btwitche1975

Fear

Fear is a normal God given emotion to let you know you are engaged in some type of situation that is out of your normal mode of operation and that you could experience pain (emotional or physical) of some sort.
There is no shame in fear, only in letting it paralyze you. Admitting to fear does not make you a loser, it is a step to winning. Fear can be a simple healthy respect for a hazardous situation. Do not focus on the fear or the sensations it brings. Focus instead on your training and trust in your ability to handle the dive.
JJ

"Call me Darth Balls"

I had a problem with fear too for my first 8 or 10 jumps. I would daydream all week about jumping and then on the ride up fear would kick in and I'd begin to wonder why I kept putting myself thru it. When the jump was over, the fear was gone and I was dying to go back up. After the 10th jump or so that stopped and I got comfortable with the ride up. I still get butterflies on the first ride up after a 3 or more week layoff, but after the climbout, everything is great. I would imagine that time and experience will put the fear completely behind us.

Fear is good. It means you are not crazy and will keep you safe. I still have an existential moment in the door every so often.
---------------------------------------------------------------
There is a fine line between 'hobby' and 'mental illness'.
--Dave Barry

For what it is worth here is my 2 cents...

Yep, fear usually goes with parachuting!

Before my first, second, and third tandems had to hit the bathroom...during AFF the strong sense of fear was also there but it did not make me have to shit 3 times in a row.

Between jump #13 and #14 there was 3 months due to a motorcycle wreck. Jump #14 there was noticeably less fear, probably because I was just so damn glad to be back in the air.

Between jump #30 and #80 there were times when I would be riding up in the plane, scared, wondering why in the fuck am I doing this? It is expensive, time consuming, and I am surrounded by assholes.

Now after 1400 jumps I am one of the assholes and the amount of fear I feel is related to the type of jump I am doing. Example, on tandems I have 2 people's lives in my hands, on speciality jumps I realize there is extra risk, etc.

Your comment about being over-analytical....that is actually great in the long run, it will make you continue to think about things when some jumpers with less brains have forgotten it. In the short run it can make you over complicate things.

As people above have said --- the BEST thing you can do before a jump is relax. Some of my teachers taught me about breathing slowly and deeply before exit and it really helped me, hence I do it with my passengers and students.

Remember man it is all about having fun, and for some of being scared is fun;)
Rigger, Skydiver, BASE Jumper, Retired TM

When I was a student I had issues with too much adrenaline and anxiety before my jumps. I did a kind of bastard cross between static line and AFF training as AFF was very new when I started jumping.

If your DZ will allow it, find out if you can do "Observer" rides. An observer ride is where you ride the plane up, watch what is going on, then ride the plane back down. Observer rides cost me one experienced jumper jump ticket. For me, this burned off a lot of adrenaline and greatly decreased my anxiety. The decreased adrenaline and anxiety greatly improved my performance on AFF jumps. No more repeats, at all. It might do the same for you. Paying for one jump ticket was a lot cheaper than paying to repeat an AFF jump.

YMMV

Hello Everyone.
I'm new to Skydiving. First Jump was about two months ago and I am currently scheduled to do my third AFF jump next weekend.

Every jump I have made has gone very well up to this point, and I have had a great time on every one of them. I love this sport and I can't imagine ever giving it up.

My problem appears to be that I have read so much into the technical & training side of the sport that I end up making myself terrified before every jump. From my experience the training material tends to revolve around how not to buy the farm and that tends to shift my focus from enjoying the sport to surviving it (an obvious thing).;) The fear only lasts up to the point where I approach the door and then it all goes away and my focus takes over. I have never felt scared or paranoid at the door or after an exit. I have been ultra conservative with my progression. Before my first AFF jump I flew five minutes in a tunnel, and after my second I flew fifteen. I have read and understood almost the entire SIM and many of the safety articles on this website (canopy skills, turbulence, exit separation etc...). I even watched every mal video I could find just to get a better idea of what a real one looks like in the sky and how more experience skydivers deal with them.

All of my instructors say things are going well but I end up biting my nails all week.

I know this is a dangerous sport and I completely accept and understand the risks and consequences that go with it. I just want to become an educated skydiver without fraying my nerves.Am I doing more harm than good by trying to learn too much?

Should I put the books & articles down & just focus on what my instructors have to say?

Is being way too analytical a bad trait in this sport? (I can't help it I'm an Engineer) and if so: Fuck!!

If anybody else has experienced this dilemma please give me some advice.

Rock On and Thanks:)
Oh yea, I started to read the master rigger training courses too.:$

Talking about fear....
First I did 3 tandems and I loved all of them. So I wanted more a asked for AFF 1, just to try.
I did my AFF 1, was good, except for landing out. So I decided to take the course, because I love the feeling. Due to weather conditions (Belgium), I could not jump for several weeks. But went back for level 2: passed, but landed out again. Up again for level 3: failed it twice and still have to do it over again (third time). Too tensed in freefall. But this is not really my problem. On every jump I land out. Safe (except once), but never on the DZ. Seems like I have a canopy control problem. And I don't see how to fix this. Now my problem: since my last jump (out again of course), I have this enormous fear I will never get my landings right. I see (on most jumps) the DZ, but I don't steer the canopy. Immediatley I start looking for a safe place to land instead of heading back to the DZ. So I do see where the problem is, but now I've got this fear of doing it again. Getting out of the door is not really the issue, but at that time, I'm already thinking of landing. Probably the reason why I'm so cramped during freefall.
I don't expect any direct solutions, I will have to do this myself I guess. It's already been 5 weeks since my last jump and the fear is only growing. Guess my instructor is thinking he will never see me again.
So, just wanted to say this here. Maybe someone recognizes some of my issues.

Encouragements would be welcome.

Sarah.

Between jump #30 and #80 there were times when I would be riding up in the plane, scared, wondering why in the fuck am I doing this? It is expensive, time consuming, and I am surrounded by assholes.

Surrounded by assholes? [:/]

Sarah,
During my AFF, I landed out more often than not, and while I never landed off-airport, I saw several folks that did during AFF. Bear in mind that while on student status, you're probably riding under a large, fat (safer) canopy, which likely doesn't have great control. After my AFF, I jumped a number of canopies, and it was great to eventually settle in on a canopy that I eventually bought (used) and now can virtually always land where I want to land unless winds are really strong.
My daughter had challenges with her AFF 4 and 5, but eventually passed it. She's thrilled to be jumping on her own at 19.
She also couldn't stand up her first jumps. Know why? Because before every jump she focused on not standing it, and focused on not landing in the target area. She focused on falling without pain, and on how bad the hike back to the DZ is. Once she quit thinking about landing on her butt and focused on landing in the target area instead...she stood it and hit it every time.
How do we avoid obstacles? Ignore them. (Don't look at them)
Ask your instructor for some "marker" points for your approach, and at what altitude you should be striving for at each of the marker points. Eventually you'll develop your own visual markers for landings. And eventually you won't need markers, it will be a "feel" thing.
You're not failing if you're still trying. You only fail when you quit. If you keep trying, you're simply learning all the ways you shouldn't do something.
My favorite thing to tell people that think I'm good at what I do is to tell them, "I'm not good, I've just learned all the ways to not do something." I've also attempted more things in my life and failed than most folks ever attempt, period. I'm really good at screwing up, but I eventually get it right.

Smile and pull....;)

I just want to become an educated skydiver without fraying my nerves.Am I doing more harm than good by trying to learn too much?

Should I put the books & articles down & just focus on what my instructors have to say?

Is being way too analytical a bad trait in this sport?

Though I'm not an engineer, I am a very introverted and analytical type myself, so I understand a lot about where you're coming from, as people like us can tend to let things prey on our minds.

Nothing wrong with a little book learnin' either, but with a few cautions. Facts, figures, and intellectual comprehension will not help you with the fear issues. Fear is not an intellectual thing, it's your body and mind telling you it doesn't want to die. I think the actual intensity of the fear takes some people by surprise. They "know" skydiving is dangerous (as opposed to unsafe, but that's for other forums...) and they've made an intellectual decision to go and do it because they're satisfied it can be done safely, it looks really beautiful, and they've probably wanted to do it all their lives and used to jump out of trees when they were kids.

But you get in the airplane and it takes off and you start looking out the window and realizing that THIS time you're going to LEAVE the plane and you'll be FALLING and the little "I don't want to die" voice inside goes batshit. You get dry mouthed with fear, because you've actually come up against the full realization of what it is you're about to do. Then the door opens and you can both feel and hear the wind whipping by as you watch the landscape 2 1/2 miles below. That's when part of you screams "FUUUUCCKKK !!!" inside.

All you can do is jump and jump and jump. The fear will never completely go away, but it will get smaller and smaller and recede into the back of your brain. In a while you'll be laughing along with all the farting and rude sexual jokes that are going on around you on the ride up.

I think of fear as "Vitamin F". It's an essential part of your diet. As long as it doesn't rule you, it will keep you honest and focused. It can be your friend, and like any good friend you should respect and listen to it, but not let it run your life.

Oh yeah, as for the book learning and studying, maybe ease up for just a bit. It won't help with the emotional fear issues. Your instructors need to keep it simple for now, so they're spoon feeding you what you need to know. Very soon you should be able to dive right back into the books. I'm even hoping with a little luck you might be the next Bill Booth and invent some really cool shit that will save lives. But there's a real case to be made against getting ahead of yourself until you're a little more comfy in the air - and you can't get that from a book.

