RonD1120

Called to Love the Gay Community

The pathological view of sexuality espoused by Christianity in general,....

BSBD,

Winsor

You lost me on that one.

The beleif that a person "chooses" to be gay and has the abiilty to change through prayer. This dispite the overwhelming evidence to the contrary, but then some people would rather base their beleifs not on science but religion. (Spiritual truth is discerned from obedience to the Divine Creator not from rational intellectual understanding.)

Correcto mundo!

I'm just curious at what age you made your choice to be a hetrosexual? From what I understand you did not become a Christian until after your teens, so perhaps during your teens you could have gone either way? You have stated you made alot of bad choices before becoming a Christian so perrhaps gay sex was one of them. Do you still have to make a conscious choice each day on what sex you prefer.

It's the climate of hostility and negativity that Christians such as your self foster towards Gays, that cause the suicide of countless children every year.

I'm just curious at what age you made your choice to be a hetrosexual? From what I understand you did not become a Christian until after your teens, so perhaps during your teens you could have gone either way? You have stated you made alot of bad choices before becoming a Christian so perrhaps gay sex was one of them. Do you still have to make a conscious choice each day on what sex you prefer.

It's the climate of hostility and negativity that Christians such as your self foster towards Gays, that cause the suicide of countless children every year.

Male genitalia and female genitalia are complementary. The choice is obvious in normal circumstances. The choice for me was not with what kind but when. Sex has not been that big a deal for me. As a young man in the military I choose sport parachuting and/or alcohol over sex every time. Now at 68 I'd rather eat bar-b-que and take a nap.

Homosexuals are a product of abnormal circumstances, the nature versus nurture argument.

The Bible states that homosexuality is a sin, as are many activities. Everyone has to choose not to sin. Committing sins are easy, choosing not to takes sincere effort. Most folks I know, including me, do not make the choice to change their behavior until it costs them dearly.

If you keep doing what you've always done, you will keep getting what you've always got.

Sin can and will be forgiven and life will be restored when you, and I, choose obedience to God's Word.

I have never in my life condoned hostility toward homosexuals. I have never known a Christian who was hostile toward homosexuals.

I am a member of the Patriot Guard Riders to make a stand against the Westboro Baptist Church. I do not consider them hostile but grossly disrespectful.

I do not understand your inference to child suicide. Did you mean adolescent suicide?

As a professional you should understand that responsibility for suicide rests with the person committing it. No one can cause another person to do anything. Again, it is personal choice.

Life is tough. Do you and I take personal responsibility for our actions or do we blame others for our dysfunctional behavior?

I choose to take personal responsibility. I try to help others struggling with that choice. I do not condone sin just to make someone feel comfortable for the moment.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

Male genitalia and female genitalia are complementary. The choice is obvious in normal circumstances. The choice for me was not with what kind but when. Sex has not been that big a deal for me. As a young man in the military I choose sport parachuting and/or alcohol over sex every time. Now at 68 I'd rather eat bar-b-que and take a nap.

Homosexuals are a product of abnormal circumstances, the nature versus nurture argument.

The Bible states that homosexuality is a sin, as are many activities. Everyone has to choose not to sin. Committing sins are easy, choosing not to takes sincere effort. Most folks I know, including me, do not make the choice to change their behavior until it costs them dearly.

If you keep doing what you've always done, you will keep getting what you've always got.

Sin can and will be forgiven and life will be restored when you, and I, choose obedience to God's Word.

I have never in my life condoned hostility toward homosexuals. I have never known a Christian who was hostile toward homosexuals.

I am a member of the Patriot Guard Riders to make a stand against the Westboro Baptist Church. I do not consider them hostile but grossly disrespectful.

I do not understand your inference to child suicide. Did you mean adolescent suicide?

As a professional you should understand that responsibility for suicide rests with the person committing it. No one can cause another person to do anything. Again, it is personal choice.

Life is tough. Do you and I take personal responsibility for our actions or do we blame others for our dysfunctional behavior?

I choose to take personal responsibility. I try to help others struggling with that choice. I do not condone sin just to make someone feel comfortable for the moment.

When extreme segments of religion and society espouse that being gay or lesbian is a crime against nature and God will punish you, and that you are a freak and you should have control over who you are attracted to, alot of kids who are gay will kill them selves. This is a well known fact.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=98782569

I am not saying you personally condone violence against Gays, but conservative Christians with their outdated, unscientific, and uninformed views make life a living hell for Gay children.

When extreme segments of religion and society espouse that being gay or lesbian is a crime against nature and God will punish you, and that you are a freak and you should have control over who you are attracted to, alot of kids who are gay will kill them selves. This is a well known fact.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=98782569

I am not saying you personally condone violence against Gays, but conservative Christians with their outdated, unscientific, and uninformed views make life a living hell for Gay children.

These are the signs of the end of times. Societies are changing but God's Word remains constant. When the majority i.e., conservative, liberal, Christian, Atheist, whatever, takes a stand against aberrant behavior, those who practice it are very uncomfortable. Just imagine how bad the pedophile feels.

