Lindsey

Hunting

The only hunting I look down on, Is Trophy hunting....I mean, WTF? if you are not going to eat it, use a camera...it takes even more skill to get a good photo, than it does to make a good shot!

I used to trophy hunt all the time, even with a bow. It was more of a challenge than just hunting for the first doe that steps out. I don't like to end my season the first day out.

Usually the toughest animal to get is one that has a big rack. They don't get old by being stupid.

And that doesn't mean that I waste the meat. I make every effort to salvage any usable meat. I even tan the hide, make gun and coat racks out of the feet, and mount the head.....I don't like to waste anything on the game I take. My dogs get the bones and scraps.

All this ties in to hunting ethics, and having respect for the animal you hunt. I try to never take a shot unless I can make a clean kill. (I don't want anything to suffer.) I wish more hunters hunted like that.....I know many don't.

I guess I should have been much more clear, (I left that wide open didn't I?) I meant rich assholes that go to africa, just to shoot a fenced in Rhino, Elephant, or Lion, or Etc.) Not people that are actually using their trophy animal to it's fullest...

Trophy hunters as you are reffering, watch dozens of aninmals walk right by, in easy reach, waiting for that Prize...different group...My bad!

So killing because of over-population makes you feel as thought hunting is an enjoyable activity. Fun with the friends eh?

If deer are not controlled they overpopulate, transmit disease, suffer and die a terrible death

Wow that sounds a lot like this other species I know... Except this other species doesn't have anyone to end their over-population.

The idea that the deer would 'over-populate' is one that is caused by human over-population. And as we populate even more we're going to keep pushing the amount of 'allowed' animals down, because as we expand we'll take over their habitats (as we've done) and then where what was once their home will turn to farms, because as we populate we will need more sources of food.

We're lucky there isn't anyone smarter or stronger than us, or we'd have been culled ages ago.

If anything it is our ethical responsibility not to breed. And don't try say "It's the reason why we're here, our sole purpose is to breed... not doing so would be morally wrong"... Because every animal has the same reason to exist, to procreate, but somehow because we reproduce like destructive rabbits we can now dictate what is more worthy to live.

I'm a misanthropist, it's no secret. But it's these facts that make me one.

so you distrust and dislike mankind, interesting

what are you doing to live your convictions? any solutions to the starvation, overpopulation and murder in your country?

how do reconcile the fact that hunters pour tons of money into your country that supports the economy and funds the study and preservation of wildlife?

I'm a Marine and Wildlife Biologist, it's no secret.
Give one city to the thugs so they can all live together. I vote for Chicago where they have strict gun laws.

Insects don't feel pain???

Is this the fantasy you want to believe so you don'tt feel bad? (my guess)

Anyone that has ever seen a injured insect, "Knows" they feel pain, just as we do, They will do everything to try to survive, they are no more or less than we are! They WANT to LIVE...Animals want to live, People want to live..

Please, if you're going to argue against something I say at least make sure your comment is at least worthy of SOME credibility.

All sources I have read from biologists and scientists state that they for the most part they do not feel pain caused by pressure, though studies did indicate possible pain perception through electric shock and extreme temperatures. They can perceive touch, as one can note by touching their leg- though if you break a leg off an insect the remainder of the leg, instead of twitching more rapidly as would be evident if it did feel pain for that limb the movement of the leg that was present during the holding of it stops, and the leg becomes still again. This shows that while it perceived the leg being held, it didn't feel a pain sensation during the break.

It's funny that you think that any sensory reaction is evidence of pain though.

What are you doing to live your convictions? any solutions to the starvation, overpopulation and murder in your country?

I'm doing my part by not reproducing and adding to the problem. I'm here to do right by me.

how do reconcile the fact that hunters pour tons of money into your country that supports the economy and funds the study and preservation of wildlife?

We preserve wild life? Last time I checked most of our animals were being poached to the brink of extinction, yet the security surrounding the issue never seems to get any better.

And if you know this country well enough, you know the money doesn't really do that, but it does by Government officials new Mercedes.

I'm doing my part by not reproducing

perhaps you should brush your teeth more and be a better listener - women also like guys that are funny but not mean.