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

I found that the key word in AFF progress is = relax!

I went from stiff as a board, grim face, heartbeat 200+ to solo in one day, after realising I was the only guy on board the plane NOT having fun. For my next jump after that (curled up rolling exit) I let out a loud "Yeeeehaaa" and let go of the stress. Later that day i had a perfect solo jump and enjoyed every second of it.

Just remember, all AFF level exercises aside, if u jump....open...land without incident... thats all that is required at this stage. Have fun ;P

First, jump more often.

Secondly, stop over-intellectualizing skydiving. All that book learning is nice, but if you focus too much on malfunctions - negative stuff - you will suffer malfunctions.
On the other hand, if you focus your thoughts on the perfect skydive, you will step out of the airplane and have perfect skydives.
In other words, learn to channel your fear into a good arch, glancing at your altimeter and other positive actions. Then you will be too busy skydiving correctly to feel fear.

"If you can solve your problem, then what is the need of worrying? If you cannot solve it, then what is the use of worrying?" Shantideva

I am also an overthinking engineer. I started with a tandem jump so that I could just enjoy the ride. I then started the AFF program and have passed Category A and B on the first try. My next jump is Category C where I will jump and fall without assistance :D. I am not afraid when I jump but nervous (I can't screw up because I can't afford to repeat, I know bad thinking but ...) I am also new so my advice is worth half a grain of salt.

Study malfunctions, practice emergency procedures, repeat ...

Study dives, practice dives, repeat ... (Use a stopwatch to give an accurate time frame of a dive, don't practice in 25 seconds what you will be doing in 55 seconds.)

Then relax, watch other jumpers (this helps).

It may also help as an engineer to review the statistics. (The odds are low and lower if you know what you are doing and are conservative of which most students are.)

Before my jumps my AFF-I asks me what is the most important thing to remember on the jump. The answer is HAVE FUN. (Although this may not be true when it comes to safety it is meant to let you know to relax, you are suppose to enjoy the jump.)

Do you do any other activities that are deemed "dangerous"? Just asking because as you get used to these "dangerous" situations the fear will subside and the fun will take over (you can lose the fear but don't get rid of the respect, gravity deserves it).
"That looks dangerous." Leopold Stotch

"If you can solve your problem, then what is the need of worrying? If you cannot solve it, then what is the use of worrying?" Shantideva

Ohhhhh...I love that quote! :)
Hope you don't mind if I steal it. Reminds me of one of my favorites that my grandmother said. "Worry is like paying interest on a loan you may not take out."

I tell that to my wife (the chronic worrier, married to a newbie skydiver) all the time. Trouble is, she usually hits me when I say that... B|

Steve
The definition of insanity is to keep doing things the same way, but then to expect different results. -Einstein

I know that what I thought was fear was actually adrenaline pumping through me confusing my senses. Now that I know the difference I am learning to enjoy that feeling, the exit scared me on the first couple of jumps, the last one I did the exit was the most exciting part!!B|

I know that what I thought was fear was actually adrenaline pumping through me confusing my senses. Now that I know the difference I am learning to enjoy that feeling, the exit scared me on the first couple of jumps, the last one I did the exit was the most exciting part!!B|

Reminds me of a line from that really bad movie "Armageddon". As they are getting ready to launch the space shuttle, one oil rigger said "Its like 90% fear and 10% excitement; or maybe its 90% excitement and 10% fear. That's what makes it so intense".

The only good part of that movie...

Steve
The definition of insanity is to keep doing things the same way, but then to expect different results. -Einstein

I always thought that the best part of the movie was when he said -

" You realize that we are sitting on 60,000 pounds of explosives with 3,000 moving parts built by the lowest bidder."

As for the fear it does start turning into excitement and that is when you have more fun. My instructors kept telling me that when I was done doing the maneuvers on the training dives. and I looked up at him he would give me a thumbs up and instantly I would go into a better stable position because I was then having fun in the air. Soon I was just having fun and the fear turned into excitement. Everything came together.

"Falling is the easy part, Landing smoothly is the most importent part!
-DJ Mike

That sounds about right for my student dives right now. I am nervous to complete everything in the dive, once finished I give my instructor the thumbs up and all of a sudden I relax and become more stable until I have to pull. I keep thinking to myself that when I can be like that for the whole dive, the whole dive will go smoother. Until then I'll just keep throwing myself at the ground and hopefully keep missing. :P
"That looks dangerous." Leopold Stotch

Sorry, have not read the rest of the thread...

I got a reminder of what 'student fear' feels like recently on my first (and second, and third....) base jump. As much as you hate it at the time, you will really long for it when you get used to skydiving and treat is as just another weekend!

