skyrider

And Burning a Few Books Might Pisss Them Off

List of Islamic Terror Attacks For the Past 2 Months

http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/Pages/TheList.htm.

Prior:

http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/index.html#Attacks
Islamic Terror Attacks for First Part of 2010

Islamic Terror Attacks for 2009

Islamic Terror Attacks for 2008

Islamic Terror Attacks for 2007

Islamic Terror Attacks for 2006

Islamic Terror Attacks for 2005

Islamic Terror Attacks for 2004

Islamic Attacks from September 11th, 2001 through 2003

You're missing an important point; our very existence pisses off some people.

The problem isn't that burning the Quran will piss off those people, but that it would make more people join them.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

The problem isn't that burning the Quran will piss off those people, but that it would make more people join them.

So by all means - let us all bow down to those people.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

All burning a religious book does is show people you're an asshole.

I'm not really sure you can say NOT showing people how big of an asshole you are is the same thing as bowing down.
quade -

I'm not really sure you can say NOT showing people how big of an asshole you are is the same thing as bowing down.

Not doing something because it pisses someone off is. What would have said if MLK hadn't made his speeches because it pisses off some people?

Do you not believe it would have been a tragedy?
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama

Not doing something because it pisses someone off is. What would have said if MLK hadn't made his speeches because it pisses off some people?

Two important points about the differences between MLK and Terry Jones.

MLK was putting himself at risk by traveling to the towns he had been warned away from because of death threats. He personally was going to take the heat and I think you'll find no riots broke out anywhere else in the world because he did.

On the other hand, the proposed actions of Terry Jones put a great number of people at risk. People I bet we'd both like. People in the US military and other Americans overseas.

Now, while in some other countries, most notably ones in the middle east, just the proposal alone would have been enough to get the person arrested and stoned to death, you'll notice that at no time whatsoever did The White House command Terry Jones to stop. Sure, a LOT of people told him he was an idiot, but speech is protected here and he as an individual does in fact have the right to burn the Quran if he wants.

That doesn't make it the smart thing to do.

Now, I'm almost certain you or somebody else is going to say something to the effect of "How is that different than building a mosque in New York?"

The difference is . . . we're better than the extremists. We're a country built on tolerance and right there in the First Amendment is where it says we don't make laws against religion.

So yeah . . . try burning a Quran in Saudi Arabia and yes, you will be beaten and killed. Try building a Christian church in Mecca and you'll be turned away. In fact, as a non-Muslim, you won't even be allowed in the city.

But we're better than that.
quade -

Gee it seems that the same people that were pissed off at MLK... are the same ones who are pissed off at the muslims now..... not trajic... but it is sad[:/]

The difference is . . . we're better than the extremists.

Are you,

Why then is you country leading 2 illegal wars killing thousands of innocent people?

Do you beleive in an eye for an eye?
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

Two important points about the differences between MLK and Terry Jones.

MLK was putting himself at risk by traveling to the towns he had been warned away from because of death threats. He personally was going to take the heat and I think you'll find no riots broke out anywhere else in the world because he did.

On the other hand, the proposed actions of Terry Jones put a great number of people at risk. People I bet we'd both like. People in the US military and other Americans overseas.

Now, while in some other countries, most notably ones in the middle east, just the proposal alone would have been enough to get the person arrested and stoned to death, you'll notice that at no time whatsoever did The White House command Terry Jones to stop. Sure, a LOT of people told him he was an idiot, but speech is protected here and he as an individual does in fact have the right to burn the Quran if he wants.

That doesn't make it the smart thing to do.

Now, I'm almost certain you or somebody else is going to say something to the effect of "How is that different than building a mosque in New York?"

The difference is . . . we're better than the extremists. We're a country built on tolerance and right there in the First Amendment is where it says we don't make laws against religion.

So yeah . . . try burning a Quran in Saudi Arabia and yes, you will be beaten and killed. Try building a Christian church in Mecca and you'll be turned away. In fact, as a non-Muslim, you won't even be allowed in the city.

But we're better than that.

So, it's better to give the school bully your lunch money, rather than risk pissing him off by refusing? Is that the basic argument?
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

You're missing an important point; our very existence pisses off some people.This I agree with

The later point is just plain nonsense
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

So, it's better to give the school bully your lunch money, rather than risk pissing him off by refusing? Is that the basic argument?

Not at all.

When you decide fight a bully, you're fighting one guy; one-on-one. Just by looking at him you can decide for yourself whether it's worth the risk or not.

When an individual decides to screw around in international terrorism, he's putting other people besides himself at risk.
quade -

You're missing an important point; our very existence pisses off some people.This I agree with

You don't think that burning the Quran would cause some individuals sitting on the fence to finally step over to the side of the terrorists? Really?
quade -

Not at all.

When you decide fight a bully, you're fighting one guy; one-on-one. Just by looking at him you can decide for yourself whether it's worth the risk or not.

When an individual decides to screw around in international terrorism, he's putting other people besides himself at risk.

“It is always a temptation to a rich and lazy nation
To puff and look important and to say: –
‘Though we know we should defeat you
We have not the time to meet you
We will therefore pay you cash to go away.’

“And that is called paying the Dane-geld
But we’ve proved it again and again,
That if once you have paid him the Dane-geld
You never get rid of the Dane.”
-Kipling

You're advocating paying the Dane-geld rather than risk pissing someone off.
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

You don't think that burning the Quran would causesome individuals sitting on the fence to finally step over to the side of the terrorists? Really?

Paul, isn’t it yet readily apparent that some people cannot grasp that to win a war such as the one we are currently engaged in, that it is all about fighting a smart war. We are never going to be able eliminate all of our enemies, but we can get rid of many of them.
When some imbecile like the preacher man comes along.... our enemy will use his actions to show the weak minded illiterates that the jihad is the only way to deal with us. The preacher man is tailor-made as the perfect recruiting tool to swell the ranks of Al Qaeda. When it comes down to it… there really is very little difference in the mindset of either group.

How is NOT doing something, doing something?
How is NOT burning a Quran, the same as paying a tribute to a bully? It's not.
That's like saying if I don't punch a stranger on the street, I've bowed down to him. No. It isn't. It's just not punching him.

Your position would explain why some people on this forum feel compelled to be argumentative though. It would mean that by not acting like an asshat, they feel they haven't "won." But it doesn't work that way. Acting like an asshat, just means the person is an asshat.
quade -

How is NOT doing something, doing something?
How is NOT burning a Quran, the same as paying a tribute to a bully? It's not.
That's like saying if I don't punch a stranger on the street, I've bowed down to him. No. It isn't. It's just not punching him.

Your position would explain why some people on this forum feel compelled to be argumentative though. It would mean that by not acting like an asshat, they feel they haven't "won." But it doesn't work that way. Acting like an asshat, just means the person is an asshat.

Are you deliberately missing the point, or do you honestly not understand it?
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

It's not that I'm missing or don't understand your point. It's that I think it's not valid.

If, the terrorists said, "ok, pay us money and we won't bomb you" and somebody proposed that is what we do, then your point would in fact be valid, but that's not what is happening.

What I don't understand is why some people are coming down on the side of lunacy in this. As if Terry Jones is some sort of nobel and heroic figure. He's not. He's a religious charlatan and publicity hound. He's no different than the Westboro Baptist "God Hates Fags" idiots attempting to incite riots for publicity sake.

The guy is such an idiot he's willing to incite riots and promote terrorism for his own selfish gain.

His right I guess, but that doesn't make him a hero in my book.
quade -

It's not that I'm missing or don't understand your point. It's that I think it's not valid.

If, the terrorists said, "ok, pay us money and we won't bomb you" and somebody proposed that is what we do, then your point would in fact be valid, but that's not what is happening.

Ok, so we'll put you in the 'giving bullies what they want will make them stop bullying you' crowd.

What I don't understand is why some people are coming down on the side of lunacy in this. As if Terry Jones is some sort of nobel and heroic figure. He's not. He's a religious charlatan and publicity hound. He's no different than the Westboro Baptist "God Hates Fags" idiots attempting to incite riots for publicity sake.

They're both protected by the 1st amendment, even if they're both pricks.

The guy is such an idiot he's willing to incite riots and promote terrorism for his own selfish gain.

They're both protected by the 1st amendment, even if they're both pricks.

His right I guess, but that doesn't make him a hero in my book.

I haven't seen anyone in this thread heroizing him.
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

The preacher man is tailor-made as the perfect recruiting tool to swell the ranks of Al Qaeda. When it comes down to it… there really is very little difference in the mindset of either group.

and that works out just perfect for the IMC doesn't it.

War = $

More reasons to be in war = more money for the elite and less for you and me.

This guy doesn;t deserve the coverage he has got, if he had just doen it without to coverage, then there would be limited effect.

Meanwhile the real reasons for this go amis and the rich cunts rub thier hands together.

talk about taking the propoganda hook line and sinker, I knew you guys were weak, but this is beyond comrehention.

The guy is obviously a crook, this is a storm in a tea cup nd there are real probelms you should all be dealing with but this soap opera is a really nice distraction.
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

Gee it seems that the same people that were pissed off at MLK... are the same ones who are pissed off at the muslims now..... not trajic... but it is sad[:/]

You have proven your ignorance of the world again, I was 100 percent behind MLK!

But stick to making slams, instead of making factual points!:S

I would think that the same people pissed off about MLK are mostly in Nursing homes or dead..