And some seem to like nice shoes - I never understood that.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

I guess I should have been much more clear, (I left that wide open didn't I?) I meant rich assholes that go to africa, just to shoot a fenced in Rhino, Elephant, or Lion, or Etc.) Not people that are actually using their trophy animal to it's fullest...

Trophy hunters as you are reffering, watch dozens of aninmals walk right by, in easy reach, waiting for that Prize...different group...My bad!

I know exactly how you feel. I hate people like that too. For many, getting their name in the record book is all important to them. Some even falsify. or poach to get a big animal in the book.

There are fat cats with lot's of money who can't even build a fire on their own. They pay a ton of money for a guided hunt where about all they have to do is show up and pull the trigger on something. That is not hunting in my mind.

Not all people who go on guided hunts are like that, but some are. Maybe I'm a little jealous because I'm far from rich.

There are also people at the other extreme. I know one guy who killed a mountain goat with a homemade bow, here in Montana. It would probably have been a new world record. Yet he chose not to enter it in any book. He knew what he had done, and he felt it was wrong to kill and animal to make it into the record book.

His name was Paul Shafer. He played football for the Bobcats in his younger days. His physical strength was impressive. He made bows for a living and was also an outdoor writer. Several years back he was killed in a skiing accident. He was a hunter who will be missed.

I killed a mountain goat with a recurve about 30 years ago. It would have placed in the top three in the Pople and Young. I never listed it in any book though. I had three different official measurers measure it. One of them entered it in the state records. It was a state record for over twenty years....But I'm not a big fan of record books. Many traditional hunters refuse to enter a trophy in any book.

I admire people who hunt public land. There it might be hard to kill even a small buck. If it comes hard it is a trophy in my mind....Hunting was never supposed to be easy. If it is, it doesn't mean much....

I'll get off my soap box. This is my two cents worth. This is what hunting means to me....

I did a catch and release last week, the second one I have caught in my yard...Actually, one of my dogs made it easy, it was playing possum (what are the odds?) when I got outside...I released him outside the fence..(he is still playing possum in this shot, he is totally unharmed)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v400/onekick/033-1.jpg

I did a catch and release last week, the second one I have caught in my yard...Actually, one of my dogs made it easy, it was playing possum (what are the odds?) when I got outside...I released him outside the fence..(he is still playing possum in this shot, he is totally unharmed)

Damn lucky you were not bit. Several years ago, I came around the side of my house and was confronted by a large possum. It was near noon time and possums are rarely seen during day light. Most likely, that old guy was ill. Anyways, the damn thing charged at me, so I went inside and got my bow and put an arrow through him. Didn't kill him. Screw it, I'll shoot him with the 30-06. One bullet through his gut and out his ass. Still, didn't kill it! To hell with him. I put the barrel to his head and ended his misery. One arrow and two shells! That was one tough possum.

Do love to hunt. Have been hunting since early childhood. However, deer season was very bad this year. We were able to take two yearlings (actually three were shot, but only two were found. Oh well, coyotes need to eat too.) I did see several small bucks sniffing after does. Saw a good number of does. Shot at one that was over 350 yards (I hunt with open sights.) Thought I hit her as she dropped down but then got back up and took a few steps, only to stop again. I sat there for a few minutes watching her. As she started to head towards the wood line, I took another shot. She slowly made her way into the woods as I sat in my spot. After an hour or so, I took a stroll to the spot where she dropped. No blood! I followed her tracks into the woods and found nothing. Oh well, I'll see her again, next year;)

As for poaching? Depends. A lot of folks in this county live below the poverty line (jobs are very scarce.) If someone can feed their family for several months and shoot a deer without being caught, I say go for it. Now, if you're only shooting deer just to be shooting deer... shame on you.

The pic is my "Trophy" buck that I took in Dallas County, MO. Weighed out to over 250lbs. That is a big deer down here in SW Missouri. Shot him in 2007. Last year I got an eight pointer that was only half the size. Year before got two does.
"...And once you're gone, you can't come back
When you're out of the blue and into the black."
Neil Young

I'm doing my part by not reproducing and adding to the problem.

Good.

I'm here to do right by me.

So, because it's all about YOU, hunters shouldn't be allowed to hunt? Now it starts to make sense...
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Damn lucky you were not bit. Several years ago, I came around the side of my house and was confronted by a large possum. It was near noon time and possums are rarely seen during day light. Most likely, that old guy was ill. Anyways, the damn thing charged at me, so I went inside and got my bow and put an arrow through him. Didn't kill him. Screw it, I'll shoot him with the 30-06. One bullet through his gut and out his ass. Still, didn't kill it! To hell with him. I put the barrel to his head and ended his misery. One arrow and two shells! That was one tough possum.

Do love to hunt. Have been hunting since early childhood. However, deer season was very bad this year. We were able to take two yearlings (actually three were shot, but only two were found. Oh well, coyotes need to eat too.) I did see several small bucks sniffing after does. Saw a good number of does. Shot at one that was over 350 yards (I hunt with open sights.) Thought I hit her as she dropped down but then got back up and took a few steps, only to stop again. I sat there for a few minutes watching her. As she started to head towards the wood line, I took another shot. She slowly made her way into the woods as I sat in my spot. After an hour or so, I took a stroll to the spot where she dropped. No blood! I followed her tracks into the woods and found nothing. Oh well, I'll see her again, next year;)

As for poaching? Depends. A lot of folks in this county live below the poverty line (jobs are very scarce.) If someone can feed their family for several months and shoot a deer without being caught, I say go for it. Now, if you're only shooting deer just to be shooting deer... shame on you.

The pic is my "Trophy" buck that I took in Dallas County, MO. Weighed out to over 250lbs. That is a big deer down here in SW Missouri. Shot him in 2007. Last year I got an eight pointer that was only half the size. Year before got two does.

I've been around Possum's and handled wild and tame ones since I was a child,(including killing them for food), they are predictable, BUT, ya better understand the signs when they are done playing dead...cause they got some serious teeth!

I had to capture one in my naighbors house, she thought there was a giant rat in her garage...:ph34r:

Shot at one that was over 350 yards (I hunt with open sights.) Thought I hit her as she dropped down but then got back up and took a few steps, only to stop again. I sat there for a few minutes watching her. As she started to head towards the wood line, I took another shot. She slowly made her way into the woods as I sat in my spot. After an hour or so, I took a stroll to the spot where she dropped. No blood! I followed her tracks into the woods and found nothing. Oh well, I'll see her again, next year

I'm not a hunter, but I have absolutely no problem with ethical hunting.

That being said, why did you sit there for an hour before finding out if your traget was dead? Did I misread you?

- Dan G

That being said, why did you sit there for an hour before finding out if your traget was dead? Did I misread you?

Because if you start out after them immediately, they'll keep running. Wait a while and they'll bed up without going far - usually.
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Because if you start out after them immediately, they'll keep running. Wait a while and they'll bed up without going far - usually.

LOL, usually... 4 or 5 years ago, shot a doe that ran near two miles with its front left leg shot near off. The round entered behind her right front leg, went through both lungs and exit through her left leg. That damn thing went up hills, down hills, through creek beds, plowed corn fields and into a pasture before she dropped. Left a great blood trail to follow.

The buck in the picture only went, maybe 50 yards with no brains in his head. I shot him at an angle. The round entered behind the front leg, traveled up his neck and out the side of his head, just below the left antler. That was the first shot. Shot him as he was running from 150-200 yards. When I shot, he quickly turned and ran in the opposite direction. I thought, "damn, I missed". so I shot again. Second shot and he dropped on the spot. Oddly, the second shot hit him in the exact same spot, but on the other side of his body. The round traveled up his neck and bounced off of the bottom of the opposite antler to travel, under the skin, down the length of his snout and came to rest just above his nose. Both shots took out a lung. I'm amazed that he ran 50 yards with no brain left. Deer are amazing that they, at times, can go so far after being badly wounded.
Neil Young

I also wonder why someone would take shots at 350yrds with iron sights, but that's a whole 'nother discussion.

capabilities vary. I can hit a 12" target at 100yd on open sights. I have have seen people do the same at 500yd. I'm still learning.
--
Rob

Okay, that makes sense. It just seems like an hour is a long time to wait.

