CarrieByTheSea

Help Bring Horse Slaughtering to a Vote

While there may be some issues in the handleing of animals going to slaughter, your general overtone is not about "reform". It is about you pushing your agenda on the rest of us.

Keep your reform and I will keep eating meat

"Reform" and "agenda" are not mutually exclusive. But you might be surprised to learn supporting animal welfare does not mean becoming a vegetarian/vegan (I am not advocating the latter, nor am I veg/vegan. While Wendy is a conscious-shopper, I just do not crave cows, pigs or birds anymore and choose not to specially order or pay more for what I would consider "edible" meat).

My goal was to put something out there for those who might be interested. You chose to read, reply and whine about getting pushed by a woman.

I still care about you though, and your health and hope you respond well to antibiotics despite your insistence on becoming immune to them.
"Nature is cruel, but we don't have to be." ~ Temple Grandin

What benefits do humans attain by slaughtering horses? Please don't tell me that the old cartoon 'glue factory' thing still exists...or was true to begin with.

Dog food.

Here in the US, where ther isn't a lot of human consumption of horse meat, a lot of the "meat" in dog food is horsemeat.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

What benefits do humans attain by slaughtering horses? Please don't tell me that the old cartoon 'glue factory' thing still exists...or was true to begin with.

Dog food.

Here in the US, where ther isn't a lot of human consumption of horse meat, a lot of the "meat" in dog food is horsemeat.

Not by choice . . . by regulation.

Supermarkets will not sell dog food to some people.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Believe it or not, horse...Outside the US, it's commonly eaten as a meat.

Yep, and so is dog meat.

It might even make sense to eat dog, but what sort of dog-lover would eat dog lead-to-and-slaughtered under those same conditions?

But, if the question is of "benefits" to humans, other than "sought after ingredient", I cannot see much of a benefit. Still, if someone wants horse or dog meat, that is fine by me; I just want it to be humane and not full of shit--literally, not soaked in shit.

>WE treat them better than they (the animals) themselves and nature
>treat them already (in nearly all cases)

If you really, honestly think that - you've never seen a factory farm or a big feedlot. In nature, chickens don't pull each other's beaks off, or confine them to a box the same size they are.

It's not just the 'big guys' who mis-treat animals. I've seen 5-mustangs standing in a 12'x14' foot stall. A large round-bale of hay just outside their stall, A water tank so over-grown with algae, it was not drinkable. I've seen horses standing in tiny stalls in their own urine and feces. You could count their ribs from 300-yds. I could go on and on and the way I see it, fi a person is not going to properly care for an animal,they should not have them. I've seen many feed-lots for cattle, I've seen really good ones and I've seen some bad ones. I've seen bad chicken, swine and dairy farms that were absolutely deplorable. I would have to say, the bad ones are the minority. As for those mustangs I mentioned, I got with an employee of BLM and the horses were re-adopted and one of them turned-out to be a darned good roping horse. I've turned-in other horse owners to the humane society for mal treatment. I think, if people are so abhored by the treatment of animals they know about, speak-up. Otherwise, nothing will be done about the problem. It's true... the squeaky wheel does get the grease.

Chuck

While there may be some issues in the handleing of animals going to slaughter, your general overtone is not about "reform". It is about you pushing your agenda on the rest of us.

Keep your reform and I will keep eating meat

"Reform" and "agenda" are not mutually exclusive. But you might be surprised to learn supporting animal welfare does not mean becoming a vegetarian/vegan (I am not advocating the latter, nor am I veg/vegan. While Wendy is a conscious-shopper, I just do not crave cows, pigs or birds anymore and choose not to specially order or pay more for what I would consider "edible" meat).

My goal was to put something out there for those who might be interested. You chose to read, reply and whine about getting pushed by a woman.

I still care about you though, and your health and hope you respond well to antibiotics despite your insistence on becoming immune to them.

Since I have misunderstood your position, please accept my apology.
But, pushed by a woman?

Please enlighten me
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

>but what sort of dog-lover would eat dog lead to-and-slaughtered under
>those same conditions?

What sort of cow-lover would eat beef raised under even worse conditions?

I don't eat much meat mainly because I don't think we need to. A diet that's 99% vegetarian is both good for you and much easier on the environment than a typical US diet. (100% vegetarian is also fine provided you take supplements for things like B12.) Buying meat from more reputable ranches also helps reduce the amount of cruelty that gets carried out against these animals.

