quade

A Scientist, His Work and a Climate Reckoning

If you don't trust "science" or the government, then exactly where are you getting your information from?
If a National Weather Service satellite is showing a storm coming to your town, do you avert your eyes?

No, I roll them at stupid analogies.

I'm serious, WHERE are you getting your information that shows planet-wide temperatures are flat for the last decade?

You made the statement, the burden is on you to at least back it up with some sort of proof.

What global, independent science do you have to support your claim?

The European Space Agency maybe? How about Japan? I'll take any of them.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

If you don't trust "science" or the government, then exactly where are you getting your information from?
If a National Weather Service satellite is showing a storm coming to your town, do you avert your eyes?

No, I roll them at stupid analogies.

I'm serious, WHERE are you getting your information that shows planet-wide temperatures are flat for the last decade?

You made the statement, the burden is on you to at least back it up with some sort of proof.

What global, independent science do you have to support your claim?

The European Space Agency maybe? How about Japan? I'll take any of them.

Click the link in my other post. I was unaware that measurements were 'global, independent science', although given all the 'adjustments' that GISS does to the data, I can see where you might think that.

Unfortunately, the scientific method (at least for AGW) has become "Test, change data" instead of "Test, change hypothesis".
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Um, no - the temp anomaly has been virtually flat for the last decade.

No. Your statement is false.
http://climate.nasa.gov/keyIndicators/#globalTemp

Au contraire.

Sorry, I don't give GISTEMP much credence anymore, what with arbitrary adjustments that change cooling trends to warming trends.

You don't give credence to anything that disagrees with you.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Um, no - the temp anomaly has been virtually flat for the last decade.

No. Your statement is false.
http://climate.nasa.gov/keyIndicators/#globalTemp

Au contraire.

Sorry, I don't give GISTEMP much credence anymore, what with arbitrary adjustments that change cooling trends to warming trends.

You don't give credence to anything that disagrees with you.

Neither do you.
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Unfortunately, the scientific method (at least for AGW) has become "Test, change data" instead of "Test, change hypothesis".

Dude! Data schmata. I got my grant based on my hypothesis! I gotta keep it so the money keeps coming in!
:D:D

What with egos, politics and money involved, you can hardly trust any of them anymore.

Data manipulation has become a science in and of itself. PhDs and politicians are good at that. Put them together and one could come up with just about anything!
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Dude! Data schmata. I got my grant based on my hypothesis! I gotta keep it so the money keeps coming in!
:D:D

What with egos, politics and money involved, you can hardly trust any of them anymore.

Data manipulation has become a science in and of itself. PhDs and politicians are good at that. Put them together and one could come up with just about anything!

Like jet engines, lasers, GPS...

Which politicians were involved there? Al Gore Sr?

The very ones that voted for the appropriations to pay the scientists.

I prefer to give the scientists credit here, perhaps with a few exceptions like the Manhattan Project.

Tell it to popsjumper. He seems to think scientists are corrupted by politicians but not by big oil, big coal, big electricity...

I prefer to give the scientists credit here, perhaps with a few exceptions like the Manhattan Project.

Tell it to popsjumper. He seems to think scientists are corrupted by politicians but not by big oil, big coal, big electricity...

As you seem to think scientists are corrupted by big oil, big coal, big electricity but not by big government.
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

And you think there is no correlations between money and scientists UNLESS big oil is involved.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

And you think there is no correlations between money and scientists UNLESS big oil is involved.

Tobacco shows that big business does an outstanding job of corrupting science and trying to bamboozle the population.

Tobacco shows that big business does an outstanding job of corrupting science and trying to bamboozle the population.

And so my statement is true, you only have to superimpose Tobacco, or big oil, or whatever fits you theme of the moment, not facts.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

[Reply]Less ice extent but more/thicker ice equals no net loss (I generalize for a point here) And as lawrocket has posted so well the reasons are varied and many

By far the dominant factor in Arctic ice extent is wind. Since the ice isn't anchored it goes where the winds blow it.

Another thing is the way ice is formed over the ocean - an entirely different mechanism than over land. Ice over land forms by precipitation. Ocean ice forms by freezing ocean water with cold air. The formation of ice insulates further ice accretion. If there's no wind, ice will be extensive but thin. Wind will make it thick and lacking extent. (Other factors operate, of course. Ten foot seas can break up a thin ice cover, but without wind that doesn't happen).

A good couple of weeks of storms can also slow ice accretion. We all know that cloudless nights are colder than cloudy nights (which is the greenhouse effect!). What will accrete ice on land will prevent it on the ocean. But one must also consider that ice will still form over the ocean when it's minus 10.

Yet another thing to consider is the what the poles tell us. A fifteen degree increase in winter temperature at on Antarctica in the winter would be countered by a half a degree drop in temperature at the equator is we look at overall heat budget. (Of course, this is why the research focuses on the poles - slight changes are most pronounced there). And the oceans are different from land in that you won't find much greenhouse effect in winter over land where the sun ain't shining. Oceans transport energy. Thus, a change in circulation or even normal oscillation can dramatically affect ice formation.

But - to suggest that decreasing ice in the Arctic is due to global warming is rather simplistic. There is a helluva lot more going on. I.e., the winds may be a changin'.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

I hope I live long enough to return to this thread and you in 30 years.

It would be "interesting" to see which of the two of us was more correct.

This is, perhaps, the greatest suggestion I've seen. After all, arguing over who will be right and or wrong about the climate in 30 years is pretty silly. Paul - you've got yours. Marc has his. Let's check back on Dec. 31, 2040 to see what the climate has been like the last 30 years. Will it be warmer or cooler or stable?
Of course, what are you both willing to put up for it? Kind of like the Ehrlich bet...

My wife is hotter than your wife.

Wrong again.
Thanks for the mind-reading fail. It was funny. Pathetic, but funny.

Let's check back on Dec. 31, 2040 to see what the climate has been like the last 30 years. Will it be warmer or cooler or stable?
Of course, what are you both willing to put up for it? Kind of like the Ehrlich bet...

Hey! Can you speed things up a little? 30 years from now my world is going to be either...
-a cold, dirty world, or
-a hot-as-hell world, or
-a very small chance of a warm, clean, sunny, wonderful world
...or somewhere in between depending on your religious views.

[Reply]Less ice extent but more/thicker ice equals no net loss (I generalize for a point here) And as lawrocket has posted so well the reasons are varied and many

By far the dominant factor in Arctic ice extent is wind. Since the ice isn't anchored it goes where the winds blow it.

Another thing is the way ice is formed over the ocean - an entirely different mechanism than over land. Ice over land forms by precipitation. Ocean ice forms by freezing ocean water with cold air. The formation of ice insulates further ice accretion. If there's no wind, ice will be extensive but thin. Wind will make it thick and lacking extent. (Other factors operate, of course. Ten foot seas can break up a thin ice cover, but without wind that doesn't happen).

A good couple of weeks of storms can also slow ice accretion. We all know that cloudless nights are colder than cloudy nights (which is the greenhouse effect!). What will accrete ice on land will prevent it on the ocean. But one must also consider that ice will still form over the ocean when it's minus 10.

Yet another thing to consider is the what the poles tell us. A fifteen degree increase in winter temperature at on Antarctica in the winter would be countered by a half a degree drop in temperature at the equator is we look at overall heat budget. (Of course, this is why the research focuses on the poles - slight changes are most pronounced there). And the oceans are different from land in that you won't find much greenhouse effect in winter over land where the sun ain't shining. Oceans transport energy. Thus, a change in circulation or even normal oscillation can dramatically affect ice formation.

But - to suggest that decreasing ice in the Arctic is due to global warming is rather simplistic. There is a helluva lot more going on. I.e., the winds may be a changin'.

Why would the winds be changing?

Yeah, Serendipity Happens.
:D:P

It appears that you have little no knowledge of the way science and engineering work. However, ignorance IS curable.