Gawain

MULTIPLE RANCHES IN LAREDO, TX TAKEN OVER BY LOS ZETAS

I can find nothing about this in the mainstream news sources (TV & Newspaper) in Laredo. Nor is there anything on CNN, Fox and MSNBC.

Nothing moving about it at all on any other web site except the one linked in the original post of this thread. It's not actually surprising when you consider media cutbacks over the last few years. It is, after all, saturday and the vast majority of news organizations are at a bare minimum on the weekends. It's not like the old days where you had tons of crews hanging out listening to scanners and running out to cover every police call.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Not to mention the fact that drug cartels have threatened every newspaper office, radio and t.v. station from El Paso to Brownsville! Reporters are probably, scared to death to go near Laredo. Also, i googled it and found many sources of the story.
In recent weeks, law enforcement and Border Patrol have 'set-up' at the entrance road near where I live and their presence is 24-7.
I still believe, a whole bunch of self centered 'recreational' dope users need to quit.

Chuck

There is an "interesting" comment on the Laredo Morning Times web site about the incident;

Officials know nothing of rumored Zeta standoff on Mines Road
Local law enforcement was bombarded with calls from across the country Saturday asking about a report that the Zetas had taken over two ranches off Mines Road.

Source; http://lmtonline.com/
It's entirely possible the story reported by The Cypress Times was a fabrication.
quade -

Maybe we shouldn't be in the business of training people that can turn against us.

That never seems to work out in the long run.

We trained Mexican military personnel to help the mexican govt. fight drug cartels. Afetr many of them were trained, the cartels just made them a more lucrative offer. How, is that our fault??

Chuck

We trained Mexican military personnel to help the mexican govt. fight drug cartels. Afetr many of them were trained, the cartels just made them a more lucrative offer. How, is that our fault??

The same way most engineering disasters happen, a lack of imagination.
quade -

Publisher's Note: We are now receiving numerous conflicting reports regarding the veracity of this article. Numerous sources on the web (found via Google search) are picking up on this report, just as we did at The Cypress Times. The original writer for this article stands by his sources. If you wish to inquire about the sources, please visit the original story source URL listed in the article body below. I can tell you that as of now The Cypress Times has been unable to confirm the story. - John G. Winder, Publisher - The Cypress Times.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

There is an "interesting" comment on the Laredo Morning Times web site about the incident;

Local law enforcement was bombarded with calls from across the country Saturday asking about a report that the Zetas had taken over two ranches off Mines Road.

It's entirely possible the story reported by The Cypress Times was a fabrication.

Wow, NOW you realize that can happen????

(not commenting to this story)
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

I'm thinking the same thing. Though, as brazen as the Zetas are, it wouldn't surprise me one bit. The big thing to cartels is gaining control of 'routes' in this country. Ten miles from I-35 would be just ideal for them.
I do know, Zetas have been spotted about 30-miles from where I live.

Chuck

Ya think? ;)

Yeah, I don't understand why this was done, but the take over of these ranches seems to be a fabrication.

I am shocked to find out that not everything I read on-line is true!!!! :$:P

That's what we get for trying to help our neighbors to the south. If, it were me, I would dis-continue any similar help... in any way. They aren't doing us any favors!!!

Chuck

It could or couldn't be. The Zeta raid in Phoenix I related practically wasn't covered in the media. It was related to me in detail by people personally involved in the clean up and investigation.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Source:

"No, Texas has not been invaded
Posted by: Phineas on July 24, 2010 at 6:40 pm

An Internet rumor has been spreading for hours now claiming that Los Zetas, a notorious and extremely violent Mexican drug gang, has crossed the border and taken over two ranches near Laredo. The source seems to be a blog called Diggers Realm. See also this breathless account at examiner.com:

In what could be deemed an act of war against the sovereign borders of the United States, Mexican drug cartels have seized control of at least two American ranches inside the U.S. territory near Laredo, Texas.

Two sources inside the Laredo Police Department confirmed the incident is unfolding and they would continue to coordinate with U.S. Border Patrol today. “We consider this an act of war,” said one police officer on the ground near the scene. There is a news blackout of this incident at this time and the sources inside Laredo PD spoke on the condition of anonymity.

Word broke late last night that Laredo police have requested help from the federal government regarding the incursion by the Los Zetas. It appears that the ranch owners have escaped without incident but their ranches remain in the hands of the blood thirsty cartels.

Laredo Border Patrol is conducting aerial surveillance over the ranches to determine the best way to regain control of the U.S. ranches, according to the Laredo Police department.

One problem: It’s not true. Bob Owens of Confederate Yankee took the unusual and daring step of actually calling the Laredo PD and the local sheriff’s office to get the true story. Here’s a part of what he learned:

[Laredo PD Sgt. Perez] also provided me the number of the Sheriff’s Department. The deputy that answered the phone there was less bemused, having also dealt with this rumor multiple times in a short amount of time. She also told me that there was no invasion and no law enforcement siege, and that deputies were continuing normal operations.

So where and how Digger and Examiner.com’s Kimberly Dvorak got their “confirmations, ” I have no idea. But a simple phone call to the relevant authorities showed this was just another Internet myth.