I also wonder why someone would take shots at 350yrds with iron sights, but that's a whole 'nother discussion.

I wouldn't take a shot that long over irons, either - but that's just my opinion (and getting-older eyes). Very easy to hit over/under the target at that range, unless you *really* know the drop of your cartridge.
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Okay, that makes sense. It just seems like an hour is a long time to wait.

The buck I shot last year was at near 300 yards. Normally I would not take a long shot, but it was getting near complete sunset and it was the last day, so I shot him. The doe I shot at this year at over 350yds? I honestly thought that I would nail it. She got lucky. Oh, and my rifle is dead on at 250yds. With the doe, I aimed just below her back line. She must had just ducked the round when she went down. What a bitch. Would had been enough meat to last quite sometime.
Neil Young

What round are you shooting?

Winchester Super X 165 grain pointed soft points.

30-06, I take it?

Sighted in at 250, you were -11.1 at 350, -15.3 at 375 and -20 at 400. If you held just under her topline, you probably shot under her.
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

What round are you shooting?

Winchester Super X 165 grain pointed soft points.

30-06, I take it?

Sighted in at 250, you were -11.1 at 350, -15.3 at 375 and -20 at 400. If you held just under her topline, you probably shot under her.

Yup, Model of 1917 Winchester. I should had gave a bit more elevation. When she went down, after the shot, I was sure I hit her, but then she stood back up. I think she must had ducked the round and it went over her back. Although, I didn't see any frost spray up in the grass behind her. It was a side shot. It is possible that I hit her and that the round did not exit her. Without a blood trail, they are near impossible to track. I was shooting up the hill in what we call the big green. I hunt on 500+ acres of private property on a cattle ranch. Lots of woods. She was standing in a gully getting a drink from a small pool of water. I had sworn that I hit her. I knew the shot would be a maybe, but what the hell, season was almost over.
Neil Young

Somehow that doesn't sit right with me, and is a good reason why people dislike hunters. Darkness, an animal which is walking away or partly obscured, an excessively long shot, or the last day of a hunt and the eagerness to get a kill all contribute to shitty shooting. Taking a shit shot at an animal is what causes them to die slowly, and isn't the sign of a good hunter. Why not spend a few bucks on a nice scope, or just not take the shot?

Somehow that doesn't sit right with me, and is a good reason why people dislike hunters. Darkness, an animal which is walking away or partly obscured, an excessively long shot, or the last day of a hunt and the eagerness to get a kill all contribute to shitty shooting. Taking a shit shot at an animal is what causes them to die slowly, and isn't the sign of a good hunter. Why not spend a few bucks on a nice scope, or just not take the shot?

The majority of deer are shot at sun up and sun down. In all of my years hunting deer, not counting this one, I have killed near every deer I shot at. Some were less than 20 feet some were near 300 yards. Sometimes you just miss. It happens to the best.
I take it you do not deer hunt? An instant drop would be nice, but it does not always happen that way.

Tracking a shot deer is just part hunting. I've seen deer go just into the tree line and lay down in brush to die. Other times they may run for over a mile through woods and farm land. Hope they leave a good blood trail. A gut shot deer will not bleed out. Best shot is behind its front leg. Take out lungs and heart. Even then, a deer can run more than 50yds. Enough to find a place to hide in the woods. If we don't find it, we don't worry ourselves over it. No one likes to lose a deer, but it happens to even the best hunters.

I do not hunt solely for enjoyment. My main purpose is meat. Hell yes, I'll take a long shot. If I hit it and it goes into the woods at sunset, I'll get him in the morning, if not that night. If we don't find it, oh well, coyotes have to eat, too.

I've been using this rifle since 1987. It is a Model of 1917 Winchester that someone sporterized after it was stolen from an Army base in New Jersey in 1920. I bought it at a gun shop in Indiana. There is a website that one can use to track a weapon's history using the serial numbers. It would ruin this rifle to mount a scope on it. The gunsmith at the Bass Pro Shop in Springfield told me that my rifle was worth $750-1000.00 if not more. He recommended not mounting a scope. I have been thinking of getting a .270 with a dusk and dawn scope. I am very good with open sights, however. Besides, many a deer has been missed with a scope mounted rifle.
Neil Young