kallend

Torture did NOT lead to finding Osama bin Laden

Seems like a lot of naive people around.

the stupid ones who think torture is ok by the state are the ones i worry about...

Actually I just consider myself a realist.

And as an example the recent arrest of the Imam and 2 of his sons for collecting and sending money to terrorists-yes he went through the motions of obtaining a piece of paper that said he was a US citizen, however there is no way I would consider him as such. More like a terrorist on a mission that included gettting citizenship here to complete his mission.
So if he just disappeared (and secrets were kept secret-yes like Jimmy Hoffa!) instead of being arrested-and we even anything knew about it-I figure I could read between the lines. Either he went into hiding or someone scooped him up.
And I have to ask again-if whatever happened to one of these guys actually prevented your own kids along with hundreds of others from being raped tortured and blown up-would you honestly give a fuck?
What would the parents of the kids in Beslan have to say? Before and then after?
And I do realize that whatever moral stand anyone may have sitting behind a keyboard would more than likely change completely if they were instead sitting outside their kid's school hearing them scream.
Because I'm just a realist.

And what if someone tortured your kids because they may have been plotting against America? Or maybe they weren't, but whatever, if we have the chance to save some other American kids, I'm sure you're okay with torturing yours.

Or maybe its only okay with you if we torture other people's kids?

Here's an idea: let's not torture anybody. Maybe we can take a step towards being the great country we should be.

- Dan G

I am bothered by those who demonize people with whom they ideologically disagree with labels that are factually inaccurate. It's a sly way of playing the person and not the ball.

are you now talking about Speaker's Corner debate tactic #1?

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

I am bothered by those who demonize people with whom they ideologically disagree with labels that are factually inaccurate. It's a sly way of playing the person and not the ball.

are you now talking about Speaker's Corner debate tactic #1?

Kitten-eaters like you and your ilk would ask that...

Some people voluntarily choose to have their genitalia pierced.

Using rushmc "logic" that means sticking needles into the genitals of POWs is not torture.

Some people voluntarily choose to have their noses, navels and cheeks pierced.

Using rushmc "logic" that means sticking needles into the bodies of POWs is not torture.

Some people, those into S&M, voluntarily choose to be whipped.

Using rushmc "logic" that means whipping and beating POWs is acceptable.

Some people choose to have anal sex.

Using rushmc "logic" that means sodomizing POWs is acceptable and is not torture.

There's something seriously wrong with rushmc "logic".

so, then, just for debate purposes, then can we call the following "Kallend logic"?:

If the SERE team member can opt out of training by quitting = not torture

then, prisoners can opt out of torture by providing information = not torture

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

just confess you're a witch (and your children as well) and we won't torture you any more...
stay away from moving propellers - they bite
blue skies from thai sky adventures
good solid response-provoking keyboarding

Which is exactly the problem. If they don't have information, they only way they can get it to stop is by making stuff up.

- Dan G

Which is exactly the problem. If they don't have information, they only way they can get it to stop is by making stuff up.

so you are acknowledging, that the goal is to get info at least - not just gratuitous torture for the sake of inflicting pain? (straw man typically thrown out by now in this type of thread)

then it comes down to a risk tradeoff discussion, not an absolute position

so you are acknowledging, that the goal is to get info at least

no, the object is to get the prisoner to confess to whatever you want them to...

(where did you get your terrorist training? - we know it was iraq admit it)

no, the object is to get the prisoner to confess to whatever you want them to...

normally I'm the cynic.

But your ability to incorrectly stereotype others with your biases in these threads is dizzying, keep it up.

Seems like a lot of naive people around.

the stupid ones who think torture is ok by the state are the ones i worry about...

I am bothered by those who believe it is OK for America to be the victim and not retaliate.

Hey... why not jump on the WAR CRIMINAL train.. a hell of a lot of countries have over the last century since we started to at least TRY to put aon a veneer of civilization. One of the strengths of THIS country has been the fact that we treated our prisoners far better than their countries treated ours. That was a HUGE advantage in having people surrender to our troops instead of fighting to the death.

People who put so little stock in the Geneva Conventions put our own people at a disadvantage... like in the next conflict having ALL of our captured troops executed as war criminals.. since we did not bother following those civilized rules of conflict that our country signed onto and blithered on and on and on... when the treatment of OUR people did not meet those standards.

But if you just want to throw out all the conventions.... why not.. but its taking us back to a time when many things were done in the name of your Lord that you blither on and on and on about.. that were and still are abhorrent.

normally I'm the cynic.

you seem very naive to me as regards the purposes of torture...

