kallend

Torture did NOT lead to finding Osama bin Laden

Stop claiming to be a devout Christian, and I'll stop pointing out your hypocrisy. Deal?

If you are really so concerned about your immortal soal, and the soul of your fellow man, the "we are at war" bullshit wouldn't fly. The temporal concerns about revenge against a worldly enemy should pale in comparison to the everlasting battle against evil, even when said evil drapes itself in the American flag. You're not a Christian. You espouse none of the teachings of Jesus Christ except John 3:16. The rest of it doesn't fit with your ultra-conservative moral worldview, so you toss it.

I'll stop pointing that out when you either change your attitute, or stop preaching about something you don't believe in.

- Dan G

So, you are saying there times when it is torture and there are times it is not?

Talk about illogical

I don't see him saying that at all. It is torture either way so I guess you can say that yes we do torture our own. We are doing it to teach them how to resist it when bad people do it to them. There is also the fact that they volunteer for that position in special ops and that is part of the training. They have the option to drop out if they don't like it. The people that we are doing it to for real didn't make that choice and don't have that option.

I also know that both the military (certain branches) and other organizations often require that before someone is allowed to carry pepper spray they must submit to being sprayed with it. That is a requirement for the job that they chose (albeit a dumb one in my book). It doesn't mean that the military can walk around and spray anyone they want with pepper spray on a whim.
Time flies like an arrow....fruit flies like a banana

So, you are saying there times when it is torture and there are times it is not?

Although this has been explained countless time, I'll put it down one more time for the record.

Waterboarding is torture not only because of the pain it causes, but because the victim really believes that they are about to drown. It's not torture in SERE school because the soldiers know that they are safe from lasting bodily harm.

I fully realize that you are incapable of understanding that very simple distinction, but I write in down again because reasonable people may be reading this.

- Dan G

Stop claiming to be a devout Christian, and I'll stop pointing out your hypocrisy. Deal?

If you are really so concerned about your immortal soal, and the soul of your fellow man, the "we are at war" bullshit wouldn't fly. The temporal concerns about revenge against a worldly enemy should pale in comparison to the everlasting battle against evil, even when said evil drapes itself in the American flag. You're not a Christian. You espouse none of the teachings of Jesus Christ except John 3:16. The rest of it doesn't fit with your ultra-conservative moral worldview, so you toss it.

I'll stop pointing that out when you either change your attitute, or stop preaching about something you don't believe in.

As a Christian I am not responsible for the actions of others, the USG, or you. I am responsible for how I treat others 1:1. That is far different from the realities of a world in war.

The problem you, and other non-believers, have is that you cannot grasp the subtleties of faith, beliefs and actions. Study the life of Peter. He is probably the best example. And believe me, he was a Christian and he is with Jesus.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

You may wish to learn a bit more about how this is used

There is no attempt to gain info during this process. It is not the point

Huh? I may wish to learn how what is used -- waterboarding? And if the purpose isn't to gain information, then WTF is it for?

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

[reply

Can we assume you're taking the "Waterboarding is not torture" stance ?

You dont have to assume, I will verify that
Unless you think we torture all of our SEALS I find it kind of hard to argue about

Foolishness. The SEALs KNOW they aren't going to be killed and that medical professionals are standing by to revive them should things get out of hand. Real subjects of water boarding have no such assurances.

The SEALs are training to deal with the physical aspects and pieces of the mental aspect. Not to mention they generally have excellent resistance to the feeling of drowning anyway as a result of their extensive water training.

This entire line of reasoning of yours is simply nonsense.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Although this has been explained countless time, I'll put it down one more time for the record.

Waterboarding is torture not only because of the pain it causes, but because the victim really believes that they are about to drown. It's not torture in SERE school because the soldiers know that they are safe from lasting bodily harm.

I fully realize that you are incapable of understanding that very simple distinction, but I write in down again because reasonable people may be reading this.

I understand very well thank you

You just happen to be wrong
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

The problem you, and other non-believers, have is that you cannot grasp the subtleties of faith, beliefs and actions.

And the problem that you, and other pseudo-believers, have is that you want to pick and choose the teachings that fit your worldview. The Golden Rule is inconvenient, so you ignore it. Love thy neighbor is repulsive when your neighbor is gay or a Muslim, so you ignore it. Walk the walk, or stop talking the talk. There's nothing subtle about that at all.

- Dan G

[reply

Can we assume you're taking the "Waterboarding is not torture" stance ?

You dont have to assume, I will verify that
Unless you think we torture all of our SEALS I find it kind of hard to argue about

Foolishness. The SEALs KNOW they aren't going to be killed and that medical professionals are standing by to revive them should things get out of hand. Real subjects of water boarding have no such assurances.

The SEALs are training to deal with the physical aspects and pieces of the mental aspect. Not to mention they generally have excellent resistance to the feeling of drowning anyway as a result of their extensive water training.

This entire line of reasoning of yours is simply nonsense.

:D

Your double standard is pissing on your shoe:D
Abraham Lincoln

You may wish to learn a bit more about how this is used

There is no attempt to gain info during this process. It is not the point

Huh? I may wish to learn how what is used -- waterboarding? And if the purpose isn't to gain information, then WTF is it for?

Wendy P.

As I said

you have no idea what you are talking about

We do not even attempt to get info during a waterboarding session.
Abraham Lincoln

Then why do you waterboard?

And how do you know so much?

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Well reasoned reply, as always.

Can you explain why I am wrong?

It is very black and white

Either it is torture, or it is not

The situation can not change that

But you are like John Kerry I guess

You will vote for something before you will vote against it:D

PS. I do not believe we would torture our own during a training
Abraham Lincoln

And if the purpose isn't to gain information, then WTF is it for?

Wendy P.

the purpose isn't to get information but to get the person you are torturing to confess to what you are telling them to confess to...

(i'm not a witch - yes you are. stop burning me - when you confess you are a witch)
stay away from moving propellers - they bite
blue skies from thai sky adventures
good solid response-provoking keyboarding

Then why do you waterboard?

And how do you know so much?

Wendy P.

Actually there was a very interesting interview I listened to who explained that those who do the questioning know that actionable info will really never be gained during the process. The questions asked are those the interrogators know the answer too

What they are after is cooperation.

He went on to explain that different cultures view being broken differently culture to culture.

In this case they are asked to hold out as long as they can, but once they give in, they are forgiven. Since they (in this case Muslims) know this, once they give in, they talk much more freely. He stated we are still getting new info today

He stated they need to learn the cultures of those they deal with to know how to bet use enhanced interrogation techs.

I am waiting for a book on this

Should be very interesting

In any event

I don’t think we really know what we think we know
This guy threw a whole new perspective on the tactic
Abraham Lincoln

I could agree with you, and then we'd both be wrong.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

So a boxer punching another boxer in the face during a bout is assault and battery?

If the situation can't change the nature of an action, I guess you'll have to agree that it is.

I can do this too

If we put bamboo under an enemies finger nails it is torture, but if it is in training it is not?

You see, your example does not work because the premise you debate from is false

Waterboarding, while very unpleasant, is not torture. If it was, we would not do it to our own
Abraham Lincoln

I could agree with you, and then we'd both be wrong.

In either case however, YOU would still be the professional
Abraham Lincoln

McCain is just as invested in having none of the information having come from torture, as Cheney is invested in having it come from torture.

And given how old any torture-generated information is, it'd be a little bit like trying to figure out which person a particular molecule of pee in the swimming pool came from.

Wendy P.

Nail on head!
Life is all about ass....either you're kicking it, kissing it, working it off, or trying to get a piece of it.
Muff Brother #4382 Dudeist Skydiver #000
www.fundraiseadventure.com

those who do the questioning know that actionable info will really never be gained during the process. The questions asked are those the interrogators know the answer too

like, we know you're a witch - now cooperate and confess...

If we put bamboo under an enemies finger nails it is torture, but if it is in training it is not?

Um no, it's not. It's training. If the soldier signed up for it and knows that he can quit at any time, it is not torture.

My analogy stands. You have no reply because you know that the context of an action matters. To claim otherwise is completely ridiculous.

- Dan G

those who do the questioning know that actionable info will really never be gained during the process. The questions asked are those the interrogators know the answer too

Is this what alternet told you?
Abraham Lincoln

Um no, it's not. It's training. If the soldier signed up for it and knows that he can quit at any time, it is not torture.

My analogy stands. You have no reply because you know that the context of an action matters. To claim otherwise is completely ridiculous.

No, your analogy is a pile of monkey shit

I replied very well thank you

You just cant handle the answer given to you
Abraham Lincoln

Is this what alternet told you?

even the most stupid can work out waterboarding is torture...