JohnRich

Is Obama a Closet Gun Nut?

News:
Obama gives TCU rifle team a warm welcome at White House

The five female members of Texas Christian University's national championship rifle team were already beside themselves to be on the South Lawn of the White House on Monday evening at a celebration of all NCAA sports champions when President Barack Obama gave them the first shout-out.

"We've got the sharpshooters from the TCU rifle squad. Where are they?" asked Obama as the team members, standing near the camera risers, screamed. "I think that they may be able to give the Secret Service a run for their money."

...And, surprisingly, Obama told the TCU team members that he, too, practiced shooting with a rifle. "He said he practiced with the Secret Service..."
Source: http://www.star-telegram.com/2010/09/13/2465524/obama-gives-tcu-rifle-team-a-warm.html

I wonder what type of secret service rifle he fired? Perhaps one of those so-called "assault weapons" that he's been in favor of banning because they're only good for killing a lot of people? Maybe a high-caliber sniper weapon that can take down a helicopter a mile away? Perhaps a submachine gun that spews 800 bullets a minute?

News:

Obama gives TCU rifle team a warm welcome at White House

The five female members of Texas Christian University's national championship rifle team were already beside themselves to be on the South Lawn of the White House on Monday evening at a celebration of all NCAA sports champions when President Barack Obama gave them the first shout-out.

"We've got the sharpshooters from the TCU rifle squad. Where are they?" asked Obama as the team members, standing near the camera risers, screamed. "I think that they may be able to give the Secret Service a run for their money."

...And, surprisingly, Obama told the TCU team members that he, too, practiced shooting with a rifle. "He said he practiced with the Secret Service..."
Source: http://www.star-telegram.com/2010/09/13/2465524/obama-gives-tcu-rifle-team-a-warm.html

I wonder what type of secret service rifle he fired? Perhaps one of those so-called "assault weapons" that he's been in favor of banning?

It's probably just the competition 50 cals they have hanging around the closet.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Yep, well, I guess all those whacky fringe right nutjobs managed to elect enough representatives supportive of gun rights to prevent a presidents agenda from going too far that way.

But would you say this administration supports gun rights, or would you instead say that they are having too much trouble with their agenda on other fronts to make a fight of it? Or would you say they lied to the left to get elected?

edit for clarity
witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

Yep, well, I guess all those whacky fringe right nutjobs managed to elect enough representatives supportive of gun rights to prevent a presidents agenda from going too far that way.

But would you say this administration supports gun rights, or would you instead say that they are having too much trouble with their agenda on other fronts to make a fight of it? Or would you say they lied to the left to get elected?

edit for clarity

I don't recall gun control being a big part of the Democrat party platform in 2008.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

edit for clarity

I don't recall gun control being a big part of the Democrat party platform in 2008.

Translation
He is lieing but I dont want to say that
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

Translation

Prove me wrong. Do a Google search about what Obama was talking about during the 2008 elections and PROVE me wrong. Find the material on Obama web sites that say he was in favor of confiscating guns.

DO IT!

If you're so certain I'm "lying"; prove it. Here I am, setting my self up for the fall. Go. Do it and prove me wrong. I beg you.
quade -

edit for clarity

Translation

Prove me wrong. Do a Google search about what the Democrats where talking about during the 2008 elections and PROVE me wrong. Find the material on the Democrat web sites that say they were going to confiscate guns.

DO IT!

If you're so certain I'm "lying"; PROVE IT.

Who said anything about confiscate??
You know something we dont?

By the way
I am going looking for comments about guns made during the campain

Your "platform" context is yet another attempt to spin the context to CYA
Abraham Lincoln

Lots of people; mostly nut cases and gun shop owners looking to jack up sales based on fear.

Here's a few examples;
http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread385129/pg1
http://hardstarboardblog.com/2009/06/stop-the-obama-gun-grab.html
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgUaNi58-PU
quade -

Lots of people; mostly nut cases and gun shop owners looking to jack up sales based on fear.

Here's an example;

In this thread dude
You really need to concentrate

YOU are the only one in this thread (after a quick scan so I may have missed it) that brought up anything about confiscation
Abraham Lincoln

So do you like that or are you mad at him?

I am lost.

If he sees that guns are in fact a good thing to have in the hand of responsible citizens does that make you happy or sad?

DUUUUUUDE

Its Obama........................to some people he can do no right

Just sayin

I am lost.

If he sees that guns are in fact a good thing to have in the hand of responsible citizens does that make you happy or sad?

Why are you searching for an emotional response
If he said and believed that I would agree with him
Abraham Lincoln

I am lost.

Ah, but if he said it would you be willing to believe he believed it?:P
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

I am lost.

Ah, but if he said it would you be willing to believe he believed it?:P

If his actions and votes and policies supported the statement? Yes
Abraham Lincoln

Here's an example;

In this thread dude

YOU are the only one in this thread (after a quick scan so I may have missed it) that brought up anything about confiscation

YOU my dear obviously do not understand a normal (educated) discussion, means, where one point leads to the next .... you just sound like a hooligan. Disgusting.
:|

dudeist skydiver # 3105

Oh, I believe we have another member of this thread that's on record about his views on Obama working to confiscate guns. Quite a bit of a record actually, sort of a broken one playing the same phrase over and over.

