rushmc

Arctic Ice Levels

So how do you square this against the fact that NASA stated last month that their data sucks and that they know they have problems with it?

No, that is NOT what NASA stated. It is what some right wing sources misinterpreted NASA's statement to say.

Hi kallend

still avoiding reality I see:)
Have a nice day:D

Please provide a link to the NASA statement where they stated that their data "sucks". Not to a right wing blog or to FOX, but to the original source.

There is no source out there you will pay attention to if it goes against your predeterminded world view

:D:D

I would believe a NASA press release on the issue, rather than FOX NEWS's interpretation of it. Is there some part of "original" that you don't understand?

Oh I understand your standard tricks perfectly sirB|

They dont work like they used too now do they:D

but you see the point is not whether or not you read this stuff. It is a waste of time and breath to post to so, understand my posts like this are not aimed at you even though they are a reply to you

Have a nice day kallend:)
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

>so we can assume bad data is good data if you agree it

Nope. Nice try though. Perhaps you could throw an Al Gore attack in next; they're always popular with the denier crowd.

You consider this an attack? Hmm, kinda thined skin maybe?

In any event, you used NASA as a source

I simple asked how you sqared that with admited bad data.

Then you get all snotty and such. I then you insunuate I attack??

:D
Nice
Abraham Lincoln

So how do you square this against the fact that NASA stated last month that their data sucks and that they know they have problems with it?

No, that is NOT what NASA stated. It is what some right wing sources misinterpreted NASA's statement to say.

Hi kallend

still avoiding reality I see:)
Have a nice day:D

Please provide a link to the NASA statement where they stated that their data "sucks". Not to a right wing blog or to FOX, but to the original source.

There is no source out there you will pay attention to if it goes against your predeterminded world view

:D:D

I would believe a NASA press release on the issue, rather than FOX NEWS's interpretation of it. Is there some part of "original" that you don't understand?

Oh I understand your standard tricks perfectly sirB|

They dont work like they used too now do they:D

but you see the point is not whether or not you read this stuff. It is a waste of time and breath to post to so, understand my posts like this are not aimed at you even though they are a reply to you

Have a nice day kallend:)

INTERPRETATION: Marc can't actually find an original source where NASA states that their data "sucks" (sic).

It's rather like when you claimed I wanted to ban all guns, but when challenged you couldn't find anything to back your claim so you resorted to insults.

So you admit aiming your posts at people who won't ask you to confirm your fanciful claims with data from primary sources.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

>You consider this an attack?

Nope, I just saw it as your usual reply, probably leading to your usual string of posts. You're not reading well today.

>Then you get all snotty and such. I then you insunuate I attack??

You seem to read my posts about as well as you read science journals.

>You consider this an attack?

Nope, I just saw it as your usual reply, probably leading to your usual string of posts. You're not reading well today.

>Then you get all snotty and such. I then you insunuate I attack??

You seem to read my posts about as well as you read science journals.

Then you did not read well because it is a relavant question given the source you picked

A question you did not answer and just gave a snotty reply to and then whined about being attacked

Just another billvon reply?
Abraham Lincoln

I simple asked how you sqared that with admited bad data.

They never admitted bad data. The FOX piece was a hack job.
The email exchange that sparked the hacking was:

USA Today reporter:
..."[is it] correct to say that NASA's data is more accurate than NCDC's since it has more sources? In the media, it would be ideal to refer to one source rather than two."

Reto Ruedy from NASA replied:
" No, your statement is NOT correct; to get the US means, NCDC's procedure of only using the best stations is more accurate. If that were our goal, we would proceed in the same way. Actually, whenever we report on US means in our publications, we recompute all US means using only USHCN data.

My recommendation to you is to continue using NCDC's data for the US means and Phil Jones' data for the global means. Our method is geared to getting the global mean and large regional means correctly enough to assess our model results.

We are basically a modeling group and were forced into rudimentary analysis of global observed data in the 70's and early 80's since nobody else was doing that job at the time. Now we happily combine NCDC's and Hadley Center's data to get what we need to evaluate our model results. For that purpose, what we do is more than accurate enough. But we have no intention to compete with either of the other two organizations in what they do best."

E-mail messages obtained by a Freedom of Information Act request reveal that NASA concluded that its own climate findings were inferior to those maintained by both the University of East Anglia's Climatic Research Unit (CRU) -- the scandalized source of the leaked Climate-gate e-mails -- and the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration's National Climatic Data Center.

Abraham Lincoln

[reply============
Past Decade Warmest on Record, NASA Data Shows
By JOHN M. BRODER
Published: January 21, 2010

WASHINGTON — The decade ending in 2009 was the warmest on record, new surface temperature figures released Thursday by the National Aeronautics and Space Administration show.

The agency also found that 2009 was the second warmest year since 1880, when modern temperature measurement began. The warmest year was 2005. The other hottest recorded years have all occurred since 1998, NASA said.
=============

Which is expected until they further reduce the data and release updated numbers, which will appear on Page D-3 of the New York Times.

