dreamdancer

Saudi Arabia urges US attack on Iran to stop nuclear programme

such lovely friends...

King Abdullah of Saudi Arabia has repeatedly urged the United States to attack Iran to destroy its nuclear programme, according to leaked US diplomatic cables that describe how other Arab allies have secretly agitated for military action against Tehran.

The revelations, in secret memos from US embassies across the Middle East, expose behind-the-scenes pressures in the scramble to contain the Islamic Republic, which the US, Arab states and Israel suspect is close to acquiring nuclear weapons. Bombing Iranian nuclear facilities has hitherto been viewed as a desperate last resort that could ignite a far wider war.

The Saudi king was recorded as having "frequently exhorted the US to attack Iran to put an end to its nuclear weapons programme", one cable stated. "He told you [Americans] to cut off the head of the snake," the Saudi ambassador to Washington, Adel al-Jubeir said, according to a report on Abdullah's meeting with the US general David Petraeus in April 2008.

The cables also highlight Israel's anxiety to preserve its regional nuclear monopoly, its readiness to go it alone against Iran – and its unstinting attempts to influence American policy. The defence minister, Ehud Barak, estimated in June 2009 that there was a window of "between six and 18 months from now in which stopping Iran from acquiring nuclear weapons might still be viable". After that, Barak said, "any military solution would result in unacceptable collateral damage."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/nov/28/us-embassy-cables-saudis-iran?intcmp=239
stay away from moving propellers - they bite
blue skies from thai sky adventures
good solid response-provoking keyboarding

I'm looking forward to seeing official spin by US and other diplomats on all the little nasty thing they used to say they'd never say. And I'm really, really looking forward to Iran's reaction to all this (as long as it remains verbal/written, that is).
witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

I dunno; I hear they pay well.

Roger that.
Saudi Arabia is a sizeable kingdom with sizeable resources. What is their military capability ?
I'm inclined to think that if they pumped enough oil money into a war machine then they could take Iran themselves quite comfortably.

TEHRAN, Iran -- Iran's state TV says separate but identical bomb attacks have killed a prominent Iranian nuclear scientist and wounded another in the capital, Tehran.

The state television website says attackers riding on motorcycles attached bombs to the car windows of the scientists as they were driving to their workplaces on Monday morning.

One bomb killed Majid Shahriari, a member of the nuclear engineering faculty at the Tehran University, and wounded his wife.

The second blast seriously wounded nuclear physicist Fereidoun Abbasi.

At least two other Iranian nuclear scientists have been killed in recent years. Iran has said it suspects the attacks were part of a covert attempt by the West to undermine the country's nuclear program.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/11/29/AR2010112900430.html?hpid=moreheadlines

At least two other Iranian nuclear scientists have been killed in recent years. Iran has said it suspects the attacks were part of a covert attempt by the West to undermine the country's nuclear program.

Yes, because the "west" is known for its use of motorcycle-drive-by-stick-on-the-windshield bombs. :S

Somehow I think our guys would have just, I dunno, pulled up along side and shot them.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

or perhaps used an exploding cigar?

Yeah, yeah, last time -we- take advice on making a hit from Daffy Duck or Wile E. Coyote.

I think we've become better since then at not wasting a lot of time with foolishness and just pulling the damn trigger.

I dunno. Maybe I'm wrong. The motorcycle drive by windshield bomb just doesn't seem like "US."
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

I urge Saudi Arabia to do it themselves and quit asking us to be their mercenaries.

and on that note, they should also stop asking Israel to take of it for the rest of the world.

This is not just an Israeli problem
"Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero."

Roger that.
Saudi Arabia is a sizeable kingdom with sizeable resources. What is their military capability ?
I'm inclined to think that if they pumped enough oil money into a war machine then they could take Iran themselves quite comfortably.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Saudi take almost all of our F-16 Tomcats when the US retired them from active service, upgrade all the avionics and missile packages, and bring them into the 21st century? Why doesn't Saudi Sick those puppies in Iran ~ I'd bet they'd raise hell.
=========Shaun ==========

Roger that.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Saudi take almost all of our F-16 Tomcats when the US retired them from active service, upgrade all the avionics and missile packages, and bring them into the 21st century? Why doesn't Saudi Sick those puppies in Iran ~ I'd bet they'd raise hell.

Yup you are WRONG

No F-16 Falcons

No F-14 TOMCATS

Plenty of F-15 Eagles

I stand corrected, I meant F-14s. Didn't they take over a bunch of those?

The F-14 was replaced by the F/A-18 in the US leaving Iran the only country the operates them. The F-14 itself had replaced the F-4 (sort of) but Iran still uses those too, as do a few other countries.

I dunno; I hear they pay well.

Roger that.

Yeah, but why have a guard dog and bark yourself?

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome