dgskydive

This is why we need better security on the Mexican Border....this is why AZ. passed their law.

In Reply To
Good, because I was about to unleash my family tree on you. It would make your head spin. I may be a lot of things, but a racist is not one of them.

Easy there. SlySly

It is full of blacks, Native Americans, Jews, Germans and even some of those brown people from down south. Even some from Peru. You should see a family get together. When I introduce someone to my Black grandmother, my Peruvian father and my white mother. Then it gets real interesting when you throw great grand parents in. Seeing a German, Jew married to a half black and half Native American. People get confused.

Just because you have minorities in your family tree, doesn't mean that you get a pass on racism.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Just because you have minorities in your family tree, doesn't mean that you get a pass on racism.

So you're saying he's passin'?

You don't smell it?:ph34r:

Maybe passive . . .
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama

Just because you have minorities in your family tree, doesn't mean that you get a pass on racism

Your right, I dont get a pass on it. In fact I have to be careful even more, because I may piss off someone that might leave me some money in their will.
Dom

Just because you have minorities in your family tree, doesn't mean that you get a pass on racism

Your right, I dont get a pass on it. In fact I have to be careful even more, because I may piss off someone that might leave me some money in their will.

Not if they are minorities.:o

:D:D:D:D J/K:D

I was using a term, "passin' " (i.e., "passing"), that was more in vogue during the early to mid 20th Century, but became more or less arcane by around the 1980's. I was referring to this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Passing_(racial_identity)

AH . . . Yes - I see where that would be relevant.

I believe that penomenon is called "Wannabe" or "Poser":ph34r:

In Reply To
In Reply To

Not if they are minorities.Shocked

LaughLaughLaughLaugh J/KLaugh

Now I understand why people get called racist. Even when they think they are not. [:/]
Dom

In Reply To
In Reply To

Not if they are minorities.Shocked

LaughLaughLaughLaugh J/KLaugh

Now I understand why people get called racist. Even when they think they are not. [:/]

I don't think I'm not. I think everyone is.:)

Or if Mexican govt could get rid of all the corruption they have in their LE and Military and do something to help their own people with jobs in their own country then maybe we would see less of this activity as well.

That sounds about as easy as balancing the US budget. And just as likely to happen.

This isn't about illegal immigration, if you really want to get to the gist of this problem it's drugs. Address this problem and you're on the right track. It doesn't matter if we spend hundreds of millions on border security, the cartels will find clever ways around that and they have billions and don't abide by the rule of law. We've spent over a trillion dollars fighting the war on drugs and looked where it's taken us. The WSJ had an article that stated the Mexican cartels get half their revenue from marijuana. I don't want to turn this into pot debate, but take the profit motive out of the drug trade. Legalize marijuana and move on. Hit 'em where it hurts, their wallets.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704254604574614230731506644.html

This isn't about illegal immigration, if you really want to get to the gist of this problem it's drugs. Address this problem and you're on the right track. It doesn't matter if we spend hundreds of millions on border security, the cartels will find clever ways around that and they have billions and don't abide by the rule of law. We've spent over a trillion dollars fighting the war on drugs and looked where it's taken us. The WSJ had an article that stated the Mexican cartels get half their revenue from marijuana. I don't want to turn this into pot debate, but take the profit motive out of the drug trade. Legalize marijuana and move on. Hit 'em where it hurts, their wallets.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704254604574614230731506644.html

Then they'll start kidnapping us instead!

There is a downside to taking away their revenue, at least in the short to midterm (10 years).

This isn't about illegal immigration

If you listened to the speech that they AZ governor gave when she signed the bill she said almost the same thing.

She seemed more concerned about the violence that is happening in her state near the border.

Fact is, a large percentage of illegal immigrants happen to be criminals in there own countries. Part of the reason they cant come here legally in the first place. You think that those people will come here and play by the rules just because they are in America? Hell no. They will continue to do what they do. Only now they have a pool of victims that have more that they can take from.

The WSJ had an article that stated the Mexican cartels get half their revenue from marijuana. I don't want to turn this into pot debate, but take the profit motive out of the drug trade. Legalize marijuana and move on. Hit 'em where it hurts, their wallets.

Different debate. I agree but, they will still kill over the cocaine and what ever else they bring in.

I think if we are going to legalize weed, we should be doing it for other reasons then just to stop drug cartels from killing people. Like the fact that weed is not the horrible drug that the govt. make it out to be and it could really be a great way to improve our economy.

Do you know, that the cotton industry is one of the largest lobbying forces in the U.S.? Why? Hemp. Scares the hell out of them.
Dom

been called a racists ***

I'm sure they meant the "universal" racist

Or "royal"

Yes, thanks
I feel better now
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

Kidnapping for what? Money? The drug trade is estimated to be over $20 billion annually, no way in hell would kidnapping bring even one tenth of that in one year. Let along make it a steady source of income.

What is the short-term downside to taking away half their revenue? Like I said before this 'war of drugs' has cost us over one trillion dollars and god knows how many lives on both sides. It's not working, it hasn't been working for decades. The cartels could care less about human lives and laws. All they want is money. Take their money away, or even better their ability to generate money and you will hurt them.

Different debate. I agree but, they will still kill over the cocaine and what ever else they bring in.

There will always be illegal drugs, it's a fact of life. But taking away their cash cow, i.e., marijuana will definitely hurt them. From what that article said mj is their bread and butter, it's a steady stream of revenue that they use to finance other activities.

Do you know, that the cotton industry is one of the largest lobbying forces in the U.S.? Why? Hemp. Scares the hell out of them.

I didn't know that and I can see why they are against the legalization of it.

Do you believe that if pot is legalized and the drug dealers lose 1/2 their revenue that their reaction would just be "Oh, well"?

Violence would increase first.

Further, a black market will remain, unless pot is available without restrictions and without being highly taxed.

Do you believe that if pot is legalized and the drug dealers lose 1/2 their revenue that their reaction would just be "Oh, well"?

Of course not. These guys are extremely resourceful. I read that they liquidized cocaine and put it in a shipment of wine bottles.:S But we are talking about securing our borders. There is no simple answer, but we have to start somewhere. What would you suggest?

Violence would increase first.

Violence within the cartels would increase. They would scramble to secure the remaining resources and markets the have. I'd rather have them killing each other off than civilians, polices officers, judges and attorneys.

Further, a black market will remain, unless pot is available without restrictions and without being highly taxed.

Ever since we legalized MJ here in Cali the street market has pretty much dried up. Yes, there will always be a black market, but nowhere near as much as when MJ was illegal.

Of course not. These guys are extremely resourceful. I read that they liquidized cocaine and put it in a shipment of wine bottles.:S But we are talking about securing our borders. There is no simple answer, but we have to start somewhere. What would you suggest?

I'd start by encouraging their respective governments to go after their financial assets. I'd treat them the same way we used to treat war criminals and terrorists before political correctness weakened our resolve. Perhaps an International Prison at Guantanamo Bay. We could have the Peruvian Govt. administer it since they seen to do such a good job.

After the end of Prohibition in the US there was still a black market for alcohol, but there's no doubt that its repeal changed the face of organized crime and overall reduced corruption in the police forces and local governments.
This Cato Institute report on the effect of the end of Prohibition has quite a bit of information, including a cool chart on p. 7 showing how homicides went down dramatically after the end of Prohibition.

I don't think the end of many drug controls would have a significantly different effect.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)