Also, this is one of the issues of climate science. The GISS data shows warming. The Hadley Center's data does not.

There is much difference in the actual raw data out there. We've got GISS data, which finds 2005 to be the warmest year. We've Got Hadley that finds 1998 still tops. What's going on?

The data itself isn't resolved.

>But if that were the case, then we would have seen between .2 and .8
>degrees C warming in the last decade considering the increase in CO2
>concetrations. It didn't happen.

You're making an awful lot of assumptions there.

Actually, these aren't my predictions. This is what Hansen, Schmidt, et al were saying. The scientists predicting on the basis of science.

reply] How much positive forcing occurred because of increased methane emissions? How much negative feedback did we get from increased snowfall and clouds? What effect did the reduced insolation from the low solar cycle we had over the last 11 years have?

More than one thing affects climate. That's why AGW effects are often described as "forcing" because it is one of the forces that affect the climate.

Yes. This was why I described the large number of relationships that must be modeled.

Barring any other effects it will get warmer.

Yes. It's those several thousand other things that are important.

Including other effects it will _tend_ to get warmer over time, but other factors will have their say as well.

Correct. This includes factors on the left and right side of the equation.

>and I'll put my money on, "yep. It's real. But it's not looking as bad
>as they said."

Agreed. Nor is it as benign as the deniers claim.

Agreed.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

>>>and I'll put my money on, "yep. It's real.
>>>But it's not looking as bad as they said."
>>Agreed. Nor is it as benign as the deniers claim.
>Agreed.

I'm sorry -- this road has no middle. You guys have to pick a side, and then talk about how your side is the best side in the history of sides.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

>There is much difference in the actual raw data out there. We've got GISS
>data, which finds 2005 to be the warmest year. We've Got Hadley that finds
>1998 still tops. What's going on?

The averages of the two data sets differ by less than a few hundredths of a degree, so that doesn't surprise me at all.

>The data itself isn't resolved.

The data is quite resolved. The means of reduction vary, and they emphasize different areas. For example, Hadley weights Arctic and Antarctic temperature measurements less, since they don't have as many monitoring stations there, whereas NASA extrapolates data between reporting sites and gives every area equal geographic weighting. If they were off by a degree, I'd be worried. Given that they're off by .05 degrees, I'm not as worried.

A while back I was making beer, and I calculated my strike temperature as 170F to get a 154F mash. So I filtered four gallons of water and put it on the stove. As I was heating up the water, I measured it via a digital thermometer. In the center it was consistently cooler than it was by the sides. At one point the outside was around 175 and the center was closer to 160F.

What's the average temperature of the water? You could average the two and claim that the water was around 167.5 degrees. You could weight the outer one more, since the outer half of the radius of the pot contains 3x the water than the inner half. In that case you'd get 171.25 degrees average. Which is correct? Is the fact that there are two potential answers mean that there is no correct answer, and that maybe the pot is really not warming up at all?

In my example above, the data was quite accurate, to the limits of the temperature probe (which from previous calibrations is within a few degrees.) The interpretation of the data could result in several similar, but not identical, results for average temperature.

Now, if it was important to you, you could start taking a lot more measurements. You could take a grid of temperature measurements and extrapolate between them; that would give you one answer. You could assume discrete boundaries between temperature zones; that would give you a slightly different answer. If you get enough measurements, and your methods of approximation start delivering very close (but not identical) results, then you are probably close enough for any conceivable application.

In my case I just stopped heating the water, put it in the mash tun, and ended up with a 153F mash - so that level of measurement was close enough.

E-mail messages obtained by a Freedom of Information Act request reveal that NASA concluded that its own climate findings were inferior to those maintained by both the University of East Anglia's Climatic Research Unit (CRU) -- the scandalized source of the leaked Climate-gate e-mails -- and the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration's National Climatic Data Center.

What's wrong, Marc, no cite? AFRAID to admit that the FOX News hackjob was the source of your quote?

How about finding that primary source instead of hearsay. A source that actually has some credibility.

***E-mail messages obtained by a Freedom of Information Act request reveal that NASA concluded that its own climate findings were inferior ....

All you're doing is quoting what was stated in the hack piece.
I gave you the text of the email exchange.
You reply by repeating a repeated hack job of an interpretation of that email exchange. It is an illuminating tactic however as it illustrates the "big lie" tactics employed by FOX (and others). Repeat it often enough and......

What's wrong, Marc, no cite? AFRAID to admit that the FOX News hackjob was the source of your quote?

How about finding that primary source instead of hearsay. A source that actually has some credibility.

He cited quoted it. He just didn't include the link.
Here it is.

It would seem that you place more trust in the credibility of the IPCC and NASA data than they do??!!?

You go out on a limb touting the impeccability of NASA, and the IPCC only to find it cut off behind you by those very entities. I would feel betrayed1

>I would feel betrayed

You must feel even more betrayed by this guy:

===========
Competitive Enterprise Institute Director Admits Funding Tied to Denial of Global Warming
March 29, 2010

Myron Ebell is a global warming denier with his fingers in many pies, all of them connected to the Competitive Enterprise Institute (CEI), one of the most vocal and well-funded of the organizations opposing action by the U.S. government on curbing climate change-causing greenhouse gas emissions. Mr. Ebell is not a scientist. He is, however, listed as the director of energy and global warming policy at CEI, as well as the director of “Freedom Action”, an astroturf organization loosely affiliated with CEI. Mr Ebell also chairs the “Cooler Heads Coalition” headed by CEI.

. . .
In 2006, Mr. Ebell appeared on BBC’s “NewsNight”, along with John Mitchell, Chief Scientist for the UK Met Office, and a lead IPCC author. Here is an excerpt from that interview:

BBC: Myron Ebell why do you imagine that Exxon gives you money?

Ebbel: You know, I think that the attempt here to claim that only the purest of the pure can engage in the public policy debate . . .

BBC: Please answer the question Mr. Ebell, why do you imagine they give you money?

Ebell: Because we send them letters asking them to support our general programs which… our general program is simply this: we believe in free markets and we support policies that promote less regulation of people’s daily lives.

BBC: And they would presumably not be giving you that money if they felt you were taking a different view on, say for example climate change.

Ebell: I suppose that’s right.
=====================

How does it feel to know that one of the leading deniers out there just admitted that they get paid to support a political position, not a scientific one? Or do deniers not really care about that stuff unless the other side is doing it?

It would seem that you place more trust in the credibility of the IPCC and NASA data than they do??!!?

You go out on a limb touting the impeccability of NASA, and the IPCC only to find it cut off behind you by those very entities. I would feel betrayed1

You should feel betrayed by those that taught you English comprehension.

This is something that I have a problem with.

Is "science" not "science" because one group or another funded it? Let's say Ebell comes up with something that is reproducible and verified. Does it mean it isn't science because chicken little paid for it? Or chicken biggie?

Yet, there is some degree of trust that the US Government (a political body) has nothing behind the objectives. There is. What agency, bureacracy, etc., does not seek additional funding from the government on the basis of a problem?

Scientists are human. They want funding. They want to get on the bandwagon. And the government funds the study of problems - not the study of non-issues.

It happens on all sides. The funding does not make the science valid or invalid.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

>Is "science" not "science" because one group or another funded it?

Science is science no matter who funded it. However, when the person/orgaization funding the research makes it clear that they will lose funding unless they conclude X then there's a good basis for thinking that their research may be biased.

> And the government funds the study of problems - not the study of
> non-issues.

Hmm. I can think of a lot of very expensive space exploration that hasn't been "the study of problems." What problems have the Hubble or the Mars rovers solved?

One of the functions of government (in my opinion) is the study of more theoretical and non-practical science that would not be funded otherwise. Space exploration, high energy particle physics and nuclear fission/fusion are some examples that come to mind. Part of the reason is a responsibility to make wise investments in the future for the people of the US - a cheap and simple nuclear fusion process would be of massive benefit to everyone living here, for example. Another part of the reason is a responsibility to humanity in general. We as a race will benefit greatly if we can start living on other planets, and our lives will be forever changed if we do find life somewhere else in the universe.

Given the less-practical nature of those pursuits, study of what will happen to the planet we're living on over the next 100 years strikes me as a good use of government money - whether the answer is good, bad or indifferent.

This is something that I have a problem with.

Is "science" not "science" because one group or another funded it? Let's say Ebell comes up with something that is reproducible and verified. Does it mean it isn't science because chicken little paid for it? Or chicken biggie?

Yet, there is some degree of trust that the US Government (a political body) has nothing behind the objectives. There is. What agency, bureacracy, etc., does not seek additional funding from the government on the basis of a problem?

Scientists are human. They want funding. They want to get on the bandwagon. And the government funds the study of problems - not the study of non-issues.

It happens on all sides. The funding does not make the science valid or invalid.

Both the NSF and the NIH use panels of independent scientists to evaluate research proposals. I have been on NSF panels. We get paid for our travel and accommodation. I can assure you that the government's wishes are not made known to the panelists, nor is any pressure of any sort applied. Neither can the govt. buy my opinion for the cost of a night in a Holiday Inn and a round trip coach class air ticket on "We_treat_you_like_cattle Airlines".

Both the NSF and the NIH use panels of independent scientists to evaluate research proposals. I have been on NSF panels. We get paid for our travel and accommodation. I can assure you that the government's wishes are not made known to the panelists, nor is any pressure of any sort applied. Neither can the govt. buy my opinion for the cost of a night in a Holiday Inn and a round trip coach class air ticket on "We_treat_you_like_cattle Airlines".

Government funding for unbiased study of pot use is a whole different matter.

+1
I review grant proposals for NIH and NSF, as well as some private agencies. I have never once been told to slant my reviews to fit any "government policy". The only criteria we consider is the importance of the research problem and the quality of the experimental plan. I also kind of resent the insinuation that scientists or "the government" have to fabricate problems like Malaria and West Nile so we can have an excuse to suck at the public teat or somehow expand my "power" over the public or whatever.

Don