base851

Texas Makes The Best BBQ

Answer the fucking question; is there a McCafe anywhere in the USA that searves esspresso coffee, freshly baked cakes and sandwhiches and allowes you to sit on real funature and drink and eat from porcelain dishes?

A quick search shows that there are McCafes in the U.S., but I have no idea if they use porcelain dishes. And coffee and cakes are not really my idea of healthy food.

If he spent more time on research and less time showing his ignorance he might seem credible.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

The thing that gives me the biggest laugh in all this is that rhys objects to Americans drawing generalizations about other countries by.... making a generalization. It's either incredibly brilliant or incredibly dense, depending on the angle.

I make generalisations, you make generalisations and I never said I object to americans drawing generalisations about other countries. I object to americans imposing their (unsustainable, unhealy and corrupt) lifestyles on other countries.

Americans really do not like hearing that other people don't like them. It is beyond comprehention to many that america can do any bad. This is due to propoganda.

you are told that america is the greatest country in the world from the time you are born.

What ever happend to being just another country that does things its own way?
I agree that texan BBQ may be the best... to a Texan.

And Aussie BBQ will be the best to an aussie....
some might like BBQ from another state or country better than thier own, we al have our own taste. But if one is going to claim the best overall, thay had better be able to substanciate that claim.

Attitude has more than alot to do with it.
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

If he spent more time on research and less time showing his ignorance he might seem credible.

So how many of these have you seen? We have had these in New Zealand for almost a decade now. they are in almost every major shopping centre and outlet, some Maccas don't have a McCafe but most these days do.

beleive me i looked for one when I was there because it intrigued me that I could not find one!

have you seen one?
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

So how many of these have you seen? We have had these in New Zealand for almost a decade now. they are in almost every major shopping centre and outlet, some Maccas don't have a McCafe but most these days do.

beleive me i looked for one when I was there because it intrigued me that I could not find one!

have you seen one?

I have built 2 of them.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama

It's not about a comparison. You're making statements about things in the U.S. that are incorrect, and, as someone who has a lot more experience with the U.S., I am disagreeing with you.

tell me what is wrong with this statement;

Mcdonalds Corporation implemented the Mccafe chain in order to keep thier market share in countries other than the USA because the customers there demanded a higher quality of product.

What do you have in New Zealand that makes you so much more informed?

on he contrary it is what I have learned after travelling around the world that has led me to make such comparisons.

In the last 5 years I have been to, (in this order) Australia, Thailand, Norway, Sweden, Germany, Qatar Tanzania, Kenya, Russia, Zambia, Zimbabwe, USA ,France, Fiji , the phillipines and UAE. I have not lived in New Zealand for over 5 years.

The USA had lower quality food than most of these countries.

That is not to say that all those counties have the abundance of food that the USA has, the USA by far had the most processed, unhelthy food around and the quality of the ingredients of the food I ate that was readily available was much lower in the USA than most of those places.

The shitty food places in the USA had large lines of people waiting and the nice places were comparitively quiet. There was a nice place that made home cooked style meals (in Lodi can't rememebr the name), but it was always quiet and the food was searved on plastic[:/].

Resturaunts where you pay more than $30 for a meal are an exception of course and i'm sure the metropolitan centres have healthy fast food options but I did not spend much time at all in those places as I hate cities.

There are always examples on both ends of the spectrum but you just have to look at what is more prevelant to see what the local population is more fond of.

A quick search shows that there are McCafes in the U.S., but I have no idea if they use porcelain dishes. And coffee and cakes are not really my idea of healthy food.

quality and healthy are two diffrent things, I can eat reletively unhealthy food as i have a high metabolism and I am very active.

cakes and chocolate are my weakness!:)

I'm not trying to argue that we're a nation of health nuts; we're certainly not. It's just that when you think that _all_ Americans live on hot dogs and McDonald's cheeseburgers, you're wrong. It's sort of a big and diverse country to be making sweeping generalizations about anything.

It is hard to encompass the varying attitudes and tastes of over 300 million different people in a generalisation, so one would usually use the most prevailent examples.

So you found that in a google seach, haw many resturunts like this have you seen in the third dimention?

It's hard for me to believe that "McDonalds" (or McAnything) is even being mentioned in any discussion about "Best BBQ", whatever the context. The McRib sandwich disqualifies them and they should be banished from even attempting BBQ.......forever, as far as I'm concerned! :)

So you found that in a google seach, haw many resturunts like this have you seen in the third dimention?

And I respond again . . .

You seem to have a habit of replying to a comment and then forgetting that you already did. You must be that guy that thinks, "Ooooooh, I should have said THIS, yeah, THAT would make me sound cool.":ph34r:

It's hard for me to believe that "McDonalds" (or McAnything) is even being mentioned in any discussion about "Best BBQ", whatever the context. The McRib sandwich disqualifies them and they should be banished from even attempting BBQ.......forever, as far as I'm concerned! :)

for goodness sake - lets talk about BBQ - I am hungry. To through in my lot, I am going to say that Southern Africa have the best BBQ (but better call it by its "proper" name Braai! Lots of steak and boerewors with decent beer!

PS my best braai experiences have been "in the bush" with logs/folding chairs for seating and no porcelain in sight!
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

for goodness sake - lets talk about BBQ - I am hungry. To through in my lot, I am going to say that Southern Africa have the best BBQ (but better call it by its "proper" name Braai! Lots of steak and boerewors with decent beer!

PS my best braai experiences have been "in the bush" with logs/folding chairs for seating and no porcelain in sight!

Yeah, I can see where you'd need porcelain seating after eating a McRib. :D:D (I know that's not what you meant, but I couldn't resist.)
Never tried SA BBQ but a friend shared some of his springbok jerky that he received as a "care package" from home. ...MMMMMMMMMM!

I have built 2 of them.

Which ones, where and when?

Not that I don't believe you, i am compelled to take your word for it but i don't understand why you would have waited until after you posted a link to a 2 year old article about them to mention that.

Mcafe in america was limited to flavoured coffee in a plastic cup at a regular mcdonalds as far as I saw.

These ones you built, how long have they been open and what is the extent of the menu.

Yeah, I can see where you'd need porcelain seating after eating a McRib. LaughLaugh (I know that's not what you meant, but I couldn't resist.)
Never tried SA BBQ but a friend shared some of his springbok jerky that he received as a "care package" from home. ...MMMMMMMMMM!

I got your point, but to clarify to others, Mccafe does not sell hamburgers or fries or McLipsandassholes.

it sells coffee, tea and 'Cafe' stuff, hence the name mccafe.

:S

usually thry have a regular mcdonalds and a Mccafe at the same place (not always) but they still have the regulr stuff to keep the fat cunts happy and the good stauff to keep the rest of us happy.

i don't eat there very often but it is a good example of how market demand will alter what a corporation offers.

I will have a tea and cake and use the free wifi there from time to time. the free wifi is usually the drawcard for me.

I have built 2 of them.

Which ones, where and when?

Not that I don't believe you, i am compelled to take your word for it but i don't understand why you would have waited until after you posted a link to a 2 year old article about them to mention that.

Mcafe in america was limited to flavoured coffee in a plastic cup at a regular mcdonalds as far as I saw.

These ones you built, how long have they been open and what is the extent of the menu.

One is in Lewisville and one is in Carrolton. One was finished in 1998 an the other was done just after that, could have been 2000, but likely in 1999. The Cafe part was a remodel after the original. They were ahead of their time. The original owner went back to the retro outside and finished the insides in a Ralph Lauren plaid motif, and mahogony wainscoting. The furnishings were, and more than likely still are (as of a year ago) all antuiques he has his buyers purchase at estate sales. The first one he did (not by me) was coined, "McMansion" because of the chandeliers that he had installed, as they were quite expensive (10k each including the celing rose). The ones that I took care of only had 4 valued at about 3K to 5K per each. The flooring was 24" x 24" x 12" x 1/2" marble tile in a black and white checkered pattern at a 45 degree angle to the counter - which ended up as a sepentine counter. All the artwork is by local artists that paint traditional landscapes and portaits.

The only part of the restaurant that is "McDonaldish" would be the playground. In that we installed glow in the dark wallpaper and blacklights, and a custom engraved space themed floor (also UV reactive) that was cutting edge at the time as it was covered with a new poly that was non slip and harder than epoxy, but doesn't yellow.

You should go visit next time you come through dusty old Texas.

>is there a McCafe anywhere in the USA that searves esspresso coffee,
>freshly baked cakes and sandwhiches and allowes you to sit on real
>funature and drink and eat from porcelain dishes?

While I have no doubt that New Zealand has some great cuisine, the argument "our McDonald's are better than yours" may not be the best way to demonstrate that.

"Our beer is much better than yours! Our Schlitz Malt Liquor comes in wine bottles!"

>is there a McCafe anywhere in the USA that searves esspresso coffee,
>freshly baked cakes and sandwhiches and allowes you to sit on real
>funature and drink and eat from porcelain dishes?

