jclalor

US military to join the western world.

What group would you prefer the US military belong?

GROUP A

1.1 Albania
1.2 Argentina
1.3 Australia
1.4 Austria
1.5 Belgium
1.6 Canada
1.7 Colombia
1.8 Czech Republic
1.9 Denmark
1.10 Estonia
1.11 Finland
1.12 France
1.13 Germany
1.14 Ireland
1.15 Israel
1.16 Italy
1.17 Japan
1.18 Lithuania
1.19 Luxembourg
1.20 Malta
1.21 The Netherlands
1.22 New Zealand
1.23 Norway
1.24 Peru
1.25 Philippines
1.26 Poland
1.27 Romania
1.28 Russia
1.29 Serbia
1.30 Slovenia
1.31 South Africa
1.32 Spain
1.33 Sweden
1.34 Switzerland
1.35 Taiwan
1.36 United Kingdom
1.37 Bermuda
1.38 Uruguay

GROUP B

Antigua and Barbuda[46]
Bangladesh[46]
Barbados[46]
Belarus[46]
Belize[46]
Botswana[46]
Brunei[46]
Cameroon[46]
Cuba
Cyprus[46]
People's Republic of China
Dominica[46]
Egypt
Fiji[46]
Ghana[46]
Greece[46]
Guyana[46]
Iran
Kenya[46]
Kiribati[46]
Jamaica[46]
Lesotho[46]
Malawi[46]
Malaysia[46]
Maldives[46]
Mozambique[46]
Namibia[46]
Nauru[46]
Nigeria[46]
North Korea
Pakistan[46]
Papua New Guinea[46]
Saudi Arabia

Sierra Leone[46]
Singapore[46]
Solomon Islands[46]
South Korea[49]
Sri Lanka[46]
St. Kitts and Nevis[46]
St. Lucia[46]
St. Vincent and the Grenadines[46]
Swaziland[46]
Syria
Tanzania[46]
Tonga[46]
Trinidad and Tobago[46]
Turkey[46][50]
Tuvalu[46]
Uganda[46]
Vanuatu[46]
Venezuela[46]
Yemen
Zambia[46]
Zimbabwe[46

With the latest pentagon study on the attitudes of soldiers on Gays in the military, it looks like we will be joining the right group.

Do you consider "the right group", group A, or group B?
What is the "[46]" after each country's name in group B?
You omitted the word "To" at the beginning of your question.
Some of the countries whom you seem to be calling "the right group", are NOT "western".
Your post is very confusing...

The [46] is a footnote from the wikipedia article where the list is from. Likewise the 1.x numbers are section listings from the article's index.

This is just a really goofy OP. Comparing, specifically, militaries around the world in terms of how lgbt friendly they are feels like taking a wrong turn somewhere. I think comparing countries in general in terms of their lgbt rights and comparing the rights of service members with the level of acceptance enjoyed in rest of that country both make a lot more sense.

Mind you I'm for the repeal of the ban on gays serving openly (and voted no on 8 in CA, etc.) but I think this comparison is awkward at best.

>but I think this comparison is awkward at best.

Agreed. At best it's an indication that allowing LGBT soldiers to serve openly does not "contribute to the collapse of the military" etc. We have plenty of examples where that did not happen.

Some of the countries whom you seem to be calling "the right group", are NOT "western".

Thanks John, you save me the typing.
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

I hope this isn't something we use as decision criteria. But on the subject; I expect integration of homsexuals in the military might be similar to integration of blacks. We draw our lower enlisted from a very divers group that is often of a low socio-economic status. There will be open and concealed hostility toward those who are openly gay. Possibly less so than what we experienced with black integration, but still there.

I think it is inevitable and logical to remove the barriers. I'm undecided about the timing. It might be easier if we were not dealing with Afghanistan, Iraq and a world recession. But then, when is there never something important going on to distract us?

I still say a good bench mark for if the military is ready for LGBT troops is when it will be socially acceptable to have Coed showers. I say as a social experiment we should coed the showers tomorrow.:ph34r:

If I'm going to be eye candy, I want some to look at myself. If a gay couple can shower together, why can't I bring in my girlfriend? It's discriminating against straight people!!!!;)

"There is an art, it says, or, rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."
Life, the Universe, and Everything

We draw our lower enlisted from a very divers group that is often of a low socio-economic status. There will be open and concealed hostility toward those who are openly gay.

I fully expect there to be both open and concealed hostility throughout the ranks, regardless of the socio-economic status; we see that outside the military; I'd expect it to be no different within the military.

That said, there also seems to be a lot of support within the military for allowing gays to serve openly (based on recently-released survey results), so I suspect that the problems will be worked through and some time from now this will just be another change the military has absorbed.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

>I still say a good bench mark for if the military is ready for LGBT troops
>is when it will be socially acceptable to have Coed showers.

We had coed showers/bathrooms in college (was once an all-male dorm, so they didn't have enough bathrooms to go around.) It was a big deal for about 2 weeks, then everyone learned to live with it.

>I still say a good bench mark for if the military is ready for LGBT troops
>is when it will be socially acceptable to have Coed showers.

We had coed showers/bathrooms in college (was once an all-male dorm, so they didn't have enough bathrooms to go around.) It was a big deal for about 2 weeks, then everyone learned to live with it.

but unless your's was radically different from what I saw @ Cal, it wasn't an open shower room like a locker room. They were individual stalls.

The toilet stalls were the bigger problem. Nothing less fun than seeing a girl come out after making a noise/stink - ignorance truly is bliss.

>it wasn't an open shower room like a locker room. They were individual
>stalls.

For us, the smaller showers had individual stalls, the two big ones had one big room. For those we put up plastic shower curtains on string. Not too much of a problem.

>The toilet stalls were the bigger problem. Nothing less fun than seeing a
>girl come out after making a noise/stink - ignorance truly is bliss.

Took a little while to get used to it, indeed. But in the end it didn't bother me any more than a guy doing that; both sexes seemed to be equally capable of stink and noise.

I was impressed by how fast some women could pee, though. Was like turning on a fire hose for five seconds.

John, meet Mirror: Mirror, John.:D
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

What parts of my message did you find confusing?

What parts of my message did you find confusing?

None of it.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?