My position is the preach the truth and help the captives get free from their personal bondage. I have worked with pedophiles as well as gays, substance abusers, those suffering with suicidal ideation and unrestrained mania.

I know how to find the path out of the woods. If you, or whomever, chooses to live in the woods there is nothing I can do.

The message of the OP was to help the LGBT community out of their bondage with love and compassion. I support that strategy and always have.

SC is a public forum. So here, I preach the truth as it is stated in God's Holy Word. The choice remains with the reader as to what they will do.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

The message of the OP was to help the LGBT community out of their bondage with love and compassion. I support that strategy and always have.

If the LGBT community is living in bondage it's because the christian community put them there, you dolt.
When are you going to realize that christians are the problem? Like I said earlier, if christians would get their heads out of their asses and treat people properly, the "gay problem" would dissappear.

These are the signs of the end of times.

Give me a fucking break.:S
"Science, logic and reason will fly you to the moon. Religion will fly you into buildings."
"Because figuring things out is always better than making shit up."

When are you going to realize that christians are the problem?

The gays and the anti-gays are both stoking the fire here and until both groups take a step back, nothing is going to change. Unless people on both sides of the fence start showing some respect towards others who are different from themselves, this shit is going to get worse before it gets better.

Not only am I sick of listening to the ultra religious preach about their spaghetti monster God, I am equally sick of listening to the "being gay is the preferred way to live" crowd. But now I am not showing much respect to both of these polar opposite groups. Oh well, being confused is par for the course when you are agnostic.

I will now step down from my soap box. :)

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

I am equally sick of listening to the "being gay is the preferred way to live" crowd.

I don't know of any gay people who say that. What they do say is that gay is what THEY are, and thus gay is the way THEY prefer to live. There's no insidious gay conspiracy trying to recruit straight people into a gay lifestyle.

Insightful.

Called to Love the Gay Community
by Ron Sider

"As most of us know, a huge gulf separates evangelical Christians and the gay/lesbian community. To a large extent because of our failures, they mistrust, despise, and are enormously hostile to evangelicals, viewing us as homophobic bigots."

http://www.esa-online.org/Article.asp?RecordKey=50A67964-3113-4E76-A4F0-A8423E8B7750

and your post just above:

In Reply To

These are the signs of the end of times.
Give me a fucking break.

No.

just demonstrates that you are actually the 'homophobic bigot' but just pretending to be something else.....kinda like most Christians.....

just demonstrates that you are actually the 'homophobic bigot' but just pretending to be something else.....kinda like most Christians.....

You are wrong. Apparently, you have difficulty comprehending what I post. That is my fault. If the student did not learn, the instructor failed to teach. Name calling only indicates the level of analytical prowess by the responder.

Note: The OP was in a positive vein. You and the other guy responded in negative PA's. Such behavior indicates a message beyond its words. FWIW.

Sorry Ron, I call it like i see it - I read your other posts too - and it is/was clear as a bell.....

The issue here is that you believe that anyone that disagrees with homosexuality is homophobic.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

more bigot than homophobic, but it is pretty obvious when people hide behind some other crap to try and sustain their argument(s)....

Again, I call it like I see it

Let me get this straight (No pun intended:ph34r:)

If someone disagrees with something, it makes you a bigot, as long as it is not something tkhayes disagrees with, then it is just the way it should be.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

I have never known a Christian who was hostile toward homosexuals.

I really wish I could say the same. I wish I didn't have to hear the filth that Christians were screaming at me and those I was with yesterday at the AIDS Walk. They were shouting terrible things at us, cursing at us in the name of Jesus.

We Walk to help those that are victims of an awful disease. I don't care if they got it from sex or what kind. I don't care if they got it from a needle, whether they were a drug user or a hospital nurse, or whether they were a child that got it from their mother. I don't care if they're gay or straight, male, female, adult, child, black, white, purple or green.

We walk to raise money because people are sick and need help. Seems like the Christian thing to do.

I have never known a Christian who was hostile toward homosexuals.

I really wish I could say the same. I wish I didn't have to hear the filth that Christians were screaming at me and those I was with yesterday at the AIDS Walk. They were shouting terrible things at us, cursing at us in the name of Jesus.

We Walk to help those that are victims of an awful disease. I don't care if they got it from sex or what kind. I don't care if they got it from a needle, whether they were a drug user or a hospital nurse, or whether they were a child that got it from their mother. I don't care if they're gay or straight, male, female, adult, child, black, white, purple or green.

We walk to raise money because people are sick and need help. Seems like the Christian thing to do.

I agree with your post and your socially active stand. Like you, I have seen people suffering and, in the beginning, dying from this terrible disease.

The behavior you describe from the Christian protesters can not be Scripturally justified. For those folks, their sin is ignorance of the righteous path of holiness. That understanding does not make it easier to tolerate their repulsive actions. I just understand them as I do most people.

I have been fortunate in my Christian walk not have been exposed to hostility within the church. I do not know why. Being raised in and living in the South you would think I would have.