aphid

2010 Olympics (Winter) Vancouver

As a Canadian and British Columbian, this is MY Olympic “moment”. It’s lengthy, so ignore it if you are so inclined.

Somebody special will light the official 2010 Winter Olympic flame this Friday in Vancouver. It might be Wayne Gretzky, Steve Nash, Nancy Greene-Raine, or possibly Gordie Howe. All of whom are quite deserving.

I would like to nominate somebody else, even though I know it is far too late for VANOC (Vancouver Organizing Committee) and the Canadian Olympic Committee to consider it.

I don’t nominate this person for themselves. I nominate them for what they represent. I nominate them because they seek no personal glory. I nominate them because they represent my country and our ideals in the purest and most sincere way I know.

Canada is still a nation devoted to Peace. A country dedicated to paying whatever price necessary to protect the innocent. A nation of people, especially the young, who aspire to make the world a better place for all who follow.

On behalf of all those who would make the world a better place, I nominate General (retired), Mr. Romeo Dallaire, and through him, every young man and women in uniform as well as the loved ones they leave behind, to carry the torch into the Olympic opening ceremony and ignite the cauldron of Peace and Freedom to the world as a gift from Canada.

As I said, it is far too late for Mr. Dallaire to be selected. So please, Mr. Gretzky, Mr. Nash, Ms. Raine, Mr. Howe, or whomever is ultimately selected: could you kindly wear a yellow ribbon in honour of all those mentioned above?

Respectfully.
A humble but very grateful and proud Canadian.

(If you don’t understand the message, Google “General Romeo Dallaire” and sit down for a long read)

You want a politician to light the Olympic flame? You want a Liberal Senator to light the Olympic flame? I thought the Olympics were NOT supposed to be politicized? Yet here you are calling for a politician to politicize the games? BTW since Nancy Greene is also a politician (a Conservative appointed Senator) she too should NOT be the one who lights the Olympic flame. If she was to be selected this too would come off as political.

You should stick to your original intuition and have someone like Gretzky, Nash or Howe light the flame. But none of these guys have roots with the Olympics. How about choosing someone with traditional Olympic roots? Or better yet how about choosing an unknown, like a young child to light the flame (you know like they did in Calgary in 1988). Nah ... that would not work. It's much better to choose a Liberal Senator. :S

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

Yes and that is EXACTLY why John was nominating Dallaire....[:/][:/]

Can you put aside your disdain for Liberals just long enough to see what John is saying? Can you understand why maybe, just maybe he might be a good candidate? Does the fact that he is a Liberal senator completely diminish what he accomplished up until that point?

C'mon...

Can you put aside your disdain for Liberals just long enough to see what John is saying?

Well if it would shut up the whiny Liberals and their publicly funded media for just two weeks, then yes maybe allowing Mr Dallaire to light the flame would not be such a bad thing. Personally I do not have anything against Mr Daillare (though I think Canada has had much better military leaders than he ever was). But I don't think that would matter. The Liberals have been whining everyday since they lost power and they are pissed to the gills that they are not at the front of the troughs doing their time honored tradition of padding their pockets with tax payers money.

I just love how the mainstream media works in this country. Harper prorogues parliament and all hell breaks loose in the media. McGuilty prorogues the Ontario legislature and the media is silent on the issue doing their best to keep it low key.

I know it's not written in the history books Liberals like to follow, but when called upon Canada's military can act as the savage warriors that they are just as well as they can deliver humanitarian aid when needed. But the military needs the population to support them, the military does not need witch hunts for alleged crimes they did NOT commit and the military needs to be properly funded for them to do their jobs. To send the military to the most dangerous region of Afghanistan poorly equipped all because some Liberal PM dithered when assignments were being allocated is NOT a sign of good governance. The days of the natural governing party are over. The Liberals have to earn the right to govern instead of believing it is their god given right. :P

Can you put aside your disdain for Liberals just long enough to see what John is saying?

Well if it would shut up the whiny Liberals and their publicly funded media for just two weeks...

