lawrocket

Thoughts on this Harsh Winter

>Ever notice that hotter summers and warmer winters are evidence of
>global warming, but cooler summers and colder winters are 'just weather'?

75F here today.

Irrelevant, bill. I say it's irrelevant because it makes a competing point.

Also, because I was specifically limiting this to the AO as much as possible. As stated, it was warmer in a number of places. And, just 250 miles north, here in Fresno, we maxed out at 51 degrees. But, seeing as your and my temperatures are pretty insignificant deviations from the mean, I would think that you are putting this in for the heck of it.

What's been going on with the AO is pretty damned significant in its intensity.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

The sides now participating in the spinning of this winter - which appears to be particularly harsh in the Northern Hemisphere. "What happened to global warming?". "Here's proof that it isn't happening."

Not unusually cold here in Chicago.

well, it's 120% of last year for heating degree days. And today's high was over 30 degrees below the record of 60 degrees set back in '80. sorry. 1880.

And of course, you know that your temperature is irrelevant to the Northern hemisphere as a whole and the AO.

I wonder - what is the source of Chicago's hot air?

Indeed mate, I think I might of seen the same picture you mention; worst of the weather is in the east; air mass causing it all is coming from the north east (Polar/Scandinavia/Russia) itself.

Nice to have a proper winter for a change though.;)

'for it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "chuck 'im out, the brute!" But it's "saviour of 'is country" when the guns begin to shoot.'

Indeed mate, I think I might of seen the same picture you mention; worst of the weather is in the east; air mass causing it all is coming from the north east (Polar/Scandinavia/Russia) itself.

Nice to have a proper winter for a change though.;)

Best dig through the closet for your snowshoes!!
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

> It would be much cooler if we all ate better.

Not enough whale in our diet, no doubt.

Cruelty-free whaling: whales, disoriented by being blinded by silver halogen headlights, jump into the fishing boats.

So, NOW we know why Moby Dick attacked the Pequod.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

So who gives a shit?:)

Al Gore's 'carbon credit' company?

There is another two other companies setting themselves up to make Billions should cap n tax get put into place

GE and EXON
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

The sides now participating in the spinning of this winter - which appears to be particularly harsh in the Northern Hemisphere. "What happened to global warming?". "Here's proof that it isn't happening."

Not unusually cold here in Chicago.

:D:D

http://archives.chicagotribune.com/2009/jan/14/local/chi-tom-skilling-explainer_0114jan14

Dont get me wrong. I think it is just part of the natural climatic cycle
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

True. It's Climate change now. But warming. Just look at the Copenhagen summit, where a researcher posted his estimate of 6 feet of sea level rise by 2100. Others (like the Met) denounced it. He responded by saying it's likely an underestimate.

He based it on IPCC estinate of 6.4 degrees of warming - which seems a little high based on current trends.

Doubters - yes. Current trends.

True. It's Climate change now. But warming. Just look at the Copenhagen summit, where a researcher posted his estimate of 6 feet of sea level rise by 2100. Others (like the Met) denounced it. He responded by saying it's likely an underestimate.

He based it on IPCC estinate of 6.4 degrees of warming - which seems a little high based on current trends.

Doubters - yes. Current trends.

Better hope its all a fantasy... your part of the valley will make a nice inland sea... very soon.

Global Warming is not the preferred term. "Climate Change" is much more vague. Since climate is always changing, there is simply no way to be wrong. So call it climate change, add "anthropogenic" to it, and you are set. [Cool]

Global Warming is not the preferred term. "Climate Change" is much more vague. Since climate is always changing, there is simply no way to be wrong. So call it climate change, add "anthropogenic" to it, and you are set. [Cool]

Of course, there IS another hemisphere on this planet.

www.bom.gov.au/announcements/media_releases/climate/change/20100105.shtml

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Four things:

(1) My explicit references to the Northern Hemisphere would put most on notice of a Southern counterpart;
(2) My discussion was specifically with regard to the Northern Hemisphere, the AO, and the balancing effect the cold temperatures will have on global climate;
(3) Please make up your mind about whether local weather has any implication on climate research; and
(4) Hot temperatures in Australia are no more oroof of global climatew change (AGW) than cold temperatures in the north disprove it.

I figure you know these things.

Climate has changed thousand of times through out Earth’s history… We all know that.
A major volcanic eruption can cause more trouble in our weather system than we can imagine.
…but
It took millions and millions of years to have all of our carbon based energy resources deposited (oil, coal, and natural gas). We sent a big chunk of it up to the atmosphere as CO2 only in 100-150 years!!! I think it’s pretty obvious this human made pollution has some major effect on Earth’s climate. It’s silly to say this whole issue is Al Gore’s “evil liberal agenda”.

The scary part of it is if we just stop carbon emission (like not burning fossil fuels at all) would collapse the world’s economical, political, and social structure. But if we don’t stop using carbon based energy then “Mother Nature” will take care of us sooner or later.

Nikola Tesla saw this problem coming in 1904 already! (way before Al Gore);)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nikola_Tesla

Climate has changed thousand of times through out Earth’s history… We all know that.
A major volcanic eruption can cause more trouble in our weather system than we can imagine.

Too right.

It took millions and millions of years to have all of our carbon based energy resources deposited (oil, coal, and natural gas). We sent a big chunk of it up to the atmosphere as CO2 only in 100-150 years!!!

True. Much was sequestered, etc., and released. I agree - to think it has no effect seems silly.

It's "what is the effect and how big is it?"

It’s silly to say this whole issue is Al Gore’s “evil liberal agenda”.

True. I don't find it to be an evil liberal agenda. In fact, I think Al Gore is the most genius capitalist of the last half century. He created a market and is a bazillionnaire.

Follow the money...

It was stated just a few days ago by some coal guys in West Virginia quite nicely: "Global Warming is a political and legal reality." What they meant is that regardless of fact, it is reality.

Repeat something enough and people will believe it.

"Tesla just couldn't figure out how to make any money on it. "

He wasn't a money man at all! All the money he made or received as a grant he used for his researches. He was a very rare individual...
The link I attached in the previous post actually tells about his whole life story. Just read it!;)