Illicit Narcotics A "Victimless Crime" - NOT

i haven't seen any comparison of negative effects of alcohol immediately after prohibition , before , and now. i would guess per capita it would be comparable . as for your assertion that drug legalisation improving the current situation it's mere conjecture if you would be honest !

>as for your assertion that drug legalisation improving the current
>situation it's mere conjecture if you would be honest !

Well, it would undoubtedly:

-reduce crime (by definition)
-reduce the money that supports organized crime (by historical lesson)
-increase tax income

The other issues are:

-drug addiction. This would likely increase.
-research into/treatment for addiction. Would _probably_ increase.

>some crime might decrease . . .

No "might" about it. If you make smoking pot not a crime, crime decreases, by definition.

>but only at the expense of other crime increasing.

Right. And other crimes might decrease, too. But the direct effect is that crime decreases.

>as for the rest the law of unintended consequences will prevail !

Better not try to enforce the laws against illegal immigration more strongly, then! Something bad might happen. Law of unintended consequences and all.

Is it possible to become addicted to weed?
Seriously???
:S

Yes, some people do become addicted to weed, or at least psychologically dependent on it. The addiction is mild compared to say heroin or alcohol, very few (if any?) physical withdrawal symptoms.

I've known a few people who were addicted to it to the point that it was causing health problems and disrupting their lives. But I think that the majority of pot smokers do not become addicted to it.

Is it possible to become addicted to weed?
Seriously???
:S

Yes, some people do become addicted to weed, or at least psychologically dependent on it. The addiction is mild compared to say heroin or alcohol, very few (if any?) physical withdrawal symptoms.

I've known a few people who were addicted to it to the point that it was causing health problems and disrupting their lives. But I think that the majority of pot smokers do not become addicted to it.

I have heard of the psychologically dependent person,
in terms of depression. When trying to quit long term use,
the depression can be pretty tough for those people.

That said, almost anything that diverts the mind is used
to avoid depressing thought patterns. I know people
who use long-distance running to the same end, so the
relationship with pot isn't any more defined.

why is it that libs can't stay on topic ?
if you say it's legal to carry an ounce then crime for an ounce zeroes but the same amount of arrests for> 1 ounce as less occurs see the problem . it's impossible to predict accurately. does it interfere with a hidden agenda ?

>why is it that libs can't stay on topic ?

Hmm. No one else seems to have trouble following the conversation.

>if you say it's legal to carry an ounce then crime for an ounce zeroes but
>the same amount of arrests for> 1 ounce as less occurs see the problem
>it's impossible to predict accurately.

It is quite possible to predict accurately. If you make possession or smoking of pot legal, then people will not be arrested for possessing or smoking pot.

If enough people want to do it, just make it legal for christs sake huh......

kinda sounds like democracy huh?

Sure
go speed without a seat belt

see where that gets you
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

If enough people want to do it, just make it legal for christs sake huh......

kinda sounds like democracy huh?

Sure
go speed without a seat belt

see where that gets you

but do the majority of people want speeding without seatbelts to be legal or do the majority want it to be illegal? my personal opinion is irrelevant the opinion of the majority is what is relevant

for example in new hampshire the majority dont want mandatory seat belts, so they dont have it(or at least they didnt it might have changed)

OMG man.
Runners are adding to the decline of our society!!!!

It is true. All the long-term serious runners I know (and as a distance runner myself I know a lot of them) will admit they do it partially for the mood balancing effects of running.

Actual clinical studies show that exercise is just as effective as talk therapy or SSRIs in the treatment of mild to moderate depression.
"What if there were no hypothetical questions?"

I disagree. It is my belief that legalization will cause far more damage to society, and far more widespread misery than the current regime can presently imagine.

you can believe whatever you like but the facts show a different outcome

look at the drug habits of the dutch for a perfect example, they ahve some of the lowest drug use in the developed world but some of the most relaxed laws. funny that isnt it?

they have the highest percentage of 'functional addicts' when it comes to heroin because of their system of treatment

what you have is baseless hysteria from close minded individuals who couldnt look at anything impartially

usually when you grow up you start to see that things arent as black and white as you thought they were when you were a teenager this dosnt seem to have happened in your case

I've been waiting for someone to use the Dutch as an example.

It's not as simple as you think, and things aren't as rosy in Amsterdam as you think they are.

Furthermore, what works for a tiny country on the edge of Europe won't necessarily work when scaled up to an enormous country like the US.

mh
"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."

It's not as simple as you think, and things aren't as rosy in Amsterdam as you think they are.

so please correct me and show me the error of my ways with facts and figures?

Furthermore, what works for a tiny country on the edge of Europe won't necessarily work when scaled up to an enormous country like the US.

i know its a hard concept to grasp for you americans but great education FOR ALL and great treatment FOR ALL will work no matter how large the sample size

anyway even if there is a chance it wont work, isnt better to try it then to stay with the current system which is clearly not working at all in the slightest

Anyway even if there is a chance it wont work, isnt better to try it then to stay with the current system which is clearly not working at all in the slightest.

Nope, there are people who would rather watch the world burn than admit they don't have the right to impose their morality on others.
Peace, love and hoppiness

Anyway even if there is a chance it wont work, isnt better to try it then to stay with the current system which is clearly not working at all in the slightest.

Nope, there are people who would rather watch the world burn than admit they don't have the right to impose their morality on others.

Rehab and confinement are our two biggest industries.

We need to outsource our prison system to Mexico
and the rehab to Canada.
That way, ridiculously costly and ineffectual programs won't so costly, just stupid and ludicrous.