UAE Court: Okay to Beat Wife and Kids

Well, at least they're aboveboard about it.

Story on Chicken Noodle News

Yeah here its just the dirty little secret... of "you gotta pop her in the mouth to keep her in line" crew.>:(>:(

I think that is sanctioned in the Bible for good Jews and Christians men.

I don't remember Jesus saying anything about beating anyone (New Testament, not Old, once again).

Edit to add: This also represents state sanctioning of abuse. What about the separation of mosque and state? Oh yeah, I forgot - the mosque IS the state out here.

mh
"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."

>I don't remember Jesus saying anything about beating anyone
>(New Testament, not Old, once again).

=============
Matthew 10: 34-36 -

Do not think that I have come to bring peace upon the earth. I have come to bring not peace but the sword. For I have come to set a man against his father, a daughter against her mother, and a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law, and one's enemies will be those of his household.
=============
Matthew 10:21 -

And the brother shall deliver up the brother to death, and the father the child: and the children shall rise up against their parents, and cause them to be put to death.
=============
Luke 12:47-48:

That servant who knows his master's will and does not get ready or does not do what his master wants will be beaten with many blows. But the one who does not know and does things deserving punishment will be beaten with few blows. From everyone who has been given much, much will be demanded; and from the one who has been entrusted with much, much more will be asked.
===========

from Wiki:

In the United States and all African and most Asian nations, "spanking," "whipping," "smacking," or "slapping" by parents is currently legal; it is also legal to use certain implements such as a belt or paddle

So in the US you can beat your kids. In UAE they added the wife. Are you really claiming the moral high ground, because the wife is excluded in the US?

>I don't remember Jesus saying anything about beating anyone
>(New Testament, not Old, once again).

=============
Matthew 10: 34-36 -

Do not think that I have come to bring peace upon the earth. I have come to bring not peace but the sword. For I have come to set a man against his father, a daughter against her mother, and a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law, and one's enemies will be those of his household.
=============
Matthew 10:21 -

And the brother shall deliver up the brother to death, and the father the child: and the children shall rise up against their parents, and cause them to be put to death.
=============
Luke 12:47-48:

That servant who knows his master's will and does not get ready or does not do what his master wants will be beaten with many blows. But the one who does not know and does things deserving punishment will be beaten with few blows. From everyone who has been given much, much will be demanded; and from the one who has been entrusted with much, much more will be asked.
===========

These are all parables; they are symbolic, not literal as the Old Testament was.

mh

>These are all parables; they are symbolic, not literal as the Old
>Testament was.

Old Testament:

===========
Deuteronomy 22:20

If, however, the charge is true and no proof of the girl's virginity can be found, she shall be brought to the door of her father's house and there the men of her town shall stone her to death. She has done a disgraceful thing in Israel by being promiscuous while still in her father's house. You must purge the evil from among you.
===========
Leviticus 21:9

If a priest's daughter defiles herself by becoming a prostitute, she disgraces her father; she must be burned in the fire.
===========

Well, at least they're aboveboard about it.

Story on Chicken Noodle News

Yeah here its just the dirty little secret... of "you gotta pop her in the mouth to keep her in line" crew.>:(>:(

I think that is sanctioned in the Bible for good Jews and Christians men.

Hi Amazingracie',
As Rusty Warren (an she's a girl by the way) usedta' say,"MEN!!! Do you beat your wife????,Why, Hell every time!!!"

Too bad Rusty never got into Skydivin'. (Back in da' daze of round chutes and downwind accuracy!!) 'Would love ta' have heard her version of "Cardinal Puff!!"
SCR-2034, SCS-680

III%,
Deli-out

>These are all parables; they are symbolic, not literal as the Old
>Testament was.

Old Testament:

===========
Deuteronomy 22:20

If, however, the charge is true and no proof of the girl's virginity can be found, she shall be brought to the door of her father's house and there the men of her town shall stone her to death. She has done a disgraceful thing in Israel by being promiscuous while still in her father's house. You must purge the evil from among you.
===========
Leviticus 21:9

If a priest's daughter defiles herself by becoming a prostitute, she disgraces her father; she must be burned in the fire.
===========

That's exactly what I mean. Jesus *always* spoke in parables. Mosaic law isn't parables - it's very specific, and brutal.

Edit to add: People tend to see the Bible as monolithic and must be accepted in toto (like the unholy koran), but it isn't. The Old Testament is retained out of respect for history more than anything else, IMO.

mh

> Jesus *always* spoke in parables. Mosaic law isn't parables - it's
>very specific, and brutal.

So to sum up:

The New Testament is all parable, and thus not to be taken literally when Jesus calls for beating someone.

The Old Testament is literal but very old, and thus not to be taken seriously when it calls for killing women.

The Koran must be taken "in toto" and interpreted literally and seriously when it says anything bad.

> Jesus *always* spoke in parables. Mosaic law isn't parables - it's
>very specific, and brutal.

So to sum up:

The New Testament is all parable, and thus not to be taken literally when Jesus calls for beating someone.

The Old Testament is literal but very old, and thus not to be taken seriously when it calls for killing women.

The Koran must be taken "in toto" and interpreted literally and seriously when it says anything bad.

There you go again with that rhetoric stuff. :P

I said that Jesus spoke in parables.

The Old Testament law does not apply - Jesus himself cleared the chessboard. That's why he was executed - because he was a revolutionary and was upsetting the status quo, especially with respect to Mosaic law.

Actually, he upset everyone, including the people who expected him to be the leader who would liberate them from Roman occupation.

The unholy koran itself says that it must be taken as a whole, and that it is perfect and cannot be altered or ignored under pain of death.

In today's world, even Jainists don't walk around butt-nekkid like they did in earlier times, but that doesn't mean that they abandon all their precepts. Nor can they cherry-pick them. In order to coexist with the modern world, they must change, and they have. The islamists refuse to change, and that is the primary source of friction between their 8th-Century philosophy and the modern world. The islamic extremists not only won't change and modernize, they want to drag the rest of us back to the Stone Age with them. They won't succeed, of course, because we won't let them, aside from the PC BS that gives them an opportunity to try.

And the point I was making is that this philosophy of mindless brutality in the UAE has the state's blessing, and is symptomatic of other aspects of Arab culture that make it so out of step with the modern world.

And while we're on the topic - is this judgemental? Yes, I think it is. Furthermore, I believe our society is far better than theirs will ever be. I believe that is because our culture and society have a willingness to self-analyze, and self-criticize, and be introspective. These are absent over there, as this UAE law illustrates very well.

The Arabs think they're being progressive when they don't flog women in public.

mh

And most Americans probably have an objection to parents hitting their kids in public. As long as it is contained to in the house or school (as allowed by the supreme court) they don't have a problem with it though.

Why are you claiming the moral high ground on this issue? Are women more valuable than children?

(CNN) -- A court in the United Arab Emirates says a man is permitted under Islamic law to physically discipline his wife and children as long as he leaves no marks and has tried other methods of punishment, the country's top court ruled.

I think most fundlementalist christian's like the idea of knocking their kids around a bit, something about "spare the rod, spoil the child." Just don't leave a mark.

A Christian trying to say how barbaric Muslims are is a bit like a herorin addict telling a crackhead that he's a junkie.

In Los Angeles, a man is legally entitled to beat his wife with a leather belt or strap, but the belt can't be wider than 2 inches, unless he has his wife's consent to beat her with a wider strap.
"One day, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching."

Dudeist Skydiver #101

And most Americans probably have an objection to parents hitting their kids in public. As long as it is contained to in the house or school (as allowed by the supreme court) they don't have a problem with it though.

Why are you claiming the moral high ground on this issue? Are women more valuable than children?

This. I suspect Mr. Harju is a proponent of corporal punishment of children, he just saw this as an opportunity to again scream that all muslims are animals.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

>The Old Testament law does not apply - Jesus himself cleared the
>chessboard.

John 14:15: "If you love Me, keep My commandments."

Matthew 5:17: "Do not think that I came to destroy the Law or the Prophets. I did not come to destroy but to fulfill. For assuredly, I say to you, till heaven and earth pass away, one jot or one tittle will by no means pass from the law till all is fulfilled. Whoever therefore breaks one of the least of these commandments, and teaches men so, shall be called least in the kingdom of heaven; but whoever does and teaches them, he shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven."

>The unholy koran itself says that it must be taken as a whole

So does the Bible. Matthew 5 again: "For assuredly, I say to you, till heaven and earth pass away, one jot or one tittle will by no means pass from the law till all is fulfilled."

>The islamists refuse to change . . .

I know a lot of Muslims. They don't beat their wives or cut people's hands off or yell "allahu akbar!" as they blow themselves up. They work hard, stay late at night to finish their work, drive home to their house in the suburbs, fight with their kids over eating their vegetables and go to the beach on the weekends.

In other words, they're pretty much like everyone else - although you wouldn't think that if all you watch is Fox News.

>The Arabs think they're being progressive when they don't flog women in public.

And Christians claim they're superior to that as long as they beat their children where no one can see them.

In Los Angeles, a man is legally entitled to beat his wife with a leather belt or strap, but the belt can't be wider than 2 inches, unless he has his wife's consent to beat her with a wider strap.

Oh yeah? Well, in Kingsville, Texas there is a law against two pigs having sex on the city's airport property. Top that.

This coming from the religion where your top guy the voice of god on the planet has helped and abided child fuckers????????

Dude you hate Muslims so much move, or learn to read and have perspective.

What’s the morals of someone who constantly spews hate, And shows such a degrading out look on muslims? These are the people you are supposedly there “to help” right?

I hope your not in PR Dep.
:S

I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." - Kurt Cobain