ridestrong

Obama upset about the oil spill "blame game"... Seriously?

>Are those numbers just for the turbines themselves?

The O+M numbers cover land rental, admin overhead etc so it's for the plant rather than the individual turbines.

By the way, I would like to see where you get your numbers

Got the cost/kwhr from the AWEA website. The operation/maintenance costs came from DEWI, the German wind energy organization. (Germany was the biggest generator of wind energy until recently.) Cost and efficiency for coal came from the US Energy Information Administration.

http://www.eia.doe.gov/coal/page/coalnews/coalmar.html

http://www.wind-energy-the-facts.org/en/part-3-economics-of-wind-power/chapter-1-cost-of-on-land-wind-power/operation-and-maintenance-costs-of-wind-generated-power.html

http://www.awea.org/faq/wwt_costs.html

>Are those numbers just for the turbines themselves?

The O+M numbers cover land rental, admin overhead etc so it's for the plant rather than the individual turbines.

By the way, I would like to see where you get your numbers

Got the cost/kwhr from the AWEA website. The operation/maintenance costs came from DEWI, the German wind energy organization. (Germany was the biggest generator of wind energy until recently.) Cost and efficiency for coal came from the US Energy Information Administration.

http://www.eia.doe.gov/coal/page/coalnews/coalmar.html

http://www.wind-energy-the-facts.org/en/part-3-economics-of-wind-power/chapter-1-cost-of-on-land-wind-power/operation-and-maintenance-costs-of-wind-generated-power.html

http://www.awea.org/faq/wwt_costs.html

Thanks
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

I am living with and around these things in huge numberes and they are looking more and more like a joke everyday. But they are in favor with the tree huggers and thier cronies in the government so we build them.

I personally dont want to be within one or two miles of the noisy bastards but soon here in Iowa I may not have a choice if I want to continue to live out in the rural areas.

But, they are being build for tax incentives and future carbon offsets trades should that mess come into being
A waste of money

I was having a chat with the CEO of the country's largest electric utility company on Saturday. He does NOT share your views either on renewable energy or on cap and trade, and I strongly suspect he is rather better informed on the economics of the subjects than you are. His capitalist credentials are, of course, unimpeachable.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

I was having a chat with the CEO of the country's largest electric utility company on Saturday. He does NOT share your views either on renewable energy or on cap and trade, and I strongly suspect he is rather better informed on the economics of the subjects than you are. His capitalist credentials are, of course, unimpeachable.

Anecdote != data
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

>Anecdote != data

True for both sides. So what good data do we have?

One bit is a paper on the US Acid Rain program, a cap-and-trade system to reduce SOx and NOx. The author concluded "that for regional or larger-scale air pollution problems, such as acid rain and pollution transport, a well-designed cap-and-trade program can be cost-effective, flexible, and easy to implement with clear benefits that can be sustained into the future."

Another is data from the NOx Budget Trading Program. The summary here is "that regional cap-and-trade programs are adaptable to more than one
pollutant, time period, and geographic scale, and can achieve compliance results similar to the Acid Rain Program."

(Ref for above: http://www.epa.gov/captrade/lessons.html)

A third is the Regional Clean Air Incentives Market, a cap and trade program in California intended to reduce SOx and NOx above and beyond federal levels. It worked to reduce emissions but not nearly as well. The problem there was that the caps were initially set far too high so there was little incentive to do anything.

I am living with and around these things in huge numberes and they are looking more and more like a joke everyday. But they are in favor with the tree huggers and thier cronies in the government so we build them.

I personally dont want to be within one or two miles of the noisy bastards but soon here in Iowa I may not have a choice if I want to continue to live out in the rural areas.

But, they are being build for tax incentives and future carbon offsets trades should that mess come into being
A waste of money

I am glad you got the answer you wanted considering the political climate they need to survive in. Bravo for you to get yours:S

One thing I will give you. HE IS better informed on the political climate his capitalist dependent company has to survive in today. Do you think he would say anything different?
Abraham Lincoln

By the way
Please share the name of the CEO and the company he heads up.

Oh, and what event did you speak to him/her at?

Thanks
Abraham Lincoln

Anecdote != data

A rather absurd statement for you to make when the topic is someone's opinion.

Anecdote != data

What CEO? Which company? What gathering

Before your no answer you will get the

YA. OK. right:S
Abraham Lincoln

Where are the tea-baggers and Palin-wannabes shouting DRILL, BABY, DRILL?

Didn't you hear? They're now denying they ever said that...
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
Not sure what this exchange is supposed to mean.

1) Why are citizens being described as "tea-baggers?..."

2) What's wrong with oil? Its a natural substance, a very efficient fuel, and there's plenty of it...

3) Nobody ever said drilling for oil did not involve any risk whatsoever of mishaps & other imperfections.

While these rare accidents are annoying, the overall safety record of the oil industry is one most riggers would be happy to shout from the rooftops.

Remember Prince William Sound in 1989? Yes it was a mess, but nature cleaned it up. As She will do in the Gulf.

Most offensive about this incident is the eagerness of Obama & ilk to assign blame and pursue congressional witch-hunt "hearings" rather than work with BP to help fix the problem. This is consistent with both the secular-humanist religious philosophy that drives left-wing politics (that is, that mankind can be perfected, therefore, any failure to achieve perfection is regarded as "negligence" with prosecution & punishment the proper response) and the anti-business, anti-"corporation," anti-capitalism prosyletizing to which public school students are exposed on a regular basis.

What this situation calls for is yet another pompous speech...

Cheers, Jon S.

>Why are citizens being described as "tea-baggers?..."

Because they described themselves that way. "Teabag the White House" read their signs.

>2) What's wrong with oil? Its a natural substance, a very efficient fuel,
>and there's plenty of it...

Properly managed there's nothing wrong with it. It's not an efficient fuel at all, compared to uranium, hydrogen or deuterium/tritium. it's just very, very cheap and easy to burn.

However it is much more valuable as a feedstock for industrial processes that produce polymers (think plastics, nylon, polypropylene.)

>While these rare accidents are annoying, the overall safety record of the
>oil industry is one most riggers would be happy to shout from the
>rooftops.

Most riggers would not be happy with a bill for $5 billion for damages.

>3) Nobody ever said drilling for oil did not involve any risk whatsoever of
>mishaps & other imperfections.

Correct. Which is why it may not be a good idea to drill ever larger numbers of offshore wells.

>Most offensive about this incident is the eagerness of Obama & ilk to
>assign blame and pursue congressional witch-hunt "hearings" rather than
>work with BP to help fix the problem.

Both are important. Without determining what went wrong, no one can help ensure it won't happen again. Without getting the Coast Guard and the Navy to support BP's efforts, they would be very handicapped.

Fortunately both are happening.

>What this situation calls for is yet another pompous speech...

Apparently it calls for a pompous "blame Obama" post. Good luck with that.

Anecdote != data

I'll help out Kallend. GE stands to make large amounts of Bank off of Cap and Tax. To bad it will decimate the rest of the country.:S

Edited to Add Al Gore Inc also.....
"There is an art, it says, or, rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."
Life, the Universe, and Everything

Anecdote != data

I'll help out Kallend. GE stands to make large amounts of Bank off of Cap and Tax. To bad it will decimate the rest of the country.:S

Edited to Add Al Gore Inc also.....

Yes, GE is positioning themselves to do very well under cap n tax. That is why thier special interest group is lobbying for it.

But I think we are all expected to take kallends word of his contact and communication

Ya, right:D
Abraham Lincoln

Anecdote != data

CEO of the country's largest electric utility company

C'mon Marc, you're in the business. You can figure it out if you think REEEAALLY hard.

Anecdote != data

C'mon Marc, you're in the business. You can figure it out if you think REEEAALLY hard.

I already have

You are blowin smoke out your ass again
Abraham Lincoln

Anecdote != data

I already have

Are you saying I didn't chat with him on Saturday?

Anecdote != data

I already have

Who, when and where is all I am asking oh avoiding one
Abraham Lincoln

Anecdote != data

I already have

But you've already worked that out, You just told us that.

Anecdote != data

I already have

More smoke

Thanks kalledn
You are showing yet again who and what you are

:)
Abraham Lincoln

Anecdote != data

I already have

More smoke

Thanks kalledn

Why are you asking for information you claim to have already? Could it be that you really haven't worked it out at all?;)

Anecdote != data

I already have

More smoke

Thanks kalledn

Why are you asking for information you claim to have already? Could it be that you really haven't worked it out at all?;)

More smoke
more misdirection
move avoidance
typical kallend

you are a Sophist
Abraham Lincoln

>Most offensive about this incident is the eagerness of Obama & ilk to
>assign blame and pursue congressional witch-hunt "hearings" rather than
>work with BP to help fix the problem.

Both are important. Without determining what went wrong, no one can help ensure it won't happen again. Without getting the Coast Guard and the Navy to support BP's efforts, they would be very handicapped.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

The oil industry already has plenty of incentive to learn what went wrong and take steps to make corrections. NO strong-arm "encouragement" from government is necessary. This process can take place without an aggressive us vs. them, jack-boot-to-the-throat attitude on the part of Obama and his merry band of totalitarian control-freak Democrats.

Once again, the knee-jerk reaction is to criminalize an accident and treat everyone invovled as if they had done it on purpose.

>What this situation calls for is yet another pompous speech...

Apparently it calls for a pompous "blame Obama" post.,,
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Obama has nothing to do with this. He is no more responsible for an oil rig mishap than Bush was for a bridge collapse or for a hurricane that ended up killing a bunch of people who were too stupid to heed warnings to get out of the way.

Obama is the one pointing fingers and slinging blame, making accusatory public statements and inciting an atmosphere of hatred & contempt toward an industry that has done more to elevate our standard of living than this little nigger Hitler wannabe ever will.

Why the hell does he think that every incident requires the direct invovlement of the President?

Cheers,
Jon

...this little nigger Hitler wannabe...

Wow! That really says a lot... about YOU.

...inciting an atmosphere of hatred & contempt toward an industry...

You think the giant oil slick that has shut down fishing and tourism across the Louisiana and Alabama coast has nothing to do with people's attitudes towards the industry?

Why the hell does he think that every incident requires the direct invovlement of the President?

Because he's a politician, and he knows exactly what response would result if he was to shrug his shoulders and say "too bad so sad, what's good for big oil is good for America so all you fishermen can just suck it up". Great for all you Obama-haters though, you get to stroke your hate-G-spot if he speaks out, and you get to stroke it if he doesn't. Win-win!

Enjoy your little hate orgasm.

Don

Obama is the one pointing fingers and slinging blame, making accusatory public statements and inciting an atmosphere of hatred & contempt toward an industry that has done more to elevate our standard of living than this little nigger Hitler wannabe ever will.

I was going to join the conversation. Then you erased any shred of credibility that I might have assumed you possessed. Way to go Jon.

I already have

More smoke

Thanks kalledn

More smoke
more misdirection
move avoidance
typical kallend

you are a Sophist

Ummm - it was YOU that said you know already. So why not tell people what you know instead of making personal attacks?