by the cop before he could finish anything.

After you watch the video again, quade, now do you see that he tried to tell the cop he was carrying? So he didn't break that law (in Ohio you must tell the cop you are carrying).

Further, the subject did so as the result of the subject apparently attempting to commit a crime and now he's whining to the pro-gun enthusiasts in an attempt to deflect from his own misdeeds.

That we agree on. The dude should be charged with soliciting prostitutes and that's it. No gun charges should be brought up.

1) The male pimp was in his backseat

2) The lady outside the passenger window is a known whore

3) He tried multiple tims to tell the cop that he had a gun and CCW.

4) The initial stop was justified (see numbers 1 and 2)

5) In Ohio you must inform an officer that you are carrying with a CCW.

7) The cop was outraged when he "realized" that the subject had a gun w/o informing the officers. But see #3. With that said, the basis for the cop's reaction to him "not informing" is hogwash. Watch the video again.

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=4155220#4155220

You lose, I win. :)

Really? You thought you "won" something by having a different opinion on the internet?

Oh . . . kay . . .

No, I "won" by way of you abandoning your senseless defense of the shitball cop and resorting to sarcasm aimed at ridiculous and unassociated subjects.
That's ok. Even though you don't have the integrity to admit when you are wrong we still know what you mean.
HAMMER:

7) The cop was outraged when he "realized" that the subject had a gun w/o informing the officers. But see #3. With that said, the basis for the cop's reaction to him "not informing" is hogwash. Watch the video again.

What happened to #6?

What happened to #6?

That's a secret ;)

Yeah..... secret:P

Just a question, RStanley, but what would your attorney do to the cop? My opinion, part of what makes this so egregious is that the victim is left with little or not recourse. The police department "may" investigate. My guess is this cop might get some remedial training at most, when I think he should be both fired and charged with assault but it will be a cold day in hell before that happens. I guess a citizen could file a civil action, maybe, but I'm not quite sure what the civil action would be for? And what the expected outcome would be?

I would take it to a civil matter but after I made a huge deal to the department and hopefully moved towards a big punishment for how he acted. I actually sent this over to my attorney and he even said that this would not be a hard case to press.

Thanks giving me a link to something I am well aware of.......

Certainly didn't seem that way in your post!

Read it again... maybe it will become more clear to you. I stated "I think" and I do think that but I am not an idiot. I would not break that rule because I do not really want to be drawn on by a officer of the law even if he is an asshole.

I would take it to a civil matter but after I made a huge deal to the department and hopefully moved towards a big punishment for how he acted. I actually sent this over to my attorney and he even said that this would not be a hard case to press.

I understand the more resources you have ($$ for attorney) the easier it is to pressure the department to take meaningful action against the officer. Usually people don't have the resources to do that. I am curios to know exactly what kind of civil claim would result.
"What if there were no hypothetical questions?"

I understand the more resources you have ($$ for attorney) the easier it is to pressure the department to take meaningful action against the officer. Usually people don't have the resources to do that. I am curios to know exactly what kind of civil claim would result.

I do not know for sure but if you really want me to I can ask Todd (attorney) what kind of civil claim he would pursue. You would have to have the money to move forward but it may be less than you think.

What happened to #6?

Number 6 is a stupid idiot who isn't allowed to walk around in public!
It's all been said before, no sense repeating it here.