Once you can rationalise away the gear fear and realise 'it will open', you're only really scared of screwing a jump up, right? But, as long as you still land with a big grin, who cares! It isn't as safe a loafing around on your sofa watching daytime TV and getting fat (well, on that note, perhaps it's safer!) but it is a LOT safer than the public give it credit for.

Dare I say it, but screw the extra-cirricular education until post AFF and maybe post SkydiveU (or whatever you lot have over the pond). Your instructors will teach you what you need to know during AFF and coaches should look after you for a while after - especially if your paying for it. No point overloading yourself with info. AFF3? F*ck, I remember mine. I didn't pull on AFF2. The last thing I'd want then would be paragraphs of the SIM and all the random stuff i'd read coming up in my head!

That comes later. No need stocking up on all thse extra skills and knowledge until you're on your own and comfortable with the basics. With 2 jumps behind you, hammer those basics down - they'll keep you alive. Knowing all the details of every bit of safety advice ever offered will just make your head explode and will probably just confuse you - especially if you read it on dz.com! :P

Let the AFFIs worry at the mo! They say you're doing fine - trust them!

---------------------------------------
Ex-University of Bristol Skydiving Club
www.skydivebristoluni.com

As expected, everybody has his/her own view on the fear. So let me disclose mine.

At my DZ fear is not discussed, or has not been until I got there. I thought I was chicken because I was so scared on my first jump. So when I talk to the new jumpers I tell them so. I feel that by telling them that this is normal it will make it easier for them to accept the fear and concentrate on the important stuff, like "jump, arch..."

I have over 60 jumps now and I am still scared. The first jump not so much, the second one (of the day) I usually think (going up in a plane), that it would be better if I didn't do that, on the third jump I remind myself that I wasn't going to do it again, and so on.

I think we are all scared, especially in the plane. For me, as soon as I leave the plane, I am fine. No vertigo, no fear, just intense concentration.

And of course, tremendous triumph when I land safely on the ground. Not so much because I did well during the flight, but because I conquered the fear once more. I did not let it stop me doing what I love doing. Flying under the canopy for me is the ultimate.
I wish I did this earlier in my life. It made me realize that I am capable of a lot more than people around me would let me believe. Now that I jump no one dares tell me that something is to hard for me to do, like they used to.

For me conquering the fear is the greatest achievement in skydiving.

hey there!

i totally understand where you are coming from. Ive done 5 AFF jumps, im mad keen to become a good skydiver, but i suffer from incredible nerves. Like you i have read every bit of skydiving literature and watched every video/movie footage i can get my hands on. I also spend alot of time at the DZ talking to people and learning learning learning. I dont think its a bad thing, knowledge is no burden to carry providing you are able to focus on what is happening during your currnet jump. Picking up hints and tips, is always useful! I always check info with my instructors though..

With my nerves, they kick in for me at 20 minute call.. settle down once im in the plane and then come on when the red light goes on! Its at these times, when im shaking, my hands are sweaty and my stomach is a rock when i say to myself "what the HELL am i doing?". But then i do the jump, have a ball in freefall, deal with anything that crops up, i rock under canopy and have sweet landings. I come down wanting to do it again NOW! Its like a love-hate relationship, and of all the people ive spoken to, most skydivers have been here at some stage or other. They tell me that nerves will always be there, its just the levels that change, which comes with experience and confidence. The nerves and fear is all part of it, itd be pretty boring if there wasnt any nerves or excitement there.

Im learning to read my body and try to deal with the nerves (deep breaths, positive thoughts, visualise the perfect dive). I eat/drink as much as i can when im NOT nervous, so say after a jump (being hungry/dehyrated makes nerves so much worse) and be sure to be in tip top shape when jumping (i have grounded myself due to a hangover). I also chat to my instrctors about exactly how im feeling, they know their stuff and can help me deal with my nerves. If im antsy, and they know it, they know that they dont need to gee me up, but rather calm me down some!

and yes remember.. nerves keep you on your toes.. and will keep you safe. An experienced skydiver said to me that part of learning to skydive is learning not to let nerves control you!

FW

thats where i find myself, i have only jumped once(tandem), and im going again next wek to do a second tandem before i start my AFF program, and i find myself reading every damn forum on here aout malfunctions, or safety, and trying to find any video i can get my hands on that is about skydiving, or has something to do with it, and it doesnt help that i live with my mother and grandmother, and they are always saying that its a stupid and dangerous thing to do,and they are always saying that people are dying in the sport( i know they are just saying that shit , to get me scared so i wont do it any more), but i cant blame them, but on my first jump, i couldnt think/talk/even move(as you can see in my video), but i soon as my feet left that plane, all my worries were gone, and when i landed, couldnt wait to do it again, and now i find myself again a week or so before i go, getting nervous, and reading every damn thing i can find on skydiving!!, lol