Gawain

Al Gore's New $8.875M Monticello Villa

>Even if he only uses renewable energy, it is still a LIMITED resource. and
>he is using A LOT of it. . . ., makes him a really big enviro hypo.

So if he advocates renewable energy, and uses it, he's a hypocrite. If he advocates renewable energy, and can't be bothered to use it, and uses cheap coal power instead, he's not a hypocrite.

There's some fine right wing logic right there. I guess I'm an even bigger hypocrite since I generate all my own power. If I lectured other people on installing solar, and didn't do it myself, I guess I'd be a lot less of a hypocrite.

So if he advocates renewable energy, and uses it, he's a hypocrite. If he advocates renewable energy, and can't be bothered to use it, and uses cheap coal power instead, he's not a hypocrite.

There's some fine right wing logic right there. I guess I'm an even bigger hypocrite since I generate all my own power. If I lectured other people on installing solar, and didn't do it myself, I guess I'd be a lot less of a hypocrite.

If Al Gore did as you did, he would be respectable. As it stands, he is a hypocrite.

Is it possible for him to get to your level of power independence? Absolutely. I would wager that it would be EASIER for Gore financially to get to your level of power independence.

The issue is, if he is so able, why doesn't he do it? Why isn't he WILLIING to set the example?

He is not holding up to what he preaches.

I will back him 100% when he is 100% independant of non-renuable energy.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

>He is not holding up to what he preaches.

So if he does what he preaches, he's a hypocrite. If he doesn't do what he preaches, he's a hypocrite.

>Is it possible for him to get to your level of power independence?
>Absolutely.

At which point he'd be a hypocrite again because he'd be using up the (limited) amount of renewable energy instead of allowing others to use it by putting it on the grid.

I think the real issue here is "he's Al Gore. It doesn't matter what he does; we hate his guts."

At which point he'd be a hypocrite again because he'd be using up the (limited) amount of renewable energy instead of allowing others to use it by putting it on the grid.

Well, you finally got to the issue of Gore's hypocrisy, even if your reasoning about it was upside down and backwards. Congrats.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Wrong. As usual, you've twisted the logic attempting to appear smarter than others.

He's a big hyp because he uses so much energy. There is only so much of the renewable source energy available on the grid right now. That, and because he also uses so much non renewable energy in other ways that he could avoid. I am so super cereal.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

Wrong. As usual, you've twisted the logic attempting to appear smarter than others.

He's a big hyp because he uses so much energy. There is only so much of the renewable source energy available on the grid right now. That, and because he also uses so much non renewable energy in other ways that he could avoid. I am so super cereal.

Very poor logic. He HAS installed solar panels and he HAS installed a geothermal system and he HAS installed solar fans in his current home.

Gore is a rich bastard. Rich bastards get to use more resources than the homeless and indigent - that's the American Way.

You need to compare Gore with other rich bastards, not with the average Joe.

How many other multi-millionaires live in LEED gold-certified homes?

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

How many other multi-millionaires are telling the 'little people' that they have to cut back their energy usage?
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Wrong on multiple counts.

He IS using solar. He IS using geothermal. His current home is LEED gold-certified.

You have no idea what he will do with his new house - all your pontificating is pure guesswork.

How many other multi-millionaires are telling the 'little people' that they have to cut back their energy usage?

As long as the energy is from renewable sources it matters not how much you use.

I guess you are yet another one who is totally clueless on the concept of sustainability.

As long as the energy is from renewable sources it matters not how much you use.

Super - so that one solar installation or wind turbine can power the entire country - the Goreacle® has saved us all and we can shut down all the gas and coal fired power plants!

I guess you are yet another one who is totally clueless on the concept of sustainability.

There's someone clueless in this convo, but it ain't me.
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

STUPID COMMENT ALERT - so that one solar installation or wind turbine can power the entire country - the Goreacle® has saved us all and we can shut down all the gas and coal fired power plants!

There's someone clueless in this convo, but it ain't me.

Your stupid comments not withstanding, how does your consumption of fossil fuel energy compare with Gore's?

Wrong on multiple counts.

He IS using solar. He IS using geothermal. His current home is LEED gold-certified.

Right. It wasn't for years. Not until somebody called him out on it.

How did he act when he didn't think anybody was watching? What did he do when eyes were on him?

That's what is the compelling factor.

[Reply]You have no idea what he will do with his new house

If he really is what he holds himself out to be, then there would be zero doubt what he would do.

I think that it escapes your mind that by even mentioning doubt as to what he would do it shows the profound difference between what he advocates and what he does.

We don't know whether he'll green his house. That's actually my point!!!

[Reply]- all your pontificating is pure guesswork.

Not really. If he puts in an energy efficient air conditioner then I would suggest that he is being wasteful. Very wasteful since it rarely even hits 90 degrees there and air conditioning is opening the window.

Geothermal? It rarely even drops into the 30's there. How much energy and resources will be devoted to that when they can put wood in the fireplace 10 days per year?

As a college student there I know the place well. Never had AC or used a heater or a fireplace. if he was to live 20 minutes away in the Santa Ynez valley? Yeah. I could see it.

Solar? Absolutely. A good place for it - if he cuts back the trees and foliage (which he should do because Montecito tends to catch fire every now and then).

