Skyrad

US supporting war crimes in Africa

So the USA is supplying intel to Uganda and the US Ambassador just wants to know before hand when the Ugandan army is going to commit war crimes based on the intel that the USA gives them. They don't want to stop or prevent it from happening, just know about it in advance.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/dec/08/wikileaks-cables-uganda-war-crimes
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

So the USA is supplying intel to Uganda and the US Ambassador just wants to know before hand when the Ugandan army is going to commit war crimes based on the intel that the USA gives them. They don't want to stop or prevent it from happening, just know about it in advance.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/dec/08/wikileaks-cables-uganda-war-crimes

US has been doing this all over the world since the Cold War -- not much new here. And the US' record in Africa is that of not really giving a toss what happens there...Darfur and Rwanda come immediately come to mind.
[:/]

Be humble, ask questions, listen, learn, follow the golden rule, talk when necessary, and know when to shut the fuck up.

Well, in all fairness, the cable cited is a year old.
is this type of thing still going on?

Does it matter? It's just as bad if it was done a year ago as if it's done today.

Edited to add: Of course it matters for the people involved and should be stopped. But it doesn't matter for the case on how the US should be held responsible.

-Jo Henrik

So, we are to get pissed at the US for watching, but ignore the fact it is People acting in the name of Islam commiting the crimes?

Does the fact I watch National news yet do nothing about the Crimes commited in the name of Islam in Africa mean I condone it? :S

Then, are not all members of Islam quilty of allowing such attacks?, sense they too are just watching!

So, we are to get pissed at the US for watching, but ignore the fact it is People acting in the name of Islam commiting the crimes?

it sounds like they're pissed that we're not playing global cop. Yet when we play global cop, others are pissed that we're playing global cop.

can't please everyone all the time... fuck-em!
--
Rob

Well, in all fairness, the cable cited is a year old.
is this type of thing still going on?

Does it matter? It's just as bad if it was done a year ago as if it's done today.

Edited to add: Of course it matters for the people involved and should be stopped. But it doesn't matter for the case on how the US should be held responsible.

To be repetitive:
Is this type of thing still going on?

Do we know that the U.S. realized the error of their ways and corrected?

Do we know that the U.S. did not realize the error of their ways and continued?

I want to know what is happening in more recent times...maybe Wikileaks will get up-to-date in the near future.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

it sounds like they're pissed that we're not playing global cop. Yet when we play global cop, others are pissed that we're playing global cop.

The problems isn't that the US is playing the global cop, the problem is that the way you are acting is not fair. Cops should follow the laws. If you want to be a cop you should enforce the laws, not help people break them.

-Jo Henrik

Does the fact I watch National news yet do nothing about the Crimes commited in the name of Islam in Africa mean I condone it? :S

Then, are not all members of Islam quilty of allowing such attacks?, sense they too are just watching!

You don't know very much about Uganda my friend. 84% of the population is Christian, 41% of who are Catholic. Only 12% of the country is Muslim and the fight against the LRA has nothing to do with Islam. Its perpetrated by the Government forces against the LRA who are a gang of doped up psychopaths who use children as 'soldiers'.
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

The problems isn't that the US is playing the global cop, the problem is that the way you are acting is not fair. Cops should follow the laws. If you want to be a cop you should enforce the laws, not help people break them.

from the article:

But Lanier continued: "Uganda understands the need to consult with the US in advance if the [Ugandan army] intends to use US-supplied intelligence to engage in operations not government [sic] by the law of armed conflict. Uganda understands and acknowledges that misuse of this intelligence could cause the US to end this intelligence sharing relationship."

this sounds to me like we will continue to share the information until it was mis-used.

This is an embassy, not a peacekeeping force. They share info to get favors (it's what they do). The info was misused. The question is "was further information shared after the mis-use happened?"

so you (evidenced by your comments) expect us to be a cop and we're not. You assume (by likely not reading closely enough) that the US officials at the embassy shared the information in order to see the war crime committed.
--
Rob

You don't know very much about Uganda my friend. 84% of the population is Christian, 41% of who are Catholic. Only 12% of the country is Muslim and the fight against the LRA has nothing to do with Islam. Its perpetrated by the Government forces against the LRA who are a gang of doped up psychopaths who use children as 'soldiers'.

Then the History channel needs to rewrite their documentary, they showed the atrocities being commited by Muslim troops against Christians, Including kid napping the young boys to indoctrinate them to Isam and train as soldiers!

Yes the US as been financing war in Africa for a long time. All the women that just have to have that big ol glitzy diamond sure do love supporting child labor and war. Despite the world media ahowing the conditions that blood diamonds come from there is still a large demand for something that is nothing more than an imperfect compressed and heated piece of coal. >:(

In Uganda and the Congo its more about other mineral mining in particular Coltan. Thats what the US mining companies want. Anglo American has been very involved with funding the war in the Congo.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

In Uganda and the Congo its more about other mineral mining in particular Coltan. Thats what the US mining companies want.

Blood diamonds were brought up as a motivator, so could be, but it was only christians they showed misssing arms, and the camps where they had taken christian children to force/beat them into Islam!

so you (evidenced by your comments) expect us to be a cop and we're not.

Are you applying that to just this particular situation in Uganda or is that applicable to the U.S. in general.

If a general application then I would have to argue against that thought. Where is the line between looking out for our own interests and interfering with the workings of a sovereign entity? Can you think of any situations like that?
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

In Uganda and the Congo its more about other mineral mining in particular Coltan. Thats what the US mining companies want. Anglo American has been very involved with funding the war in the Congo.

Well, if you want to blame the right players, you should get your facts straight. Anglo in a British company. They don't even have a direct presence in th US.
Remster

so you (evidenced by your comments) expect us to be a cop and we're not.

Are you applying that to just this particular situation in Uganda or is that applicable to the U.S. in general.

If a general application then I would have to argue against that thought. Where is the line between looking out for our own interests and interfering with the workings of a sovereign entity? Can you think of any situations like that?

I was referring to this situation. I wish we weren't used to playing world cop. Most of it is none of our damn business.
--
Rob

Well, if you want to blame the right players, you should get your facts straight. Anglo in a British company. They don't even have a direct presence in th US.

Quite right, my bad. There are several UK companies who are up to their eyeballs in the shite that is going on there.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca