Airman1270

Confessions of an accused "racist"

Okay, time to 'fess up. Some background: I grew up on Long Island in a predominantly white family living in a predominantly white neighborhood. I can count on one hand how many black folks I interacted with by the time I graduated from high school. I never had a negative attitude about blacks. Can't explain why, we just weren't raised that way. Didn't give racial issues much thought, as the subject was rarely brought to our attention. Life was good.

Fast forward to the early '90s. In my mid-30's I began paying attention to political & cultural issues and learned that I was being called a "racist." At first I thought these people were simply mistaken and would be glad to leard that I wasn't one. This is when I learned that an accusation of "racism" was a political weapon, and that the only way to avoid the charge was to advocate liberal politics and vote for Democrats. While this was offensive, I still did not allow my disgust with this cheap bullying tactic to translate into the adoption of any unkind attitudes toward black people.

Several years ago, in my late 40's, I finally began developing what can only be described as a bad attitude about black people. and you know what did it?

I started working for tips.

My radio career came to an abrupt end when the station was sold and I was cut loose in space. I grabbed a pizza delivery job just to stay busy, and am embarassed to admit how much I'm enjoying the work. But this experience has brought to mind a fundamental question of the universe: What the hell is the problem with black people and tipping?

Earlier this year I did a highly scientific study of tipping patterns. Every time I was severely undertipped or stiffed I made a note of the customers' racial background. After several weeks I had acumulated one "A," several "Ws" and more than a dozen & a half "Bs." There HAS to be some sort of cultural explanation. This can't be coincidence.

Yes, I've been tipped generously by blacks and stiffed by whites, but I'm focusing on overall patterns here. Some statistical breakdown: There was little racial discrepancy among teenagers. The articulate "professional" types (you know, the ones who, when you talk with them on the phone, you can't tell they're black) tipped about the same as most white folks. But the people who seemed to thrive on their intimidating "gansta" appearance are far too predictable in their inability to tip. There are several businesses to which we deliver frequently and it is amazing how often we not only are stiffed, but are kept waiting while they take their sweet time getting to us after we've arrived. Shall I explain what these businesses all have in common, or should I save it for Dr. King day?

Meanwhile, we can ponder another fundamental question of the universe: What is it about classical music that causes so many of the people who listen to it to think they are so much better than averyone else?

Cheers,
Jon S.

Earlier this year I did a highly scientific study of tipping patterns. Every time I was severely undertipped or stiffed I made a note of the customers' racial background.

That's not even close to a "highly scientific study." If you are using it to justify your "bad attitude about black people," then I would say that your views are based on racism and/or ignorance, not objective evidence.
Math tutoring available. Only $6! per hour! First lesson: Factorials!

your views are based on racism and/or ignorance,

That statement does more to support his statement the "racism" accusation are commonly used as a club to beat people with whom you don't agree.

Way to truncate a sentence in order to make a point that wouldn't apply if the whole sentence were quoted (and doesn't really even apply to the truncated version).

I went to a pretty exclusive high school. By far, the black and non-christian students were smarter, harder working and more driven than the white christian students.

Why was this? Does this mean that one race/religion is better than the other? Nope, it was because of my high school's admissions policies. They needed X% of non-white students and Y% of non-christian student to meet some state school board criteria, and they always enrolled at least that number. Which meant that if you were white, you were competing for one of 500 slots, but if you were black, you were competing for one of five. So the black students there were the cream of the crop.

That's called "sampling bias" and it's why you can't draw global conclusions from anecdotal stories like that.

RACIST!

;) Just kidding. I work for tips too. I get shitty tips from black people as well. I just suck it up, give them the same great service I do everyone else, and accept the shitty tips. Maybe some day it'll change, but for right now I don't mind as much. I'm used to it. [:/]

Edited to add: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6pi-9LBtxs

I attended a small rural school, rarely more than 750 total students K-12. Not once did a black student hold office in student councel, graduate in the top 25% of any class, or become a member of the National Honor Society.

Could be because there were never any black students while I was there.
HAMMER:
Originally employed as a weapon of war, the hammer nowadays is used as a
kind of divining rod to locate the most expensive parts adjacent the
object we are trying to hit.

I went to a pretty exclusive high school. By far, the black and non-christian students were smarter, harder working and more driven than the white christian students.

I lived in the residential honors dorm my freshman year in college. Since we were a bunch of geeks, one of the girls on my floor went around and collated everyone's SAT scores and high school GPA. On average, the Asian students had the best scores, with the caucasians generally somewhere in the middle and the african-americans at the bottom of the distribution.

Why was this? Because the program was required to maintain a rough racial balance, so it was easier to get in if you black, and harder if you were asian.

My anecdotal evidence appears to support exactly the opposite conclusion as yours.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

>My anecdotal evidence appears to support exactly the opposite conclusion
>as yours.

Sounds like it supports exactly the same conclusion. It was harder for asians to get in; the available slots were low compared to the population applying. So they could get the "cream of the crop" so to speak. For black students it was the opposite.

That would be a poor reason to conclude that asians are smarter than whites as a race, or that blacks were dumber.