...And if taking a terrorist and skinning the bastard alive (of course keep it a damn secret!-loose lips sink ships!) kept them from carrying out an attack on US schools like in Beslan Russia- think I'd really give a fuck?
I realize this post will probably stir up some shit-I just consider it a dose of reality.....
Fact is intel has come out of Afghanistan that one of their plans has been attacks on US middle schools. If that intel has helped prevent that horror from happening to your own kids would you honestly give a fuck how it was obtained?

The reality is that torture doesn't work in the real world. It either gets you misinformation or gets the suspect to confess to whatever the torturer wants him to.

It also has a rather nasty tendency to turn the torturer into a sociopathic monster.

Oh man you have no idea how many graduates of the School of the Americas fit that bill to a T:S:S:S:S

You may want to add in a few other descriptors like psycopathic sadistic rapist murders as well. Absolute power as wielded by those graduates led to the death of THOUSANDS across a couple continents. Some of them brought some inteesting skills with them to pass along and they were added to the repetoire.. that were honed to a fine point... all for the good.

I'm just surprised to learn that your name is Richard.

He has earned the same professional name you have
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

New information is not asked for during waterboarding
Abraham Lincoln

normally I'm the cynic.

you seem very naive to me as regards the purposes of torture...

when you see public torture (other countries - think decapitations, and political assassinations) when the victim is on display to create a specific response and push a political agenda - that's one kind. It matters little what's requested nor what the victim (specific here - "victim") knows. it's a show, and it's very wrong

torture as a revenge method, etc, is extremely rare and associated with psychopaths, right? and those mentalities are rare, even though this is the extreme example that you lay your argument on - you watch too many CSI's and other syndicated TV shows. this wrong, and criminal of course

torture as an interrogation tool isn't public nor should it be emotionally choreographed, it's usually hidden, and it's for the intent of gathering critical data. One can argue about its effectiveness all day, but the intent is very clear. Secret torture doesn't garner any political gain, nor and public relations gain (only losses). This item is the one people should really be debating. I'd think that doing this in an effective manner is likely rigorous, strategic and time consuming enough that other methods should be preferred - already discussed with Andy in a good conversation that didn't include idiotic personal jabs. right vs wrong is pretty contextual otherwise

those are a couple types that I can conceive up front - I'm sure there are more

naivety is assuming that only your narrow view of a subject - as defined to you by an extreme set of narrow, biased, prejudiced, emotive-only and political viewpoints is (right back atcha then since you insist) pretty much your area of strength. stick with it, it's good clean fun

you are wrong

which are saying: that you think Dreamdancer is very sophisticated, or that I'm naive then?

:D or is it just an unrelated comment in general to marc? if so, i think he gets plenty of random insults already - some earned, some just offered up for free

funny

(seriously - DD called me naive, rush pinged him on the irony meter, you called rush wrong. Though I prefer your answer anyway - I don't mind visiting Iowa, I wouldn't want to stay there)

you are wrong

which are saying: that you think Dreamdancer is very sophisticated, or that I'm naive then?

:D or is it just an unrelated comment in general to marc? if so, i think he gets plenty of random insults already - some earned, some just offered up for free

Some earned??:o

Well, ya, maybe :$
Abraham Lincoln

I think SkyDekker was refering to rush's comment that no new information is asked for during waterboarding. Apparently marc saw some show about interrogation and now he's an expert.

I understand his theory that you only ask questions that you know the answer to, and then punish lies with waterboarding. The problem with that strategy is if some of the information you think you know is wrong, or if the subject doesn't know the right answer, you're right back to forcing the subject to say what you want him to.

For instance, my sources have told me that 2+2=5. I have remwa in the waterboarding room, and ask him what 2+2 is. When he says 4, I subject him to torture. Then I ask him again. Maybe he says 4 again, maybe he takes a guess and says 3. I only stop waterboarding him when he says 5. According to rush, I've now proven to him that I know everything and he better answer truthfully. Obviously I've done no such thing. Since no new information is asked during torture, I'm not sure what I've gained, but I'm sure rushmc can explain what I'm supposed to do from there.

- Dan G

For instance, my sources have told me that 2+2=5. I have remwa in the waterboarding room, and ask him what 2+2 is. When he says 4, I subject him to torture. Then I ask him again. Maybe he says

ok, I'm also against poorly planned and executed torture for information when my validating information is crappy - glad that's cleared up. Can you name anyone, at least on this board, that would be pro-"poorly conducted interrogation methods"?

however, throwing out specific scenarios where it wouldn't work acknowledges that it can also be done correctly as well - so you are just entering the discussion about risk tradeoff vs the more subjective discussion of basic right vs wrong (absolutist discussion that goes nowhere anyway)

edit: :P:ph34r: and you still didn't acknowledge the possibility that some posters just randomly look for rushmc posts and then reply that he's wrong without reading them - it's a fantastic time saver