dreamdancer

Israel used 'incredible violence' against Gaza aid flotilla

i was only obeying orders...

Israeli troops broke international law by storming an aid flotilla bound for Gaza, according to a UN inquiry, which found that the killings of activists on-board were comparable to "summary executions".

The sharply critical report found there was "clear evidence to support prosecutions" against Israel for "wilful killing" and torture committed in the raid on the flotilla on May 31. Nine activists on a Turkish ship were killed as they attempted to breach the Israeli naval blockade of Gaza.

"The conduct of the Israeli military and other personnel towards the flotilla passengers was not only disproportionate to the occasion but demonstrated levels of totally unnecessary and incredible violence," the report said.

"The circumstances of the killing of at least six of the passengers were in a manner consistent with an extralegal, arbitrary and summary execution," it added.

The 56-page report also said that the Israeli blockade was itself unlawful, because of the humanitarian crisis in Gaza, meaning Israel's claim that it was entitled to use force to defend the blockade should be dismissed.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/middleeast/israel/8019443/Israel-used-incredible-violence-against-Gaza-aid-flotilla-says-UN-Human-Rights-Council.html
stay away from moving propellers - they bite
blue skies from thai sky adventures
good solid response-provoking keyboarding

Oh, don't stop there. By all means include this paragraph too...

The investigation mounted by the Council has largely been superseded by a separate inquiry launched by Ban Ki-Moon, the UN secretary general, which has won the backing of the United States, Britain and much of the international community.
This investigation, which is being headed by Geoffrey Palmer, the former prime minister of New Zealand, has yet to report its findings.

Let them take both reports to The Hague and see how they stand up to scrutiny. I'm all for justice either way.

Wow, its quiet in here....

"clear evidence to support prosecutions" against Israel for "wilful killing" and torture committed in the raid on the flotilla on May 31.

It will never happen unfortunatly Israel will continue to commit such crimes against Palastinians and those who support human rights. Meanwhile the appologists will simply start banging on about Hamas rockets (Which I do not condone) whilst looking the other way when it comes to crimes commited by the state of Israel.
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

"clear evidence to support prosecutions" against Israel for "wilful killing" and torture committed in the raid on the flotilla on May 31.

It will never happen unfortunatly Israel will continue to commit such crimes against Palastinians and those who support human rights. Meanwhile the appologists will simply start banging on about Hamas rockets (Which I do not condone) whilst looking the other way when it comes to crimes commited by the state of Israel.

It's hard to sum it up better than the way you put it. It will be business as usual. We'll continue to wield the double standard and then get offended when someone calls us on it. War crimes are war crimes.

There's really no response to a report that is so obviously faulty, driven by political motivations.

If the Israelis meant to commit summary execution of the blockade runners, it would have occurred without IDF casualties, and it would have occurred on all boats.

Those behind this finding are fundamentally opposed to the blockade, and this bias precluded them from objective analysis.

There's really no response to a report that is so obviously faulty, driven by political motivations.

If the Israelis meant to commit summary execution of the blockade runners, it would have occurred without IDF casualties, and it would have occurred on all boats.

Those behind this finding are fundamentally opposed to the blockade, and this bias precluded them from objective analysis.

So as usual just because they disagree with your stance on Israel it must be a conspiracy and not the truth.
:S:S
Odd how we have report after report of abuse from Israel reported by independent none Arab none Muslim sources and yet that’s still not good enough.

Dude just come out of the closet already and admit that no matter what the facts are your supporting YOUR side even if they commit murder.
I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." - Kurt Cobain

Saw this report.

I am still waiting to see the other morally flexible members of Dz.com to jump in and try to defend Israel.

Apparently the UK, and Trinidad are also anti-Semitic that’s the only reason they would write such a report. ;)

:S:S

So as usual just because they disagree with your stance on Israel it must be a conspiracy and not the truth.

