JohnRich

Ban military-style semi-auto firearms?

The type of (car/gun) you choose DOES reflect on your personality.

You can't buy the gun equivalent of a corvette. The differences between a .22 to a .38 to a 9mm to a .45 to a semiautomatic rifle like an AR15 just isn't that great. The same short amount of training would allow a newbie to safely use any of them.

A weapon indeed makes an average person MORE dangerous. Do you really think Seung-Hui Cho would be able to kill 32 people if he didn't have access to guns?

What gun did Tim McVeigh use to kill 168 people?

How is that relevant in any way?

And the equally obtuse comment by SkyDekker:
"What does that have to do with the fact that a gun does incrase the lethal potential of the average person? "

George asked a simple question - how could Cho kill 32 people without a gun. Simple answer. And as proven in the middle east every week, guns do not defend nearly so well against bombs.

Let's not forget that the Columbine punks tried to bomb the cafeteria. Had they succeeded, the death toll could easily have been substantially greater. Had they not had guns as plan B, they may have instead tried again with the bombs.

But jeez, enough is enough. All that to the side, we don't need people bringing these topice WITH PICTURES to everybody and their brother's attention.

All of his guns pictured are legal.

This should really drive you nuts then:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vopYDdRSDoA

That's me in the front.

Yep. And next one has an idiotic hat. How stylish.

A bunch of ***** enjoying themselves. That just tells me every fool can use this gun.

:|

dudeist skydiver # 3105

Yep. And next one has an idiotic hat. How stylish.

Not everyone is so shallow to be worried about what people think about what they wear. That hat is about function, not trying to impress people.

A bunch of ***** enjoying themselves.

If ***** means "legal citizens".... Yep.

That just tells me every fool can use this gun.

I am willing to bet that you could not handle it without training. I can make that claim since I have one, have been trained, and have trained others.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

The type of (car/gun) you choose DOES reflect on your personality.

Yes, but the problem is with you incorrect conclusion you came up with.

Your opinion is no more valid than mine. Probably less so since you clearly have emotional attachment to your guns.

Which I already covered and you ignored, "Wanting one can also indicate several other things. Your illogical leap only fits your perception, not reality."

You stated, "But the type of personality that wants a Corvette is, apparently, more likely to lead to problems. "

Nonsense... I know plenty of 40 year olds with Corvettes, and MY insurance rates on a Vette would be LOWER than my current car based on history, age ect.... (I looked at them last year).

I don't know many 40 year old teenagers, which is what my example stated.

(I know some that behave like teenagers)

Your insurance example has two major flaws:

1. It is a PRIVATE company charging more. There is no LAW that says a 20 year old can't own a Corvette.
[/reply

Not relevant in the least.

2. Your "dangerous" personality argument is really more about inexperience driving than the car.

How much experience do you need to own a semi automatic firearm?

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

A bunch of ***** enjoying themselves.

I have to correct myself: A bunch of ******.

Shorts, idiotic tourist hats ... shooting into mother nature like fools - where are the beer bottles in that movie? Thrown back over the shoulder??

Seriously, that is how you handle such weapons??

How happy am I to be far away. Just to imagine every idiot could enter such a shooting range to *play around* with these deadly weapons like a little dog with a ball [:/][:/] - makes me freeze B|

dudeist skydiver # 3105

How happy am I to be far away. Just to imagine every idiot could enter such a shooting range to *play around* with these deadly weapons like a little dog with a ball - makes me freeze

Places like that are NOT public gun ranges. And any weapon is a deadly weapon if used for such purposes, i would venture to bet that none of those weapons have ever caused harm to anyone. As for "every idiot", nah they can't find the place.:D

Never look down on someone, unless they are going down on you.

I have to correct myself: A bunch of ******

Nice to know you can't act like an adult.

Shorts, idiotic tourist hats ... shooting into mother nature like fools - where are the beer bottles in that movie? Thrown back over the shoulder??

Jump to un-backed conclusions much? This shows your level of maturity. You have no idea about the situation, the targets, nor the range... Yet you claim to know everything.

I don't know why I expect any different from you. You have shown yourself time after time to be a small minded person who jumps to conclusions without any data.

You have no idea how happy we are to have you and your small minded egotistical type so far away from us.

Care to describe your "knowledge" of the range? The target? The situation? Or just continue to claim to know everything and show yourself to be foolish?
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

How happy am I to be far away. Just to imagine every idiot could enter such a shooting range to *play around* with these deadly weapons like a little dog with a ball - makes me freeze

Places like that are NOT public gun ranges. And any weapon is a deadly weapon if used for such purposes, i would venture to bet that none of those weapons have ever caused harm to anyone. As for "every idiot", nah they can't find the place.:D

They are not???

Every one keeping weapons like that in hands can go there, no? Or are these ranges only open for an exlusive minority? The ones with floppy hats ?? :S

What I see in this few seconds movie is: Few men standing with automatic weapons shooting into the neighborhood like idiots, dressed like idiots, senselessly *banging* just for fun (what fun?) ....

That is how you control (or do not!) your weapon keeping folks??? :o

One of them might have had a drink too much (don't tell me, somone is controlling that!), a beef a home with his wife, on his way home getting into trouble with some other folks - he just might pull out his semi-somewhat and shoot ....

Woah. No thanks.

I appreciate our strong firearms law. And the fact, that I'm allowed to keep *normal* weapons as much as I like. Of course, under control of Big Brother ;)

dudeist skydiver # 3105

Your opinion is no more valid than mine. Probably less so since you clearly have emotional attachment to your guns.

My opinion is more valid than yours since I actually know about the weapons being discussed. Your opinions are based on ignorance and fear.