But I also don't see that preventing cruelty against one kind of mammal is any more or less important than preventing cruelty against any other kind of animal. Which is to say - it's all important, and in my view being a dog lover should not mean that one is OK with more cruelty towards other animals than one's favorite animal (and vice versa.)

>Still, if someone wants horse or dog meat, that is fine by me; I just want it to be humane . . .

Agreed there. But given that, it's odd that you are advocating banning horse meat altogether.

>What benefits do humans attain by slaughtering horses?

Believe it or not, horse fat is a very sought after ingredient for some foods, including gourmet french fries. Outside the US, it's commonly eaten as a meat.

Horsemeat isn't regulated. Horses taken to slaughter in Mexico, could be diseased, contain chemicals like, de-wormers and other medications that are not meant for 'human consumption'. Horses are not inspected at the slaughter houses... just killed and butchered. Who knows, at the buyer end what they are getting.

Chuck

>but what sort of dog-lover would eat dog lead to-and-slaughtered under
>those same conditions?

What sort of cow-lover would eat beef raised under even worse conditions?

I don't eat much meat mainly because I don't think we need to. A diet that's 99% vegetarian is both good for you and much easier on the environment than a typical US diet. (100% vegetarian is also fine provided you take supplements for things like B12.) Buying meat from more reputable ranches also helps reduce the amount of cruelty that gets carried out against these animals.

But I also don't see that preventing cruelty against one kind of mammal is any more or less important than preventing cruelty against any other kind of animal. Which is to say - it's all important, and in my view being a dog lover should not mean that one is OK with more cruelty towards other animals than one's favorite animal (and vice versa.)

>Still, if someone wants horse or dog meat, that is fine by me; I just want it to be humane . . .

Agreed there. But given that, it's odd that you are advocating banning horse meat altogether.

I agree almost entirely.

What I was advocating in my original post was the opposition to the present conditions of horse-slaughter, specifically (and you, yourself stated) since there is not a substantiated market for horse-meat in the U.S., yet it is U.S. horses being slaughtered and the banning of that is what I advocated.

But, pushed by a woman?

Please enlighten me

I am a woman. You said I pushed my stuff on you.

If this forum were a bar, it would be a hilarious claim. But, if this forum were a bar, I never would have noticed. :P
:D

Ok, I got it:D
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

>What I was advocating in my original post was the opposition to the
>present conditions of horse-slaughter . . .

Definitely agree there.

> since there is not a substantiated market for horse-meat in the U.S., yet it
>is U.S. horses being slaughtered . . .

That's what I don't get. There's no market here for the meat - so we have to ban it? That doesn't seem to follow.

I'd be all for harsh penalties for mistreating horses or slaughtering them inhumanely, but I'd be against a blanket ban.

I'd be all for harsh penalties for mistreating horses or slaughtering them inhumanely, but I'd be against a blanket ban.

So then, what don't_I_get? :D:$ Because, I think I agree with you.

My position is if Americans do not eat horse meat, it is probably for the same reason Americans would not want our horses shipped away for inhumane capture/travel/slaughter to other nations that do. I am not advocating those who desire horse-meat to not eat a horse--though I never would--because it is not for me to tell anyone what to eat. Morally, I_do_believe it is for me to express what is cruel and what is not and advocate the latter. I.e. if one wants horse-meat, it can (and should, imo) be humane and not full of shit.

It's funny, people have animal slaughtering events for the control of a species, yet humans are the ones that pose the largest risk to the planet and have the biggest population control problems.

If any species really needed to be controlled for the sake of the planet and nature it is humans. Instead we have decided that we should rather control nature around our needs and dictate what is okay to kill and not.

Mandatory sterilization for 95% of the world's population, thanks.

It's funny, people have animal slaughtering events for the control of a species, yet humans are the ones that pose the largest risk to the planet and have the biggest population control problems.

If any species really needed to be controlled for the sake of the planet and nature it is humans.

We've had large-scale human slaughtering events. How'd they work out for us?

If any species really needed to be controlled for the sake of the planet and nature it is humans. Instead we have decided that we should rather control nature around our needs and dictate what is okay to kill and not.

Mandatory sterilization for 95% of the world's population, thanks.

That might get rid of enough leftists.

There was this guy back in the 40's that thought that same way. I wonder whatever happened to him.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama

>That might get rid of enough leftists.
>There was this guy back in the 40's that thought that same way. I wonder
>whatever happened to him.

Didn't kill enough leftists, I suppose. I guess you can always hope for another.

OK . . . MESO for world Dictator!