quade

Economy still sucks, unemployment is still high, yet the rich just keep getting richer.

>You work hard, you train hard, you sacrifice, you get better, and win.

Good example - because for most people, you work hard, you train hard, you sacrifice, you get better, and you lose. To win the Olympics you need to do all the above and have the genetics to allow you to be just slightly better than all the other people who are doing the same. You can work as hard as is humanly possible - if you don't have a strong heart and lungs, you're not going to win any cross country skiing events.

With employment, you have the same issue. Hard work is just one of the reasons you get ahead. Others are educational opportunities, raw talent (i.e. IQ, personality) family environment and sheer luck. All the hard work in the world won't make up for an IQ of 75.

> As long as you have worked harder than the people around you vying
>for the same job, you succeed.

Not true at all; see above.

In most cases, harder work, conditioning, willpower and determination will put you over the top. If you don't get there it is not anyone's fault but your own for settling for second best or not working hard enough of smart enough to get where you want to be.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

In most cases, harder work, conditioning, willpower and determination will put you over the top. If you don't get there it is not anyone's fault but your own for settling for second best or not working hard enough of smart enough to get where you want to be.

Even if that were true (and I'm nearly certain it isn't), even if all of the other contestants dropped dead at the starting gun, you can still only win one gold medal per event.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Even if that were true (and I'm nearly certain it isn't), you can still only win one gold medal per event.

Yeah, and there is only one moon orbiting earth to visit.

What is your point?
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama

>In most cases, harder work, conditioning, willpower and determination
>will put you over the top.

Simply untrue, despite what motivational posters say. 99% of the time, a driver cannot win a race with a car that's got half the power of the other cars.

But Bill -- if he worked harder he'd be on the team with the faster car.

If Spudd Webb can be a basketball player, anyone can. The fact that he can jump freakishly high is simply a matter of practice.

After all, Forrest Gump did pretty well for himself, and he was slow :S

Wendy P.

There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

>In most cases, harder work, conditioning, willpower and determination
>will put you over the top.

Simply untrue, despite what motivational posters say. 99% of the time, a driver cannot win a race with a car that's got half the power of the other cars.

No, that is why you put more work into engineering to increase the power. If the race driver lost because of the car he was driving, he didn't work hard enough on getting into the right car.

But Bill -- if he worked harder he'd be on the team with the faster car.

If Spudd Webb can be a basketball player, anyone can. The fact that he can jump freakishly high is simply a matter of practice.

After all, Forrest Gump did pretty well for himself, and he was slow :S

Wendy P.

OK - I'll see your fictional character and raise you Rudy, a human that actually lived, still does I think.

No, that is why you put more work into engineering to increase the power. If the race driver lost because of the car he was driving, he didn't work hard enough on getting into the right car.

This is untrue and especially in auto racing where luck plays an enormous part of who does or doesn't get tangled up in an accident through no fault of their own.
quade -

That's one guy. There's the one team in Indiana that won the state basketball championship (Hoosiers). That must mean it's possible for anyone.

That's so disingenuous it's not even funny.

The vast majority of people can improve or worsen their lot by the amount of work they do. It takes luck to change their lot, as well as hard work. A boy or girl going to a bad school has to work a LOT harder to get into Harvard than one whose father went there.

That's not necessarily wrong. It's just stupid to say that hard work will get you anywhere, when it's not true. Hard work will get you farther than average work most of the time. But where you started enters into the equation.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

This is untrue and especially in auto racing where luck plays an enormous part of who does or doesn't get tangled up in an accident through no fault of their own.

If they worked hard enough to get Chuck Norris on their team he'd just punch the accident out of the way :P

Wendy P.

If they worked hard enough to get Chuck Norris on their team he'd just punch the accident out of the way :P

Wendy P.

Intuition, will get you to avoid the accident also, unless it was intentional, even then, if you are good enough, you would be able to avoid it by seeing the signs that it was about to happen. Position yorself better and luck plays no part.

Or, you can have Chuck Norris just punch thgem outof the way.
Conversly does Hoffness cancel out Norissness?

Intuition, will get you to avoid the accident also, unless it was intentional, even then, if you are good enough, you would be able to avoid it by seeing the signs that it was about to happen. Position yorself better and luck plays no part.

You base this on what; your extensive experience in automotive racing?

No. You're just flat out wrong.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dale_Earnhardt
quade -

the harder i work the luckier i get !
the converse might be true !

Does the same thing work for relationships and marriages? I.e. if you ended up with a divorce, it's because you didn't work hard enough?

Wendy P.

the harder i work the luckier i get !
the converse might be true !

Does the same thing work for relationships and marriages? I.e. if you ended up with a divorce, it's because you didn't work hard enough?

Wendy P.

expand it - you didn't work hard enough, because you should have spent more time learning how to make the marriage work. You could go so far as you didn't work hard enough on your negotiating and communication skills.

And the other party had nothing to do with it -- it's entirely on one's self?

So I guess that means that how well or poorly the divorce is going is also entirely one's own responsibility, and the other party has nothing to do with it.

Wendy P.

I've been divorced. That particular ray points this way too. I'll admit that I have a very cordial relationship with my ex-husband, and that sometimes it took work. But he could have made it ugly single-handedly, as I could have.

Wendy P.

And the other party had nothing to do with it -- it's entirely on one's self?

So I guess that means that how well or poorly the divorce is going is also entirely one's own responsibility, and the other party has nothing to do with it.

Wendy P.

Look at it this way: If everyone took responsibility 100% on themselves, as they should, the world would be a better place.

I'm just saying - there should be no fault given to anybody other than ones self for situations in their lives.

It the marriage didn't work out - you obviously didn't wrok hard enough finding the right person at the right time to make it all work.

What is your point?

That you're still confused by the basic issue.

The basic issue is not that there is only one gold medal, or one moon to visit.

you can still only win one gold medal per event.

and whats the problem with that?

Nothing. Just understand it's not awarded for how hard the event was. It was awarded to whoever won, which is a completely different thing altogether.
quade -