muff528

Where were you.....

....on November 22, 1963? I was in Ms. Cosey's 8th grade art class. She said we were being so good that she was going to play the radio while we did our "art". Music played for a few minutes and then an announcer broke in and said "The President has been shot." That's all! The music program resumed and left us wondering what the heck happened.

....on November 22, 1963? I was in Ms. Cosey's 8th grade art class. She said we were being so good that she was going to play the radio while we did our "art". Music played for a few minutes and then an announcer broke in and said "The President has been shot." That's all! The music program resumed and left us wondering what the heck happened.

Home sick from school, watching teevee in the living room when Walter Cronkite came on and said that the President had been shot.

I went with my father to his office three (?) days later, and over the radio came the news that Oswald had been shot as well.

Each was rather a paradigm shift, where "after" was significantly different from "before."

BSBD,

Winsor

Home sick from school, watching teevee in the living room when Walter Cronkite came on and said that the President had been shot.

I went with my father to his office three (?) days later, and over the radio came the news that Oswald had been shot as well.

Each was rather a paradigm shift, where "after" was significantly different from "before."

BSBD,

Winsor

IIRC Kennedy was assassinated on a Friday and we watched Oswald get shot on live TV on Sunday, the 24th.

BSBD,

Winsor

IIRC Kennedy was assassinated on a Friday and we watched Oswald get shot on live TV on Sunday, the 24th.

That fits. My father needed to get something from the office on a weekend, so I accompanied him downtown.

Thanks, I was too lazy to look up the timeline.

BSBD,

Winsor

BSBD,

Winsor

I was also in an elementary school class and the teacher began crying, and it took her a while to compose herself.

I still wonder what the world would be like now had he not been assasinated that day. I know my life would have been far different because I doubt I would have lost those I did in SE Asia[:/][:/]

I was swimming around in one of my dads nuts trying to find a way out.

Not sure what I was doing when he was assasinated. I do remember I was mad that my cartoons were preempted by the funeral. I was 4

+1 We lived in Miami and I don't recall anything about the actual assassinaton, but the Sat. cartoons being pre-empted for the funeral really pissed me off.
Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

i can remember it distinctly...:|

I was in the 5th grade... the teacher had asked me to carry "the S R A Reading Program BOX."
which was a color coded reading program, with short stories that were increasingly complex, as the colors changed, from our class room to the 3rd grade Classroom, on the second floor of the school..

I was waiting at the door of the 3rd grade Room, when the loudspeaker came on.
with..
"May I have your attention, Boys and Girls"..." President John F Kennedy has been shot"...i stayed in the hall for a while, then delivered the Box and returned to the 5 th grade...I could Tell it was SERIOUS....

It was the first time that i could recall that the normal TV schedule was interrupted for 3 days... With specials, news reports, and funeral services....I too WAS watching, during the transfer of the 'accused assassin' when the man with the Hat, stepped forward and shot the prisoner right in the belly... WE could SEE the grimace on the face of Oswald, as he went down... quite dramatic..
3 years later i would start High School at the newly built and named, John F Kennedy High School in Westchester...NY
It was within the NY City Archdiocese and On the Day of the Dedication, (actually a few years later, '69 or so,,,,) for the school , Jackie Bouvier Kennedy and the Arch Bishop, were in attendance...I saw her step out of the limousine 20 feet from where i was standing on the sidewalk.

Amazon..... I Too have OFTEN wondered,, just where this country would have been,, had JFK remained alive and continued serving as P O T U S ....[:/]
....Might very well have been... Camelot!!

Real hard to believe it was 47 Years ago.. wow

jmy

Standing at the corner of Industrial Blvd. and I-35 in Dallas to watch the Presidential procession go by. Well, they went by but at a high rate of speed heading to Parkland Hospital. Nobody in the crowd knew what was going on but some thought they were pissed off at the "tomatoes" that had been thrown at the car and were heading to Love Field to leave the city. :(

The older I get the less I care who I piss off.

I was also in an elementary school class and the teacher began crying, and it took her a while to compose herself.

I still wonder what the world would be like now had he not been assasinated that day. I know my life would have been far different because I doubt I would have lost those I did in SE Asia[:/][:/]

Unfortunately, the course of alternate histories is pretty much unknowable.

I remember that they gathered some of the classes in the library for some reason. A lot of the teachers were in tears. Most of us kids were blissfully unaware of the gravity of what happened. But, I remember seeing one of my friends who's family had escaped from Cuba. He was devastated. I realized then that something very serious happened and I distinctly remember havng a feeling of a loss of security for the first time.

BSBD,

Winsor

Don't be so sure. Kennedy was, after all, the dumb SOB who got us involved in that mess to begin with and wouldn't pull our troops out for "political considerations".
HAMMER:
Originally employed as a weapon of war, the hammer nowadays is used as a
kind of divining rod to locate the most expensive parts adjacent the
object we are trying to hit.

BSBD,

Winsor

Don't be so sure. Kennedy was, after all, the dumb SOB who got us involved in that mess to begin with and wouldn't pull our troops out for "political considerations".

Quite the contrary.. Kennedy believed in COIN and using SF as well as advisors. He did not want to expand the war into what it bacame later under Johnson and his micromanagement by those in his administration.
He had lost confidence in Diem and the CIA was all over replacing the inept despot. Had he not been killed the war would have gone far differently.

Most of his memorial is based on the romantic ideal of
"what could have been" without any actual proof.
There are many instances of celebrities that we romanticize because they died at the peak of their careers, before reality set in.

While "good intentions", his social programs were largely failures that were gutted by his own party over the years.

A presidency is the composite of many programs.

>We raised cattle, and hunted for our food, so death was part of our
>lives...I just didn't get it, why it upset people so much!

Perhaps because some people see the murder of a human being as a much more tragic event than the shooting of a deer?

>We raised cattle, and hunted for our food, so death was part of our
>lives...I just didn't get it, why it upset people so much!

Perhaps because some people see the murder of a human being as a much more tragic event than the shooting of a deer?

You just can;t pass up that chance to sound "superior" can you?

I make an Honest childhood memory, you try and Belittle it...You are no better than any poster here, just because you are Green, you love to belittle people..IMO//Lets see my post stand...My bet is, it is pulled!

Your childish slam , Doesn't change the fact that at that age, I had delt with Death many times, and had caused it many times, so I did not understand why so emany were upset..

Is your job as a "mod" to try and make posters look bad?[:/]

>you try and Belittle it.. . .no better than any poster here, . . .you love to
>belittle people.. . . Your childish slam . . .

Wow, didn't know you'd get so angry when I answered your question. Did you not want a reply?

>I had delt with Death many times, and had caused it many times, so I
>did not understand why so emany were upset..

Hmm. Had anyone you knew died at that point? (Feel free to not answer if it makes you too angry.)

The worse part is, due to your comment, My whole point was lost, Country kids grew up killing every day, we raised cattle.sheep, pigs, then killed them, we lost touch with the "fact" of life, killing became easy, and easy to accept...

It took me many years to grasp how most felt about killing and death!

Not because we were twisted, or evil, simply because it was part of survival...

Wow, didn't know you'd get so angry when I answered your question. Did you not want a reply?

Hmm. Had anyone you knew died at that point? (Feel free to not answer if it makes you too angry.)

Many, I was an Orphan, death was a major part of my life!

BTW, since you feel the need to Puff your chest...Yes, I was orphaned at 2...

Not that simple.

Ho Chi Minh and Vo Nguyen Giap fought with honor alongside us against the Japanese, with assurance from Roosevelt that self-determination would be theirs after victory was achieved.

Truman, OTOH, chose to keep the Japanese on as administrators until the French could get around to re-establishing domination over Indochina. Those who collaborated with the Japanese were rewarded and remained in power, and those who fought and died with us remained bainshed to the hills.

The French used the Foreign Legion to maintain order; the Legion, being made up of non-French nationals who are skilled at fighting and have reason to disappear, were heavily populated with war criminals from the recent conflict in Europe. Read "SS."

Thus, the troops defeated at Dien Bien Phu by the Viet Minh were largely the worst sort of Nazis (the real McCoy).

Thus, it was Truman who turned his back on staunch allies (the Vietnamese Constitution is still a near-carbon copy of the U.S. variant), leaving them at the mercy of a series of people against whom we had just defeated, many of whom were guilty of unspeakable atrocities.

Kennedy had his own basis for a claim to mediocrity, and the facade was beginning to fail when he was assassinated and beatified. Had he survived his first term, his legacy would be quite different.

In short, he made for a great martyr, but was at best a middling president.

BSBD,

Winsor

Agreed. Our involvement in SE Asia escalated during his years while he had every opportunity to get us the hell out. Wars are best averted at the beginning.
HAMMER:
Originally employed as a weapon of war, the hammer nowadays is used as a
kind of divining rod to locate the most expensive parts adjacent the
object we are trying to hit.

Agreed. Our involvement in SE Asia escalated during his years while he had every opportunity to get us the hell out. Wars are best averted at the beginning.

Barbara Tuchman was scathing in her criticism of Kennedy's SE Asia policy.

Kennedy had the recommendation of Generals S. L. A. Marshall and James M. Gavin that we should disengage militarily at the very least; that the conflict was unwinnable and that we were not on the side of the angels. Kennedy's decision was that he would wait until after the 1964 elections to withdraw, because the lives of troops for whom he was responsible was less important than his re-election prospects.

Once he was dead, Johnson was obsessed with not being the first American president to lose a war. Pitted against General Giap, Johnson was outclassed coming and going. Johnson stated "I don't want no DinBinFoo," but he got Khe Sanh and Tet anyway.

Had we welcomed the Viet Minh as allies in 1945, things may have been better - but we do have rather a knack for screwing the pooch.

BSBD,

Winsor