Kennedy

Separation of Church and Bank?

Feds Force Okla. Bank To Remove Crosses, Bible Verse

PERKINS, Okla. -- A small-town bank in Oklahoma said the Federal Reserve won’t let it keep religious signs and symbols on display.

Federal Reserve examiners come every four years to make sure banks are complying with a long list of regulations. The examiners came to Perkins last week. And the team from Kansas City deemed a Bible verse of the day, crosses on the teller’s counter and buttons that say "Merry Christmas, God With Us." were inappropriate. The Bible verse of the day on the bank's Internet site also had to be taken down.

snip

Specifically, the feds believed, the symbols violated the discouragement clause of Regulation B of the bank regulations. According to the clause, "...the use of words, symbols, models and other forms of communication ... express, imply or suggest a discriminatory preference or policy of exclusion."

The feds interpret that to mean, for example, a Jew or Muslim or atheist may be offended and believe they may be discriminated against at this bank. It is an appearance of discrimination.

Really?
witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

Anyhow, I did a quick Google search to find the full text of the regulation. Still searching, as there are several "Regulation B" provisions dealing with banking, credit, etc.

My Google search for the key phrases quoted only got me about 800 nearly-identical hits from the right-wing blogosphere, some of which had titles like "Obama's war on non-Muslim religions" and "Obama's War on Christmas".

So there we have it. It's the War on Christmas.

They'll be changing the money next: "In God We Trust" sounds religious to me.

Never should have been put on there in the first place.

"In God We Trust" was put on all paper currency by an Act of Congress in 1955; the phrase was declared the national motto by an Act of Congress in 1956 and first appeared on paper currency in 1957.

The mid-to-late 1950s were a time of overt racism, religious discrimination, and political oppression in the United States. McCarthyism was at its feverous peak. The "red scare" had Congress and President Eisenhower acting in paranoid fits of illegal and unconstitutional activity. The FBI, under the militant J. Edgar Hoover, engaged in illegal spying campaigns against Americans.

During this period, the federal government acted more like an authoritarian dictatorship than a constitutional democracy. The government violated civil rights with impunity.

Adding "In God We Trust" to the US currency was an act of religious and political propaganda, allegedly to counter the threat of "godless communism."

absolutely.

I, as an atheist would be offended, and would have every reason to assume that I would be discriminated against based on my religious beliefs.

The lack of any religious art or symbolism offends me.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

but does it make you feel like you are going to be discriminated against?

Like it would if the place was adorned with atheistic slogans?

Not endorsing any religion by having no religiously symbolic statements is much different than endorsing one specific religion.

OH - so if they had a symbol for every religion on the wall then it would be ok.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

as long as they included atheist symbolism as well.

It may be hard for you to believe, but non Christians are regularly discriminated against in this country.

As are atheists. For most people, if you work at, say, the proverbial "Dunder Mifflin"-type office, and you're an atheist, you're best off keeping your mouth shut about it.

absolutely.

I, as an atheist would be offended, and would have every reason to assume that I would be discriminated against based on my religious beliefs.

People who want to be offended will find some thing to be offended by. I don't agree with most concepts of "God." But I don't care if others do. As long as they don't try to force their belief systems on me. I don't force my beleifs on anyone else and I require the same from others. Kind of like the Golden Rule. And I try not to assume discrimination before it happens. I would do business in a "christian" bank as well as a "jerish" or "muslim" bank. As long as they treat me like they treat every one else. I don't kike green bottle beer either but I don't care if you drink it.
Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossilbe before they were done.
Louis D Brandeis

Where are we going and why are we in this basket?

I, as an Atheist would have no problem with it, as long as they do not discriminate. I would always have the option to go to another bank, which of course I would do.

absolutely.

Glad you don't speak for all Atheist, especially for this one....Christmas may be abut religion, but I like the fact it also becoems a magical time for children!

So all the religious displays don't bother me one bit...IMO, Any Athiest "bothered" by such things is not an Athiest, they are a pain in the ass activist...

Merry Christmas everyone...B| See, that didn't change my beliefs at all...it just made other people smile for a second, what harm is there in that?

What does this have to do with Christmas?

This isn't about Christmas decorations.

Well, simple Math...Christmas is a Christian Holiday, The time of Year for this story to come out, , The Bank having to remove all religious cymbals, I'm gonna go out on a limb and figure that meant all Christmas decrorations...:S

but does it make you feel like you are going to be discriminated against?

Like it would if the place was adorned with atheistic slogans?

Not endorsing any religion by having no religiously symbolic statements is much different than endorsing one specific religion.

OH - so if they had a symbol for every religion on the wall then it would be ok.

This one might work ... Someday

Assuming that this bank takes part in the FDIC, does that mean they have any obligation to uphold the first amendment? Hell, if they want to start their own bank on their own land... they can call if the First Bank of Jesus for all that this atheist cares. It seems too me that if they want federal deposit insurance, then they need to play by federal rules (the constitution).