turtlespeed

If I broke into your house . . .

>You whining screwballs that are arguing against throwing the bums out
My comment: "We have to get better at letting people in who want to work and keeping people out who want to commit crimes."
Not sure where you got your interpretation.

their wanting to work should be prioritized behind best interests of the U.S. and citizens being afforded first opportunity at any jobs available !

There seems to be some confusion over your comment.
By citizens are you including or discluding legal immigrants?

priority for job openings in america
natural or naturalized citizens
work visas
visas education et al
illegal residents living peacably and lawfully
no jobs for other illegals

priority for job openings in america

You keep saying that as if law abiding companies give out jobs to illegal immigrants. They don't. In fact, since 9/11, most companies that want to stay even vaguely legal have to be shown documents proving a worker is legal for even the most simple minimum wage job.

It's not the law that is at fault. The law, as much as it ever can and as it exists right now prevents what you're suggesting.

The problem lays with the employers who ignore the law and hire workers without doing any sort of document check.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

day laborers , and amazon's cleaning crew et al !

Precisely, but even at that the current law covers it. The companies that pick up day laborers outside your local hardware store are supposed to checking documents. They simply don't, but there's no law that's going to change that.

Besides which, when was the last time YOU stood out in front of Home Depot looking for a day job and an illegal got it instead of you? YOU, specifically.

It just doesn't happen in any significant numbers. That's not the kind of job nor the way most legal citizens look for work.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

My comment: "We have to get better at letting people in who want to work and keeping people out who want to commit crimes."

their wanting to work should be prioritized behind best interests of the U.S. and citizens being afforded first opportunity at any jobs available !

I believe the pecking order should be:
1) Citizens
2) Resident Aliens
3) Non resident aliens
4) Others that do not qualify as the above but are not Illegally in this country.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

For some of the groups on that list employment is illegal in the US. Am surprised you would support that.

Any reasonably intelligent person would conclude that what I meant was if the employment of any individual is legally obtained.

Which groups are you referring to?

1) Citizens
2) Resident Aliens
3) Non resident aliens
4) Others that do not qualify as the above but are not Illegally in this country.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama

if you want to call me stupid, just call me stupid. You aren't oing to hurt my feelings.

to answer your question:

non-resident aliens
Others that do not qualify as the above but are not illegally in this country.

So you know for a fact that a student visa disqualifies you as "employable"?

I don't think you are stupid, but I do believe that you are being intentionally obtuse.

All that has to happen is an Employer sponsorship for a work visa, although there are other options.

No, but now you are talking sub-set of your original group.

Not all non-resident aliens are legal to work, and some only in very defined positions.

In the fourth group you listed, many would not be legal to work.

No, but now you are talking sub-set of your original group.

Not all non-resident aliens are legal to work, and some only in very defined positions.

In the fourth group you listed, many would not be legal to work.

That is why I said that any reasonably intelligent person would come to the obvious concluseion that I would disregard illegal employment of any kind.

Again, you are being intentionally obtuse.

I believe the pecking order should be:
1) Citizens
2) Resident Aliens
3) Non resident aliens

I disagree. Anyone of legal status to be in this country and allowed by that status to be employed should all be treated equally.

Favoritism and/or quotas will just perpetuate prejudices. [:/]
Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

In that case I am having trouble thinking of a group that would fall under section 4 you listed and would legally be allowed to work in the US?

Student.

Visiting Professor

Visiting Doctor

Diplomatic

I am sure there are others.

Student.

Visiting Professor

Visiting Doctor

Those are non-resident aliens.

Foreign diplomats are not employed by the US or in the US. (Embassies are foreign soil)

Can you find these others?

I'm growing weary of doing your work for you. Disprove me if you can.

Diplomatic visas can be used to enter the country, while an employer sponsorship could allow family members of the diplomat to be eligible.

A non-resident alien is a person from a foreign country working in the US who does not pass the green card or the substantial presence test.

Therefor, it is impossible for anybody in your fourth group to legally work in the US.

Hence, it is not possible for any reasonably intelligent person to understand you only meant people who are legally allowed to work from each group. Your pecking order can only stand if you include illegals, hence my surprise at you advocating a pecking order that included illegals.

See, I am not being obtuse. I was just going by your post.

A non-resident alien is a person from a foreign country working in the US who does not pass the green card or the substantial presence test.

>>>>Therefor, it is impossible for anybody in your fourth group to legally work in the US.

The above statements are false.

Definitions of a non-resident alien

Maybe I was wrong about the obtuse part.

Rule #17 of Speaker's Corner -

When you have dug yourself into a hole - stop digging.

What hole - his definition or analogy was incorrect.

Prove me wrong.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In Reply To
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

>>>>Therefor, it is impossible for anybody in your fourth group to legally work in the US.

The above statements are false.

Definitions of a non-resident alien

Maybe I was wrong about the obtuse part.

Like I said earlier, if you want to call me stupid, call me stupid, you won't hurt my feelings.

In stead of Wiki, which is a global web site, why don't we use an American definiton, since this argument was about the US.

I suggest maybe the IRS, since they are the ones collecting the taxfromn those people who work in the US legally. Maybe read up here:

http://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc851.html

According to the IRS, you are either a citizen, a resident alien or a non resident alien.

So, I ask again, who is neither a resident alien nor a non-resident alien and allowed to work in the US and is exempt from paying taxes?

Come up with an example and prove me false.