JohnRich

Ban military-style semi-auto firearms?

News from Washington state:
State lawmakers to seek ban on sales of semi-automatic weapons

"In response to recent shooting deaths, three state lawmakers say they want to ban the sale of military-style semi-automatic weapons in Washington. The legislation would prohibit the sale of such weapons to private citizens and require current owners to pass background checks. The ban would cover semiautomatics designed for military use that are capable of rapid-fire and can hold more than 10 rounds. Semiautomatics designed for sporting or hunting purposes wouldn't be banned..."
Source: http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2010527541_gunban17m.html

AR and SKS owners: get ready to submit yourself for a background check. I suppose this would cover M14's/M1A's, and M1 Carbines too. And of course, this background check effectively registers you with the state as an "assault weapon" owner, and someone who needs to be watched closely.

Don't lawmakers know that anybody can saw the barrel off on a shotgun, and have a weapon that is probably more lethal than a semi-auto rifle, for close range killing.

Ignorance is bliss though....I imagine many people will sleep better knowing there are fewer army style guns available....

Isn't shooting someone to death already illegal in Washington?

I suppose so. But apparently being shot to death with an SKS is much worse than being shot with a bolt-action rifle. I guess that's like the "hate crime" laws, whereby being attacked because you're a homosexual is much worse than just being attacked for your wallet.

Here are the rifles I own which would fall under their definition: (see the attached photo).
From top to bottom:
- AR-15
- M1A (M14)
- M1 Carbine
- Russian SVT-40
- French MAS-49
Gosh, they sure look evil, don't they? I better keep an eye on the rascals!

I wonder if one background check would cover me for all current "military style semi-auto rifles", or would I need a separate background check for each one?

I suppose so. But apparently being shot to death with an SKS is much worse than being shot with a bolt-action rifle. I guess that's like the "hate crime" laws, whereby being attacked because you're a homosexual is much worse than just being attacked for your wallet.

Here are the rifles I own which would fall under their definition: (see the attached photo).
From top to bottom:
- AR-15
- M1A (M14)
- M1 Carbine
- Russian SVT-40
- French MAS-49

I wonder if one background check would cover me for all current "military style semi-auto rifles", or would I need a separate background check for each one?

those could kill someone. better get rid of them before they actually kill someone:D

From top to bottom:
- AR-15
- M1A (M14)
- M1 Carbine
- Russian SVT-40
- French MAS-49

WAY too many calibers.. you should standardize a bit. Easier to stock up that way;)

I would not worry about us here in WA too much.... cooler heads will prevail after all the cop killer frenzy dies down.

Don't lawmakers know that anybody can saw the barrel off on a shotgun, and have a weapon that is probably more lethal than a semi-auto rifle, for close range killing.

Ignorance is bliss though....I imagine many people will sleep better knowing there are fewer army style guns available....

Sawed-off shotguns are illegal already. Why waste time going after something that is illegal when you can ban something else?
HAMMER:
Originally employed as a weapon of war, the hammer nowadays is used as a
kind of divining rod to locate the most expensive parts adjacent the
object we are trying to hit.

WAY too many calibers.. you should standardize a bit. Easier to stock up that way;)

The bottom three of those I don't very shoot often, so having a supply of ammo on hand for them is not a burden. The top two are shot monthly, and I reload for those.

I would not worry about us here in WA too much.... cooler heads will prevail after all the cop killer frenzy dies down.

I hope so. I wouldn't want to see you have to undergo a background check for your commie rifle. ;)

Who do you predict will win the court case challenging Seattle's city property handgun ban?

The bottom three of those I don't very shoot often, so having a supply of ammo on hand for them is not a burden. The top two are shot monthly, and I reload for those.

I hope so. I wouldn't want to see you have to undergo a background check for your commie rifle. ;)

Who do you predict will win the court case challenging Seattle's city property handgun ban?

I already have a background check and get another one yearly for the WAC card which makes it easy for the dealers at the monthly shows to sell to me with no more unneccesary waiting. I like the fact with those all I have to do is show the permit and poof no waiting period for any new items.

The people will win.. since it is a second amendment issue.

Not anymore. Washingtonifornia here you come! [:/]:D

Trust me there is a LOT of sentiment against any form of Californication of Washington.:ph34r:

Must be all the whining about "when is the SUN going to come out??" :P
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Not anymore. Washingtonifornia here you come! [:/]:D

Trust me there is a LOT of sentiment against any form of Californication of Washington.:ph34r:

Must be all the whining about "when is the SUN going to come out??" :P

Well most of them cant handle the very short gray days.... most of them run home anyway when the sun does not come out for months on end.. some of them just get it over with and open a vein..... I think this is the source area for the highest statistics of Seasonal Affected Disorder.

I think this is the source area for the highest statistics of Seasonal Affected Disorder.