While I have no doubt that New Zealand has some great cuisine, the argument "our McDonald's are better than yours" may not be the best way to demonstrate that.

"Our beer is much better than yours! Our Schlitz Malt Liquor comes in wine bottles!"

ooh - I think Red Dog does too.:ph34r:

The funny thing is that their McDonald's (according to the website anyway) has basically the same selection that ours does. You can get burgers and fries, or you can get grilled chicken, salads, fruit, etc. So I'm not really sure what he's going on about.

I can see that he's trying to use McDonald's as a representation of the type of food that customers demand (and therefore representative of how people in the area tend to eat). But since the U.S. and New Zealand McDonald's have basically the same menus, it's not making his case that New Zealanders eat healthier. (Maybe they do, but this isn't showing it.)

(And now I can't believe I'm sitting here on a lovely Sunday afternoon, arguing about McDonald's over the Internet. I think I'll go find something better to do. :D)

[replyOne is in Lewisville and one is in Carrolton. One was finished in 1998 an the other was done just after that, could have been 2000, but likely in 1999.

choice, why do you think the idea didn't take off in america? You know, how many more were built like that since.

If they can make a cup of tea that doesn't taste like bath water, I'll be there with bells on.

[replyWhile I have no doubt that New Zealand has some great cuisine, the argument "our McDonald's are better than yours" may not be the best way to demonstrate that.

It was more of a comparison of a common ground and an example of how (as I mentioned earlier) corporations will satisfy the demands of the customer.

Mcdonalds is an american franchise, it seems texas had some of the first Mccafes around from what the turtle says but the idea didn't seem to be the most popular idea.... in america anyway.

In NZ 'maccas' restaurants were actually closing down because they failed to turn a profit, customer satisfaction is a huge factor in how a company does business.

I thought it was quite interesting.

[replyOne is in Lewisville and one is in Carrolton. One was finished in 1998 an the other was done just after that, could have been 2000, but likely in 1999.

choice, why do you think the idea didn't take off in america? You know, how many more were built like that since.

If they can make a cup of tea that doesn't taste like bath water, I'll be there with bells on.I'll bet you be wanting a shanti next.:|

Texas T is black . . . as in Black Gold . . . Oil that is

So I guess we are all just S.O.L.

The funny thing is that their McDonald's (according to the website anyway) has basically the same selection that ours does. You can get burgers and fries, or you can get grilled chicken, salads, fruit, etc. So I'm not really sure what he's going on about.

Because you seem to be unable to relate to opinions other than you own.

I'll say for the umpteenth time, i used mcdonalds as an example as it is an american company that has invested more on quality in the over seas market than it has in its own country.

This says a lot about the market demand there. I don't expect you to understand, but at ;east i have attempted to inform you.

I'm over it, you guys can have your lifestyle and I'll have mine.

Because you seem to be unable to relate to opinions other than you own.

I'll say for the umpteenth time, i used mcdonalds as an example as it is an american company that has invested more on quality in the over seas market than it has in its own country.

This says a lot about the market demand there. I don't expect you to understand, but at ;east i have attempted to inform you.

I think that here McD has hollowed out a niche over the past 50 years that has so defined the company that it would be hard to get the general public to think of them any other way. They have begun to offer a more healthful selection, but it is still McDonalds in most people's minds. If I want "cafe-type" fare there are so many other options that the last place I would think about is McDonalds. I know they now offer latte's and such. But I would not even think about them unless I was in the store for a quick burger and fries and just happened to see them offered. Actually, before my kid was born I hadn't even been inside a McDonalds more than a very few times over the years since I was a kid. Even now, only 3-4 times a month. They do, BTW, have a reasonably good, cheap breakfast.

OK.

And if you do visit Texas, be sure to go to the part that is not dusty and dry; that's where the best bbq restaurants are. (But don't ask them for hot tea in a porcelain cup.) :P

OK.

And if you do visit Texas, be sure to go to the part that is not dusty and dry; that's where the best bbq restaurants are. (But don't ask them for hot tea in a porcelain cup.) :P

No - Do NOT ask for Tea inj a porcelain cup . . . they'll deport you to San Francisco, or Austin, and make you attend UT.

BBQ has more variety than women, it just depends on your preference, there is something for everyone

truthfully, the BBQ in SC is darn good but I did have some excellent BBQ at The Rib House near Longmont Colorado when visiting Jim Boller at Code 3 associates
Give one city to the thugs so they can all live together. I vote for Chicago where they have strict gun laws.