dreamdancer

Why It's Not a 'Safe Bet' to Believe In God

Not in my experience. My belief came suddenly and completely.

but your culture's religion is christianity - why not a sudden belief in allah?

I had spent about 10 years studying and practicing Eckankar and the Teachings of Don Juan by Carlos Castaneda. Why not Sri Paul Twitchell, Sri Darwin Gross or Castaneda? Maybe because they are false teachers.

The Holy Spirit spoke to me and directed me to Jesus Christ.

That is my truthful testimony. I am not able to debate it because that is what happened.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

Jesus knew he was born to die as the ultimate sacrifice for man's sin. His blood would cover all for all time.

Funny how the most sophisticated, non-corporeal being in the universe shares stone-age man's primal need for blood sacrifice.

As if bodily fluids actually have any connection with morality or 'spirituality'.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

I had spent about 10 years studying and practicing Eckankar and the Teachings of Don Juan by Carlos Castaneda. Why not Sri Paul Twitchell, Sri Darwin Gross or Castaneda? Maybe because they are false teachers.

Well that is the point, isn't it?

Not exactly a surprise that your hallucination took the form of the particular religion that saturates the culture you have lived every day of your life in.

Well, let's see now.

If our gooberment was being run by the religious as deeply as you make it out then I don't understand why they are out there protesting, lobbying and marching for things they want and don't have.

By the same token,
If our gooberment was being run by the non-religious as deeply as you make it out then I don't understand why they are out there protesting, lobbying and marching for things they want and don't have.

Seems to me that gooberment ignores the wants of both sides of the issue at one time or other.

From my viewpoint, not much about gooberment makes much sense at all unless you take greed, payola and self-enrichment into account and none of that has anything to do with religious beliefs or lack thereof.

Maybe it would be more productive to hammer the goobers for their acts instead of what they believe in.

If you want to eliminate the reference to God out of you recitation of the Pledge of Allegiance, then by all means do so. Just that simple. What's the point of arguing that it's there?
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

the particular religion that saturates the culture you have lived every day of your life in.

Bottom line, it works for me and others.

I have no desire to take you off the rode you are on. I suggest you put your head down, shift to high gear and put the pedal to the metal.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

As for freedom from religion, so you're disagreeing with that statement then? (I see no other reason to ask for citation)

I'm asking for a cite that proves your point that "it's supposed to be freedom from religion".

Good to know, now you can't complain when Muslims build their churches in your back yard or put up giant billboards promoting Islam.

Not in my back yard, no - they don't have permission. On land they've purchased, sure thing. Conversely, it means that the Christians can put up all the churches and billboards THEY want, too, and you can't say jack about it.

By 'supposed to be', I wasn't referencing any human rights, I was simply stating what makes some sense.

Except it doesn't - you see, the 'freedom from religion' argument goes against the First Amendment 'freedom of religion'.

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion" - the Founders *left* the Church of England, they had no interest in establishing a Church of the United States.

"or prohibiting the free exercise thereof" - means the Methodists as well as the Muslims can build churches and buy billboards.

Though it appears you support the idea of religion being shoved down your throat.

Lame veiled ad-hom - surely you can do better than that.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

... hallucination

Nice Jakee...real nice.
*shaking head*

All's well and good until you wake up dead.

You might look around you and see...

Total darkness and think:
- There's nothing. The atheists were right.
- This must be Purgatory. The Catholics were right.

Fire and brimstone and think:
- Dang! The Baptists were right!

A pile of dung and think:
- Dang! I came back as a dung beetle; I'm being paid back for all the shit I gave people. The Hindus were right.

God on a throne and think:
- WoooHooo! Hey! There's Jesus, too! The Christians were right!

An alien being and think:
- Dang. Nobody was right.

I'm asking for a cite that proves your point that "it's supposed to be freedom from religion".

I wasn't aware that you felt the need for the government to dictate what should or shouldn't be. The request for citation makes absolutely no sense in the context I used that. Your third paragraph also makes your first one null as you seem to understand that I don't mean 'supposed to' in a sense of what government dictates as what one is supposed to do.

Not in my back yard, no - they don't have permission. On land they've purchased, sure thing. Conversely, it means that the Christians can put up all the churches and billboards THEY want, too, and you can't say jack about it.

Wow, you really missed the thought process on that one eh? :S

You realize that I'm arguing for the idea that religion SHOULDN'T be shoved down your throat (freedom from religion) and think no religion should be allowed billboard advertising space. So what you actually mean to say surely, is that I must complain about both Islam and Christianity if they put up billboards?

And for what it's worth, I know at least here- Christian billboards line the highways in Johannesburg. Yet there was an an Atheist one, but it got removed. Because that's the way thinking is from most Christians, they may spread the word of God, but how dare someone express their desire to bring people away from God. I'd be against atheist and Christian billboards if that were an option, but since the Christians do it, it's only natural that they be opposed in similar means. It's a pity though that atheists don't hand out all their money to the churches though, so sadly it's tough to fund.

Lame veiled ad-hom - surely you can do better than that.

Hahaha, hardly. It was the conclusion so easily drawn from your posts. And hardly in any way an attack. As much as stating 'you don't like things being shoved down your throat' to me would be an attack.

I wasn't aware that you felt the need for the government to dictate what should or shouldn't be. The request for citation makes absolutely no sense in the context I used that. Your third paragraph also makes your first one null as you seem to understand that I don't mean 'supposed to' in a sense of what government dictates as what one is supposed to do.

Then perhaps you shouldn't quote government documents to make your point, if you don't want people to ask where you got the follow-up idea.

Wow, you really missed the thought process on that one eh? :S

You realize that I'm arguing for the idea that religion SHOULDN'T be shoved down your throat (freedom from religion) and think no religion should be allowed billboard advertising space.

The problem is one of scope - you see ANY mention of religion as being 'shoved down your throat'.

So what you actually mean to say surely, is that I must complain about both Islam and Christianity if they put up billboards?

If you wish your argument to be valid and not hypocritical tripe, yes.

And for what it's worth, I know at least here- Christian billboards line the highways in Johannesburg. Yet there was an an Atheist one, but it got removed. Because that's the way thinking is from most Christians, they may spread the word of God, but how dare someone express their desire to bring people away from God. I'd be against atheist and Christian billboards if that were an option, but since the Christians do it, it's only natural that they be opposed in similar means. It's a pity though that atheists don't hand out all their money to the churches though, so sadly it's tough to fund.

Yet, oddly, you only speak out against the Christian billboards, while giving the equally "in your face" atheist billboards a pass.

So, why is it ok to have atheism shoved down peoples throats but not religion?
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

In Reply To

Yet, oddly, you only speak out against the Christian billboards, while giving the equally "in your face" atheist billboards a pass.

huh? He said he would be against atheist billboards IF they were allowed...
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

In Reply To

huh? He said he would be against atheist billboards IF they were allowed...

Not the billboards specifically, but religion/atheism in general.
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Not exactly a surprise that your hallucination took the form of the particular religion that saturates the culture you have lived every day of your life in.

Your point is about as effective as saying that Christianity is totally legit because there are Christians living in Mecca...

btw, stop ending sentences with prepostions, especially when they aren't needed...it's very annoying and unbecoming of you:P
Your secrets are the true reflection of who you really are...

... hallucination

Nice Jakee...real nice.
*shaking head*

What would you call it?

Exhibit A) Ron used to do a lot of drugs.

Exhibit B) Ron describes actually, literally, hearing the voice of God speak to him.

If it's not an auditory hallucination then what on earth is it?

Christianity is passed from parenting or through social pressures and not through a sudden enlightenment...

I had a sudden belief in buhdda, and then a sudden belief in no God, but I could only lie to myself for so long.

and your next sudden belief will be...

mayflies?
stay away from moving propellers - they bite
blue skies from thai sky adventures
good solid response-provoking keyboarding

that's what you may believe happened....

but that's not what actually happened as there is no holy spirit - just voices in your head. your next belief will be?

your next belief will be?

That you should put your head down in high gear and accelerate. The hell bound train is no fun if you're going slow.

That you should put your head down in high gear and accelerate. The hell bound train is no fun if you're going slow.

I find it amazing that people can tell you what you feel and what you experience . . . from a whole other quadrant of the globe.

Next he will tell you exactly how much you love your dog and your mother and argue with you about that too.

He must be as clarivoyant as Kallend.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

I find it amazing that people can tell you what you feel and what you experience . . . from a whole other quadrant of the globe.

Next he will tell you exactly how much you love your dog and your mother and argue with you about that too.

He must be as clarivoyant as Kallend.

:D:D:D

Thanks, I needed that.

... hallucination

Nice Jakee...real nice.
*shaking head*

What would you call it?

Exhibit A) Ron used to do a lot of drugs.

Exhibit B) Ron describes actually, literally, hearing the voice of God speak to him.

If it's not an auditory hallucination then what on earth is it?

For your edumacation:
Metaphor is the concept of understanding one thing in terms of another. A metaphor is a figure of speech that constructs an analogy between two things.

You obviously think when someone mentions "spoke with God" that there must be some auditory transference of information. That's not Ron's meaning, I'm sure.
But, maybe, if he thinks your comment is worth a response, he let us both know exactly what is what.

Why are some of the self proclaimed atheists &/or agnostics...so hellbent & spiteful towards believers who are not bashful, nor intimidated to speak out about it ?

Following this thread has been fairly interesting.

Some of the comments are actually quite impressive regarding ranging spectrums across the topic !

I can not figure out why some are so full of condemnation, nor the purpose in the personal attacks !?

Having a difference of opinion or debating issues & beliefs is one thing...but rude off the wall, lowlife comments is disgusting !

Some respond as if they are in fear....kind of like me thinks you protest too much ! [:/]

Shame on the assholes...grow the hell up >:(

Christianity is passed from parenting or through social pressures and not through a sudden enlightenment...

I had a sudden belief in buhdda, and then a sudden belief in no God, but I could only lie to myself for so long.

and your next sudden belief will be...

mayflies?

No, that dark matter is YOUR God.

Dark matter:
an undetectable, invisible, omnipresent substance that is passing through us as we speak. We have absolutely no proof of it's exsistence but we believe it is there because it's the only thing that allows our bs equations to make any sense whatsoever...plus it's scientific.
Your secrets are the true reflection of who you really are...

now the threats eh?

Why are some of the self proclaimed atheists &/or agnostics...so hellbent & spiteful towards believers who are not bashful, nor intimidated to speak out about it ?

i've just done a very pleasant jump with a christian couple - no spite involved. they made it obvious they were believers but i didn't mention that i'm an atheist as i'm a nice guy and just keep that sort of thing to debating forums.

ps. there is no hell