riddler

Weapon safety quiz

You are snooping through your ex's things when he's not in the house. You find something that looks like a gun, but made of plastic. It may be a child's toy, but you're not sure. There is a warning label on the side of it, but you don't want to bother reading it.

What do you do?

Extra credit for creative answers.
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

Aren't you glad she's an ex? And if she's an ex, WTF is she doing in your house?

It might have been interesting if the ex decided to spray it on their nether regions, in the interest of seeing if it's either jock rot cure or vaginal deodorant.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

sounds like a Taser to me. when directed towards somebody and a trigger is pulled , it probably shoots two very thin wires with electrodes into the person, and delivers a huge electrical current. Hurts like a bitch, and is lethal in special circumstances. better put it onto a very high shelf.
regards
Prada

haha--- PS: I didn't read the poll answers first, should do that next time. But I clicked 'Put in a safe place' anyway, and really wonder why someone is so stupid to dust himself with pepper spray

lethal in special circumstances

Huh? How so?

Funny stuff though. Wendy does has a good question, why is your ex at your house when you're not there?

Obviously she was there to pepper-spray herself and puke on his carpet.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

...and that carpet really tied the room together...

:D

OK, several of you have asked questions, so I would like to clarify question 1:

1. On the opposite side from the warning label, the item is clearly marked as pepper spray. On the warning label itself, a list of active ingredients, along with a first aid response is printed in Helvetica, 8-point font, with bold typeface to highlight important points.

2. There is a safety tab that needed to be pushed out of the way to enable the trigger pull. The safety requires approximately the same energy to disable as it would take to read both sides of the item three times.

3. Bleach will not remove the red stain from the wall, which is plaster and will need to be resurfaced and repainted.

4. In a random survey of one four-year old girl (my own), she answered this quiz correctly, but that may just be a good guess, because three out of the four answers will qualify as correct.

That should be enough information to answer the quiz for full credit.
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

Please don't tell your ex that we're laughing at her!
I keep pepper-spray in the house, and she knows who I am and what I look like.
I'm afraid she might retaliate by sneaking into my house when I'm not home to pepper-spray herself.
:D:D:D

"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

If anything, after laughing about this thread, I'm glad to see that OC spray actually worked on someone. The times I used it, all it did was make it where I had to drive with the car windows down for a while. It never stopped anyone, I still had to fight and it got all over me while fighting.

It seems it is only useful against dogs and not large pitbulls, it only pisses them off.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Hi

in 2007 a Polish citizen was tasered to death by Canadian police in the aiport in Vancouver.

That is the most well known incident.

more info under
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taser_safety_issues#Deaths_and_injuries_related_to_Taser_use

I guess, it involves several silly co-incidents, such as a heart condition or other health issues, or the cop 'over-dosing' on the electricity...

anyway, it is not only and 100% safe, but can be lethal under certain circumstances.

best
Prada

If anything, after laughing about this thread, I'm glad to see that OC spray actually worked on someone. The times I used it, all it did was make it where I had to drive with the car windows down for a while. It never stopped anyone, I still had to fight and it got all over me while fighting.

It seems it is only useful against dogs and not large pitbulls, it only pisses them off.

Interesting. I know they use pepper spray or a variation of it to ward off bear attacks. Although as I understand it dogs have a much more sensitive nose than people and bears are even more sensitive.

So from your experience is pepper spray not a good idea as self defense for the average unarmed citizen? Are you just going to aggravate your attacker? I am going to guess that since you are using it and still trying to apprehend the sprayee as apposed to running away from the sprayee it is two completely different circumstances.

...and that carpet really tied the room together...

:D

OK, several of you have asked questions, so I would like to clarify question 1:

1. On the opposite side from the warning label, the item is clearly marked as pepper spray. On the warning label itself, a list of active ingredients, along with a first aid response is printed in Helvetica, 8-point font, with bold typeface to highlight important points.

2. There is a safety tab that needed to be pushed out of the way to enable the trigger pull. The safety requires approximately the same energy to disable as it would take to read both sides of the item three times.

3. Bleach will not remove the red stain from the wall, which is plaster and will need to be resurfaced and repainted.

4. In a random survey of one four-year old girl (my own), she answered this quiz correctly, but that may just be a good guess, because three out of the four answers will qualify as correct.

That should be enough information to answer the quiz for full credit.

You should post a picture of the spray container - and the warning labels.

Or - in lieu of that - post the make and model. Please.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama

And in addition to Turtle's request, please install security cameras in your house so we can enjoy the video next time.:D

"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

And in addition to Turtle's request, please install security cameras in your house so we can enjoy the video next time.:D

Web based security please.

Interesting. I know they use pepper spray or a variation of it to ward off bear attacks. Although as I understand it dogs have a much more sensitive nose than people and bears are even more sensitive.

So from your experience is pepper spray not a good idea as self defense for the average unarmed citizen? Are you just going to aggravate your attacker? I am going to guess that since you are using it and still trying to apprehend the sprayee as apposed to running away from the sprayee it is two completely different circumstances.

Did you hear about the man eating grizzle in the area? They are tracking him by his scat, it smells like pepper spray and has little bells in it.

Anyways, I'm not a fan of OC or mace for self defense. People would be better off learning situational awareness and taking some solid self defense classes. Something that gives them the ability to defend and disengage. The preferred method is to avoid the confrontation in the first place with good choices and good situational awareness. Those who would prey on the innocent can tell with someone is "switched on" and will typically avoid those persons to look for more sheep to attack. Not always, but many times over. Awareness won't keep you out of every event, so some training and physical fitness helps bridge that gap.

OC, knives, guns, goofy martial arts key chains, ninja swords, throwing stars or even the fire and forget civilian tasers are great, but are only tools to supplement the foundation of preparedness.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."