What I do know, however, is that the situation on our border is serious and the dangers faced there are real. Those of us concerned about border security -and on the Right in general- face a hostile mainstream media and political elite looking for anything they can use to dismiss us and smear us as racists and extremists in need of being controlled.

Let’s not give them any ammunition, okay?

UPDATE: The Laredo Morning Times hasn’t heard of any trouble, either. You’d think the local paper would know, wouldn’t you?"

THE SKY IS FALLING! THE SKY IS FALLING! Oh, it was just a bit of bird shit. No matter, IT'S AN ACT OF WAR! IF OBAMA DOESN'T INVADE MEXICO TODAY HE'S A COWARD! DON'T CONFUSE US WITH FACTS!

Nothing like that old stimulus/response, eh? No time to actually check out the story, shoot first ask questions later.

Don

THE SKY IS FALLING! THE SKY IS FALLING! Oh, it was just a bit of bird shit. No matter, IT'S AN ACT OF WAR! IF OBAMA DOESN'T INVADE MEXICO TODAY HE'S A COWARD! DON'T CONFUSE US WITH FACTS!

Way to stay classy, Don.

Nothing like that old stimulus/response, eh? No time to actually check out the story, shoot first ask questions later.

Don

Now that you mention it, sounds like the Stimulus Bill, the Healthcare bill, the response to Arizona's new law, the Sherrod situation...
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Way to stay classy, Don.

Don

Now that you mention it, sounds like the Stimulus Bill, the Healthcare bill, the response to Arizona's new law, the Sherrod situation...

:D:D
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

Much as the threat of islamic terrorism striking on US soil fell on deaf ears in the 90's, this is a threat that is all too real and not taken seriously by 99% of the US. It will be taken seriously, but unfortunately only after a significant incident has tragic results.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Much as the threat of islamic terrorism striking on US soil fell on deaf ears in the 90's, this is a threat that is all too real and not taken seriously by 99% of the US. It will be taken seriously, but unfortunately only after a significant incident has tragic results.

Dave - I realize you may not be able to confirm/deny, but had you heard about this (below)? I ran across it just now, attempting to confirm the blog that Dan posted.

From the Houston Chronicle:

The FBI is advising law enforcement officers across the country that a Texas cell of Los Zetas — an increasingly powerful arm of the Mexican Gulf Cartel drug trafficking syndicate — has acquired a secluded ranch where it trains its members to “neutralize” competitors in the United States.

In order to ensure its share of the lucrative illegal drug trade, the cartel’s members reportedly are operating north of the border to collect debts and spy on competitors. They have also protected cocaine and heroin shipments that were bound for Houston, where they were repackaged and shipped on to Alabama, Delaware, Georgia and Michigan, according to the FBI.

The information, which was disseminated Monday to state, local and federal agencies, does not provide specifics, such as the location of the ranch, but includes a notation that the information came from reliable FBI contacts.

Trainees are reportedly taught about home invasions, firearms and ways to run vehicles off the road in order to kidnap occupants who owe drug debts.

Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

I had to google around to see if what you should see in reference your post was out in the public. Here's some proof:

http://www.militaryphotos.net/forums/showthread.php?179317-Mexico%92s-Army-finds-Zetas-cartel-training-camp-large-weapons-cache

Man, that's a lot of stuff!!
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

You may want to check the time on that story - it's BEFORE the Cypress Times story, and written by the same Kimberly Dvorak.

This whole thread seems to be about imagination, but since we're at it, imagine for us the alternative to training other people? Take Iraq - we accomplished our goals there 6 years ago, but we're still suffering there (with life, money, and prestige) to maintain the order while training the Iraqis to do it themselves. Which mistake are we making there?

If this proves to be the hoax is appears, the thing that jumped at me is wtf would they take over ranches? As well equipped as they may be, without hostages, a land grab is only going to be temporary before the power of the world's most potent military is going to swarm them. You can fight that sort of strength with speed and agility, but not by trying to hold down a fort.

Hey Gang.

I can find nothing about this in the mainstream news sources (TV & Newspaper) in Laredo. Nor is there anything on CNN, Fox and MSNBC.

Can anyone confirm this story through a nationally recognized news source?

Read the "Mission and Belief" page on the OP's link. Credibility probably isn't this publication's strong suit. It seems to be designed provide the right wing nutters and religious fundies material to jerk off en masse.
"Science, logic and reason will fly you to the moon. Religion will fly you into buildings."
"Because figuring things out is always better than making shit up."

Hey Gang.

Can anyone confirm this story through a nationally recognized news source?

Read the "Mission and Belief" page on the OP's link. Credibility probably isn't this publication's strong suit. It seems to be designed provide the right wing nutters and religious fundies material to jerk off en masse.

Seems to have worked!

So your belief is that violence stemming from the Gulf Cartel and organizations like the Zetas are of no threat to us north of the Rio Grande?

So you think we should invade Mexico, driving straight to Mexico City killing everything that moves along the way?
(since we're reaching and all...:S)

He didn't say that, now did he Dave?
"Science, logic and reason will fly you to the moon. Religion will fly you into buildings."
"Because figuring things out is always better than making shit up."