Anyone watching the Brown/Coakley race?

"Riding a wave of opposition to Democratic health-care reform, GOP upstart Scott Brown is leading in the U.S. Senate race, raising the odds of a historic upset that would reverberate all the way to the White House, a new poll shows.

Although Brown’s 4-point lead over Democrat Martha Coakley is within the Suffolk University/7News survey’s margin of error, the underdog’s position at the top of the results stunned even pollster David Paleologos."

http://www.bostonherald.com/news/politics/view/20100114brown-out_poll_shows_scott_brown_trumping_martha_coakley/

"Once we got to the point where twenty/something's needed a place on the corner that changed the oil in their cars we were doomed . . ."
-NickDG

That's the guy that Reid said he wouldn't seat, right?

I'm curious as to how that works if he were a clear winner, and the MA Sect'y of State certifies the result, does Sen. Reid really have a choice?
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

I'm curious as to how that works if he were a clear winner, and the MA Sect'y of State certifies the result, does Sen. Reid really have a choice?

Evidently he thinks he does. Whether he has a leg to stand on in a legal sense in that regard, I don't know.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Evidently he thinks he does. Whether he has a leg to stand on in a legal sense in that regard, I don't know.

But all he has to do is delay it in order to allow passage of the HC bill, right?

"Once we got to the point where twenty/something's needed a place on the corner that changed the oil in their cars we were doomed . . ."
-NickDG

But all he has to do is delay it in order to allow passage of the HC bill, right?

I'm *certain* that the "most ethical and transparent administration EVAH" would *never* stoop to anything like that.

Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

I'm *certain* that the "most ethical and transparent administration EVAH" would *never* stoop to anything like that.

Maobma is on the phone right now with Sen. Reid (speaking in a non-Negro dialect, of course).

-NickDG

It has been reported that the real delay will come from Mass officials who will drag their feet to certify the election:|
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

Why are you a racist and hater of children and puppies?

:P:P:P

:D:D:D:D
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

I live in New England and thats all that they have been talking about the last week that and the Patriots sucking balls.

Don't know enough to coment; but one thing i have heard is the same shit. The rep. say Brown is the way to go (tax cuts, blah blah blah )and coakley well bring more socilizm(blah blah blah), and the dems saying Brown is just like Bush(blah blah blah).

Its all Bullshit to keep all of us feeling like it matters. They will both get massive amounts of money from large corporations and do what they want them to do at the end.
I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." - Kurt Cobain

If this thing is remotely close, (within 5-10 points) no matter who wins. It will signal HUGE problems for the Democratic party and the presidents polices in the 2010 election.
This race should have been a shoe-in for democrats, the fact that it is even somewhat close shows many are swinging against the current direction of the Democratic party and the president.
IMHO

"Just 'cause I'm simple, don't mean I'm stewpid!"

If this thing is remotely close, (within 5-10 points) no matter who wins. It will signal HUGE problems for the Democratic party and the presidents polices in the 2010 election.
This race should have been a shoe-in for democrats, the fact that it is even somewhat close shows many are swinging against the current direction of the Democratic party and the president.
IMHO

That makes sense.
----

And now there's this:

"The libertarian candidate in Tuesday's special election for the late Ted Kennedy's Senate seat is named Joe Kennedy, raising the possibility that some confused voters may pull the lever for a man they don't support."

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010/01/15/insurgent-candidates-help-race-kennedys-seat/

-NickDG

IMHO

That makes sense.
----

And now there's this:

"The libertarian candidate in Tuesday's special election for the late Ted Kennedy's Senate seat is named Joe Kennedy, raising the possibility that some confused voters may pull the lever for a man they don't support."

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010/01/15/insurgent-candidates-help-race-kennedys-seat/

Sounds like the MA voters need to remember that it's not 'Kennedy's seat".
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

IMHO

My thoughts exactly.
There are battered women? I've been eating 'em plain all of these years...

It will signal HUGE problems for the Democratic party and the presidents polices in the 2010 election.

I think you're pretty far off the mark there. Every local election is just that, a LOCAL election and the only time a seat is really up for grabs is when the incumbent has completely screwed things up or, as in this case, the incumbent dies. Incumbents usually win and right now there's still a lot of Democrats sitting in seats.

Numbers across the country are still pretty much split 50/50 on how people feel about the next election, which, I think says that at this point in time, nobody really has a strong claim to 2010.
Source: http://www.pollingreport.com/2010.htm

I really don't think you're going to see a huge and successful "throw the bums out" thing happen in 2010. Oh sure, people will try, but it takes something pretty big to actually do it.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

I really don't think you're going to see a huge and successful "throw the bums out" thing happen in 2010. Oh sure, people will try, but it takes something pretty big to actually do it.

From an Allstate/National Journal poll:

Elected Officials on Developing Solutions to Financial Issues Total
Excellent 1%
Good 17%
EXCELLENT/GOOD (NET) 18%
Fair 36%
Poor 44%
FAIR/POOR (NET) 80%
Don’t Know/ Refused 2%

Hell, a CNN (!) poll has the Reps +2 ....
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Mike, I think we might be able to agree Polls can be slightly rigged depending on a number of factors. I almost never take a single poll at face value, not even the ones I really, really want to agree with. ;)

I think if you take a look at ALL the 2010 polls on PollingReport.com you'll find they pretty much even out when looked at as a whole.

If I consistently saw a 5% advantage, yeah, I think that might be a pretty clear signal something huge was going to happen, but it's just not in the numbers. One poll will show the Ds up by 2% and another the Rs up by 2% and always well within the margin of error. There simply is no groundswell of uprising against the Democrats at this point. At least, none that the polling data supports.

Remember, it's not ever about what we personally think or even what the people we associate with think. Those are ALWAYS going to be skewed numbers.

quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Mike, I think we might be able to agree Polls can be slightly rigged depending on a number of factors. I almost never take a single poll at face value, not even the ones I really, really want to agree with. ;)

Agreed.

I think if you take a look at ALL the 2010 polls on PollingReport.com you'll find they pretty much even out when looked at as a whole.

[If I consistently saw a 5% advantage, yeah, I think that might be a pretty clear signal something huge was going to happen, but it's just not in the numbers. One poll will show the Ds up by 2% and another the Rs up by 2% and always well within the margin of error. There simply is no groundswell of uprising against the Democrats at this point. At least, none that the polling data supports.

Dot-mil blocks pollingreport.com, for some stupid reason. Looking at the generic congressional poll at RCP, it shows the Reps gaining since mid-summer, so, while I'm not going to say it's a 'groundswell', I'm not sure it should be discounted, either.

Remember, it's not ever about what we personally think or even what the people we associate with think. Those are ALWAYS going to be skewed numbers.

I don't disagree - sampling bias can easily skew the numbers, that's why I was so surprised to see the CNN poll show the Reps positive, since they tend to have a higher representation of Dem respondents.

The large disparity between total approve/disapprove in the NatRev poll was surprising, as well.
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

I think you're pretty far off the mark there. Every local election is just that, a LOCAL election and the only time a seat is really up for grabs is when the incumbent has completely screwed things up or, as in this case, the incumbent dies. Incumbents usually win and right now there's still a lot of Democrats sitting in seats.

Not necessarily. This was the excuse given in the 2009 elections when Virginia and New Jersey lost their governorships to the GOP but New Yorks congressional race went to the democrats. Governorships are local and the senate and congress are national.

Brown is pretty much running his whole campaign on "I will not vote for health care." That should speak volumes.

Of course Coakley is not helping herself out much either with "There are no terrorists in Afghanistan," the "I didn't see him there" comment after one of her cronies took out a reporter and she stepped over him, and her absolute abysmal performance as a DA giving special favors to her buddies. Particularly the police officer she let go on his own recognizance after raping a 23 month old girl with a curling iron. In all fairness he did eventually get 2 life sentences.

Brown has also had the best line of any campaign. "It's not Ted Kennedy's Seat, it's the peoples seat."B|

I guess there are a lot of factors to consider. But in a state that already has universal health care and last had a GOP senator back in 1972, we should really pay attention.
"There is an art, it says, or, rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."
Life, the Universe, and Everything

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>.

They will have to seat him, but there will be so called
legit procedural time frames. (delays)

Yesterday Coakley made the gaff that will from here on out be known as
"The Gaff that destroyed the Health Care Bill"
She called Curt Schilling a Yankee fan. I'm not much of a base ball follower but even I know about the Yankee/Red Sock rivalry. Calling the Boston Red Sock that won them their only world series in the last 86 years a yankee fan will not sit well with the voters.

I guess them Dems just lost their 60th senator.:ph34r:
http://www.politico.com/blogs/bensmith/0110/Coakley_and_Schilling.html?showall

"There is an art, it says, or, rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."
Life, the Universe, and Everything

I think it now be safe to say that this race is offically a referendum on Obama's health care mess. Since he, Obama, has now said so himself.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010/01/17/health-care-line-obama-heads-massachusetts/

President Obama warned Massachusetts voters Sunday from following Republican Scott Brown's old pickup truck around the state, saying if elected to the U.S. Senate, Brown will drive health care and the rest of the Democratic agenda off track.

I have to say I think these comments are a huge mis-calculation on his part.

In a quip he repeated several times during a campaign appearance for Democrat Martha Coakley, Obama mocked the man who has been driving a pickup truck around the state, claiming he's a "lockstep" Republican.

"Martha's opponent already is walking in lockstep with Washington Republicans," Obama said, criticizing Brown for opposing the president's proposed tax on Wall Street. "She's got your back, her opponent's got Wall Street's back. Bankers don't need another vote in the United States Senate. They've got plenty. Where's yours?"

Guess we will get a glimpse of the outcome on Wednesday.

Prediction?

I have a feeling that this will not be close enough for the Dem to drag it out. (that's either a prediction or a blind hope):$
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln