Abedy

To me, God is...

Hi everybody,
I just read this article from the mailing list "A Word A Day" and thought I might share it. Not really to stir up emotions, just to think about or enjoy, whatever B|

Here it comes:
""God, to me, it seems, is a verb, not a noun, proper or improper," designer and architect R. Buckminster Fuller once said. And it makes sense. As long as we do our work honestly and not hurt others, what does it matter if we believe in some invisible superman in the sky, who happens to have such a fragile ego so as to condemn people for not believing in him, no matter how good they might be?

Do the best job I can, not hurt our fellow beings on this planet, that's my
religion."
The sky is not the limit. The ground is.

The Society of Skydiving Ducks

Hi everybody,
I just read this article from the mailing list "A Word A Day" and thought I might share it. Not really to stir up emotions, just to think about or enjoy, whatever B|

Here it comes:
""God, to me, it seems, is a verb, not a noun, proper or improper," designer and architect R. Buckminster Fuller once said. And it makes sense. As long as we do our work honestly and not hurt others, what does it matter if we believe in some invisible superman in the sky, who happens to have such a fragile ego so as to condemn people for not believing in him, no matter how good they might be?

Do the best job I can, not hurt our fellow beings on this planet, that's my
religion."

I have long since thought that religion is near pointless, think relationship.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

Christian writers have pointed out that it isn't God who is out to burn people. People basicallly create their own hell by themselves. Pope John Paul II said that Hell is simply an eternity in the absence of God. So according to Christian thought, Hell is the default condition you would slide into if you do not allow God into your life.
Speed Racer
--------------------------------------------------

Christian writers have pointed out that it isn't God who is out to burn people.

Except in the old testament. When he was, quite literally, out to burn people. And, uh, did. And in the new testament, where burning people is, at the very least, a strong metaphor for what he's going to do to them in hell.

But hey y'know, whatever, just pick the bits you like. I'm sure that'll be right.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

Havevyou read the writings of Pope John Paul II, or Teihard de Charcin,
or C. S. Lewis? Maybe there is something deeper in Christian philosophy than something that can be summed up in a short post on the internet.
Speed Racer
--------------------------------------------------

Except in the old testament. When he was, quite literally, out to burn people.

Like what Jack...for once could you read and provide examples to back up your statements?

Why should we always take your linguisticly UK superior word for it?

...and no, I'm not afraid of bible quotes.

...and seriously...read. Don't just go copying from your favorite atheistic website.:|

But hey y'know, whatever, just pick the bits you like. I'm sure that'll be right.

Ok jack...what if that were true? What if what you believe happens when you die?

(btw...I fckn' hate what if's...but humor me.:D)
Your secrets are the true reflection of who you really are...

I'm sorry, I though it was common enough knowledge that you wouldn't feel like you were having to trust my word.

But, in Genesis 19:24 you might find something like "Then the LORD rained down burning sulfur on Sodom and Gomorrah".

Don't just go copying from your favorite atheistic website.

What a pointless insult. Have you ever seen me do that before?

Play the game, son. Play the game.

What if what you believe happens when you die?

Then I'll be dead. Exactly the same thing that's actually going to happen.

Maybe there is something deeper in Christian philosophy than something that can be summed up in a short post on the internet.

Oh I'm sure it is much deeper. Rationalising a patently absurd, self contradictory and often unpleasant set of writings does tend to be complicated.

Ok jack...what if that were true? What if what you believe happens when you die?

Ooo ..... Ooo can I play?

What is going to happen is exactly the same as is going to happen to EVERY living thing....

Now .. I'm not too sure what that is (apart from Rot away) but NOTHING get's a free pass because they believe that some imaginary beardy bloke thinks that they've been good or heard you say sorry just before your last breath.

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

I'm sorry, I though it was common enough knowledge that you wouldn't feel like you were having to trust my word.

But, in Genesis 19:24 you might find something like "Then the LORD rained down burning sulfur on Sodom and Gomorrah".

Don't just go copying from your favorite atheistic website.

What if what you believe happens when you die?

Prove it!

. . . or at least the theory.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

NOTHING get's a free pass because they believe that some imaginary beardy bloke thinks that they've been good or heard you say sorry just before your last breath.

I don't know about free passes, but I get presents and he eats my cookies and milk.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Fine, was that so hard? Just want to make sure we're on the same page - literally.

But I think you'd have to admit that there is something horribly wrong with a city of men who'd rather rape two dudes in the arse than have their way with two desperate virgins.

These guys were really messed up. They wanted to rape those two men so badly that they wore themselves out groping for the door even as they were struck blind. They reminded me of zombies - wouldn't you love to just blast a bunch of zombies with fire?:D

There is something horribly wrong with a city when Lot and his daughters are considered "the good ones."

Sorry, just didn't want to see you finally resort to that.;)

:D

Boooooooring!

There is something horribly wrong with a city when Lot and his daughters are considered "the good ones."

So? Whether or not they deserved it is irrelevant to the conversation.

Boooooooring!

Not at all. You can't be bored when there is no you to be bored.

So? Whether or not they deserved it is irrelevant to the conversation.

You're the one who drifted the conversation in the first place - excuse me if I add to it.

The conversation was originally about hell. Maybe if people actually compared and contrasted the differences between Gehenna, Sheol, and Hades they'd have a better understanding of the literal and figurative concepts of hell and how they are to be applied accurately in ones life...Ignorance is not always bliss.

Sometimes I feel like I have more respect for athiests that just flat out deny the whole concept of God rather than those that have to make excuses and change the idea of God in order to bolster their own uncomfortable unbelief.

To me God is like a friend. I dont see him as some grand ruler that overpowers me. but rather someone I can confide in and give thanks. I don't go to church because its too political for me, but I believe in god and I think that if we saw god in his true form he could quite possibly look like an alien. But I see him as an equal not as the creator of all. This could have something to do with my name, but I believe in him...just not like everyone else does.

To me God is like a friend.

To me, I think the idea of the Trinity seems to be more accuarte.

The Son would represent the love and friendship/relationship of God.

The Spirit would represent the love and guidance of God.

The Father would represent the love and discipline of God who holds us accountable for our actions just like a loving father would. Ignorant children usually hate discpline and often rebel.

I don't go to church because its too political for me

Going to church certainly isn't necessary for spiritual life. The idea is to assemble and help edify those who believe. Politics shouldn't be involved. Perhaps you are a man that can change all that nonsense.

I believe in god and I think that if we saw god in his true form he could quite possibly look like an alien.

That's odd...I think we'd see ourselves for who we actually are and what we can actually acheive.

But I see him as an equal not as the creator of all.

IMO, that idea can be very dangerous.

Also, in my previous post I stated:
"Sometimes I feel like I have more respect for athiests that just flat out deny the whole concept of God rather than those that have to make excuses and change the idea of God in order to bolster their own uncomfortable unbelief."

I didn't initial recognize that "unbelief" and "disbelief" had two seperate meanings...you learn something new everyday, I guess.

Perhaps a better way of saying it would be:
"...those that have to make excuses and change the idea of God in order to satisfy their own discomfort and bolster disbelief."

To me God is like a friend.

To me, I think the idea of the Trinity seems to be more accuarte.

The Son would represent the love and friendship/relationship of God.

The Spirit would represent the love and guidance of God.

The Father would represent the love and discipline of God who holds us accountable for our actions just like a loving father would. Ignorant children usually hate discpline and often rebel.

I don't go to church because its too political for me

Going to church certainly isn't necessary for spiritual life. The idea is to assemble and help edify those who believe. Politics shouldn't be involved. Perhaps you are a man that can change all that nonsense.

I believe in god and I think that if we saw god in his true form he could quite possibly look like an alien.

That's odd...I think we'd see ourselves for who we actually are and what we can actually acheive.

But I see him as an equal not as the creator of all.

IMO, that idea can be very dangerous.

Also, in my previous post I stated:
"Sometimes I feel like I have more respect for athiests that just flat out deny the whole concept of God rather than those that have to make excuses and change the idea of God in order to bolster their own uncomfortable unbelief."

I didn't initial recognize that "unbelief" and "disbelief" had two seperate meanings...you learn something new everyday, I guess.

Perhaps a better way of saying it would be:
"...those that have to make excuses and change the idea of God in order to satisfy their own discomfort and bolster disbelief."

-----------------------------------------------------------

Yeah you're right...equal was a bad word to use...I view it like this...

If god was your father and you had a really good relationship with him. He would be someone you could identify with and you know he is 'above you in the food chain' so to speak, but he's not 'out of your league' and someone you couldnt identify with.

Sometimes I feel like I have more respect for athiests that just flat out deny the whole concept of God

I'm sorry, did I not make myself clear?

rather than those that have to make excuses and change the idea of God in order to bolster their own uncomfortable unbelief.

Now that is projection if ever I saw it.

And by the way, there is no one 'Idea of God' to be twisted. None of you agree entirely with what's written in that little book of yours, and none of you who've put any original thought into it agree entirely with any of the others.

You're all rationalising and excusing the bits you don't like and each and every one of you has come up with his own idea. I'd have more respect for a christian who admitted he was just picking the bits he wanted, but unfortunately none of you are that honest.

I'm sorry, did I not make myself clear?

I never heard you turn God into a verb. Who do you think I was refferring to?

Now that is projection if ever I saw it.

Absolutely...I'm glad I'm not that person anymore.;)

You're all rationalising and excusing the bits you don't like and each and every one of you has come up with his own idea. I'd have more respect for a christian who admitted he was just picking the bits he wanted, but unfortunately none of you are that honest.

I'm not the one who has a problem with a Loving, vengeful, jealous God who works all things for the good of those who love him and created the wicked for the day of judgement in order to display his own power and glory.

I'm not the one who has a problem with a Loving, vengeful, jealous God who works all things for the good of those who love him and created the wicked for the day of judgement in order to display his own power and glory.

Maybe, but I bet if you met him in the street you'd think he was a fucking arsehole.