I see you had no response to the substance of my post. And we could of course go into the discussion about how flotilla participants went in with the intent to become martyrs.

I see you had no response to the substance of my post. And we could of course go into the discussion about how flotilla participants went in with the intent to become martyrs.

Oh - you mean intent to harm of the supposed victims is supposed to be a factor?
I would have thought that they could do no wrong.
How dare you hold them accountable for their own actions.>:(
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

In what way were the shootings comparable to summary execusions. Was there someone placed on their knees and shot in the back of the head? I wouldn't think folks bent on execusions would go in with pepperball launchers.

What torture?

disproportionate to the occasion but demonstrated levels of totally unnecessary and incredible violence

Being swarmed by a knife weilding mob is generally considered to be threat of deadly force, which a reasonable person would respond to with deadly force. By the way, what was the "incredible violence?" Did they stomp people into the deck? Did they stab someone thirty seven times? Were there random shots fired into a crowd of bystanders? Did one of the IDF soldier were a suicicde explaive vest and detonate it on the middle of a crowd?

If the HRC condemned Israel before and immediately after the flotilla boarding, howncan anyone claim they would be unbiased in an investigation? I'm interested to hear what the second investigation, the one that will consider all the evidence and all possible conclusions, will say.
witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

This report is yet another sad joke by the UN "human rights committee"

A simple look at the statistics shows that pretty much all of their actions/resolutions/meetings are against Israel, as if there are no other problems in the world...

This report was written long before anyone even looked at the evidence.
"Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero."

Things that make you go hmmmmmm

It's called a joke. And I'd really rather have you respond to this post if you've got something to say.

Thanks, I wasn't sure. When it comes to this topic some ridiculous stuff gets thrown in from time to time. I avoided Jeanne's link for that reason but clicked on yours and felt like I'd been had. Thanks for clearing that up.

I have plenty to say on the topic but I don't have time to get into a long winded discussion with Ori again (Hi Ori. Hope you're well) or to rehash the same old, knee-jerk exchanges. I just hope the peace talks going on now between party leaders actually lead to something this time. I guess we'll know next week when we find out whether or not the settlement freeze will be extended.

as if there are no other problems in the world...

I was watching an interviewee with King Abdullah the II of Jordan. Seemed like a moderate and intelligent man even if the title King suggest otherwise.

He claimed that 57 nations would be effected if Israel and Palestine find peace. He also refereed too how it would dramatically weaken the terrorists emotional ammunition to a point that it would make them a domestic issue.

My point is I think if Israel and Palestine find peace the effects would be far reaching in the Muslim world. Most of the animosity and the fuel for the hate comes from this conflict. I think it is a big issue.

I also don't think the UN is always right and we know they make mistakes. However I think its unreasonable for anyone to take Israeli account or Palestinians account on conflicts as accurate and un-bais. So who?

Here is the interviwe part 1 if you are intrested.

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/thu-september-23-2010/king-abdullah-ii-of-jordan

Part 2
http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/thu-september-23-2010/exclusive---king-abdullah-ii-of-jordan-extended-interview

I agree with everything you (and the king) said.
This is not relevant for this discussion though.
This human rights committee is nothing but a joke and pretty much all of its resolutions are targeting Israel regardless of the facts.

even if you think Israel is 100% guilty of what's going on in the middle east, shouldn't the UN devote some attention to a few regions with more critical human rights issues?
"Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero."

even if you think Israel is 100% guilty of what's going on in the middle east, shouldn't the UN devote some attention to a few regions with more critical human rights issues?

I don't think Israel is 100% guilty, I think there are times they have every right to attack, times when a little restraint would do all some good, and times when they are dead wrong. Same for the Palestinians.

Maybe I am not that informed on the humane rights committee, is there any particular reason you think they are biased against Israel?

Its hard to deny that the US is bias for Israel it has vetoed every resolution, but what is it about the humane rights committee that makes you think they are incorrect, or bias?