In this case, you are the whuffo claiming that skydiving is for people with a death wish.

Yet the law being discussed is not about age limits... so again, your conclusions are not valid.

Also, you might want to re-read your post.... A 20 year old is NOT a teenager.

Very relevant since you tried to use a private company policy concerning a small age group and an object to compare to a LAW about ownership of an object to ANYONE.

There are already laws about age of ownership.

How much experience do you need to own a semi automatic firearm?

Not the point... the point is that you used a bad example (A private companies policy on risk with an age group and an object) to a LAW about flat out ownership.

You do know that the private insurance agency WILL insure a Corvette for a 20 year old right?

Just admit your logic was faulty and your example was bad and move along.

How many mid life crisis types have you seen whose ability to buy extreme toys with thier far greater credit or checkbook than their ability to control said extreme toys?. I have seen far more major screwups by guys like that in the marina/ on the water or out on the roads than I care to remember.. some survive that mid life adolesence... some do not.

Perhaps Officer TackleBerry might have some stats on that.;)

How many mid life crisis types have you seen whose ability to buy extreme toys with thier far greater credit or checkbook than their ability to control said extreme toys?

A lot. But I have seen the same type jump canopy's too small and date women too young for them. That does not mean the State should make it illegal.

Let's not forget that the Columbine punks tried to bomb the cafeteria. Had they succeeded, the death toll could easily have been substantially greater. Had they not had guns as plan B, they may have instead tried again with the bombs.

Yet it didn't work......turns out that building a bomb is more difficult than pulling a trigger......which really goes against your point.

How many mid life crisis types have you seen whose ability to buy extreme toys with thier far greater credit or checkbook than their ability to control said extreme toys?

A lot. But I have seen the same type jump canopy's too small and date women too young for them. That does not mean the State should make it illegal.

Nope but it does help keep the population down a little. What would the Darwin Awards be without guys like that.

Christel, your recent post was deleted. Just to be clear, in case you didn't get it, you can't attack another poster here even if they are in a video on the web. You can discuss the video, say you disagree with it etc but you can't say "everyone in that video is an idiot" (or other clever angles you can use to get a personal attack in.)

Yet it didn't work......turns out that building a bomb is more difficult than pulling a trigger......which really goes against your point.

The discussion is about killing potential, not difficulty. And no, it's not that difficult to make a bomb - the Anarchist Cookbook has been available on the internet since the beginning. Much easier to make something blow up once than to design a repeat use gun. And they had to break the law to get their guns, whereas the materials for bomb making are readily available.

Yes, their bombs failed, so they instead shot 13 people. We'll never know the alternative outcome had the guns not been available. I would think it would be easier to place a bomb rather than pull a trigger dozens of time, but I'm not a psychopath.

You are right! I had never thought of it that way. You have opened my eyes! :S It is the weapon that makes the person dangerous, not the other way around.

A weapon indeed makes an average person MORE dangerous. Do you really think Seung-Hui Cho would be able to kill 32 people if he didn't have access to guns?

Better keep a watch on this one, then, so it doesn't jump off the table and start shooting the place up:

Clicky
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

The discussion is about killing potential, not difficulty. And no, it's not that difficult to make a bomb - the Anarchist Cookbook has been available on the internet since the beginning. Much easier to make something blow up once than to design a repeat use gun. And they had to break the law to get their guns, whereas the materials for bomb making are readily available.

Yes, their bombs failed, so they instead shot 13 people. We'll never know the alternative outcome had the guns not been available. I would think it would be easier to place a bomb rather than pull a trigger dozens of time, but I'm not a psychopath

Yet, school shootings, mall shootings, multiple cop shootings, church shootings are far more prevalent than the bombing equivalent of each (in North America anyways), which would give some validity to the thought that acquiring guns, ammo and shooting are easier than building a bomb, placing and detonating. My personal belief is that such is the case because firearms are that much easier to get, than bombs are to build.

Yet, school shootings, mall shootings, multiple cop shootings, church shootings are far more prevalent than the bombing equivalent of each (in North America anyways), which would give some validity to the thought that acquiring guns, ammo and shooting are easier than building a bomb, placing and detonating. My personal belief is that such is the case because firearms are that much easier to get, than bombs are to build.

And in the Middle East (Iraq, Israel), the opposite seems true. Bombings are much more prevalent, much more deadly. And these are areas where guns are available. But if you're willing to die in the process, it appears that bombs work better.

Combine the two together and the conclusion is that it's about the people, not the tools they use.

Mine are more valid than yours since I know about them. Yours are based on ignorance and the emotion of fear.

So even if we both have an emotional aspect... Fear is a stronger emotion than "attachment" and I at least have knowledge about the objects based in training and experience.

Very relevant... You are trying to compare a private company policy about an object in a specific set of circumstances to a State law forbidding ownership of an object to anyone.

You do know that you can get insurance for a Corvette at 20 right? That is TONS different than a law forbidding an object to anyone.

Just admit your example and logic use is faulty and move on.

Yet, school shootings, mall shootings, multiple cop shootings, church shootings are far more prevalent than the bombing equivalent of each (in North America anyways)

And yet there are plenty of bombings as well.... Unibomber (3k/23w), OKC (168k/680w), WTC #1 (6k/1042w), The Olympic bombing (2k/111w),

So just that list has 179 killed and 1856 wounded. I would bet more have been wounded and killed in bombings than school and mall shootings.

Abortion clinic bombings have been 41 in N. America since 1977.

My personal belief is that such is the case because firearms are that much easier to get, than bombs are to build.

Have you tried to get a gun or build a bomb in the US?