I had read something about it being more prevalent in the Northwest, but didn't realize it was THAT large of a problem. I apologize for making light of it.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Hi JR,
So the big deal is "Military Style" semi-auto's. So, what delineates a "Military Style" from a "Non-Military Style???" Is there a "Civilian Style" Class of weapons?? Very interesting?? Hmmmmm.....? Maybe if you put lipstick on yer' .45 cal 1911-A1.....?:ph34r::ph34r::D:D;);)

SCR-2034, SCS-680

III%,
Deli-out

I'm actually curious as to when they're going to try to ban 'scary' looking knifes (better not let the govt know about my KA-BAR). But yeah, your guns are FAR too dangerous. What you should do is send them to me and Ill be sure to turn them in to the proper authorities (you know, to help keep you off the radar). Actually you can keep the russians. All I wan.........er I mean the authorities are concerned about are the expensive US ones that I dont have yet........
Muff #5048

Gun laws that prohibit certain configurations that are readily changed ONLY hurt the people who intend not to do harm.
Here is an example how you could very easily, and legally, possess an assault rifle that has no serial number. Buy an AK parts kit online, as well as a stamped receiver. Bend the receiver, and assemble the gun. Here in California, you cannot purchase high capacity magazines, but you can buy "parts kits" which just means it is disassembled. Fully automatic parts are legal too, the receiver just can't accept the parts. So, in a short amount of time, all you have to do is (illegally) modify your receiver and (illegally) install full auto trigger group, (illegally) assemble the 100 round drum magazine, and you are killing spree ready!

AR and SKS owners: get ready to submit yourself for a background check. I suppose this would cover M14's/M1A's, and M1 Carbines too. And of course, this background check effectively registers you with the state as an "assault weapon" owner, and someone who needs to be watched closely.

Good! anyone that wants to own such a weapon should be ragarded as potentially dangerous.

There is no need for such aggressive behaviour, it only encourages death and destruction and that is not good at all.

Hunting if done respectfully is o.k. but 'every' gun owner should have a background check.

Any violent crimes or tendencies and gun ownership should be seriously considered.

Too many nut cases out there to allow open slather!
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

Good! anyone that wants to own such a weapon should be ragarded as potentially dangerous.

You are right! I had never thought of it that way. You have opened my eyes! :S It is the weapon that makes the person dangerous, not the other way around.

I own an AR and at home it has a trigger lock on it. Not for safety. I put the trigger lock on for transport to and from the range and don't see a need to take it off at home(unless I'm cleaning it). It comes off when I get to the range. I have handguns around the house without a trigger lock though.

You are right! I had never thought of it that way. You have opened my eyes! :S It is the weapon that makes the person dangerous, not the other way around.

I own an AR and at home it has a trigger lock on it. Not for safety. I put the trigger lock on for transport to and from the range and don't see a need to take it off at home(unless I'm cleaning it). It comes off when I get to the range. I have handguns around the house without a trigger lock though.

I think he makes a valid point, as wanting one of them indicates a certain mindset in the individual.

We know for sure that a similar situation exists with cars. A 20 year old driving a Corvette is charged huge insurance premiums because the companies have a wealth of data indicating that this driver is more likely to do a lot of costly damage than one who drives a Focus. Is a Corvette intrinsically more dangerous than a Focus? I doubt it. But the type of personality that wants a Corvette is, apparently, more likely to lead to problems.

At least, this is what my brother-in-law in the insurance business tells me.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Have you lost your freaking mind? YOU of all people putting this kind of gun nut crap in the forums. Why don't you post a video with 5 or 6 of your buddies around shooting those rifles at the same time. That'll get you some attention. If you feel so strong about this topic, run for office. Posting a poll on DZ.Com will get you zip, but with all of the trolls, news personal and narcs hanging around you may just facilitate getting us all raided at some point. Does it make you feel good to display part of your "Collection" of semi-automatic rifles?

The jist of what I'm trying to convey to you is be quite already, keep this kind of crap to yourself. There are gun forums that would more than love your input.

P.S. I tried to PM you this, but you have me blocked for whatever sick reason. Makes me no difference really, I just didn't want everyone else to know that you're percieved as a rabblerouser and a fanatic. Don't go crying to the Mods because you think this is a personal attack, because it is not. The statements i made are based on my perception of you, and most certainly backed by the evidence you leave in these forums. Your always screaming about guns, guns this, guns that. If not guns then some other meaningless topic.
-Richard-
"You're Holding The Rope And I'm Taking The Fall"

Have you lost your freaking mind? YOU of all people putting this kind of gun nut crap in the forums. Why don't you post a video with 5 or 6 of your buddies around shooting those rifles at the same time. That'll get you some attention. If you feel so strong about this topic, run for office. Posting a poll on DZ.Com will get you zip, but with all of the trolls, news personal and narcs hanging around you may just facilitate getting us all raided at some point. Does it make you feel good to display part of your "Collection" of semi-automatic rifles?

The jist of what I'm trying to convey to you is be quite already, keep this kind of crap to yourself. There are gun forums that would more than love your input.

P.S. I tried to PM you this, but you have me blocked for whatever sick reason. Makes me no difference really, I just didn't want everyone else to know that you're percieved as a rabblerouser and a fanatic. Don't go crying to the Mods because you think this is a personal attack, because it is not. The statements i made are based on my perception of you, and most certainly backed by the evidence you leave in these forums. Your always screaming about guns, guns this, guns that. If not guns then some other meaningless topic.

Ah, do you know what John does for a living?
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln