stevebabin

The Church Vs. Science

Death to homosexuals is one good instance.

Some day, some way, I hope and pray that you and others learn the difference between Old Testament Law and New Testament Grace.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

Some day, some way, I hope and pray that you and others learn the difference between Old Testament Law and New Testament Grace.

Question: Then why even care about the Old Testament? If the God of the Old Testament is made irrelevant because of the New Testament, then why cling to ANY of it?
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Question: Then why even care about the Old Testament? If the God of the Old Testament is made irrelevant because of the New Testament, then why cling to ANY of it?

It is the same God. The OT lays the historical foundation of law and the need for grace. Jesus Christ's death establishes the atonement for sin and allows God's grace for all who accept it, including homosexuals. thieves, murderers, adulterers, blasphemers, and so on.

The need for a priest to enter the holy of holies and offer sacrifice has been abrogated.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

It is the same God. The OT lays the historical foundation of law and the need for grace. Jesus Christ's death establishes the atonement for sin and allows God's grace for all who accept it, including homosexuals. thieves, murderers, adulterers, blasphemers, and so on.

The need for a priest to enter the holy of holies and offer sacrifice has been abrogated.

Ok, so then why are so many Christians against gay marriage or any one of a number of other "sins"? Isn't all of that God's purview?
quade -

Hmmmmmm....How can one miss a point when one is making a point?

When the point you're making is predicated on an erroneous interpretation of a previous message and is therefore invalid.

*WHOOOSH*
History repeats itself.
OK, jakee...have it your way.
I should have played the ball and not the player.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Where in the OT does it say that Jesus would come and be crucified and live again? The OT speaks of one who would overturn the present political system and restore Israel to all of it's glory. Jesus never did that.

The early Christians tried and failed to establish that a few of the OT writings could explained Jesus, that's why the vast majority of Jews failed to believe he was the person what they were expecting. which was a great king or warrior who could restore Israel to what God had promised them. Jesus struck out.

Ok, so then why are so many Christians against gay marriage or any one of a number of other "sins"? Isn't all of that God's purview?

Is this the rabbit hole part? Sin is sin. Jesus delivers and forgives sin to allow worship with God. Being against homosexual marriage is not the same as "death to homosexuals."

"No man comes to the Father except by Me." That is a paraphrase of gospel Scripture.

It is the individual sinner's responsibility to accept Jesus. Homosexuals can be forgiven the same as any sinner, if they chose to.

Homosexual marriage is rebellion against what is natural. It has always been recognized as perversion by some and sought after by others. It is a choice, as with all sin which benefits flesh and not spirit.

I know that you know that. So, "ask Alice." ;):D

Where in the OT does it say that Jesus would come and be crucified and live again? The OT speaks of one who would overturn the present political system and restore Israel to all of it's glory. Jesus never did that.

The early Christians tried and failed to establish that a few of the OT writings could explained Jesus, that's why the vast majority of Jews failed to believe he was the person what they were expecting. which was a great king or warrior who could restore Israel to what God had promised them. Jesus struck out.

OT, Jesus is concealed; NT, Jesus is revealed.

Death on the cross and the resurrection, that is the focus and substance of the NT.

I know that you knew that.

You mean "non-exsistant" and "sort of about."
quade -

You mean "non-exsistant" and "sort of about."

Nope, and, I know you know that also.

Interesting that you would delve in this area of theology since you don't accept any of it. Had the Jews accepted the Wisdom God offered them instead of the chains of their religion, they may have recognized Jesus for who He is, the Messiah. Their religion blinded them with rage and they crucified Him. God allowed this evil to be used for good.

Interesting that you would delve in this area of theology since you don't accept any of it. Had the Jews accepted the Wisdom God offered them instead of the chains of their religion, they may have recognized Jesus for who He is, the Messiah. Their religion blinded them with rage and they crucified Him. God allowed this evil to be used for good.

Bite me.

Cousin Jesus was killed by Romans. He was an observant Jew, whose legacy was usurped by Roman Pagan ringers.

The bulk of the difference between Christianity and Messianic Judaism is the overlay of Pagan ideology.

Everything you think you know is wrong.

haha! You don"t get it. Pontius was "roman jew" and was needed to sellout the romans and jews as a means of having us all fall under the grace of his noodly appendage! Your backwords thinking will never allow you the grace that is his saucy love. I can not explain it to you but once you open your heart; the spice your heart desires will be absolved.

Dude, that's not 'my way' - that's what you should be doing anyway.

Thank you O Great Wise One.
Wear your beanie with pride.
Have it your way.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Had the Jews accepted the Wisdom God offered them instead of the chains of their religion, they may have recognized Jesus for who He is, the Messiah. Their religion blinded them with rage and they crucified Him. God allowed this evil to be used for good.