So I can certainly form conclusions on the basis of what he does. Will he remove the lawn? Water is a HUGE issue there and a SUSTAINABILITY issue. Will he engineer a wetland for his septic and remove himself from the system?

What would a person who is a Nobel Laureate due to environmental activism do? Should there be any doubt at all?

My wife is hotter than your wife.

STUPID COMMENT ALERT

Don't be so hard on yourself.

how does your consumption of fossil fuel energy compare with Gore's?

My electric bill is about 100/month - YOU do the math, genius.
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

STUPID COMMENT ALERT

Don't be so hard on yourself.

If you're so smart, how come you keep confusing total energy use with non-renewable energy use?

OK, you've admitted you don't know what he will do, and vainly attempted to conceal that fact with lawyerspeak. You have tried and convicted him with only your guesses for evidence.

If you're so smart, how come you keep confusing total energy use with non-renewable energy use?

I don't - if YOU'RE so smart, how come you can't figure out that a power company can't supply unlimited amounts of power through the infrastructure, regardless of what the source is?

Gore has taken steps to reduce his dependence of fossil fuel - good for him. A lot of other people are, too - good for them. That does NOT mitigate the fact that Gore is STILL using 10x the energy that the average household does.
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

I've admitted that I don't know what he will do. You admit it.

We know what the gospel according to Al says to do. We have no idea whether he'll follow his own advice.

It means everyone - including you - knows that he cannot be trusted to do as he advocates.

He cannot be trusted. You don't trust him. Because his history shows that he will not do as he says.

Another of those who knows what everybody else should do. the added costs will be sent to him. It is magbificent business and splendid marketing. It worked for Jimmy Swaggart. Jim Bakker. Till we found out that he didn't practice what he preached. Then they were abandoned.

And Al Gore gets defended because, well, he's just a special kinda guy who does better by any qualitative standards than you or me.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

Your stupid comments not withstanding, how does your consumption of fossil fuel energy compare with Gore's?

we can safely presume it to be far far less just based on Gore's flying mileage.

another reminder - solar panels have to be constructed. Same with wind mills, which do kill off birds. "Renewable" power still has costs with it, so using a huge amount of it unnecessarily is still not green.

We know what the gospel according to Al says to do. We have no idea whether he'll follow his own advice.

He followed his own advice in Nashville.

It means everyone - including you - knows that he cannot be trusted to do as he advocates.

He cannot be trusted. You don't trust him. Because his history shows that he will not do as he says.

His house in Nashville is LEED rated. Is your house LEED rated? It's not clear to me what additional things he could do with it.

You really don't have anything admissable, do you? Just speculation and grudge.

we can safely presume it to be far far less just based on Gore's flying mileage.

another reminder - solar panels have to be constructed. Same with wind mills, which do kill off birds. "Renewable" power still has costs with it, so using a huge amount of it unnecessarily is still not green.

Speculation and grudge.

If you want to prove him a hypocrite, you have to PROVE that Gore's Nashville home isn't "green". I don't have to prove that it is, since I have no claim about him to back up.

His house in Nashville is LEED rated. Is your house LEED rated? It's not clear to me what additional things he could do with it.

without saying anything about Al Gore, LEED ratings don't mean a whole bunch to me.

I have 2 friends who are LEED "inspectors" they laughed about the "test". Tell me it was a joke, and the "inspection" is little more than a fee to get a rubberstamp.

The building I work in is LEED rated. The facilities guy told me they just had the inspector come, and they didn't make any changes. Either the building was designed LEED compliant 16 years ago (not likely) or the certification is similarly a joke.
--
Rob

I really would have expected better from you John. Really, are you sure you are even in the same conversation?

You are playing as if you don't understand what the argument is about and/or you are trying to divert from the real issue being discussed here.

This is not about any poster here vs. Al Gore - it is AL Gore vs What he preaches. You should be able to argue that, correct?

IF he were TRULY concerned about the use of energy, and planet polution, he would not only follow his own suggestions, he would do so, and also produce enough of his own renuable energy to give back to the power companies for free to help out those that have need. If you doubt that, just look at Billvon's energy usage in ratio to income/holdings.

But don't try to compare what we have vs what he has. It is not even a little bit part of the argument here.

There is no defense, so admit it, he's a hypocrite.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

>another reminder - solar panels have to be constructed. Same with wind
>mills, which do kill off birds.

Same with coal fired power plants, which have to be constructed, kill a lot of birds (and people) while running and then require millions of tons of fossil fuels a year for their entire operational life. Solar and wind plants, once constructed, do not require fuel to operate.

No power source is perfect. Some are better than others.

Good God, get off it. It just got rated LAST YEAR!! This man has been on a "man-bear-pig" rampage for a decade.
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

Those are very big Ifs. I thought that he purchased his energy from renewable-source providers. That is of course different than making it yourself, but is that what he actually does?

Gore's Nashville home has 33 solar panels, solar roof fans, a rainwater collection system, and a Geo-System (TM) geothermal heating system. It is LEED gold certified. Please explain how that increases your use of non-renewable energy sources.

if he was really genuine, he would do all that, but in an average sized home, and have only one. if that were the case, think of how much electricity he could put onto the grid for everyone else, reducing the amount of coal TVA had to burn to generate power.

"Your scrotum is quite nice" - Skymama
www.kjandmegan.com