Your personal experiences lead you to make assumptions about people based on their race. That's just as justifiable as the prejudice that blacks who are treated differently by a disproportionate number of white might feel.

So if one is OK, then the other is, right?

Sauce for the goose, sauce for the gander. And the only one who can stop is is you, for you. Just as the only one who can stop it for them is them.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Hi Wendy:

.....Your personal experiences lead you to make assumptions about people based on their race....
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Actually, It is amazing how some people have fallen into my trap. I'm just reporting my experiences with my customers. I knew from the beginning that some would interpret this as "racism." To these folks I ask: How can we discuss such matters without the conversation being sidetracked into these offensive accusations?

Cheers,
Jon

Unfortunately, what Airman reports is absolutely true. ANYONE who works for tips in the restaurant or service industry will tell you the same. They may do so behind closed doors or under their breath, but they'll agree.

Why isn't it ever stated? for this EXACT reason! Because the minute someone says it out loud to people who have never worked for tips, they get accused of racism.

I'm not racist. I think anyone on here who has met or knows me at all would agree. I don't give a flying fuck what color your skin is. (most would say i don't give a flying fuck about most things, heh). I NEVER approached a table at which a black party was seated in ANY different way than i did a white or asian table. But i can tell you without a doubt that over time (and i mean several years, at several different restaurants in several different locales) there is a DEFINITE tipping trend.

Call me a racist, i don't care. I know it's not true.

Honestly, the absolute worst tippers a FEMALE server (i don't think it's the same for a male server) can run across are groups of "professional" businesswomen. Lunch time or happy hour, i can tell you that my worst experiences, from the general attitude of the customers when i approach and throughout the meal, to the 5% tip at the end, ALL came from dealing with parties of 4 or more businesswomen.
Never meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!

replying to myself is stupid. sorry...

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=1329241

good link there. who knows, maybe it's a subconscious thing, but when you work at a chain restaurant as i did, the standards of service are the same across the board, and if you didn't do them, you got fired. So even if i was having a wretched night and doing the minimum..it was for EVERY table. i know a lot of servers are crap, but i actually enjoyed doing it, and took my job seriously.

I say i don't care what people think of me, but when i was serving, that was a different story. mainly because i wanted to make money!
Never meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!

Unfortunately, what Airman reports is absolutely true. ANYONE who works for tips in the restaurant or service industry will tell you the same. They may do so behind closed doors or under their breath, but they'll agree.

That was not my experience as a (male) server or bartender. On average, I found blacks to tip as well as other races/ethnic groups/age groups (better than some), although I suspect their variance to be higher than most groups (i.e., I typically received a very large or a very small tip from blacks), judging only from my own experience in the service industry. The OP's "highly scientific" study missed out on such possibilities.

Anyhow, anecdotal evidence is what most people use to gauge other people's true characters, and to predict other people's probable future course of action. It's at least partly why older people generally tend to be better at those skills than younger people are - their relative wealth or dearth of "life experience" - which is to say: anecdotal experience. It may not strictly comport with the scientific method of research, and it probably over-emphasizes some variables and under-emphasizes others, but it is what it is. My point being: I wouldn't necessarily reject it out of hand.

Viewing Airman's posts, it seems to me that his conclusions (whether right or wrong) seem based mainly on personal anecdotal evidence and his interpretation of same, and not on racism.

exactly. Though it may not be entirely anecdotal. Did anyone read the NPR article i posted? there are possible legitimate reasons why blacks tip less.

Honestly, if i had to rank the worst tippers based on demographic, it would probably go like this (purely based on my experiences as a FEMALE server in several restaurants in several locations):

1. groups of businesswomen (all races included!)
2. the after-church crowd on sunday lunch (ironic, isn't it?)
3. african americans (and to be crass, truly a subset, as Airman mentioned. for lack of a better term, the more "ghetto", the less tip)

my theory on the businesswomen is that they may be feeling truly superior to me, since they are corporate hot shots (even if they are secretaries) and i'm a lowly waitress, and why haven't i dragged myself out of the gutter enough to find a real job like them. Can't reward me for slacking!

As for the church people, a notable exception was Jesus, of course. :P By that i mean the time i waited on Jim Caveziel and his family. He played Jesus in Mel Gibson's movie, and is a devout catholic. they left me a 30% tip. ;)

My wife came from very humble beginnings, she used to be a waitress, and knows what it's like to be treated lousy by customers. She's now a well-educated professional, but she hasn't forgotten where she came from. She always tips waitstaff VERY well.

Serious question. Why is the tip based on the amount of the check? It's a good starting point but here is my example.

If I go into a restuarant with friends and only order a $8 appetizer and a $2 drink, my tip would be about $1.50 to $2 based upon my total bill. (based on 15% to 20%)

Now lets say the person next to me orders a $25 meal and a $2 drink, his/her tip would be $4.05 to $5.40.

The waiter/waitress made the same amount of trips, so essentially the same amount of work. So why the difference?

(BTW, I always tip 20% in the waiter isn't a complete dick)