Examples;
http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?do=search_results&search_forum=all&search_string=obama+guns&search_type=AND&search_fields=sb&search_time=&search_user_username=johnrich&sb=score&mh=100
quade -

Here's an example;

In this thread dude

YOU my dear obviously do not understand a normal (educated) discussion, means, where one point leads to the next .... you just sound like a hooligan. Disgusting.
:|

High der again. bck hre to inslut me yat again me deer?
Abraham Lincoln

Oh, I believe we have another member of this thread that's on record about his views on Obama working to confiscate guns. Quite a bit of a record actually, sort of a broken one playing the same phrase over and over.

Examples;
http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?do=search_results&search_forum=all&search_string=obama+guns&search_type=AND&search_fields=sb&search_time=&search_user_username=johnrich&sb=score&mh=100

Take if off topic if you want but you got caught at it the first time

Man up dude
Abraham Lincoln

I don't understand the question:

Is Obama a Closet? Gun Nut? (don't call me gun nut, he is dark and closed)
Is Obama a "Closet Gun" Nut? (what's a closet gun?)
Is Obama a Closet Gun? Nut? (he might be, and thank you, a snack would be nice)
Is Obama a Closet "Gun Nut"? (the term "gun nut" is offensive

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Point 1:
Holy fuck you two have to chill out with each other! Take it down a notch or twenty.

Point 2:
Google is my friend
http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/story?id=6960824&page=1
http://www.cnn.com/ELECTION/2008/issues/issues.gun.html
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/30389664/

His Change.gov website (while president-elect) specifically mentioned the assault weapons ban. When folks saw it and threw a shit fit, the page disappeared, but someone pulled up pictures from google's storage, and found it.

Then again, there's always his history. You know, like:

(A)voting against gun rights and gun industry 100% of the time while in Illinois Senate and US Senate.

(B)He was on the board of the Joyce Foundation. For those not aware, between 2000 and 2008 the Joyce Foundation provided over $15 Million in funding to radical gun control organizations such as the Violence Policy Center and the Illinois Council Against Handgun Violence.

(C):

On 1996 Questionnaire, Obama Answered “Yes” To Question About His Support For Legislation To “Ban The Manufacture, Sale And Possession Of Handguns.” Question: “Do you support state legislation to … ban the manufacture, sale and possession of handguns? [Obama's Response:] Yes.” (Independent Voters Of Illinois Independent Precinct Organization 1996 General Candidate Questionnaire, Barack Obama Responses, 9/10/96)

(D)In 1999, Obama proposed a 500 percent increase in the excise taxes on firearms and ammunition. This tax would have effectively punished gun owners for buying guns and ammunition.

(E)He also stated he believed the WDC gun laws (effectively bans) were constitutional.

And so on. So tell me, is the man a liar, or is he only failing to go after guns because he's having so much trouble elsewhere?
witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

A big change from the face he put on in Chicago.

Chicago Defender, Dec. 13, 1999:

Sweeping federal gun control legislation proposed by Sen. Barack Obama (D-13th) would increase the penalties on gun runners who are flooding Chicago's streets with illegal weapons.

At an anti-gun rally held at the Park Manor Christian Church, 600 E. 73rd St., headed by the Rev. James Demus, Obama also said he's backing a resolution being introduced into the City Council by Alds. Toni Preckwinkle (4th), Ted Thomas (15th), Leslie Hairston (5th) to call for a "shot-free" millennium celebration.

Obama outlined his anti-gun plan that includes increased penalties for the interstate transportation of firearms. The maximum penalty now for bringing a gun across the border is 10 years in prison. Obama is proposing to make it a felony for a gun owner whose firearm was stolen from his residence which causes harm to another person if that weapon was not securely stored in that home. [!!!]

He's proposing restricting gun purchases to one weapon a month and banning the sale of firearms at gun shows except for "antique" weapons. Obama is also proposing increasing the licensing fee to obtain a federal firearms license.

He's also seeking a ban on police agencies from reselling their used weapons even if those funds are used to buy more state-of-the-art weapons for their agencies. Obama wants only those over 21 who've passed a basic course to be able to buy or own a firearm.

He's proposing that all federally licensed gun dealers sell firearms in a storefront and not from their homes while banning their business from being within five miles of a school or a park. He's also banning the sale of 'junk" handguns like the popular Saturday Night Specials.

Obama is requiring that all people working at a gun dealer undergo a criminal background check. He's also asking that gun manufacturers be required to develop safety measures that permit only the original owner of the firearm to operate the weapon purchased.

Additionally, he wants an increase of the funds for schools to teach anger management skills for youth between the ages of 5-13. Obama is also seeking to increase the federal taxes by 500 percent on the sale of firearm, ammunition [sic] -- weapons he says are most commonly used in firearm deaths.

witty subliminal message
1*

And so on. So tell me, is the man a liar, or is he only failing to go after guns because he's having so much trouble elsewhere?

I don't think he was a liar. I believe he was talking about certain aspects of gun control, but nothing remotely close to what some people were talking about and as you stated "threw a shit fit" about. The reaction by some to even the briefest of mentions of just looking at gun control was way over the top.

As for trouble elsewhere . . . yeah, Obama inherited a crap load of problems and I think we'd all agree they take priority over just about anything short of a nuclear attack.
quade -