Quick question: Where did the Jewish religion come from?
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

Dude, that's not 'my way' - that's what you should be doing anyway.

Thank you O Great Wise One.
Wear your beanie with pride.
Have it your way.

:D
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

So why did this OMNISCIENT, OMNIPOTENT and OMNIPRESENT god of yours suddenly undergo a major personality change some 2,000 years ago? Mid-life crisis? Godopause?

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

So why did this OMNISCIENT, OMNIPOTENT and OMNIPRESENT god of yours suddenly undergo a major personality change some 2,000 years ago? Mid-life crisis? Godopause?

He did not change. He followed His plan.

Lamest of the lame excuses.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Lamest of the lame excuses.

Kallend, I do not, nor do I have to, make excuses for God the Father, Jesus the Son or the Holy Spirit. I accept Him in three Persons.

I know that you know that. Why do you make comments at that level?

I am more concerned with the proper handling of scripture

problem is that YOUR version of the proper handling of scripture is far different that everyone else's.

If I personally feel that I'm handling scripture in a questionable manner against my principles, I have a responsibility to stop.

There's no question that others have differing views on various parts of scripture, but just as with any other area of life, they should be able to build an argument to support any claim they make.

Some arguments are simple and sincere, while others are superficial and self serving. I've found the strongest arguments come from sincere individuals that excercise due dilligence. Their arguments tend to show and understanding of hemeneutical concepts and typically embrace the cultural, historical and circumstantial context of a given time period and generally include an etymological backgroud for any significant terms found in the selected scripture references.

You shouldn't feel like you have to take anybody at their word. If you want to understand, the necessary tools are available. It is your own responsibility to examine each argument and decide for yourself which is the strongest or provide your own insight and see how it measures up.

I've found it best to accept an argument based on it's scriptural merit rather than ones that simply "tickles your ears."
Your secrets are the true reflection of who you really are...

I do consider humility a worthy ambition.

This reminds me of the book Humility: True Greatness by C.J Mahaney. In it he says:

"Writing about humility is a humbling experience. Who wants to volunteer to write onthis subject? Not me...I could entertain you for hours relating the comments and facial expressions of those who discovered I was authoring a work with this title.

I understand their reaction. If I met someone presuming to have something to say about humility, automatically I’d think him unqualified to speak on the subject.

So let me make this clear at the outset: I’m a proud man pursuing humility by the grace of God. I don’t write as an authority on humility; I write as a fellow pilgrim walking with you on the path set for us by our humble Savior."

Where in the OT does it say that Jesus would come and be crucified and live again?

Psalm 22 6-8
But I am a worm and not a man,
scorned by everyone, despised by the people.
All who see me mock me;
they hurl insults, shaking their heads.
“He trusts in the LORD,” they say,
“let the LORD rescue him.
Let him deliver him,
since he delights in him.”

Psalm 22 16-18:
Dogs surround me,
a pack of villains encircles me;
they pierce my hands and my feet.
All my bones are on display;
people stare and gloat over me.
They divide my clothes among them
and cast lots for my garment.

Isaiah 53:11-12:
After he has suffered,
he will see the light of life and be satisfied;
by his knowledge my righteous servant will justify many,
and he will bear their iniquities.
Therefore I will give him a portion among the great,
and he will divide the spoils with the strong,
because he poured out his life unto death,
and was numbered with the transgressors.
For he bore the sin of many,
and made intercession for the transgressors.

The OT speaks of one who would overturn the present political system and restore Israel to all of it's glory.

The OT speaks of both the restoration of Israel and the crucifixion, but the Jews had a had time understanding how a crucified Messiah was to restore Israel.

That's why Jesus kept saying in Mt 21:42 and Mk 12:10 haven't you read scripture, haven't you read?

Then he quotes Psalm 118:22:
"The stone which the builders rejected Has become the chief corner stone."

Even the Apostles didn't understand what Jesus meant when he said he had to die.

They acknowledged He was the Messiah but they seemed to be preoccupied with trivial matters and often bickered about who was gonna be the greatest and sit at the right hand of the Messiah after he overthrew the Romans. That's why Peter flips out when Jesus says he will be crucified:

Matthew 16:21-23:
"From that time Jesus began to show His disciples that He must go to Jerusalem, and suffer many things from the elders and chief priests and scribes, and be killed, and be raised up on the third day.

Peter took Him aside and began to rebuke Him, saying, "God forbid it, Lord! This shall never happen to You."

But He turned and said to Peter, "Get behind Me, Satan! You are a stumbling block to Me; for you are not setting your mind on God's interests, but man's."

Quick question: Where did the Jewish religion come from?

From the religious leaders who created it for their own power and benefit. God gave them the Truth, they corrupted it into a religion. Jesus addressed this when he told the scribes and Pharisees about the damage they were causing with their religious activities.
Matt 23:23-39