Is/Was there a nuclear disaster in Japan?

I don't see why this is a poll. How does the opinion of anyone here affect whether or not there's been a nuclear disaster?

Sorry to have interrupted your important work..

"Once we got to the point where twenty/something's needed a place on the corner that changed the oil in their cars we were doomed . . ."
-NickDG

Are you asking if there was a disaster, the media made what happened into a disaster, or was there some nanothermite in the buildings that blew up.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Are you asking if there was a disaster, the media made what happened into a disaster, or was there some nanothermite in the buildings that blew up.

Yes. My opinon is that there was some concern early on, but the media is making a bigger deal out of it than what's really happening. Compare Fox to IAEA.

"Once we got to the point where twenty/something's needed a place on the corner that changed the oil in their cars we were doomed . . ."
-NickDG

Carried in by super secret stealthy ninja rabbits no doubt.
HAMMER:
Originally employed as a weapon of war, the hammer nowadays is used as a
kind of divining rod to locate the most expensive parts adjacent the
object we are trying to hit.

Yes. My opinon is that there was some concern early on, but the media is making a bigger deal out of it than what's really happening. Compare Fox to IAEA.

That only works if I thought IAEA was a totally credible source.
Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/03/14/japan-quake-rods-idUSTKB00733720110314

Well, seeing how dumping raw sea water into a reactor to cool it has been described as something akin to a "hail mary pass" in the nuclear world, things aren't looking up. I still think that it is a viable energy source for our future, though.

Am I the only one who wishes Bush Jr. was still around the media a lot so I could hear him describe the "newkler" accident? B|
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

If it does ...what immediate & long term affects will it cause worldwide ?

I understand wind patterns carry, but are we potentially looking at dire straits ?

Really, I know nothing about how nuclear meltdown, nor radiation respond once it hits air surface :|

If it does ...what immediate & long term affects will it cause worldwide ?

I understand wind patterns carry, but are we potentially looking at dire straits ?

Really, I know nothing about how nuclear meltdown, nor radiation respond once it hits air surface :|

Living outside of Japan, the long term effects will be very slight in terms of health and ecology if there is a full-on full-leakage meltdown. Even then, both of the reactors in question are built with more protection than Chernobyl or even Three Mile Island.

The more important disaster potential on the global scale are the economies in play. Japan is one of the largest oil consumers in the world. They are also a major manufacturing center. Their economy was already teetering on the edge of a hard fall, as is most of the western world. These are the sorts of events that historically have precipitated a significant decline in regional/global economies. Those declines have precipitated literally every major global event war over the past 200 years.

So the immediate knee-jerk reaction to a nuclear accident that the mass media is hyping really isn't the end game. It is another link in a chain pulling us towards a yet another repeated history that we as a society had sworn to stave off after each instance.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Please don't tell me that you think that Fox is a more credible source of information & news on nuclear power than the IAEA. They blatantly try and incite panic with the title of that article, trying to somehow link the soaring death toll due to the earthquake and tsunami to the problems at the nuclear plant.

While I don't think this is a non-issue, there is no way this is or will be anything like Chernobyl unless something goes terribly wrong.

No where in any of the IAEA updates does it say that any of the unit's containment vessels have been breached. The main reasons that Chernobyl was such a large disaster was that the explosion was enough to knock the top completely off allowing direct venting of the nuclear material into the atmosphere.

Accident? Yes. Disaster? No.

Please don't tell me that you think that Fox is a more credible source of information & news on nuclear power than the IAEA. They blatantly try and incite panic with the title of that article, trying to somehow link the soaring death toll due to the earthquake and tsunami to the problems at the nuclear plant.

While I don't think this is a non-issue, there is no way this is or will be anything like Chernobyl unless something goes terribly wrong.

No where in any of the IAEA updates does it say that any of the unit's containment vessels have been breached. The main reasons that Chernobyl was such a large disaster was that the explosion was enough to knock the top completely off allowing direct venting of the nuclear material into the atmosphere.

Right now the IAEA is getting it's info from the Japanese government. They have no real info of their own.

Destinations by Roxanne

Right now the IAEA is getting it's info from the Japanese government. They have no real info of their own.

Neither does Fox, but they turn to shitty journalism in an effort to induce panic and caste doubt on nuclear energy.

Carried in by super secret stealthy ninja rabbits no doubt.

Bunnies aren't just cute like everybody supposes
They go these hoppy legs and twitchy little noses
...and what's with all the carrots
what do they need such good eyesight for anyway?

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Neither does Fox, but they turn to shitty journalism in an effort to induce panic and caste doubt on nuclear energy.

I think the jury is still out on that statement. Time will tell.

Destinations by Roxanne

I don't see why this is a poll. How does the opinion of anyone here affect whether or not there's been a nuclear disaster?

Sorry to have interrupted your important work..

Apology accepted...

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Disaster? Dunno yet, lets see how it plays out.

Serious incident? Yes, definately - two reactor buildings have blown up ffs. Something along the lines of 3 Mile Island, for example. Where it goes from here, only time will tell.

The hullabaloo about TMI was similarly blown out of proportion. For example, this accident last year, was more deadly than TMI by 5, so why didn't it get a cute name and it's only special place in public perception?

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

I'm starting to think that IAEA is NOT a good info source. This morning they were saying that the reactor status was "cold shtudown." By "cold" they may mean that the reacor is not generating power, but the reactors are clearly in pretty big trouble if news accounts of melting fuel are correct.

-NickDG