I guess that answers my original question.

I stand my my original stance of "Do not politicize the Olympic Games". No politician (regardless of what party they represent) should be the one who lights the flame. This honor should be reserved for a Canadian athlete or an unknown child.

Say whatever you want. Free speech is something worth protecting.

I just call "bullshit" whenever someone tries to tell the world Canada is a nation of peacekeepers. The history books tell a completely different story. When called upon the Canadian soldier is just as good acting as a savage warrior doing the job they are trained to do as they are delivering humanitarian aid.

There is nothing wrong with peacekeeping when there is peace to keep. Cyprus is an example of a successful peacekeeping mission when Canada helped keep the Greeks and the Turks from going at each other. Somalia was an example of a poorly run peacekeeping mission. But the Somalis were largely responsible for this failure since the Somalis were never interested in peace. Whether or not Afghanistan has been worth it is still yet to be determined. But Afghanistan never was a peacekeeping mission. It was a combat mission with some humanitarian efforts coupled in with it.

Canada is a peaceful nation. But when called upon, the Canadian soldier has a history of acting like a savage warrior just as much as they are good humanitarians. Why do some Canadians continue to ignore this fact? Politics that's why ...

but did it snow there yet, or are they flying the snow in from elsewhere yet?

I was curious about that too. How much snow does the Vancouver area get anyway?
I have never been there before but I was told that being near a warm(ish) ocean current significantly reduces the annual snowfall there.

No empirical data, just personal observation:

The city receives typically 3-4 snowfalls annually, amounting anywhere from 5-10 cm (2-4 in) each. It is a west-coast sea-level city renowned for its annual rainfall amounts. Few drivers ever equip their vehicles with winter tires.

All of the indoor venues which don't require natural weather are situated in Greater Vancouver. These would be hockey, curling, speed and figure skating for example. With appropriate facilities, Miami (or Durban) could host those Olympic events.

Whistler/Blackcomb is hosting most of the Nordic and Alpine events. It is not unusual to be able to enjoy a round of golf in town the same day as skiing on the mountain with a base of 269 cm (105 in). For current skiing and snow conditions, you can check: http://www.whistlerblackcomb.com/weather/snowreport/index.htm

The only venue of concern is Cypress Mountain, home to the freestyle ski and boarding competitions. Due to the extraordinarily warm winter we are enjoying this year, they are having to undertake measures to preserve and conserve snow. Time will tell how successful their efforts have been.

It's been interesting to watch the small but active groups opposed to the Games in action. Speaking only for myself, I think they're one of the best things we've tackled in our province in recent memory and I plan on enjoying them thoroughly, both in-person and on TV/Net.

And finally, in response to the idea of Betty Fox lighting the flame: not on my list of choices, but I respect those who do support her.

John

Canada is a peaceful nation. But when called upon, the Canadian soldier has a history of acting like a savage warrior just as much as they are good humanitarians. Why do some Canadians continue to ignore this fact? Politics that's why ...

If this was the 60s I'd be asking you to share the acid.....

Well Dallaire did not light the flame, but he was honoured suitably, as was Betty Fox and Anne Murray. None of them were athletes so they carried the Olympic flag.
The five who lit the flame in the stadium, Gretzky, Steve Nash, Rick Hanson, Catherine LeMay, and Nancy Green were perfect. All were Olympians who are emblematic of excellence in sport.

I liked the poets speech, a bit of a jab in the ribs to the seppos there;), and overall an inspiring and positive piece.

I really liked the whales swimming through the stadium also, very well done!!

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

Well Dallaire did not light the flame, but he was honoured suitably, as was Betty Fox and Anne Murray. None of them were athletes so they carried the Olympic flag.

You missed Julie Payette. Not an athlete but a prominent Canadian.

I am not a big fan of K.D. Lang, but her rendition of Leonard Cohen's "Hallelujah" was magnificent.

That wasn't KD Lang. It was Michael Madsen. Not sure how he hit those high notes though. :ph34r:

Seriously, she did a great job with that song. ;)